• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does PS Vita exist / Lack of Vita games at E3

Misterhbk

And thats the problem. I'm a gaming enthusiast, i have a backlog of PSP games to play, i'm a gaf member and keep up to date on games and even japanese games. Those of us that really wanted a Vita got one. For it to be successful though, for 3rd parties to keep developing for it then it needs to start selling ALOT more in all countries. To do that normal average people need to buy it, they need to be excited to buy it with games they can see and have confidence that it will have games on the shelves for christmas.

When was the last Vita commercial you saw on TV? You know, besides the same one that came out like a week before the Vita release. Where is the Gravity Rush commercial or advertising? How is your average walmart shopper going to know what is shown on the floor at E3? What is going to be reported on yahoo, local news or word of mouth from friends that only watched the Sony conference tomorrow about Vita shown at the Sony conference today? Oh hey they showed Assassins Creed coming to Vita in October and....Wonderbook! The lists being thrown up in Vita threads are great, but the truth is those of us on message boards already know about those games and already bought are Vitas and probably picked them up because the Vita hits our niche gaming needs just right. Now about that Walmart shopper that would make up the bulk a consoles sales, what about them?
I agree with a lot of points here. Not all but lots of them. Sony needs to fix their marketing. Simply put it sucks ass. Honestly tho this isn't really news.

cj_iwakura

Sony's not going to just discontinue the platform right now. That's crazy talk. Sony is probably stubborn enough to see it through to the end no matter how barren the wasteland gets.

That doesn't mean third parties are going to care outside of token ports once the launch period has blown over.

PSP only lasted like it did because Japan kept buying it.

Vita doesn't even have that going for it.

The future is bleak unless they do something drastic.

GCX

Industry people watch EVERYTHING EVERY DAY.

And no, Gamescom has higher visitor numbers than E3 and is in a significantly better performing territory than the US.
Gamescom isn't even in the same league with E3 when it comes to media coverage and public interest. And you know Europe isn't performing that well with eurocrisis and all that going on.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Are you talking about actual Vita owners or everyone pretending to have a Vita so they can act disappointed?
I'm a Vita owner from before the US launch and the coverage they gave it today (or didn't give it) was shameful. They spent more time on that crappy book thing. I've loved my Vita so far but it's hard not to get the impression that Sony doesn't give a fuck about it. Used as a controller for LBP2? AMAZING.

What kind of company releases a machine - which is selling poorly - then doesn't even feature it for more than 5 minutes in the largest gaming press event of the year, months later? Why do issues STILL exist like being unable to download PS minis to my Vita from my account, when I already paid for them? Why are Sony acting like this thing hasn't even launched and refuse to promote and support it like they should? It's baffling.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
you didn't play Kid Icarus? Or any of the number of good eShop titles that came out since SML3D?
I bought my 3DS for RE:R, and it delivered. I didn't expected much for KI, but I was blown away. Anyway, this list wars have no meaning on a thread about Sony's E3 2012 conference. Vita presence there was very limited, no other way around it.

cj_iwakura

As a launch day 3DS user myself, what games are you talking about? The handhelds variety of games is still fucking pitiful. The last game I played was SML3D and since then its been collecting dust on my table. True it's better than it was in its first year, but I don't see a crazy steam train for the handheld present atm.

Soul Hackers, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey IV, the new Fire Emblem, 999-2, etc.

The first two alone are enough for me, really.

Some people maybe. Not everyone.

Industry people watch EVERYTHING EVERY DAY.

And no, Gamescom has higher visitor numbers than E3 and is in a significantly better performing territory than the US.

E3 by far and away gets more coverage than Gamescom. I think the industry was looking for a signal from Sony about Vita and the conference delivered it. Having games on the floor isn't much in the larger context of hype.

Whatever. I'm glad people like Vita. I'm just shocked how it was ignored. I truly believe it's going to be a bumpy road for Vita and it's lifespan will be limited. Like I said, I doubt it lasts 2 more years.

I bought the Vita on day one expecting the first 6-12 months being extremely low on must have titles. Thats fine. But Sony went into this conference knowing the Vita is doing absolutely horrible in terms of sales and hype. Nobody knows about the Vita and those who do know about it aren't interested. What does Sony do? They basically ignore the system during arguably the BIGGEST show of the year for gaming on the biggest stage.

All stars, Ass Creed, Little Big Planet aren't going to cut it. Nintendo had the big hitters, we all knew that, but Sony should have hammered home what we should expect the next 9-12 months. They should have made it possible for PS1 classics to be available TODAY. They should have even made it possible for PS2 classics to be available this year. They should have announced some really awesome features/games for Playstation + on Vita starting TODAY. They should have gone crazy with bundles. They should have paid for some big time exclusive for the system, be it Borderlands 2, Bioshock, or even a GTA announcement. Instead? We're left with three announcements of games that are not going to sell hardware.

If Sony couldn't care less about their own hardware then why the hell should the public? Sony

SteeloDMZ

Banned
As a launch day 3DS user myself, what games are you talking about? The handhelds variety of games is still fucking pitiful. The last game I played was SML3D and since then its been collecting dust on my table. True it's better than it was in its first year, but I don't see a crazy steam train for the handheld present atm.

Why in hell are you blaming the 3DS? Blame yourself and your taste instead for not picking up games like RE Revelations, Mutant Mudds, or the incredible Kid Icarus Uprising.

jman2050

I'm actually pretty curious as to if there will be a substantial number of unnannounced 3DS games at the conference Wednesday.

Misterhbk

E3 by far and away gets more coverage than Gamescom. I think the industry was looking for a signal from Sony about Vita and the conference delivered it. Having games on the floor isn't much in the larger context of hype.

Whatever. I'm glad people like Vita. I'm just shocked how it was ignored. I truly believe it's going to be a bumpy road for Vita and it's lifespan will be limited. Like I said, I doubt it lasts 2 more years.

I remember when everyone said the same thing about the 3DS. Seriously people never learn to stop with all the doom talk. Nothing in this industry is ever considered good enough. Last year the 3DS was going to be canceled I going by forum talk. Fast forward a year and now it's amazing and has the holy trinity in Japan. Jesus effing Christ people! When will you ever learn. Has anyone ever been right about their doom talk?

Sometimes gaf is worse than pachter

Diablos54

I remember when everyone said the same thing about the 3DS. Seriously people never learn to stop with all the doom talk. Nothing in this industry is ever considered good enough. Last year the 3DS was going to be canceled I going by forum talk. Fast forward a year and now it's amazing and has the holy trinity in Japan. Jesus effing Christ people! When will you ever learn. Has anyone ever been right about their doom talk?

3DS was never selling 6k a week in Japan, just saying...

At this point I just want the damn thing to get hacked so I can move my PSP ISO to it and trade in my PSP because that's pretty much the only purpose I think the Vita is going to serve at anyone. Its sad to say it as I think the hardware is great but damn.

im sorry
but since your speaking for me, a Vita owner, can you also tell me which apps i should use the vita for? Foursquare and Twitter? great

can you also tell me what fkin food and color i should like as well as a vita owner? im seriously lost here, and i need inpu

patsu

And thats the problem. I'm a gaming enthusiast, i have a backlog of PSP games to play, i'm a gaf member and keep up to date on games and even japanese games. Those of us that really wanted a Vita got one. For it to be successful though, for 3rd parties to keep developing for it then it needs to start selling ALOT more in all countries. To do that normal average people need to buy it, they need to be excited to buy it with games they can see and have confidence that it will have games on the shelves for christmas.

When was the last Vita commercial you saw on TV? You know, besides the same one that came out like a week before the Vita release. Where is the Gravity Rush commercial or advertising? How is your average walmart shopper going to know what is shown on the floor at E3? What is going to be reported on yahoo, local news or word of mouth from friends that only watched the Sony conference tomorrow about Vita shown at the Sony conference today? Oh hey they showed Assassins Creed coming to Vita in October and....Wonderbook! The lists being thrown up in Vita threads are great, but the truth is those of us on message boards already know about those games and already bought are Vitas and probably picked them up because the Vita hits our niche gaming needs just right. Now about that Walmart shopper that would make up the bulk a consoles sales, what about them?

I don't know how it can be made any clearer, if those people do not start buying systems developers are not going to make games, period. If Vita owners want anything beyond the lists being posted or beyond the next year it has to turn around. It's not trolling, its not fanboyism, its straight up truth slapping people in denial in the face, IT IS SELLING WORSE THEN PSP!! How much clearer can you freaking get.

If they projected millions Vita sales this year, they will have the mechanism to push it. E3 would be a great platform to launch something but perhaps the work-in-progress is not ready yet.

For what it's worth, I'm happy they confirmed YouTube and Hulu Plus. Also happy about SoundShapes. Don't really care for PSOne games, but I love the PSP library. I still have a backlog of 4 Vita + PSP games, not counting Gravity Rush. For other folks to jump in, Sony will need to provide other values, or better values. But that depends on whether they can lower the cost first. As for dev support, they will continue to keep the devs warm as usual, until their next tier plan is in-place.

This is not remotely like the 3DS situation.
Nintendo always had the Mario card up its sleeve
Nintendo always had the Pokemon card up its sleeve
Nintendo always had the Zelda card up its sleeve
Nintendo always had the Metroid card up its sleeve
Nintendo had the price reduction

Sony has...

Thats the difference. Do not even try and compare the 3DS situation to that of the Vita. Nintendo also spent a good time of their E3 conference last year making announcements, BIG time announcements. They also included a price cut. They included ambassador games. They got Monster Hunter Tri and 4. What about Sony?

Completely different scenario. The 3DS' success didn't just happen. Nintendo...you know...did stuff.

mjc

Honestly, if Atlus wasn't bringing over the Persona 4 remake, my Vita would be packed up and traded in tomorrow. I couldn't believe the complete lack of support Sony showed for it tonight.

jman2050

If they projected millions Vita sales this year, they will have the mechanism to push it.

Forgive me if I'm not exactly keen on that sort of logic. It wouldn't be the first time Sony made a bad initial forecast for a fiscal year.

3DS always had guaranteed multimillion-selling first-party franchises, and significant exclusive support from the major Japanese third parties before it even launched. Vita had, and still has, neither.

It's quite ironic how the people who want so badly to believe that Vita's situation is perfectly analogous to 3DS' early struggles are constantly accusing Vita sales skeptics of "forgetting" 3DS' situation, when they're the ones who are engaging in selective memory.

Kusagari

If they projected millions Vita sales this year, they will have the mechanism to push it. E3 would be a great platform to launch something but perhaps the work-in-progress is not ready yet.

For what it's worth, I'm happy they confirmed YouTube and Hulu Plus. Also happy about SoundShapes. Don't really care for PSOne games, but I love the PSP library. I still have a backlog of 4 Vita + PSP games, not counting Gravity Rush. For other folks to jump in, Sony will need to provide other values, or better values. But that depends on whether they can lower the cost first. As for dev support, they will continue to keep the devs warm as usual, until their next tier plan is in-place.

Nothing Sony has done with the Vita should give you any reason to have such faith in them. Every single month we have people saying "WAIT TO THE NEXT *INSERT EVENT* FOR NEW GAMES", and the big announcements never come.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Very surprised that they didn't announce more for Vita. They must be ok with Vita not doing so well. They shoudl've announced a shitload of titles and release dates for upcoming Vita titles. I don't understand the Sony thinking sometimes.

Riposte

E3 had a very weak Japanese presence, at least within the conferences. Maybe even weaker than last year.

Do they ever announce localizations at TGS?

I think proprietary memory sticks really hurt the sales. Sony should've gone with internal memory with two skus, 16GB/32GB, with memory sticks as optional instead of the 3G/non-3G models. The 16GB should've been at $250 and 32GB should've been $300.

I still love the Vita but I'm kind of regretting my purchase especially with the 32GB memory stick. It's my fault for buying into it, but I was willing to invest in one. But most people won't.

jman2050

Very surprised that they didn't announce more for Vita. They must be ok with Vita not doing so well. They shoudl've announced a shitload of titles and release dates for upcoming Vita titles. I don't understand the Sony thinking sometimes.

Sony is stuck in "we need to beat Apple!" mode on the mobile front. The Vita almost seems like collateral damage in that context.

muu

Nintendo put a significant amount of effort into announcing titles and support for the 3DS in the 2011 E3. Granted it was probably not enough: sales didn't pick up, and they did the major price drop. The thing to remember here though, is that for them the focus of E3 2011 was the 3DS.

Couple hours ago we saw Sony's E3 2012 briefing. Vita was sidelined for a wonderbook. Do you seriously believe they're going to pull out all the stops to save the thing, when they'd rather appeal to the casual userbase with some AR book on the most important conference of the year with everyone watching? It takes serious effort to turn things around, and they didn't even pretend to show that they cared. With their bottom line hurting, you could very well have a situation where they call Vita another 'experiment' like they did with the Go and call it a day.

3DS had a huge price cut and major first party exclusives. What big first party exclusives were announced for Vita today?

totowhoa

Banned
Honestly, if Atlus wasn't bringing over the Persona 4 remake, my Vita would be packed up and traded in tomorrow. I couldn't believe the complete lack of support Sony showed for it tonight.

I honestly felt the same way. P4G is pretty much the only upcoming game I'm hyped for. I'm enjoying working through a bit of PSP back catalog, and my fiance is stoked to play FF7 for the first time with the Vita PS1 classics (even though I've always owned the PS1 version... she just prefers portable and had been waiting for the chance). I know I'm in the minority though--this kind of stuff won't hold too many people over. Sony's lucky I only owned a PSP for like 6 months or I wouldn't be playing the Vita at all right now :p I'm not sore about my Vita purchase yet, but I'm surprisingly happy about 3DS purchase. When I got the Vita, I ignored my 3DS for a long time while I reveled in the glory of the OLED. Starting to pick my 3DS up more again these days, though. It's a shame Sony couldn't convince me that I'd have a reason to keep picking up the Vita in the more long-term.

CamHostage

Without the traditional sizzle reel sets, not a lot of games in total were shown by Sony. Their development list wasn't superlong though.

This light showing is typical of E3 for portables, though. Was that way for GBA, DS rarely had more than one big game showcased outside of a sizzle reel, PSP hardly ever got a spotlight, and except for the hardware, neither have closed a show with a big portable title. Handheld games tend to be behind the console releases in development (traditionally the development time was much shorter so a GBA game would be announced at E3 even if a line of code hadn't been written... obviously that has changed, but affording a walkthrough E3 demo is still probably not scheduled by the publishers for most portable game designers.)

I expect Nintendo to have a few key titles, and I was equally underwhelmed by the Vita presence here, but it wasn't really a surprise and after decades of being a portable fan watching E3 coverage, I know not to take this show as a harbinger of doom.

JudgeN

im sorry
but since your speaking for me, a Vita owner, can you also tell me which apps i should use the vita for? Foursquare and Twitter? great

can you also tell me what fkin food and color i should like as well as a vita owner? im seriously lost here, and i need inpu

You want to use your piano black vita with the foursquare app, as for food you want hot wings. You good man?

Completely different scenario. The 3DS' success didn't just happen. Nintendo...you know...did stuff.

3DS is the successor to the high selling handheld ever, even if Nintendo hadn't done a price job Mario would have got the job done. Nintendo didn't really do anything amazing IMO the 3DS was guaranteed support. The Vita on the other hand was the successor to the PSP, and you know how software sales went on that thing.

This thread is really making me wonder why anyone bought a Vita in the first place if they were all going to sell them just because of an underwhelming E3 conference. Either there is a lot of hyperbole going on or GAF makes really poor purchasing decisions.

Uh, unless Sony has some sort of mind control device they plan to use to make Nintendo create 1st party titles for Vita, it's not the same scenario. Nintendo and Nintendo alone has the instant "it prints money" button, aka their stellar 1st party lineup. That's what they used to bail out the 3DS. Sony doesn't have it, and I'm willing to bet they as a company know they don't have it. Therefore, they should have brought it at E3 with the 3rd party announcements to get some hype. They didn't.

Teknoman

Apparently there ARE quite a few new Vita titles trickling info out bit by bit. Like NFS: Most Wanted just being posted a little while ago. Not sure why they didnt show that or the PS1 classics montage in english...but stuff is at E3.

At this point I would be kind of surprised if it isn't discontinued within a few years.

You give it more time than me. I give it 6 months. On second thought, I think it'll be discontinued this coming February. Get whatever sales they can this fall, then just end it.

I expect Nintendo to have a few key titles, and I was equally underwhelmed by the Vita presence here, but it wasn't really a surprise and after decades of being a portable fan watching E3 coverage, I know not to take this show as a harbinger of doom.

Don't forget: Nintendo is going to have a separate conference on Friday *exclusively* for the 3DS.

So no, not just a few titles I assume.

Top Bottom