• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Just Stares At Wall After His Rescue Fell Through

Status
Not open for further replies.
A thread could be made, but it'll fall off pretty quickly. This one already has just about 5 less replies than the Flint lead poisioned water thread. And that's about basic access to tap water, something everyone can relate to!

Something everyone can relate to AND something everyone can agree on. This thread, on the other hand, features at least two people arguing pits should be eradicated and at least two other people shaming other posters for having empathy for this dog (as though it is impossible to have empathy for this dog and other living creatures in shitty living conditions). Arguments = posts. Agreement = views. Trying to pretend that less people care about the Flint water crisis because one thread (of like three threads on the topic, mind) has less posts that this one is very disingenuous.

Wazzy

Banned
It's amazing just how fast someone who lacks empathy(usually are borderline sociopathic with the way they speak about animals) on GAF can derail a thread.

On topic:
This is incredibly sad and I wish I could give this pup a home :( my little dog is a rescue and she's such a sweet and kind dog. I honestly wish more people would adopt from shelters but I'm not going to pretend I don't understand why they don't. Having a puppy and growing with it is a great feeling and with how painful losing a dog is, adopting one that's much older is very hard to do.

This news makes me super sad, I just rescued a dog and I'm paying for a surgery she needs, I hope I can find a family for her after she fully recovers.

Fuck this dog, children all over the world dying of hunger and gaf worried about a dog.

FoH.

what the fuck is wrong with you?

ryseing

What's up with shelters being full of dogs of the bull variety.

I rarely ever see people with them, but looking at my local shelters website they're full of them.

It's a shame because even though I do like dogs I'd never want to own one of those types of dogs, so I can understand why nobody adopts them. But I still feel bad for them.

Misconceptions about the breed run rampant, as seen by this thread. My rescued Staffy is an absolute sweetheart except when it comes to cats.

rykomatsu

Good news, March is being picked up by a rescue - not sure which but hopefully a no-kill and with a good foster program leading to a good forever home.

Anarky

Banned
Fuck this dog, children all over the world dying of hunger and gaf worried about a dog.

FoH.

bye-bye-gif.gif

Kieli

The logical fallacy where you cannot worry about one issue without worrying about another is called whataboutism.

Good news, March is being picked up by a rescue - not sure which but hopefully a no-kill and with a good foster program leading to a good forever home.

Was just about to post this. Good news, but reading some of the comments on their Facebook page, it seems someone from Facebook was touched by the story and drove five hours to get March, only to be told that he was pledged to another shelter. Which makes no sense. Why not give him an actual home? Isn't his problem the fact that he was abandoned to a shelter?

Although maybe the guy should've called before driving five hours...

The logical fallacy where you cannot worry about one issue without worrying about another is called whataboutism.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but its real name is the "fallacy of relative privation" (although it has a ton of nicknames), and a textbook form of it was on display here. I mean, how can we even be discussing ________ when there's so much ________ going on in the world?

rykomatsu

Was just about to post this. Good news, but reading some of the comments on their Facebook page, it seems someone from Facebook was touched by the story and drove five hours to get March, only to be told that he was pledged to another shelter. Which makes no sense. Why not give him an actual home? Isn't his problem the fact that he was abandoned to a shelter?

Although maybe the guy should've called before driving five hours...

Rescues and shelters can be different -

Rescues generally pull from shelters with the purpose of providing in one way shape or form a permanent solution for an animal. This might be the same as a shelter where they find a permanent home, or short/long term fosters, or a permanent space in a kennel.

A failed adoption significantly increases risk of the animal not finding a home through the shelter - and there is unfortunately no guarantee that the guy who drove for 5 hours wouldn't return the dog anyways (though that's a crap ton of dedication). A rescue has the means to stack the odds in a dog's favor that shelters and individuals don't necessarily have, so I can understand why this happened for this specific dog.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Here's the photo showing up on my Facebook from when he was getting sent to a foster home. Seems happy!

The girl is a news reporter

l1kAxF9.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't get how some people compare animals being abused to children. How can you keep talking about their importance like its a scale?

Let's set children aside because God knows we can care for kids. We do it every day, now that that's over, what about dogs?

They're man's best friend, but man or whoever have kicked, punched, stabbed, mutilated, left them to die and worse. People kill animals because they don't think they have emotions. Does that mean you snap a cat or dog's neck? Would you step on a kitten to break its bones?

Animals deserve to have rights. Would you want your friend or neighbor breaking your dogs leg because "hey, there's a kid starving somewhere in the world"?

It's a shame we have to categorize and place some sorta heiharchy about these issues. I always thought our brains could hold more information than they appear to or am I wrong?

I didn't dare show this to my fiance until I clicked to the end of this story to see if there was a happy ending. Thank God. Still caused instant waterworks in her, but tears of happiness mixed in now too. I'd rescue ever damn dog and cat in the world if I had the money. As it is, we have two chihuahuas and 8 cats in our condo. One of those cats we found sealed up in a box in our local dumpster. He couldn't have been more than 2 weeks old when we found him.

I love where I live except that they limit people to owning only 2 dogs =[ I could easily handle more since I've had 4+ my entire life but its a no no here. =\ Every day I have the urge to go to the pound and get one but it could cause trouble and might just be taken back by the city =\ Stupid laws.

I don't get how some people compare animals being abused to children. How can you keep talking about their importance like its a scale?

Let's set children aside because God knows we can care for kids. We do it every day, now that that's over, what about dogs?

They're man's best friend, but man or whoever have kicked, punched, stabbed, mutilated, left them to die and worse. People kill animals because they don't think they have emotions. Does that mean you snap a cat or dog's neck? Would you step on a kitten to break its bones?

