• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone seriously believe the Todd Howard meme?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Todd Howard is a hero.

Lrao7nD.gif

It's not anything like that though.

This was a bold-faced lie
abc.png

Nothing Todd has said comes close to this. If you can point out an example with an article or video I'll shut up.

You having a well-known vendetta against Bethesda doesn't negate the silly statement of the OP, especially with no proof to back it up.
I'll leave it at full of lies, then. Big as an ocean, shallow as a puddle..

Infinite quests is a lie though. There's a finite number of variables with a finite number of possibilities. Yes they can combined in many, many different ways to create "new" quests, but there is a finite number of combinations, correct?

Todd Howard said:
There's a series of scripted quest lines, of course, which will follow the main plot and a number of subplots like those belonging to Skyrim's various guilds and The Dark Brotherhood, but once you've completed these, Howard says that the Radiant storytelling system will continue to generate tasks. These can involve stealing gems for the thieves guild, or assassinating NPCs for the Dark Brotherhood.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-has-infinite-quests-says-howard/

This is what he said, and then sites blew it out of proportion and people started to develop unrealistic expectations. And he meant infinite in terms of neverending. Radiant quests weren't a problem until Fallout 4 where they used them as a crutch for unique quests.

I wouldn't call "do the same quest ad nauseum" as "infinite" or anything near that term.
Fuck technically.

He never used infinite, the site did. He said after the main guild storyline ended there would be randomly generated small tasks, is he wrong? Is that a lie?

Tigress

I have found that what Todd Howard says seems to be true. But then you find the implementation and it's not done well. For example he said so many variations of guns and crafting in 4 and yes, there is. But when you actually get the game and look at it, you have very little variation in base guns and every variation in gun is one form of the base gun with mods. So yeah, there's a lot of variations in guns, but it really doesn't feel so cause in the end they are all pipe rifles. It feels like there are like 5 base guns and a ton of ways to mod them. Or for example the infinite quests. yes, there are. But since they are all generated and they just tell the computer to generate the same kind, it's all go find this for me at this dungeon. So in the end they all feel the same.

It's not that he lies, it's that he's good at making it sound really cool cause he'll only point out the selling points. And then you get the real thing and it's what he said but you realize it's not as good as he made it sound. So it's best to be a little wary when you get excited at what he says as it may not be as good as he makes it sound.

In short: it's like Bethesda gets good ideas but needs to implement them better. He gives you the idea they had. But then you find the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Though he outright lied when he said they made the dialogue choices so that you would know what you were responding when you picked it and you wouldn't be surprised cause your character said something entirely different than what you meant for them to respond. BEcause... honestly, the dialogue in 4 is awful about that. I've complained a little about Witcher being like that. But witcher felt like it was more that you can't completely avoid that when you don't show the full dialogue and I could still see how answering one way would get that. Even if I didn't expect the answer to be that way, it makes sense in hindsight at least. I've been totally shocked by what I pick and what my character says in 4 (how the fuck was I supposed to know she'd say that from those words?!). And I don't think Bethesda knows what sarcasm is because so many times I am like, "That's not sarcasm."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you're at the point where you're going, "well he's not lying because it's technically true," you already know he's being deceptive.

Todd Howard is a man full of shit and what i personally find frustrating is that no games media ever calls him out on his bullshit when they interview him, instead they kiss his ass non stop, but such is the way of the world. Just gotta learn to accept it.

CloudWolf

Fallout 3 has over 200 ending permutations.

No, it doesn't. Unless you're actually counting "well, if you didn't do that Agatha quest, her picture won't show up" as a seperate ending than the one where you did everything the same plus that quest so the picture of Agatha and her violin shows up, which a normal human being wouldn't.

Theosmeo

1. Skyrim has infinite quests
2. Fallout 3 has over 200 endings
3. Radiant AI/it's not scripted

1. By that logic Spiderman 2 on the PS2/GC/XBOX also had infinite quests.

2. By that logic Fire Emblem 4 on the SNES should have been getting crazy praise in '96 for at least 300 endings.

3. By that logic GTA 1 on the gameboy had dynamic AI.

Tigress

If you're at the point where you're going, "well he's not lying because it's technically true," you already know he's being deceptive.

It just seems to me more that he gives you the ideas they had and implemented (but doesn't tell you how it's implemented) and they sound good in theory. And then you try the game and realize the implementation has issues and needs to be improved/changed. I could even see him honestly thinking this is great.

Actually, that's what I find frustrating about Bethesda games. They have good ideas but they could be so much better if they were implemented a lot better. It's what I love about New Vegas, Obsidian took what Bethesda did well and then fixed what they didn't. They got the implementation right and used the engine/game design's potential better for a good RPG (but, I think Obsidian is more focused on the RPG aspect where as Bethesda is trying to make a big playground for everyone with RPG not their first priority).

It's why I would totally love to see Obsidian do a Fallout based on Fallout 4's changes (and of course adding their own features ;) ). I think they'd take what Bethesda did well and actually implement it well and I think they'd focus it more towards RPG (Which 4's changes could still be used to do a decent RPG). And I think there is potential in Fallout 4. Especially now with survival mode. Hell, I hear Far Harbor kinda shows some of that cause it sounds like Bethesda heard RPGs fans' cries and actually addressed them in that DLC.

Though I will say vice versa happened with hardcore vs. survival. Bethesda took Obsidian's good idea and impleneted it a helluva lot better imho (and I in general am biased towards Obsidian's way of making Fallout).

Nosgotham

he doesn't "technically" lie but when he gets all excited about something and states some remarkable, unbelievable fact about an upcoming game you know to temper your expectations and not expect anything mindblowing. im basically like " that sounds amazing!!! but Todd howard said it so im not expecting much"

That's just as bad if you ask me
I call it the Molyneux effect and it makes me lose a lot of respect for the person making these huge claims

Todd Howard is my favorite person in the industry. Who doesn't pitch their games as best as they can? I think he is a genuine guy who tries his best to deliver us some awesome games that are truly worth our money and time.

Skyrim is such a masterpiece and I can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls

Masterpiece? really? im not saying its terrible but buggy, with a lot of improvement needed in the combat category. Masterpiece should be relegated to flawless games, yeah? I have yet to experience a masterpiece developed by Bethesda. I mean, its a common thought to just expect a bunch of bugs in a new Bethesda game.

Todd Howard is my favorite person in the industry. Who doesn't pitch their games as best as they can? I think he is a genuine guy who tries his best to deliver us some awesome games that are truly worth our money and time.

Skyrim is such a masterpiece and I can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls

nkarafo

What are those "infinite quests"?

If it's about repeatable quests, or randomly generated quests, there are tons of games doing that already.

Erevador

Howard is a super talented guy. All his games have great stuff in them. Some of them are better than others, but they're all impressive.

What's wrong with you people?

I mean, I enjoy his work, but those are technically true statements that can be very misleading. I, for instance, would not include minor differences in people at a location in a list of different endings, but it technically is.

Fallout 4 has infinite quests, and Preston Garvey is going to give you every last fucking one of them, if you want them or not. Submit to the Minutemen. Resistance is futile.

asocirev

It's like saying I own 100,000 outfits and then revealing that really I own 10 hats, 10 shirts, 10 pairs of pants, and 10 pairs of socks. True, but clearly not what you were imagining.

I'm playing catchup on who Todd Howard is and the math is a little off, but I like the analogy.

Kremzeek

I look at it from the perspective of everything he says is marketing PR-speak, which means half-truths and exaggerations.
I'm cool with it, since I have that expectation.

Nosgotham

Howard is a super talented guy. All his games have great stuff in them. Some of them are better than others, but they're all impressive.

What's wrong with you people?

Is anyone saying otherwise? obviously hes talented, obviously those huge selling games have great stuff in them. Also, its obvious you have to take his huge claims with a grain of salt.

jesu

I think he said Fallout 4 had three times the amount of songs as Fallout 3.
Well they don't all seem to be in my game :(

To everyone saying what he said is only "Technically true", that doesn't seem right to me. What he said at the time seems pretty accurate to what appears in the game. Lets look at some of the quotes and some articles from then:

Infinite quests

Howard told Wired.com in a phone interview Monday that the game will feature a never-ending stream of procedurally generated content, giving players an infinite number of things to do.

"The game’s Radiant quest system randomly generates new tasks based on your progress in the game."

http://www.wired.com/2011/11/skyrim-infinite-quests/

It specifically says it's about the number of things to do; the game has no limit to the number of quests you can do, which is how he said it would be. That is exactly how it is in the game. He didn't say anything about the content itself necessarily being never ending, his quote specifically relates to the amount of quests you can do and how many will be generated, regardless of what those quests actually contain.

Fallout 3 has over 200 endings

The original "over 200 endings" seems to have come from Destructoid who took his quote and stuck the title of "Fallout 3 will have over 200 endings, you will never have a life again" on it, but then 1 day later posted a new article updating it to say they were wrong and it isn't 200 endings, it's 200 permutations of one specific ending.

https://www.destructoid.com/update-...t-really-endings-but-permutations-77543.phtml

The ending is kind of cinematic, that’s dynamic based on the things you’ve done.

When we started, it was kind of fuzzy, it was like “well there’s like 9 maybe 12″ and we started adding things to it. So if you had done this or not this, you’d get this other tweak to the ending. And we kept doing that. And you know even just two weeks ago someone had this idea, “Oh we should add this idea to the ending” (sorry I’m not going to spoil what that is). And I said, “oh that’s a genius idea, we have to do that.” But then it became, “oh, but there’s four versions of that.” So i was like, “okay there’s like four different versions of that part,” and that multiplies by, at the time we were at about 60 endings…so now there’s four versions of that, so now there are around 240 versions.”

He's very clearly there talking about how what you do will cause a certain version of a thing to be included in the ending, not 200 completely separate and unique endings.

To me what he said seems exactly right. I don't see anything there or in the full articles that's been embellished or exaggerated beyond the usual stuff for a games developer, they're not suspiciously worded in a way that could be interpreted to be far, far better than what they are such as "There will never be repeating or similar quests!" some people seem to have expected. Yes, what was in the game may have been disappointing, but what he said matches up with how they are. Can someone please explain how those quotes are only "technically correct" in comparison to how they are in the game?

For the radiant AI, watching E3 2005 demo video there isn't anything i can see that stands out as wrong but it has been a very long time since i played any Oblivion. Can someone please point out what sort of thing this 'lie' involves?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I've never worried about his honesty

His taste is kind of questionable, though

To everyone saying what he said is only "Technically true", that doesn't seem right to me. What he said at the time seems pretty accurate to what appears in the game. Lets look at some of the quotes and some articles from then:

Infinite quests

http://www.wired.com/2011/11/skyrim-infinite-quests/

It specifically says it's about the number of things to do; the game has no limit to the number of quests you can do, which is how he said it would be. That is exactly how it is in the game. He didn't say anything about the content itself necessarily being never ending, his quote specifically relates to the amount of quests you can do and how many will be generated, regardless of what those quests actually contain.

Fallout 3 has over 200 endings

The original "over 200 endings" seems to have come from Destructoid who took his quote and stuck the title of "Fallout 3 will have over 200 endings, you will never have a life again" on it, but then 1 day later posted a new article updating it to say they were wrong and it isn't 200 endings, it's 200 permutations of one specific ending.

https://www.destructoid.com/update-...t-really-endings-but-permutations-77543.phtml

He's very clearly there talking about how what you do will cause a certain version of a thing to be included in the ending, not 200 completely separate and unique endings.

To me what he said seems exactly right. I don't see anything there or in the full articles that's been embellished or exaggerated beyond the usual stuff for a games developer, they're not suspiciously worded in a way that could be interpreted to be far, far better than what they are such as "There will never be repeating or similar quests!" some people seem to have expected. Yes, what was in the game may have been disappointing, but what he said matches up with how they are. Can someone please explain how those quotes are only "technically correct" in comparison to how they are in the game?

For the radiant AI, watching E3 2005 demo video there isn't anything i can see that stands out as wrong but it has been a very long time since i played any Oblivion. Can someone please point out what sort of thing this 'lie' involves?
As this thread shows, people aren't interested in the specifics of what he said. They'd rather take his quotes out of context or use clickbait article titles to try and prove their point that he's a lying scumbag because that's more fun to do.

As this thread shows, people aren't interested in the specifics of what he said. They'd rather take his quotes out of context or use clickbait article titles to try and prove their point that he's a lying scumbag because that's more fun to do.

Something else along the same lines that i remember was how one Fallout 4 developer said something about how after 300 hours he was still finding new things in the game, and that was then taken completely out of context and i saw something like "Fallout 4 has over 300 hours of content!" on a gaming magazine cover, despite nothing suggesting it was even 1 play through and there was no indication of what he even classed as new things.

This really does seem like people just ignore what he's actually saying, make up their own thing based on just the general idea and then say it was a lie when that guess is wrong.

Top Bottom