• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does God of War (2018) have a greater combat system than Bloodborne?

What game has better combat in your opinion?

• God of War

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 111 71.6%

• Total voters

Shouta

They're aiming for different things in their design so it's pretty hard to directly compare them. I think GoW has a better system personally as it gives you so many options all at once to handle a situation. However, Bloodborne is a more calculated experience and asks the player to be familiar with their tools and to learn to play around the limitations of their character. The impact of the growth systems on the power curve in the game is huge too.

Aenima

Nop. GoW combat system is great and is much better than the old GoWs to me, but souls games (including Bloodborne) are at the top of the best you can get. Only other game i can think it can get close or rival with souls combat system is Dragons Dogma. Other recent games i enjoyed the combat more than GoW are Nioh and Nier Automata. Ofc this is just my personal opinion. Nothing wrong if some ppl like the combat system of GoW more than Bloodborne.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
surprised by the results

tenor.gif

hannibal2469

Neo Member
Bloodborne is better - Character movement and attacks feel more fluid and responsive. Dodging and parrying feel far more challenging and rewarding. Enemy and boss design is in a different league entirely. Better weapon design and variety. For all of the above reasons Bloodborne's combat system is vastly superior to God of war's.

bilderberg

Fuck no. GOW has no rules. Sometimes you'll parry an attack and go to punish but the enemy just goes into another attack. Their isn't any consistency. You can also brake the game and just rely on spam throwing the ax through 90% of encounters.

Neolombax

I'm not sure if they are even comparable. To me, the new GoW or GoW games in general, it promotes combo attacks. The combat in Bloodborne rewards precision. Its all preference really.

Games are too different. BB is more rewarding I guess but also far more frustrating. I'm someone that prefers the Souls games though. I think BB is a little too cramped for its combat style. The pistols can be inconsistent as well.

GoW was pretty awesome though as a package so combat wasn't the entire focus. Much larger scope of game there.

Hopefully BB2 is on PS5 and 60 fps.

chozen

Seems like not a lot of people here played GOW on Give me GOW and faced all the Valkyries. It's a far better experience than anything Bloodborne has to offer that I'm sure only few have got to try.

Yes it may sound like a lot to go through but the game caters to the general audience as well as hard core players looking for a challenge so the difficulty is changeable with the vision in mind "For all types of players"

I platinumed BB years ago because everyone says its a god tier game (I personally do not think so), I will NEVER understand the hype behind the combat. Souls games have always been clunky/glitchy to me.

The game does throw difficulty at you from the get go yes cause it was mean't to be that way. But I personally do not find it that hard when you can perfect parry everything with the pistol and cheese most bosses this way up to the final boss.

So my choice is GoW, y'all needa play it on the hardest difficulty. Sorry if it sounds like a weak argument it is what it is.

God Enel

The most bothering thing in souls like games and monster hunter and so on is.. You’re fighting all these giant monsters and you’re always hacking and beating their legs. It’s dumb.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The most bothering thing in souls like games and monster hunter and so on is.. You’re fighting all these giant monsters and you’re always hacking and beating their legs. It’s dumb.
Isn't that what exactly you do with Troll enemies in God of War (2018)?

noqtic

I'll take the fluid, fast paced and snappy feel of Bloodborne's combat over GoW's 'depth' any day. I beat God of War on "Give Me A Challenge' and it definitely had it's moments where the combat shined especially in Muspelheim, but most of the boss fights and quite a few normal encounters felt more like a chore than an actual test of skill. I feel like most of the challenge comes from the camera angle and the amount of enemies thrown at you at any given time.

Sygma

Yeah, it has a much better combat on all aspects. Hitboxes of bloodborne alone don't work in its favor, aswell as the weird sense of weight (not the weapons, the player model). Have played the game with nearly all the weapons and its still kinda basic combos with very few variations at the end of the day, and its not the stamina management or whatever that gives it spice. In gow you can stagger, create momentum, juggle, dodge, block and parry all at once while not having to worry about the hitboxes or anything, its all tightly designed

Nioh also has a much better combat than any From games. Funny how ripping of everything from Team Ninja minus combat design actually worked for From

Last edited:

Shifty

Multiple votes are allowed.

whydontwehaveboth.gif

Real talk, God of War. Bloodborne is great, but I'm bored to death of Souls in general at this point. God of War was something fresh.

I don't get it, do you expect the characters to jump into the air and start doing anime aerial rave combos?

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Boss and enemy variety alone give Bloodborne an another nod too.

I’ve been revisiting GoW lately too and I always had it on one of the harder difficulties. It’s my souls experience that carries over and while I love how the combat feels, the juggle mechanics, etc... it’s lacking elsewhere.

Then again ... GoW is also my favorite narrative experience in forever too. HOWEVER... Bloodborne is still the champ

Ten_Fold

I played the new god of war and wasn’t a fan, I’m not big on GOW anyways but it just felt OK at best, I guess I enjoy watching the cutscenes lol

Top Bottom