• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does this mean Blade is Xbox console exclusive?

Roxkis_ii

“Oh no! They haven’t said if it’s Xbox exclusive or not yet. They are being childish and stringing us along with their ambiguity”

This forum really is something special! 😂😂

It’s an Xbox studio. You can assume it will most likely be console exclusive. So nothing to worry about if you have an Xbox or a gaming PC.
Why do people have to assume. Even being made by their first party doesn't mean anything. If this was going to be exclusive, they would have said so. If their not saying so, it because they can't.

mdkirby

Marvel are trying to breathe life back into the blade franchise, with scripts still being written for the new film. Skipping the main console for the game would be pretty counter intuitive, for it to make sense MS would have to be forking out a hell of a lot of money, even then the value to marvel could be beyond any remotely sensible figure. Sony have WAY more leverage in this regard, given third party multi platform releases regularly end up being 80/20 split in their favour. So not saying it won’t/can’t be exclusive, only that I would be surprised if it was.

salva

Why such concern over this?
It's simple, a new Blade game is coming. It's definitely coming to Xbox. It's possibly coming to PlayStation.
...Just wait and see.
If it's Xbox exclusive, then buy an Xbox/PC. Or, don't play it.

FrankWza

The irony is that the xbox shills are the ones saying this.
And counting threads they're making on tweets and and podcast conversations that they're starting. When you call it out, you're "helping"

Insomniac got Wolverine and maybe Venom for their incredible success with Spider-Man. Arkane and the Blade IP are being marginalized before they even get get a chance to allow their talent do the talking.

Pelta88

The roll out of this ip demonstrates just how desperately XB needs a change in leadership.

Also, Greenberg pumping Blade, which hasn’t started production yet, while Hellblade’s release date is fast approaching is hilarious

Astray

Iron Man got taken by EA (ugh)
EA might actually be good at that, a lot of the incredibly bad reviews of Anthem cited the flight and traversal to be one of the few bright spots in it.

Also, Greenberg pumping Blade, which hasn’t started production yet, while Hellblade’s release date is fast approaching is hilarious
That guy is a rank amateur and deeply terrible at his job.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Likely no one; just desperados wanting to act like they've got some hot stuff other people covet so much so as to port-beg. It gives them the illusion of being desired, that's about it.

I'm just dispelling a narrative that PC is somehow "bigger than console", as I've seen some people try stating the past year or so, when numbers don't support that. Especially when in lots of those comparisons Nintendo and Xbox are excluded to try making the point.

Also you just contradicted yourself; how is RE4 a "one and done" when you've played it 3 times already? Not like being a "one and done" is inherently a bad thing; a lot of times it's about the experience.

Some of my favorite movies ever, for example, I've only watched maybe once or a very small handful of times over a period of years. I don't have to rewatch them every week or every year to consider them amazing films.

A level that can make a superhero game sell 2.5 million copies in 24 hours, and get a 60% completion rate for the full campaign among all players.

You know, metrics that are actually tangible and/or matter to a significant degree. If there's one big thing the Blade game has working against it, it's the IP. Blade simply isn't as well-known as Spiderman, Batman, Superman, the Avengers etc. Modern folks probably don't know what a great Blade film is because they weren't around when Blade 1 & 2 came out, they may not even know those films exist.

The new film has had all sorts of problems, and it's anchored to a film brand in decline that needs a couple big lifelines to resurrect it. So needless to say, the game has its work cut out for it.
I didn't even make that statement about PC, I was literally stating that it would make sense to just wait it out. You're whining about exclusives not coming to a console when literally I'm just stating that at least owning one gets you what you want, I have my PS5 but it's barely been played since Ragnarok and Spiderman 2 bored me the moment I started riding bikes with Harry *BIG YAWN*

Robb

Gold Member
No, I don’t think so.

I think the fact that it’s being developed by a Xbox first party studio does though.

It's being made by an Xbox 1st party studio, it's console exclusive to Xbox S/X. Xbox is not going to go out of their way to make games for Sony. Nobody ever questions if a game being made by sony is going to be anything other than console exclusive to sony, why would a game being made by Xbox 1st Party be anything other than console exclusive to Xbox?

Get over it and quit port begging.
Useless reply. If you would have just thought about what I actually said, you would see that I’m not port begging at all. Ridiculous. I’m talking about them just simply saying it’s exclusive.

That’s it. I dont care literally at all for this not to come to PS, Blade is not that srs for me. But MSFT not announcing this for just their console IS the story now instead of it just being about Arkane making a Blade game which is just nonsense.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
are they?:

Who can say.

e9pi16P.jpg

Last edited:
All this engagement is getting me engorged.

It's increasing and throbbing with every new thread.

Get a (dance floor) you two!

I didn't even make that statement about PC, I was literally stating that it would make sense to just wait it out. You're whining about exclusives not coming to a console when literally I'm just stating that at least owning one gets you what you want, I have my PS5 but it's barely been played since Ragnarok and Spiderman 2 bored me the moment I started riding bikes with Harry *BIG YAWN*

When was I whining about Blade not coming to PlayStation? I genuinely don't care if it does or not, in and of itself.

I'm just speculating about the reasons why it hasn't been announced an Xbox console exclusive yet. Apparently the people who want to assume it is without any official declaration whatsoever, don't like that speculation.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Years into the future, can’t really predict. I will say that when something is going to be exclusive to Xbox/gamepass - that branding is everywhere. They didn’t even imply it. If I were to guess I’d say it either isn’t or they don’t know.

Pretty much this.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They don't want to reveal exclusivity yet because it keeps people taking about the game. They are going to handle this exactly how they handled Starfield. At a big Xbox event they will reveal the first gameplay trailer and state that it's exclusive.

Topher

Gold Member
They don't want to reveal exclusivity yet because it keeps people taking about the game. They are going to handle this exactly how they handled Starfield. At a big Xbox event they will reveal the first gameplay trailer and state that it's exclusive.

Starfield was announced before MS bought Bethesda so that was a completely different situation.

I don’t think Twitter profiles mean shit. Sony will market Destiny 2 stuff even though it’s coming to PC and Xbox. At the end of the day they are Xbox execs and it’s a game being made by an Xbox studio.

I still side with it being on Playstation as well since they haven’t said console exclusive.

Neolombax

I don't see any reason why they wont make it an Xbox exclusive. Also, its very odd people are jumping about on this. They're still far off from a release, anything can change in between.

Portugeezer

When they say it's console exclusive, then it's console exclusive. They haven't mentioned it, maybe they don't think they have to? But clearly they should.

So, is this an MLB or is this a Wolverine situation? We'll find out because they don't clarify, but MS speaks very deliberately so this is no mistake, for those that care about Blade and have a PlayStation console there is a 10% chance it is coming.

It's an interesting idea. Announce the game with platform ambiguity, then you get all the Playstation fanboys hopeful that it's going to release on their platform as well, and it keeps discourse around the game open and generally more positive than it would have been otherwise... then when it's revealed to be Xbox and PC only, you notice all the PS fanboys do a 180 on the game and act like they never cared for it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hard disagree. The developer is first party, not an independent. They won't use a first party dev house to make a multiplatform game. Makes zero sense.
I think they have to consider making it multiplatform at the very least. Reason being the Playstation install base. However, it would look very bad for the fans if Sony withholds Spiderman and Wolverine and then Xbox let's them in on Blade. Personally, Blade is not nearly as popular as Spiderman or Wolverine so I think they should just keep it exclusive and play the long game. Make Blade a hit and be poised to be considered as a major player for the Marvel Universe's games.

Varteras

Gold Member
If it's exclusive I wish they'd just say it. I'm not a fan of being ambiguous like this. It likely is, but considering it's a licensed IP, not immediately announced for any platforms, As Dusk Falls going to PlayStation, and the CFO's curious comments about Xbox's relationship to PlayStation and Nintendo, it's really head scratching and even people like Jez Cordon are clearly flustered over this. Xbox gamers deserve to know what the deal is.

GHG

Microsoft can still say if the game will be exclusive to Xbox platforms or not. One would think it would be and typically MS has had no problem saying so in the past. I think the only theory about this that holds up is MS doesn't want to give the FTC any more ammunition.

The issue with that is the fact that the FTC can demand that information if they wish. It shouldn't be a factor.

My guess is that contracts are still up in the air and in usual fashion this is something thats been announced far too early.

Three

It'll be exclusive to the Xbox platform, so Series consoles and PC. Why is this even a question? Bethesda are Xbox first party now.
It's only a question because MS continue to try to make stuff like this a question. From the past comments about "case by case" to the declining to respond when asked directly about Blade exclusivity. For whatever reason they're trying to push this ambiguity hard.

The issue with that is the fact that the FTC can demand that information if they wish. It shouldn't be a factor.
It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for them to try and go around the FTC and pull a "circumstances change, it's undecided" like they already have on them. During court proceedings they said case by case and "it's undecided" even though the games they were saying were undecided were said to be exclusive in interviews and they had older emails saying they want to make all games exclusive. So for this they may be pretending again that it's "undecided" so that they can say that to the FTC too, this time without contradicting prior announcements.

Look at the crap Phil was trying to pull on them before:

Then in September when the FTC proceedings had already failed they produced documents to other regulators saying that it is indeed exclusive. Everybody can see the crap they're trying to pull but unfortunately there is little the regulator can do about it. As long as they maintain that it's "undecided" the FTC can't really prove anything until years down the line and by then it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We're still going on this one? No one knows.

Why not just wait until one of the involved parties says something? Until then, everybody will keep saying something they can't back up.

There are only 3 likely scenarios to be at play here:
  1. Xbox and Marvel haven't negotiated exclusivity yet. (If so, it is most stupid to announce the game at this point. This is the least likely option).
  2. It is an exclusive, and Xbox is being coy. Hype up PlayStation fans by making them believe that the game is coming to PS. Then before launch, announce it as a full exclusive. So the hyped PS fans either (1) be disappointed or (2) think of buying an Xbox.
  3. Marvel ensured the game is multiplatform. Xbox is afraid to say it at this point to avoid backlash and to deflate the Holiday hardware sales amidst all the "third-party" talk.
Better to wait for official sources before claiming the exclusivity status one way or the other.

Top Bottom