• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is wrong with us who enjoy Starfield?

LakeOf9

Like Dragon's Dogma 2 then, or any Souls game.
God, the amount of "flaws" Elden Ring has that people are willing to overlook because it's "DA GOAT"

Or Baldur's Gate 3

Or Tears of the Kingdom

I am not saying Starfield is on the same level as those games (I don't think it is, and I think very few people would), but I do very much think it has been getting a lot of criticisms that other universally acclaimed games also deserve and do not get.

JackMcGunns

I can both like something and agree it's bad objectively.

There's a fine line between a game that doesn't live up to the unbelievable hype and being "Bad"

...but only in NeoGaf.

Starfield is an 8 when it was expected to be a 9 or a 10, aka a system seller, but it wasn't, so objectively bad as a system seller, but not bad as a game, don't get those mixed.

Last edited:
God, the amount of "flaws" Elden Ring has that people are willing to overlook because it's "DA GOAT"

Or Baldur's Gate 3

Or Tears of the Kingdom

I am not saying Starfield is on the same level as those games (I don't think it is, and I think very few people would), but I do very much think it has been getting a lot of criticisms that other universally acclaimed games also deserve and do not get.

Immigrant Heritage Month Not The Same Thing GIF by BuzzFeed

lol @ comparing any of these games to Starfield

Every game is going to have flaws. Starfield is massively flawed

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Enjoy what you want to enjoy….at end of the day you are the one playing the game, not some random person on internet.

There's a fine line between a game that doesn't live up to the unbelievable hype and being "Bad"

...but only in NeoGaf.

Starfield is an 8 when it was expected to be a 9 or a 10, aka a system seller, but it wasn't, so objectively bad as a system seller, but not bad as a game, don't get those mixed.

User scores disagree with it being an 8

I think even a 7 is extremely generous

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

...but only in NeoGaf.

My favourite fine line is:

Starfield (metacritic 83) - total binfire, :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
-----------Fine Line-------------------------
Hogwarts Legacy (metacritic 84) should have been GOTY :lollipop_angry_face::lollipop_angry_face::lollipop_angry_face:

LakeOf9

Immigrant Heritage Month Not The Same Thing GIF by BuzzFeed

lol @ comparing any of these games to Starfield

Every game is going to have flaws. Starfield is massively flawed
Did you read the post you quoted, because I literally say in the quoted text "I am not saying Starfield is on the same level as those games (I don't think it is, and I think very few people would), but I do very much think it has been getting a lot of criticisms that other universally acclaimed games also deserve and do not get.

I made the text big so you won't miss it this time, hope that helps

IAmRei

Well, everyone is open to have opinion, and i personally like the the scifi design of SF. but havent touch it yet because i still have lot of backlogs. Good to you then

zenspider

It's okay some people also think McDonalds have the best burgers in the world.
Fair, but you should be able to argue the merits, and concede the flaws, right? "Best" might just be a category error. Things work for different reasons.

I think it's fair to say McDonald's is consistent, convenient, may have nostalgia for people, but on taste? Christ.

My version would be "heat lamp" pizza. I love it. I DO NOT think it's the best pizza, in fact, the grossness is part of the appeal because I am a sick fuck lol. Kink food. I would battle it against frozen carboard pizzas like a Freschetta or Elio's, but I would never call it the best. I'm not an animal!

Ok sit down let the therapy begin.
f6NLSyh.gif

First.

A)Do you like Starfield because it is good or B)is it good because you like it?.
In love with Starfield, my personal best game of the decade.
B
I keep reading and watching critical pieces against Starfield, how it didn't deliver what was promised, how it is made with old standards for RPGs etc.
"but i like it...i only like good things how can i like something as bad as starfield...something dosen't add up, I'm confused and i feel gaslit)
But you know what? This game is all I could ask for, I just cannot stop playing it, my PS5 hasn't been cleaned out of dust for weeks since only XSX is getting heat.
B
And I am happy to see many gaffers enjoying it just like I do.
You need/want/crave validation. "im not crazy for liking Starfield...other people like it too"

I didn't start this thread just to say that I love game which has been hammered by critics, nor to say what I like in this game in contrary.
yep, validation.

But let's discuss of the limits of objectively valid points against game versus actual fun one can have with it. You know what I mean?
I have also seen those video essays.

The fact of the matter is that starfield is objectivity a bad designed/executed game.

You can like shit. you must own it.

one of my favorite games is let it die. and is 6/10 at best. A simple as that.

Kurotri

Ok sit down let the therapy begin.
f6NLSyh.gif

First.

A)Do you like Starfield because it is good or B)is it good because you like it?.

B

"but i like it...i only like good things how can i like something as bad as starfield...something dosen't add up, I'm confused and i feel gaslit)

B

You need/want/crave validation. "im not crazy for liking Starfield...other people like it too"

yep, validation.

I have also seen those video essays.

The fact of the matter is that starfield is objectivity a bad designed/executed game.

You can like shit. you must own it.

one of my favorite games is let it die. and is 6/10 at best. A simple as that.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: S tier post

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Maybe you have OCD and you like a game where you can arrange your loaves of bread, or you like building ships and mediocre settlements.

That's all i can think of
I mean, you might be right about there being something that these types of games do for people like me with ADHD and OCD. I get lost in games like Starfield. There have been days where I I have a plan for what I want to accomplish, but then I turn on the game and something distracts me. 4 hours later and I need to go to sleep. I’ve probably spent 40+ hours in ship building alone. Ship building has been a huge distraction. A distraction that I have loved. I still think I have the best ship ever.

Her name is BF. Short for Bullfrog.

F7r4NjoaMAAC0BU

F7r2RcHbUAAKBot

zenspider

You guys already reach that point of victimhood heh?
Got nothing with people liking this game. I believe people are free to like whatever the crap they want. But goddamn, this generation feeling like being attacked when their favorite game is criticized is beyond ridiculous.
Its even more pathetic when people put PS5(or Xbox) on equation just for the warring.

Play whatever you want and be happy, no need to create a thread just because of that. Topher Topher is an example of guy liking this game despite the criticism and didn't need to create a thread because of your feelings.
OP: "I didn't start this thread just to say that I love game which has been hammered by critics..." "let's discuss of the limits of objectively valid points against game versus actual fun one can have with it."

That said, maybe people feel attack because they are forced to self-examine, self-assess to understand why they feel the way they do? THAT I think is a fair "this generation" claim... they don't like to look inward, I've found, and they usually can't articulate a feeling with a ton of psycho-pop babble.... on the internet at least.

GudOlRub

Neo Member
I loved my time with the game, I wanted Fallout in space, I got Fallout in space. Did I expect some technical advancements that disappointed me when I saw they were not in the game? Sure, seamless traversal inside cities is the biggest one for me, having loading screens to enter and exit most buildings in a game, in the year 2023 was a bit dumbfounding, but I still enjoyed every minute I played.

People can talk as much shit as they want about Bethesda's games, but fact is no one makes games like they do, for both the good and the bad reasons.
And the game also has its moments, I really enjoyed BG3 and adored Phantom Liberty, but as dumb as it may sound no other RPG in 2023 made me feel as immersed in its world as Starfield did when I went through a 20 minute museum tour about space wars, and then went to explore the planets and saw the wreckage of all those battles I had previously heard about.

With this said I do think this game's poor reception might be a good wake up call for Bethesda to improve their technical prowess, looking forward to see what they do on TES VI with all the stuff they learned from this game.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
User scores disagree with it being an 8

I think even a 7 is extremely generous
First of all I'm a huge Todd Howard whore.
To me it's a 6/10 after about 110 hours.

My biggest disappointment is the absence of the exploration loop which made their previous games so fun.

I'm also enjoying some of it otherwise I would have quit long before.

I have zero interest in Outposts or ship building but that's my problem not the game's.

I'm at the point where I think I'll just finish the main story then uninstall.

Think back to your first exposure to different types of media. You watch movies like Hotel for Dogs and Spy Kids. You watch TV shows such as Little Einsteins and Bubble Guppies. Subway Surfers is your game of choice. You think all of these things are amazing, endlessly fun, and some of the best you can imagine.

Then time passes and you are exposed to other, more complex media. Now, you realize how simple all those things were, and how they are being done better elsewhere.

That is Starfield. It will seem amazing to those who have not had this experience elsewhere in a more complex form.

tmlDan

I mean, you might be right about there being something that these types of games do for people like me with ADHD and OCD. I get lost in games like Starfield. There have been days where I I have a plan for what I want to accomplish, but then I turn on the game and something distracts me. 4 hours later and I need to go to sleep. I’ve probably spent 40+ hours in ship building alone. Ship building has been a huge distraction. A distraction that I have loved. I still think I have the best ship ever.

Her name is BF. Short for Bullfrog.

F7r4NjoaMAAC0BU

F7r2RcHbUAAKBot

I am not even using that as an insult, I know you got that (thankfully) but i have games i get lost in that aren't universally loved and who really cares? As long as you enjoy the experience that's all that matters

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just became you enjoy a game does it make it good? You don't need to justify your taste if it was reviewed badly. Just truly enjoy the game. I think there is more enlightenment to enjoy a game that you know is a 6/10.
The weird thing is that it reviewed not badly - 83 xbox, 86 PC - metacritic, 85 on opencritic. It's the user reviews that are terrible even on steam where review bombing isn't really a thing. It's just a supremely divisive game - you have people with 200+ hours on steam not recommending it, which you only usually see when a game gets updated after years and some vocal fanboys hate the change.

ungalo

Think back to your first exposure to different types of media. You watch movies like Hotel for Dogs and Spy Kids. You watch TV shows such as Little Einsteins and Bubble Guppies. Subway Surfers is your game of choice. You think all of these things are amazing, endlessly fun, and some of the best you can imagine.

Then time passes and you are exposed to other, more complex media. Now, you realize how simple all those things were, and how they are being done better elsewhere.

That is Starfield. It will seem amazing to those who have not had this experience elsewhere in a more complex form.
What is a more complex form of Starfield ?

Metnut

A lot of people back in college really liked Nickleback. There was nothing wrong with them. Some of my best friends actually, even to this day. It’s just that we wouldn’t take their opinions or taste on anything music related seriously anymore.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My favourite fine line is:

Starfield (metacritic 83) - total binfire, :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
-----------Fine Line-------------------------
Hogwarts Legacy (metacritic 84) should have been GOTY :lollipop_angry_face::lollipop_angry_face::lollipop_angry_face:

And more than likely there are entirely different people on both sides of that "line". But yeah, if you can find the guy saying both things at the same time then you've got one heck of a gotcha.....for that one guy.

Last edited:

GHG

There's a lot of recent reviews that are negative just because it won a steam award, that's review bombing.

The reviews were already trending towards being negative long before it was even nominated for that award my friend.

The amount of imagination necessary to believe that more than 100k people purchased the game just to review bomb it is fascinating. But then maybe that's what's required to enjoy a game of this calibre.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

To each their own is what I say. I also have enjoyed 180+ hours in game, but I can also see where a lot of the criticism comes from. There are large portions of the game that are poorly written (especially the companion characters), the game feels PG even when compared to Fallout or Elder Scrolls, and the insane amount of loading screens is annoying as hell. I wish the game would have had less planets, but with tighter more focused areas, much better writing, an encyclopedia (way to keep notes on all the missions, recipes, planet resources, people you've met, etc...), and a better more focused GUI that did not require so many steps to do things. Having said all that I have had a lot of fun with it, and it is not nearly as bad as most are saying it is. I am also looking forward to it's expansions.

The characters definitely could have benefited from more edge, but that seems to be a common trend today where video game writers are so scared of being canceled that only the safest options get put through. Like I said in another thread, the limited dialog (even though this game had a huge amount of recorded lines) hurt the depth in that area as well IMO. That one quest where you go to interview a few people, but your interview is about as deep as the average Twitter bio is a good example and so on. That's hard for them to cure though without going full text, but then you lose the immersion that the spoken words provide.

We'll have to see what they do with the expansions, hopefully some of the legitimate criticisms can be addressed. I expect the loading screens will always be in there, however. Hopefully one of the updates will provide a more spread-out city that doesn't focus on verticality as much, that would probably address a lot of the concerns people have about the game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying Starfield. If you like Bethesda style games, it should be right up your alley.

What I didn't understand in the days and weeks after launch was the people complaining that it plays just like Skyrim. My reaction to that criticism was, "Well, yeah, what were you expecting? Every Bethesda developed game since Skyrim has played like Skyrim." That's like playing Devil May Cry 5 and then whining that it's a Japanese character action game or playing Elden Ring and then whining that it plays like Dark Souls.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Fuck the haters

I got 600+ hours in ARK Survival Evolved, explain that shit
837 hours in Call Of Duty® MP (MWII/III) here, another supposedly shit game(s). Our souls are utterly doomed.

Edit: Anyway, if it wasn't for the loading screens and it had an actual solid seamless experience, I would probably enjoy Starfield. So I can understand that people who can deal with that flaw enjoys the game more than me. People who say it's a shit game is full of shit themselves.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It would be improved substantially I think if it didn't feel like I was playing a loading screen a fourth of the time, every door and every train and every load on and off a planet, it feels very old that way even on blazing fast SSDs. Other than that it just felt dull and like exploration wasn't worth it and the NPCs were dull.

badblue

I enjoyed playing No Man's Sky in 2016 when everyone was hating on it.

If you enjoy play Starfield good for you. Keep on enjoying it.

jay-and-silent-bob-haters-gonna-hate.gif

Top Bottom