• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Starfield feel "next gen" to you?

Does Starfield feel like a "next gen"

• Yes

Votes: 124 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 442 78.1%

• Total voters
When I say next gen I mean the XsX, ps5 generation. As I play starfield I can say that this is a game that feels like it takes advantage of the current gen hardware in its scope...of course there are some aspects that feel like they made concessions such as the lack of a seamless world, but playing starfield it does feel like a game that can only exist in the XsX PS5 era. It seems to large in scope to exist or run on last gen. I'm playing on PC so I get all the bells and whistles such as 60fps+ usually at 1440...but even so it feels like this game is one of the more impressive leaps in regard to what the future of open world rpgs can look like and the scope they can achieve. Genuinely impressed by what was pulled off and barely touched the main story. Just been LARPing as a bounty hunter.
373460257_848290400341482_6552989897912303852_n.png

373463962_608613091346188_218716043705715605_n.png

375510614_3688284598106692_8965020627558426643_n.png

No, it looks like current gen
Feels not looks, I think given the scope and its visuals which are good, it couldn't play on last gen.

no mans sky has seamless transitions and lets you land anywhere in the universe and it runs on the switch lite
But no gameplay outside of that, space combat, cities, quest etc...all must be taken into account.

Last edited:

Kilau

No it doesn’t feel like a game that could only exist on current generation hardware. Technically perhaps because it’s code is a mess, it wouldn’t run on last gen but it doesn’t feel like a big leap, more of an evolution in Bethesda design.

Last edited:

Del_X

Ships and buildings with no windows because they are instanced as levels separated from the rest of the world. This drives me insane. Looks good but misses the seamlessness that SHOULD define current gen.

It’s weird because they have the entire planets terrain. They have each solar system calculated with rotation, day/night, orbits, etc.

They need to do some deep surgery on the engine because other games are doing this.

Last edited:

Catphish

If I never played BG3, No Man's Sky, or, say, Destiny, Starfield would probably feel more impactful to me. However, I have played all those games and, other than its storytelling style and quest structure (which is more or less the same as Bethesda's last three RPGs), SF is not offering anything unique (and certainly nothing improved) over those titles. Except maybe the shipbuilding. Overall, it feels late to, and underdressed for, the party.

A day late and a dollar short, as me pappy used to say.

ZehDon

Gold Member
While the quest structure certainly isn't, the world, its presentation, and the breadth of the interactions you can have certainly feels next gen.

The real-time physics in the game is also really great, and it adds a lot of feedback - especially to the combat - that is lacking from a lot of other games, especially last gen. Heck, even the hair physics is pretty good.
Dropping both barrels into a room full of Ecliptic and watching the chaos as everything is bounced around is a delight. I also like that a lot of "dungeons" aren't interior spaces; they're right there on the planet in the open, allowing for much more freedom in how you approach them.

The visuals also feel pretty next-gen at times - interior spaces in particular. It's all real-time, with a decent GI approximation, crazy amounts of geometry and real physical objects everywhere, each with their own terrific materials and textures.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah, doesnt feel next gen in terms of gameplay, but visuals can look next gen at times. Mostly interiors and some great lighting outdoors that you dont typically see in other open world games. But the world detail is last gen as fuck.

Sgt.Asher

High peaks, loooow valleys. It's the creation engine from holding this back. It doesn't feel like I'm piloting a space ship due to all the fucking transition scenes. 50 foot stores are instanced for fucks sake.

blackjon24

I like the game but definitely felt old in a way. if you showed this to someone not too familiar with games I would guess they would think cyberpunk was the more recent game

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Much like Nintendo, Bethesda is on their own track when it comes to many things, so they can’t really be compared too much to their peers.
I often hear stuff like this and find it silly. Plenty of these companies do things that their peers don't and vice versa.

Very few companies have attempted a Starfield-esque game, so there's little to compare it to because of a lack of similar content, not capability.

BlackTron

It's shameful the next BGS game is using the same engine, Phil can't seem to get his house in order. Seems like a nice guy who just throws money around at everyone and hopes.

Not trying to diss Starfield, but it's certainly proof it's time to move on from the engine. People paid for your mega teraflop machine to run new stuff, not brute force through your old habits.

I often hear stuff like this and find it silly. Plenty of these companies do things that their peers don't and vice versa.

Very few companies have attempted a Starfield-esque game, so there's little to compare it to because of a lack of similar content, not capability.
If you consider the massive, massive landscape of gaming I’d say it’s nowhere close to plenty. Just because Bethesda isn’t seen as the best, doesn’t mean that they are not unique to their own track.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
If you consider the massive, massive landscape of gaming I’d say it’s nowhere close to plenty. Just because Bethesda isn’t seen as the best, doesn’t mean that they are not unique to their own track.
Yes, plenty. Plenty of them do things their peers don't. This is a good thing, after all.

I also didn't say Bethesda wasn't unique. I stated that they and Nintendo are far from the only ones.

Last edited:
No it doesn’t feel like a game that could only exist on current generation hardware. Technically perhaps because it’s code is a mess, it wouldn’t run on last gen but it doesn’t feel like a big leap, more of an evolution in Bethesda design.
I think the cpu limitations of last gen is more so why it wouldn't be able to run...idk if you played it but the ability for the game to remember the specific actions you took on one of the planets you may visit once + 100 others is amazing. I get lost exploring so often, its like exploring in fallout but the worlds you land on hide something interesting.

Top Bottom