• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasmo

I'm the biggest detractor of all this but changing that check-in to 2-4 weeks would do wonders for them. 1 day is atrocious. It can render the box useless for people in many different situations. For example, moving to a new apartment or house. Lengthen the check in and confirm it already.

Keepin' it Real Translation: Fuck you you poors. Get with the times. We don't want your broke ass if you don't got Internet. Problem? Deal with it.

So if anything, this goes on to show that Adam Orth's dealwithit flak on twitter was unfair to him. He was not the problem. He was the symptom of a bigger problem. A problem that trickled from top of the organizational hierarchy to the bottom, and has infected everyone in the organization. Adam Orth simply expressed himself in an environment that was very accepting, even promoting, of his views.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

And that's exactly where I'm staying as far as Microsoft products are concerned. Thanks.

I have a reliable internet connection, but I don't like dealing with your bullshit.

Speevy

Banned
When Sony launched the PS3, they famously said you needed a second job to afford one.

At Microsoft, we don't care how many jobs you have. You don't deserve an Xbox One.

BeerSnob

I will personally work PR for the Xbone. Cheap too. I'll just set in an office and scream "no comment" at anyone that calls me, or looks at me inquisitively. Trust me it will totally be an improvement over what ever the hell their strategy is right now.

Freki

I'm the biggest detractor of all this but changing that check-in to 2-4 weeks would do wonders for them. 1 day is atrocious. It can render the box useless for people in many different situations. For example, moving to a new apartment or house. Lengthen the check in and confirm it already.

They did this already - pre-Orth it was suposedly only minutes

Raptor

2013-05-21t185427z_16068218_tm4e95l15au01_rtrmadp_3_microsoft-xbox-624x451.jpg

Please understand

ahahahh this shit is hilarious!!

"please understand, we are going to fuck you over and over but untill we do you will understand"

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Honestly, I see nothing wrong with his X360 comment.. because it's true.

MS if creating a system that can fully make the transition to fully digital easily with no repercussions from fans in the coming years. Forced online means that direct digital downloads can become the norm, Sony has set itself up for major backlash if they chose to do that in the future.. as they are going to alienate the retail only consumer if they ever chose to make a full on switch, and they will still have to cater to retail as a full supply chain for the entire console lifetime.

The Xbox One has a stopgap built in to allow both, but knowing all console owners will have a digital connection they will no longer have to always consider how their online store effects things at the retail level. So hopefully we will see a more robust online marketplace with much more fluid pricing and sales.

If you have no internet, complaining you can't play the XBONE is the same as complaining you can't watch Netflix or download PC games. You have other options, go use them.. because catering to that crowd means you are forced to limit other things.

I'd rather have a system that forces an even playing field for devs to program for, one where an internet connection is mandatory.

I feel for those with bandwidth caps, but don't be made at MS for that.. be complaining to your ISP for their antiquated restrictions.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My response, in Don's words.

Osiris: " "Fortunately there is a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called the PS4"
Pretty much what I said immediately upon hearing that statement.

I'm done with MS. At this point, I don't even so much as want to support the 360 anymore and I will definitely not support the Xbone.

Their policies and their arrogance sealed the deal.

IISANDERII

Don't got a problem with being connected to the internet 24/7. But i do got a problem with the internet being used to potentially spy on me and curtail my rights as a consumer.

Ding-Ding

At this point, I think I wouldn't care if they completely reversed their policy.

Leopards don't change their spots. They will only attempt it later as soon as they dominated the industry

Nokterian

Geoff Keighley had an interview with Don Mattrick (recorded pre conference) - here are some excerpts:

Keighley:"Did you know or did you anticipate the way the people would push back?"
Mattrick:"Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Mattrick: "The avarage internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

more can be found here: link

He really said that..ubelievable.

RDJ_Woah_zps7e026cce.gif

MS if creating a system that can fully make the transition to fully digital easily with no repercussions from fans in the coming years. Forced online means that direct digital downloads can become the norm, Sony has set itself up for major backlash if they chose to do that in the future.. as they are going to alienate the retail only consumer if they ever chose to make a full on switch, and they will still have to cater to retail as a full supply chain for the entire console lifetime.

The Xbox One has a stopgap built in to allow both, but knowing all console owners will have a digital connection they will no longer have to always consider how their online store effects things at the retail level. So hopefully we will see a more robust online marketplace with much more fluid pricing and sales.

If you have no internet, complaining you can't play the XBONE is the same as complaining you can't watch Netflix or download PC games. You have other options, go use them.. because catering to that crowd means you are forced to limit other things.

I'd rather have a system that forces an even playing field for devs to program for, one where an internet connection is mandatory.

I feel for those with bandwidth caps, but don't be made at MS for that.. be complaining to your ISP for their antiquated restrictions.
lIXXZ1D.gif

Snaku

Banned

Holy shit, are you fucking serious? That's why there wasn't a price drop for the Xbox Mini. But nobody is gonna pay $300 for 8 year old hardware when they can just drop an extra $100 and get a PS4, dumbass. This guy is a total cunt.

Your tag is so fitting.

Big-E

They can't do that, it would circumvent the whole policy. You could put a game on your xbone and disconnect your internet and play through the game in those 2 weeks even if you already traded it in. They clearly don't want that or they wouldn't have made the checks a day to begin with. This hubris from MS is way worse than Sony 2006. 599 was a huge price but you know what, Sony actually did a decent job explaining why it needed to be that high. MS has done zero explanation on any of their policies. They spend a whole bunch of time talking a big game about kinect in their reveal and where the fuck is it? Oh that's right a previous Kinect only game is now not and Crimson Dragon is apparently a controller game as well? You need to get people to buy into your message and I don't think anyone has.

Karuyag

I watched the Pachter interview earlier and he made a good point...

Microsoft could be getting subsidies from ISP's and maybe even cable companies because of Xbox One forcing you to have an internet service for it to function...

From a business standpoint... yeah... MS wants that money...

Also... I think MS might be hoping this would all blow over in the future just like how the backlash against DLC blew over... They're just biding their time for now and taking the hits for stepping up...

Their arrogance isn't helping though.

Amir0x

Banned
Holy shit, are you fucking serious? That's why there wasn't a price drop for the Xbox Mini. But nobody is gonna pay $300 for 8 year old hardware when they can just drop an extra $100 and get a PS4, dumbass. This guy is a total cunt.

Honestly he looks uncomfortable in every interview. I think he knows he has to serve the public a shit sandwich and has no adequate way to describe it, since there can be no PR-friendly quotes regarding their strategy.

it is amazing just how much Microsoft is mirroring the fucked up shit Sony did to destroy the goodwill of fans at the start of this past gen.

What is this dumbass apologist bullshit? Are you fucking kidding me?

Chakan

MY GOD looooooooooool

RulkezX

This is the same attitude that came through during his interview with the BBC.

Microsoft don't care , they are serving us a shit sandwich and fully expect us to lap it up.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

a) The system itself only requires Internet connectivity because Microsoft intentionally designed it that way. As with the PS4 and previous generations, it could function perfectly well without Internet for most games. People would only run into issues on games with important online components. This is a problem and a division of the audience that Microsoft chose to make.

b) There's a much more tactful way to say this, if they had real fundamental gaming-related reasons for requiring an online connection.

Tamanon

Banned
Guys, remember....Mattrick still has to sell 360s, gotta clear out the warehouse. This is the best of both worlds! Offline = 360, Online = One.

Eusis

It honestly looked embarrassing.
I dunno about that, but it looked to be a heavily scripted, QTE infested linear cinematic action game. Not even as exciting as the likes of God of War can be either, so while the graphics were nice it's basically the opposite of what I want out of gaming anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom