• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Just Stares At Wall After His Rescue Fell Through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you saved this stupid dog yet?

It's so cute when people on the internet bitch to others because some people see a thread about a creature and its sad fate and feel empathy while deriding them for some BS perceived lack of empathy over other things.

Marz

It's so cute when people on the internet bitch to others because some people see a thread about a creature and its sad fate and feel empathy while deriding them for some BS perceived lack of empathy over other things.

Judging from the couple of responses to my initial post so far, that perceived lack of empathy is not so "perceived".

Thanks for chiming in though.

This breaks my heart.

I have two rescues. One is a Rottweiler hound mix that is the goofiest most friendly dog you'd ever meet. He was rescued as a pup and had worms and a potbelly. He's super healthy now and loves to swim. He looks kind of like a Rottweiler but has a tail and floppy ears and howls like a hound. A lot of people are scared of him but he's scared of vent grates in our house and wouldn't hurt a fly. We have kids over sometimes and they poke his mouth and ride on him and he loves it.

Our other dog is a pit bull mix. We got him when he was two and about to be euthanized. It was very similar to this story, he was alone and depressed. He had some serious separation anxiety issues for the first year, but we made it through that. He quickly became best buddies with our Rott/hound mix and they love each other. Our pit just want to snuggle with you every second of the day. Likewise, he loves kids and always tries to curl up next to them when they are over and keep them safe when they are running around by blocking the edges of the stairs when they get close.

Wouldn't trade them for the world. As much as people are scared or critique our dogs, they have never growled. I can stick my hand in their food bowls when they are eating and they just look at me like, "stupid human." and eat around it. Much of it comes down to training, but some people refuse to believe it.

Here they are:

image.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Judging from the couple of responses to my initial post so far, that perceived lack of empathy is not so "perceived".

Most humans have a lack of empathy to this stuff unless you guide their attention towards it. This thread is about a dog so that's what people are sad about. It doesn't mean no one cares about anything else. What percentage of your day is spent thinking about the amount of children dying at any given minute worldwide? Probably not much and it doesn't make you empathetic.

-MD-

Fuck this dog, children all over the world dying of hunger and gaf worried about a dog.

FoH.

As unfortunate as that is, I sure as fuck don't want the responsibility of dedicating my life to another human, I'll settle for a dog or a cat.

Thanks though.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bullshit. If the breed didn't exist, those same shitty owners would just be ruining another breed. Like when those same shitty owners used to overwhelmingly buy rottweilers back in the 90's, and rottweilers were the "bad breed."

Indeed. In the UK Staffordshire Bull Terriers are vilified because of bad owners yet are actually one of the best family dogs because they can be taught to respect children very easily. They are more than capable of being gentle, tolerant of childrens poking and rough play and make great companions.

Instead, they are also known for their ability to be stubborn, and their strength, and thus are used by bad owners to fight, or to intimidate others. They love to please people and that tendency is abused. If this breed was banned, just like pit bulls in the US, people would find another breed to abuse.

Anyway I hope this dog can find a home. Also, what the hell at this stupid side argument going on? Can people never just stick to a topic and not go 100% ad hominem? False equivalence too, brilliant.

Jito

Banned
Its sad an all but isn't this a bit manipulative, I don't come here to get guilt tripped. What's stopping me posting a thread telling people to donate to charities, it'd be no different.

Indeed. In the UK Staffordshire Bull Terriers are vilified because of bad owners yet are actually one of the best family dogs because they can be taught to respect children very easily. They are more than capable of being gentle, tolerant of childrens poking and rough play and make great companions.

Instead, they are also known for their ability to be stubborn, and their strength, and thus are used by bad owners to fight, or to intimidate others. They love to please people and that tendency is abused. If this breed was banned, just like pit bulls in the US, people would find another breed to abuse.

Anyway I hope this dog can find a home. Also, what the hell at this stupid side argument going on? Can people never just stick to a topic and not go 100% ad hominem? False equivalence too, brilliant.

My staffy is the most stubborn fuck. If it's stormy outside, and I tell him to go outside, he just rolls onto his back so I have to pick him up and carry him. He'll go out if it's not, but damn.

His only issue is that if you put your face next to his, like 10cm away, he'll snap at you. Never makes contact, but he wants you to back off. That stems from getting his right eye mostly scratched out by a cat when he was a pup. Severe damage, practically blind in that eye. Doesn't like anything going near his face now, which is fair enough for me.

Otherwise he has a very gentle and loyal nature. Fantastic with children.

Marz

Its sad an all but isn't this a bit manipulative, I don't come here to get guilt tripped. What's stopping me posting a thread telling people to donate to charities, it'd be no different.

The sad thing is the thread would get less posts than this one.

This is so sad. I really hope he gets to be part of a loving family soon :(

In my opinion there's no such thing as a "bad breed", just bad owners. It makes me goddamn angry seeing animals being mistreated, tortured and abused. This is why I can't watch those animal rescue stories on TV. It wrenches my heart and makes me hate humanity at the same time.

These animals have probably never done anything wrong in their lives and only wanted to be loved.

This is so sad. I really hope he gets to be part of a loving family soon :(

In my opinion there's no such thing as a "bad breed", just bad owners. It makes me goddamn angry seeing animals being mistreated, tortured and abused. This is why I can't watch those animal rescue stories on TV. It wrenches my heart and makes me hate humanity at the same time.

These animals have probably never done anything wrong in their lives and only wanted to be loved.

I know, every time I see a story in my feed about malnourished dogs that have been chained up and are covered in hundreds of fleas... It's so depressing. I'm glad they get rescued, but many dogs aren't.

Stop It

My staffy is the most stubborn fuck. If it's stormy outside, and I tell him to go outside, he just rolls onto his back so I have to pick him up and carry him.

His only issue is that if you put your face next to his, like 10cm away, he'll snap at you. Never makes contact, but he wants you to back off. That stems from getting his right eye mostly scratched out by a cat when he was a pup. Severe damage, practically blind in that eye. Doesn't like anything going near his face now, which is fair enough for me.

Otherwise he has a very gentle and loyal nature. Fantastic with children.

My best friend had a American Staffordshire Terrier when I was house sharing with him. He was called Gary (The dog, not the owner), and basically was like his owner. Lazy, stubborn, pretty stupid (kidding! The dog was pretty stupid though) and loved fuss. He was a lap dog, a huge lap dog.

Sending him outside in the rain was fun too. Saying walkies would get him excited, he'll happily go to the door, then look outside and freeze!

I can certainly understand your dog not liking getting too close, it's like expecting a victim of assault to be ok with similar and dogs only have their instinct to rely on in that regard. That's only a circumstance thing though as I have played face to face with staffies and aside from the dog thinking that I am the crazy one, they are more than happy to have someone to play with.

I honestly feel like owners should receive heavier scrutiny with how they treat their dogs. Whether that's mandatory check-ups at vets to at minimum ensure the dog isn't being malnourished, abused, mutilated and is recieving their proper worming tablets or something else, things need to change.

They never should have gotten this dog out and excited and allowed the owners to just change their mind.

Oh yeah, he's fine with hands or items going near his face, but not mouths. He was mauled pretty seriously when the cat attacked him, the previous owner spent hundreds to save his eye.

He's too smart for his own good sometimes, but was easy to train, knows lots of words and tricks and is the best companion I could ask for.

Can you not address my point without some snarky response?

But like I said, I don't come here to be guilt tripped by people who could be repping a charity of some sort.

Then bypass the thread, dude.

Only click on the thread titles you care to read about, whatever those are.

You're right, but the thread title gives no indicator it'd end with "adopt this dog today"

The thread title explicitly states that the adoption fell through.

Which means that the dog would then be up for adoption again. What's the problem, anyway? Are you legally obligated to adopt a dog when you see that it's up for adoption or something?

Of course the OP would ask if anyone is interested. Doesn't mean you should feel guilted or shamed or something if you aren't in a position where you feel you should adopt the dog.

99.99% of people most likely aren't. I can't, because I'm on the other side of the world.

It's fine.

Stop It

Can you not address my point without some snarky response?

But like I said, I don't come here to be guilt tripped by people who could be repping a charity of some sort.

It's not a snarky reponse, but a genuine question.

If you're not here to discuss the subject, other than to concern troll about the OP being a charity shill (The horror), just what are you here to do other than to provoke others?

Again, if you think that the existence of this thread is somehow inhibiting threads about other good causes and charities (It isn't, but hey), there is nothing stopping you from re-dressing the balance. Something tells me you wont though.
You're right, but the thread title gives no indicator it'd end with "adopt this dog today"
Maybe the OP wants to do more than just get people to go "Aww that's sad" and hopes someone could do something about it? Nothing wrong with that, and as this is a global forum, most people wouldn't be able to help anyway. Nothing wrong with giving anyone who sees this and does want to help the ability to do so.

It isn't guilt tripping, and if you see it that way, then you are way too cynical.

Jito

Banned
It's not a snarky reponse, but a genuine question.

If you're not here to discuss the subject, other than to concern troll about the OP being a charity shill (The horror), just what are you here to do other than to provoke others?

Again, if you think that the existence of this thread is somehow inhibiting threads about other good causes and charities (It isn't, but hey), there is nothing stopping you from re-dressing the balance. Something tells me you wont though.

Maybe the OP wants to do more than just get people to go "Aww that's sad" and hopes someone could do something about it? Nothing wrong with that, and as this is a global forum, most people wouldn't be able to help anyway. Nothing wrong with giving anyone who sees this and does want to help the ability to do so.

It isn't guilt tripping, and if you see it that way, then you are way too cynical.

Guess I'm just too cynical. Carry on the shaming.

Guess I'm just too cynical. Carry on the shaming.

Sounds like you just have some guilt issues. Nobody is shaming anyone. If anything, we're shaming the would-be-adopters and letting people know that March is looking for a home. Atleast, that's what the OP is doing.

Have you tried discussing your crippling guilt issues with anyone? I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere for you.

Chin up, sport.

Of course this thread about an abandoned dog went to shit.

C'mon guys.

True, emotions ran high. Shitposting happened.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

This thread is about this dog, hence people are expressing sympathy for it or other dogs in similar situations. If you feel people aren't aware enough about starvation, you can make a thread about it to inform them. No need to shit up and derail this one.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Your protesting efforts are better suited for a Trump rally than a thread about a dog.

KonradLaw

Fuck this dog, children all over the world dying of hunger and gaf worried about a dog.

FoH.

Emotions-wise most people will care more about dog than a child, as long as it's not their own kid. And that's natural.

You can't really know what a child is until you had one of your own, while most people had dogs. So it's much easier to empathize. And even for many people who do have kids, they still emote more with dogs than some unknown child's picture on the net, as it's brain's defense to limit the nervous response thoughts about danger to your own child can face.

If you think about it logically, then sure, a child is more important, but it's not surprising a dogs's suffering is causing bigger emotional reaction for many people. It doesn't help that dog are generally a lot cuter than little kids.

This thread is about this dog, hence people are expressing sympathy for it or other dogs in similar situations. If you feel people aren't aware enough about starvation, you can make a thread about it to inform them. No need to shit up and derail this one.
A thread could be made, but it'll fall off pretty quickly. This one already has just about 5 less replies than the Flint lead poisioned water thread. And that's about basic access to tap water, something everyone can relate to!

On dogs in general, there is a similar story in Florida on the space coast. A dog is blind and deaf, was adopted but returned after a day. So now they're looking for a new owner again and they are going to require an at home visit first, etc.

What's up with shelters being full of dogs of the bull variety.

I rarely ever see people with them, but looking at my local shelters website they're full of them.

It's a shame because even though I do like dogs I'd never want to own one of those types of dogs, so I can understand why nobody adopts them. But I still feel bad for them.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
A thread could be made, but it'll fall off pretty quickly. This one already has just about 5 less replies than the Flint lead poisioned water thread. And that's about basic access to tap water, something everyone can relate to!
Probably, I'm not trying to say otherwise. But I still don't see why we need to solve world hunger before people are allowed to feel sorry for or god forbid even help the dog in the OP or others. That was more my problem with Marz' derailing.

Thaedolus

Anecdotally speaking, I've had a husky, Dalmatian, pit bull, and a German shepherd, and also lived with two roommates who had pit bulls on separate occasions. The husky was the only one that ever bit me (I was like 5 and got too close to his food while he ate). The shepherd I have is the most aggressive, meaning she patrols the yard and sleeps by the front door specifically to keep the place on lockdown, and she doesn't like people running up to us on walks, but is completely calm and submissive when we tell her to be, and will let my nieces and nephews lay on her, pull her ears, jab her in the face, etc. The pit I had was exactly the same in that regard, except even more calm and submissive to the children, and she was more akin to being a big baby when other dogs acted aggressive to her. To write that entire breed off because assholes abuse them is some horseshit I can't abide

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Mods should do Marz a favor and ban him so he isn't able to waste time here that he could be using to help save the children.

Tigress

Oh gee, people are upset that you came in and tried to shit up a thread. So because they responded to you being an asshole means they aren't empathetic? *snort*

And yes, coming in and saying fuck this thing you care about cause you aren't talking about what I care about is being an asshole. And it is also not understanding that this thread is about a dog so they are going to be talking about dogs. Of course no one is talking about kids in a thread about a dog. I guess you don't believe that anyone could possibly care about more than one thing.

Should I go in other threads and say fuck this thing you are talking about cause it is not what I think you should talk about? And should I expect nice responses when I do that rather than people effectively telling me to F off (people who may even also care about what I wanted them to talk about but are in that thread cause they also care about that thread's topic and are there to discuss the thread's topic)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom