• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it annoy people in the US that so many actors in films/TV are British or Aussie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notaskwid

I don't think there's any problem as long as their convincing at the role? Not something along the lines of Memoirs of a Geisha, where besides the movie being almost fully spoken in English, it's Chinese accent English, besides Watanabe.

Why would actors acting bother anyone?

Or is this a "damn foreigners taking our parts" thing?

Nobody cares, Americans are saturated with so much media with Americans in them; plus I don't think a lot of people are even aware some of the actors that are British or Aussie or even British or Aussie. LOL

I believe there was a thread a while back where it was discussed that black British actors were taking a lot of the good African American roles.

There are plenty of African American roles though, which is why British Black actors can benefit from those portrayals. Black folk just want to see Black folk on the screen, they don't care where they come from. Hell if anything, Idris Elba should've been Britain's Denzel by now headlining big budget Hollywood movies It's a shame they've squandered this potential that hopefully him headlining The Dark Tower franchise will put him on that path he was destined to walk.

only when the american accent is terrible

arrow-captain-lance.jpg

I'm up to my eyeballs in accents over here.

Can't think of any...

edit: Drogo and the Viper were both Americans apparently.

Momoa (though he never got to speak English) and one of the sand snakes is afaik.

The point made about British theatre actors not feeling like TV is beneath them is a very good one imo.

Ah, I should have remembered Momoa
as I have a man-crush on him
. Although to be fair he wasn't actually in it all that much, even though he was the catalyst for a lot of important events.

There are/were those persistent Bond rumours as well. I guess that's done now that Craig has signed back up. Elba will be too old .

I doubt there will ever be a non-British Bond again after the reception Lazenby got. Also, has it been confirmed that Craig signed back up? I'd rather have a new actor in the role now.

Link? That's a pretty fascinating, and on the surface, strange, trend.

It's not a trend. I honestly think the OP is overstating the amount of British or Aussie actors relative to ALL of TV/films that are released in America and only filtering it through whatever TV shows/films they watch.

John Barrowman killed me when I heard his real accent. I never knew he faked his accent all this time.

Wait... what's his real accent? Is it different to the one he has in Doctor Who?!

Most big movies these days seem to be filmed in the UK...

Uh, I doubt this is true.

he point made about British theatre actors not feeling like TV is beneath them is a very good one imo.

That's because they're used to it as they've all been in Casualty and Ms. Marple at some point.

As an Australian I found Margot Robbie to do a really bad job in Suicide Squad. Harley Quinn was speaking with a clear Aussie accent for half the movie.

Keri

If they're doing an American accent, I won't notice. Even if they're doing one badly, I'll probably assume they're trying to do some specific American accent poorly, but are still from another region of America (e.g. that guy's Boston accent sucks, he's probably from the South or vice versa). Also, if they're using their British accent than I just love listening to them talk...

So, I'm OK with it, 100% of the time.

Izuna

Banned
Why would anyone hate this? Talent is talent and you should be grateful you live in a country where having the greatest talent in the world regardless of origin happens where you live.

cDNA

Also with respect to game of thrones. Given it's filmed in NI. And the vast majority of Westeros is based on Mediaeval England it's a bit of a given your going to get a lot of British actors lol.
This sometimes bother me why almost everything inspired on medieval or even pre-medieval like "Rome" need to have some sort of modern British accent.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
if they can change their accent well, I'm okay with it. Bob Hoskins in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was the ultimate best British actor playing an American role

Doctor House however is annoying to no end

As a Briton I could hear the cockney a mile off and it was excruciating.

Btw Hoskins was a quarter Romani.

Gattsu25

Banned
It's never bothered me. If anything, I'm more impressed that not only was an actor/actress able to disappear into a role but they did that while overcoming an accent as well (case in point: Stringer Bell)

That said, it's the natural consequence of American's insulting kids who are interested in taking Drama electives.

Szu

Meh, Americans got to be Marie Antoinette, Margaret Thatcher, and Sherlock Holmes.

So, it kinda evens out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This sometimes bother me why almost everything inspired on medieval or even pre-medieval like "Rome" need to have some sort of modern British accent.

There's actually an excellent reason. Globally more people can recognize class distinction between various British accents and still understand that they are regional. You can hear kingliness, pauper, brute, lickspittle, hero, villain etc. Most people can't do that with any other accent. Imagine game of thrones where Tywin sounds like a southern slave owner and the hound is a hillbilly.

Non English? Forget about it. I can just about hear posh French and German and maybe common Japanese and I think I have an excellent ear.

For the most part, it seems nobody really cares about who plays White Americans or White Europeans or Black Americans or Black Europeans or Africans as long as their White or Black, respectively.

But Elba is British

I have no idea what this comment means in context to my comment. I never mentioned Elba and I'm sorry to have to break it to you but he will never be Bond primarily because he's too old. They will be looking to cast an actor about a decade younger than him. (EDIT - although I think it would be great to have a black actor play the role).

Meh, Americans got to be Marie Antoinette, Margaret Thatcher, and Sherlock Holmes.

So, it kinda evens out.

And Robin Hood. The last time we had an English Robin Hood was in a shitty Mel Brooks comedy more than 20 years ago.

Kanhir

Wait... what's his real accent? Is it different to the one he has in Doctor Who?!

He has two real accents, like Gillian Anderson. Naturally has a Scottish accent which he still uses with his parents and other Scots, and an American accent he picked up as a kid to be accepted in America.

Did he fuck your girl or something?

Cute.

Henry Cavill said:
On diversity in Hollywood:
It’s the issue right now as far as the entertainment industry is concerned.
I honestly believe that every year there are people passed over who should have been nominated, and that there are people who shouldn’t have been nominated who are. And I don’t think anything has ever changed in that respect. It’s subjective. I watch movies with my girlfriend all the time, and I will sit there and say, ‘That was shit!’ and she’ll go, 'Really? I enjoyed it!’

He's really good at being a jerk

But, that said, this year in particular, there seems to be a serious lack of black guys and girls being nominated, maybe the solution is to have more diversity in the members. But does that mean we are saying that to have more black academy members would result in more black nominations? Is that not racist itself?

Um.

thefro

Barrowman has dual-citizenship. Moved to the US when he was 8 and grew up in Illinois after that (where he intentionally switched to an America accent since kids made fun of him). He has natural Scottish & American accents he can switch between.

Sarek

Pretty much most of Game of Thrones' cast

GoT is probably the best example. Isn't Dinklage actually the only US actor playing a major role on that show?

Edit: Also most of it is shot in Europe. Doesn't bother me a bit though I like the british accent and ain't from the US myself anyway!

LifEndz

Not at all. The only time I even get somewhat annoyed is when an actor with an English accent is playing a character that's supposed to have a southern-american or northeast-american accent and the actor delivers the lines in several different accents (see Andrew Garfield in Spiderman or Lauren Cohen in Walking Dead). Other than that, it's not a factor. Get the best actor that can play the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom