• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOJ Settled Massive Russian Fraud Case Involving Lawyer Who Met With Trump Jr.

I did a quick search and couldn't find this story.

via foreignpolicy.com

Also the attorney representing the Russian companies in the DOJ case, Veselnitskaya, is the same one who organized a meeting with Donald Trump, Jr. and top Trump campaign officials in June 2016 to offer material that could “incriminate” Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. “Love it,” responded Trump, Jr. to an intermediary.

Edit: sorry. Forgot to put the name of the source first (I hate when people post articles without first naming the source so you can tell if it is a legitimate source that deserves a click or not.)

Linkura

gettyimages-95894424.jpg

Fox News wants to spread the narrative that this Russian lawyer was part of some kind of Democrat setup.

Well OK, if they want to shine a spotlight on her activities here in the states, go right ahead.

zethren

Banned
Holy shit, Russia laundering money in the States with real estate is a decent tie to the Trump organization. Especially since it's right there in fucking NY City.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jesus so many dots are being connected already...

If we know this, how much does Mueller know?
I can't even imagine the amount of dirt Mueller could be digging up. Combine that with his prosecution team versus Trump's clown lawyers and it'll sure be something to see.

wait, if i'm reading this properly, this is actually a big deal? i know we're on the 40th "big deal" but i'm pretty sure this is significant.

Jmille99

Man, one thing is for sure, if Hillary was elected, things would not be this exciting.

Granted, that would be a good thing. But its enjoyable to see all this information come out.

Be even better to see some jail time for many people to come from it.

Man, one thing is for sure, if Hillary was elected, things would not be this exciting.

Granted, that would be a good thing. But its enjoyable to see all this information come out.

Be even better to see some jail time for many people to come from it.

Nah, the House was prepping to go into overdrive with more investigations, etc. They would have done their hardest to tear her down even further. And the media would be eating it up just the same.

What is the implication of this?
A possible quid-pro-quo in exchange for her involvement in providing Clinton dirt to the Trump campaign. The case wasn't going well for the Russian company (Prevezon), but then Preet Bharara gets dismissed by Trump out of the blue, and soon afterwards the DOJ settles for pennies on the dollar they were originally seeking.

Just a theory going around and nothing more at this point.

But with the timing of the Don Jr/Kushner/Manafort meeting and what came afterwards a hell of a lot of theories are being spun right now.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
A possible quid-pro-quo in exchange for her involvement in providing Clinton dirt to the Trump campaign.

But with the timing of the Don Jr/Kushner/Manafort meeting and what came afterwards a hell of a lot of theories are being spun right now.
Oh...

Oh shit.

In May, the Justice Department settled the case for $6 million instead of $230 million and did not demand any admission of wrongdoing. According to the lawmakers’ letter to Sessions, Veslnitskaya was surprised by how generous the settlement was, telling one Russian news outlet the penalty appeared like “an apology from the government.”

¬_¬

A possible quid-pro-quo in exchange for her involvement in providing Clinton dirt to the Trump campaign. The case wasn't going well for the Russian company (Prevezon), but then Preet Bharara gets dismissed by Trump out of the blue, and soon afterwards the DOJ settles for pennies on the dollar they were originally seeking.

Wasn't his position one that gets replaced when a new administration comes in? I thought they were all expected to resign, he didn't, so that's why he was fired.

Assuming I'm remembering correctly.

Edit:

Huh, ya maybe that's why Trump changed his mind.

Wasn't his position one that gets replaced when a new administration comes in? I thought they were all expected to resign, he didn't, so that's why he was fired.

Trump had promised to specifically keep him on, and then reneged on that deal without explanation. A theory at the time was that it was to get back at Schumer, who Trump felt had betrayed him.

But the eventual settlement of the Prevezon case under those terms came as a surprise to everyone involved so it looks even more suspicious now.

Mr. Bharara, 48, speaking to reporters after the meeting, said Mr. Trump had asked to see him to discuss “whether or not I’d be prepared to stay on as the United States attorney to do the work as we have done it, independently, without fear or favor for the last seven years.”

“We had a good meeting,” Mr. Bharara continued. “I said I would absolutely consider staying on. I agreed to stay on.”

Continue reading the main story
Mr. Bharara said that he had already talked to Senator Jeff Sessions, Republican of Alabama, who is Mr. Trump’s choice for attorney general. “He also asked that I stay on, and so I expect that I will be continuing,” Mr. Bharara said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/...-will-stay-on-as-us-attorney-under-trump.html

chadskin

It was an intriguing development then and it's become even more intriguing with what we know now. One expert raised concerns at the time in this CNN story:

The abrupt conclusion has some involved in the trial wondering why this Russian investigation had been cut short.

"What most concerns me is: Has there been any political pressure applied in this?" asked Louise Shelley, an illicit finance expert who was set to testify in support of the US government on Tuesday.

Shelley — who founded George Mason University's Terrorism, Transnational Crime and Corruption Center — said the alleged money launderers got off easy.

"I think they won something. There's no recognition of wrongdoing," she said.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/13/world/prevezon-settlement/index.html

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of wish Preet had taken the (President's) call. It would have been interesting if he had mentioned this case on the phone...

Edit: i wonder how similar trumps language would have been to what he told Comey about Flynn.

Wait, this case was settled in May? This whole affair has been crazier than a Hollywood script and it just keeps going. The eventual movie about all this is going to end up being longer than the Godfather Saga.

The Trumpster Saga will have way more oranges though.

m3k

Wait, this case was settled in May? This whole affair has been crazier than a Hollywood script and it just keeps going. The eventual movie about all this is going to end up being longer than the Godfather Saga.

The Trumpster Saga will have way more oranges though.

A NY orchard

Brandson

The Manhattan real estate involved in the laundering isn't connected to Trump too, is it? Even if not, this kind of looks like a benefit to the foreign individuals providing Trump's team with support during the election. You have to believe in an awful lot of coincidences at this point to not see a Trump/Russia connection. Trump could easily distance himself from Russia at any point to show there is no connection, but he continues to do the complete opposite at every opportunity.

Trump's apparent connections to Russian businessmen and potentially Russian organized crime could have been a significant factor in the survival of some of his businesses in the years leading up to the election. While the relationships likely existed for years in business, he is now in a position to grow those mutually beneficial relationships further. It would not surprise me at all if both sides are making just ridiculous money behind the scenes now that he's President.

Top Bottom