• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it annoy people in the US that so many actors in films/TV are British or Aussie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not really. Just happened to be born here. His parents are canucks and he grew up in the states.

I'd imagine he keeps a British PP though.

yeah stuff like this muddies the water, like people saying batman, spider-man and superman were all english. Bale is english, but Cavill is from Jersey and Garfield was born in Los Angeles to an American father.

Mel Gibson was born in New York. Ironically enough enough he had a prominent Australian accent in the original Mad Max which was redubbed with an American accent for the US cinematic release.
quick edit haha it ties in to my above point tho. completely forgot he was born in new york.

Kuros

Also with respect to game of thrones. Given it's filmed in NI. And the vast majority of Westeros is based on Mediaeval England it's a bit of a given your going to get a lot of British actors lol.

yeah stuff like this muddies the water, like people saying batman, spider-man and superman were all english. Bale is english, but Cavill is from Jersey and Garfield was born in Los Angeles to an American father.

Jersey is close enough, yeah technically it's not part of England but he would play for us in football.

Garfield, I didn;t know that tbh, but he grew up in England, his mother is English. We can call him dual-nationality I guess.

Kuros

quick edit haha it ties in to my above point tho. completely forgot he was born in new york.

It's always a muddle in the UK. Most of us have mixed blood.

Bale is was born in Wales. English Dad, Saffa mum.

OP should prob have gone with British. And anyone who knows anything about Cavill knows he thinks of himself as English. He's a rugby super fan for starters.

Bale is was born in Wales. English Dad Saffa mum.

OP should prob have gone with British. And anyone who knows anything about Cavill knows he thinks of himself as English. He's a rugby super fan for starters.
He's also a grade A twat so if America wants him they can have him

Also with respect to game of thrones. Given it's filmed in NI. And the vast majority of Westeros is based on Mediaeval England it's a bit of a given your going to get a lot of British actors lol.

It's also become culturally ingrained that medieval setting = English accent , even if the setting is fantasy. It would sound weird as hell if they all spoke with an American accent but it shouldn't do really. Especially because many people think now that the American accent is closer to what the English accent used to be, than the English accent.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nah, they're usually pretty good at pulling off the accent so I'm cool with it.

Australians have mastered the southern accent. They got that shit locked down. New York and Boston are the tough spots, they're usually so exaggerated that they come off cartoony. But even American actors have trouble avoiding that.

But just a generic non regional American accent? There have been more instances where I never noticed than ones where I immediately knew there were foreign born.

Are there any American actors in prominent roles in GoT besides Dinklage? I can't think of any; most are British or Irish besides the guy who plays Jamie Lannister.

NekoFever

We've been infiltrating American media and playing Americans for decades.

john-mahoney-frasier-zksqt.jpg

Kuros

Are there any American actors in prominent roles in GoT besides Dinklage? I can't think of any; most are British or Irish besides the guy who plays Jamie Lannister.

Momoa (though he never got to speak English) and one of the sand snakes is afaik.

The point made about British theatre actors not feeling like TV is beneath them is a very good one imo.

Kuros

Also if Sarah Paulson's accent in AHS is anything to go by i'm glad we don't get too many Americans playing British people. Christ.

Jersey is close enough, yeah technically it's not part of England but he would play for us in football.

Garfield, I didn;t know that tbh, but he grew up in England, his mother is English. We can call him dual-nationality I guess.

It's always a muddle in the UK. Most of us have mixed blood.

Bale is was born in Wales. English Dad, Saffa mum.

Ah I know that about Cavill it's just really interesting to me. I think Cavill's family are English and Scottish? Might be wrong on the Scottish but I think his mothers maiden name was Dalglish. Same with DDL he's English but has Irish nationality through his father, but his grandparents were Jewish Polish. I find it super interesting how diverse some people are and like I said I Garfield is a dual national and I would have never copped that.

Tevious

It really only annoys me when they take rolls meant to be played by minorities/other races. Like Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan.

Christian Bale. Although he says he's English he's Welsh.

Oh wow, I'm not sure how I didn't know Christian Bale is English.

It annoys me that Americans can't tell the difference between a British and Australian accent.

Maybe if more British people would use a Cockney accent we wouldn't have that problem.
I feel like I'm personally able to distinguish about 75% of the time.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why would actors acting bother anyone?

Or is this a "damn foreigners taking our parts" thing?

Oh wow, I'm not sure how I didn't know Christian Bale is English.

Maybe if more British people would use a Cockney accent we wouldn't have that problem.
I feel like I'm personally able to distinguish about 75% of the time.

Cockney and Aussie can sometimes bleed into one another. I seem to recall that the aussie accent is a derivative of cockney

Cockney and Aussie can sometimes bleed into one another. I seem to recall that the aussie accent is a derivative of cockney

I think I read once it's was a mixture of non english languages of the british isles (Irish, Scottish and Welsh) with "lower class" english accents of the time (cockney, scouse etc).

andycapps

Nah, they're usually pretty good at pulling off the accent so I'm cool with it.

Australians have mastered the southern accent. They got that shit locked down. New York and Boston are the tough spots, they're usually so exaggerated that they come off cartoony. But even American actors have trouble avoiding that.

But just a generic non regional American accent? There have been more instances where I never noticed than ones where I immediately knew there were foreign born.

Give me an example. Even Americans are bad at imitating a "Southern" accent. Mostly because it's a very stereotypical approach to the accent and doesn't have any of the nuance that an actual Southern accent has from someone that is educated, etc. It's usually an accent that's pushed by people from Hollywood that aren't from the region.

Rick's accent in TWD is awful, for example. Obviously he's British and so he's trying to imitate something that's very different for him, so it's understandable.

The guy that played Herschel did a great job with his accent, mostly because he's from Georgia and didn't have to try to overdo it.

Wuiji

Dominic West received a lot of credit for his accent being accurate, so this point is incorrect.

He may have been given credit for having an authentic accent, but it consistently slips. It was the same with Stringer Bell, I could tell that they weren't American actors.

Doesn't bother me at all, although when I started watching the Wire I had no idea McNulty was from the UK (or wherever he's from) and I thought he had the strangest accent.

Chao

I've always wondered if people in the UK find irritating that most movies/shows are made in the US so they have to hear they American accent constantly in the media.

jelly

I've always wondered if people in the UK find irritating that most movies/shows are made in the US so they have to hear they American accent constantly in the media.

Nah, not at all. I think escapism plays a part too. Think it's why I love more US shows.

One thing that is unbelievably grating in an odd way is a lonely American in a UK show. I cannot stand the accent for some reason. It sticks out way too much and annoys me.

Er well I think it used to be a lot worse (if worse is the correct word) . We have plenty of our own shows and movies although obviously plenty of american stuff too. You grow up with it. The worst part is your fucking kids trying to (badly) emulate an American accent because they think it's cool.

Australia is worse for it though. Their TV is wall to wall trash grade US imports.

No, but it's hilarious hearing their natural accents slip through. Their generic American accents can't fool me, especially when they try imitating a southern accent.

kswiston

Er well I think it used to be a lot worse (if worse is the correct word) . We have plenty of our own shows and movies although obviously plenty of american stuff too. You grow up with it. The worst part is your fucking kids trying to (badly) emulate an American accent because they think it's cool.

Australia is worse for it though. Their TV is wall to wall trash grade US imports.

Our kids try to do bad British accents and Australian accents, so I guess we're even. Of course, by British I mean the Queen's British, and by Australian I mean Crocodile Dundee or Steve Erwin.

Our kids try to do bad British accents and Australian accents, so I guess we're even. Of course, by British I mean the Queen's British, and by Australian I mean Crocodile Dundee or Steve Erwin.

Kids all over the world united in doing appalling and borderline offensive accents from other countries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom