• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone think that NeoGAF should become a full-fledged gaming review and news site?

Should NeoGAF become a full-fledged gaming review and news site?

• Yes

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 183 77.9%
  • Reviews Only

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • News Only

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters

TLZ

Banned
If we can have our own game rating system, that would be cool. A proper one, where not anyone can vote. No room for review bombs. Only people presenting proof of playing the game long enough or better to completion can vote. Maybe post a screenshot of your trophies/achievements or play time, and wait for approval from mods. Only then your score is published.

Of course the score of a game is an average score of all scores/ratings submitted, as per usual. Let's call it Gamer Score/Rating instead of User. Let it reflect that Gamers actually played it. Not random nongamers review bombing for whatever reason.

An actual, proper game rating system. You don't have to be a journalist, you just need to be a gamer who actually played the game.

Last edited:
I think GAF works as it is. And it's not like we aren't receiving news and reviews, either directly or indirectly, through GAF either.

RGB'D

Terrible idea. It would be a SONY 10/10 extravaganza with Microsoft concern trolling 0-2/10 and middling Nintendo reviews.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

DonF

I mean, that what OT and lttp are for. People are free to write a long comment as a review.

reptilex

Banned
It'd be great if the thread feed was more clean and there wasn't all those click-bait, non-news, parasiting crap to make sure all interesting game news get through.

But no thanks, if I come here it is specifically because it's not a media...

Jtibh

Banned
No thanks.
I want to hear all end users experience with games , not interested in one persons opinion.

Jtibh

Banned
The community here is strong precisely because it is "site agnostic", apart from Evilore there are no figure heads, no one who has the "official site opinion", no one who is championing any particulate cause or argument around a game or console who's considered in a position of authority.
Except vfx??

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is hallowed ground that shall not be tainted by the likes of media bias.

We have enough of our own bias, thank you very much.

StormCell

I think the gaming media is already dead. It all went WOKE. There's obviously not enough interesting things to actually write about in the gaming space anymore, so the obvious course and direction is political shock factor to draw clicks/impressions.

Do you really want NeoGAF associated with those clickbait news sites?

dacuk

No... as it had turned into the "anti-Resetera" site... I do not care about politics in my video games at all, be it left- or right-sided.
I want to read about video games, and neither Resetera or NeoGaf are actually able to show this content without anybody trying to involve political sides or nuances in it.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
No. I wouldn't look at the other stuff unless linked from the forums.

They just made the SUPER IMPORTANT step of adding PRONOUNS to your profiles! It's so special that a site takes the time to add such an IMPORTANT FEATURE, I NEED people to know that I identify as a dragon/pony/kola/he/him/they it stops embarrassing moments! Gaf needs this!

/s(if you didn't get this already)

Wait. I would be fine if instead of pronouns we had icons representing our genitals. Or better yet GIFs so those in transition can keep us aware of their status.

Codes 208

Fuck no. If halo infinite had come out and ended up being a better game than 4 or 5, it would still get spammed by Craig memes and review bombs

and Nintendo wouldn’t stand a chance on this site

Patrick S.

Banned
I don't think it would work.

I used to religiously browse Quartertothree, and I loved Tom's reviews, but that's a different scenario, because Tom is a (somewhat infamously) renown jormalist/writer/reviewer, which EviLore isn't. And even though Nick Diamon's reviews, and the reviews of other contributors to that site, are generally a good read, they are not what I want out of that site.

So we can have a bunch of professional 'journalists' and reviewers dictate what we can talk about, eventually, and inevitably, based on their far left extremeist views, while being even more beholden to corporations and advertisers, just like every other shitty gaming website on the net?

Sign me the fuck up!

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind a section where people want to write up reports (deep dives/retrospectives) in a section separate to the gaming and community threads. At worst its a blog section no one reads, if its works we may get more into reviewing games and more people to follow.

I was always interested in doing reviews preferably VR and comparisons such as E3 in different years or console releases and hype in gaming and how to not fall for the same mistakes. You know general bullshit.

Dude, the review dicussions would look like this:
iu

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I get all my news from NeoGaf anyway, so no. And reviews are too subjective anyway, what’s one more voice in a sea of assholes?

Plus to me it seems like NeoGaf is emerging as a very unique beast — an enthusiast gaming forum where a more wide array of viewpoints/discussion are welcome, that isn’t ruled and run by virtue signaling, Neo-Marxist, totalitarian, far-left SJW zealots.

Although to be honest, I’ve seen those voices expressed here and I’m fine with it — that’s the key — we can disagree on things, talk about them, and still come together as gamers.

VN1X

Banned
As of now, as far as I can tell, NeoGAF is comprised of only forums, and even though only one of them is dedicated to video games, it is the most popular one. Furthermore, the very name of the site, "NeoGAF," pertains to games because it means New Gaming Age Forums. Hence, do you think that NeoGAF should expand by hiring editors to write reviews of games and to make corresponding videos, as well as articles and videos about video-game news?

Please express your opinions respectfully.
giphy.gif

Jeeves

I already find the site useful in its current form for rounding up news and for gathering consensus on games, although for the latter I think we're currently a bit too small and don't pay much attention to niche releases.

I kind of prefer the "raw" format of getting that info on forums and hearing dozens of opinions at once, so I don't feel like the addition of such a front page or whatever would be useful to me.

Zannegan

A lot of folks on here wear their biases on their sleeves, some like a badge of honor. Nothing wrong with that, it makes for fun discussion, but it's not so great for evenhanded news/reviews.

I like Neogaf as a place that aggregates and picks apart news from elsewhere. It would be fun if we had more insiders/leaks like we did in the old days, but if that's what we have to give up to lose the atmosphere of insanity and wrong think witch hunts, I pay it gladly.

vpance

The concept of going to sites for articles and news is dead. More now than ever with all the bullshit out there.

Last edited:

Tschumi

A) everyone here seems to share some degree of disregard for amateur game reviews
B) there are enough of those sites around already
C) the escapist forums are dead
D) this works fine already.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We don’t need an official structure. Just do those things yourself, and throw Gaf a link for any interesting news you see, or/and leave a thoughtful review.

We don’t have to be them. We can be even better, and democratize such things.

Top Bottom