Animals deserve to have rights. Would you want your friend or neighbor breaking your dogs leg because "hey, there's a kid starving somewhere in the world"?

It's a shame we have to categorize and place some sorta heiharchy about these issues. I always thought our brains could hold more information than they appear to or am I wrong?

It's because animal cruelty laws are so god damn lax. Some lady didnt want to pay for the medical bills for her puppy and threw it out of her window from her car. Luckily a good Samaritan found the dog and brought it to the vet and it got healthy. The lady, she went and adopted another dog. She went viral and was arrested. She walked into the court and said "fine just give me my fine and I will be going." The judge actually gave her some jail time, a fine, and I believe a ban on adopting pets. I wanted to say this was on Staten Island.

On Long Island a week or so back, someone found a pit bull puppy hung from a tree. Nobody has been caught and I am sure nothing will happen to them. Or the person who threw their dog out of their moving car and the dog chased after the car before getting hit (luckily survived).

There are no penalties for this. The Family Guy episode where Brian ran over a dog and everyone laughed at him when he tried turning himself in is correct. Fuck, look at Craig's List and the amount of animal cruelty coming from that site (I have signed a few petitions to get that shit shutdown). I would love a politician to push through hard animal cruelty laws.

Not to mention, you have cops who indiscriminately also kill dogs. There is a whole site and documentary about that as well. Cops entering the wrong back yard and killing the family dog. Lady getting attacked, her dog saves her, cops show up, the dog take a step forward and the cop unloads a full clip in the dog (somehow dog survived). West Virginia tells cops to shoot dogs onsite if they are there. Hell, there was a family dog that got loose, animal control had some slight problems getting a collar on the dog and a cop came over and unloaded his clip in the dog and got arrested and city got sued and family won over $200k (largest award ever for something like this). Turns out the cop is afraid of dogs. Body camera footage of a 300 lb cop shooting a small 6 lb because he was afraid. Footage of a cop going to tell a family they left their car door open and then shooting the dog that walks out the front door after the cop opens it up killing the family dog and then running away.

Seriously, the animal cruelty shit in this country is terrible and needs to be fixed.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's because animal cruelty laws are so god damn lax. Some lady didnt want to pay for the medical bills for her puppy and threw it out of her window from her car. Luckily a good Samaritan found the dog and brought it to the vet and it got healthy. The lady, she went and adopted another dog. She went viral and was arrested. She walked into the court and said "fine just give me my fine and I will be going." The judge actually gave her some jail time, a fine, and I believe a ban on adopting pets. I wanted to say this was on Staten Island.

On Long Island a week or so back, someone found a pit bull puppy hung from a tree. Nobody has been caught and I am sure nothing will happen to them. Or the person who threw their dog out of their moving car and the dog chased after the car before getting hit (luckily survived).

There are no penalties for this. The Family Guy episode where Brian ran over a dog and everyone laughed at him when he tried turning himself in is correct. Fuck, look at Craig's List and the amount of animal cruelty coming from that site (I have signed a few petitions to get that shit shutdown). I would love a politician to push through hard animal cruelty laws.

Not to mention, you have cops who indiscriminately also kill dogs. There is a whole site and documentary about that as well. Cops entering the wrong back yard and killing the family dog. Lady getting attacked, her dog saves her, cops show up, the dog take a step forward and the cop unloads a full clip in the dog (somehow dog survived). West Virginia tells cops to shoot dogs onsite if they are there. Hell, there was a family dog that got loose, animal control had some slight problems getting a collar on the dog and a cop came over and unloaded his clip in the dog and got arrested and city got sued and family won over $200k (largest award ever for something like this). Turns out the cop is afraid of dogs. Body camera footage of a 300 lb cop shooting a small 6 lb because he was afraid. Footage of a cop going to tell a family they left their car door open and then shooting the dog that walks out the front door after the cop opens it up killing the family dog and then running away.

Seriously, the animal cruelty shit in this country is terrible and needs to be fixed.

I didn't realize it, I knew it was bad, but reading that is sickening. I have pets. I love them to death and I'll run and grab them if I think they're in danger of being hurt. They're kind creatures, so I think of what people do and it's a heavy burden because my pets are loved.

I can't imagine how people can do such things and the cop stories are just sickening. They aren't being a hero when they shoot on site. I hope more and more people are brought to justice for animal cruelty.

The police need to stop being such scared human beings. I didn't even want to comment in the thread about cops killing dogs on site. It just angered me. I think America is too stubborn to realize what they're doing is wrong. We think we suffer, but we abuse everything in the process of suffering.

MrDaravon

Here's the photo showing up on my Facebook from when he was getting sent to a foster home. Seems happy!

The girl is a news reporter

l1kAxF9.jpg

dawwwwwwwww

Not much of a dog person but that's cute, and I'm glad we got a happy ending to this, I regretted everything when I clicked on this thread when it was only like 10 posts in.

SURGEdude

not any more so than Dalmatians.

Dalmations are the worst. Never met a breed of dog that's so consistently nasty. They deserve whatever hate is usually thrown on rotties, pits or dobbies.

Mostly kidding, trying to point out the of generalizing about breeds.

jackal27

Banned
Does anyone in the thread watch Judge Judy?

Every other case seems to involve a pitbull biting a neighbor's child or something.

Yet the only constant is that their owners on the show are universally loathsome people.

Blame them, not the dog.

Also don't forget the fact that Judge Judy hand picks her cases to get ratings and there's no denying that cases that play into society's biases like "HORRIBLE SCARY DOG BREED DID HORRIBLE SCARY THING" get people's attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom