• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it annoy people in the US that so many actors in films/TV are British or Aussie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

It's getting seriously weird

High points:

• McNulty and Stringer Bell both being English (I had no idea for ages)
  • Batman, Superman and Spider-Man all being English at one point
  • Hugh Laurie pitching up in House, playing massively against type (posh Englishman) and getting away with it.
  • Damian Lewis playing all manner of quintessential Americans
  • not acting but suddenly all the talk show hosts seem to be English

What's going on?

Genuis featuring Colin Firth, Jude Law (Thomas Wolfe), Nicole Kidman, Guy Pearce ( F. Scott Fitzgerald) and Dominic West (Ernest Hemmingway) as Americans might take the cake. But it's up to American actors to be better at their jobs.

I think it's amusing.

When British actors yell you can hear their real accent come out. Like it's impossible to yell in a foreign accent. I think this is why Bale spoke in that weird hushed voice for Batman.

Yeah, nobody cares, it's not a big deal. The thing about America is that there are so many more outlets for gigs compared to the UK that the talent naturally drifts over here for all sorts of filmed productions.

Finally got around to watching The Wire this past month, McNulty's attempt at a Baltimore accent is pretty hilarious for the first 2 seasons, then sorts itself out by the time season 3 comes around.

Surprised at no mention of Band of Brothers, as it was something like 50% plus british actors.

.JayZii

Banned
The only thing that bothers me is when their attempt at an American accent is just bad. Even that can be kind of fun, though.

Schlep

Initially it throws me off, because the actors usually look distinctly British. After a few seconds, I forget about it. It doesn't bother me in the least.

Kuros

Yeah, nobody cares, it's not a big deal. The thing about America is that there are so many more outlets for gigs compared to the UK that the talent naturally drifts over here for all sorts of filmed productions.

Finally got around to watching The Wire this past month, McNulty's attempt at a Baltimore accent is pretty hilarious for the first 2 seasons, then sorts itself out by the time season 3 comes around.

Surprised at no mention of Band of Brothers, as it was something like 50% plus british actors.

BoB had so many British actors due to being filmed in England and being part funded by the BBC.

Dexter Fletcher's accent was a bit weird in it but it's cos I'm so used to his normal voice. Lewis I didn't know was English at the time and would never have guessed.

Malyse

No. They weren't lucky enough to actually be born American so I'm okay that they get to pretend the dream for a while.

Aeana

Doesn't bother me at all, especially since they tend to be so good at shifting accents. I mean, it might have been weird if Idris Elba had his natural accent in The Wire, but be didn't and he nailed it.

Make a quarter of Nolan's Dunkirk's cast American, and we can call it even.

Really only annoyed when the accent is bad. It is very distracting. Also, stop doing southern accents.

EDIT: Look at Colin Firth here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIPqLocQ9E

Stop it, know your lane and just be an affably charming upper class British person.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

It doesn't matter how good the accent is (that one isn't great but still) all you're thinking is "you don't sound like that you fucking fraud".

It's getting seriously weird

High points:

• McNulty and Stringer Bell both being English (I had no idea for ages)
  • Batman, Superman and Spider-Man all being English at one point
  • Hugh Laurie pitching up in House, playing massively against type (posh Englishman) and getting away with it.
  • Damian Lewis playing all manner of quintessential Americans
  • not acting but suddenly all the talk show hosts seem to be English

What's going on?

Nothing. And that fire at the White House was just a coincidence. It's not like we're being invaded slowly or anything.

All this Hillary vs Trump stuff has the US tied up in knots. Both candidates are terrible, the system is fucked, who can we turn to?.....

UNION-566907.jpg

Welcome back, me old chinas!

edit because I can't seem to spoiler images

Doesn't bother me at all, especially since they tend to be so good at shifting accents. I mean, it might have been weird if Idris Elba had his natural accent in The Wire, but be didn't and he nailed it.

I had no idea Idris Elba was British until years later after watching the Wire. Hell, i just found out David Harewood from Homeland is British. LOL

karasu

Nope. My favorite actor right now is Michael Fassbender. Take all of the roles away from these Americans for all I care. It's odd sometimes, though. Like the Aussie dude on Strike Force was so over the top American that it was just hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom