• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he said if you don't have an internet connection, go get an Xbox 360 instead!

Not surprised by this fucking shit at all. I am seeing Xbox diehards saying this same sort of thing all over the net recently.

Appalling, this Don Mattrick bozo. No reason to support the Xbone really. Complete corporate arrogance. I get enough of that at work, fuck them.

MS if creating a system that can fully make the transition to fully digital easily with no repercussions from fans in the coming years.

I feel for those with bandwidth caps, but don't be made at MS for that.. be complaining to your ISP for their antiquated restrictions.

And that's why we are not ready for full digital yet and probably won't be within these next console cycles. Until the infrastructure for a fully digital system is available then maybe go for it, but right now that doesn't apply to the majority of people.

You have other options, go use them.

Yep, the PS4.

JABEE

]This is the same attitude that came through during his interview with the BBC.[/B]

Microsoft don't care , they are serving us a shit sandwich and fully expect us to lap it up.

Yeah. He said something like "what else do you want me to tell you" when asked about the required internet connection/used games.

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with his X360 comment.. because it's true.

MS if creating a system that can fully make the transition to fully digital easily with no repercussions from fans in the coming years. Forced online means that direct digital downloads can become the norm, Sony has set itself up for major backlash if they chose to do that in the future.. as they are going to alienate the retail only consumer if they ever chose to make a full on switch, and they will still have to cater to retail as a full supply chain for the entire console lifetime.

The Xbox One has a stopgap built in to allow both, but knowing all console owners will have a digital connection they will no longer have to always consider how their online store effects things at the retail level. So hopefully we will see a more robust online marketplace with much more fluid pricing and sales.

If you have no internet, complaining you can't play the XBONE is the same as complaining you can't watch Netflix or download PC games. You have other options, go use them.. because catering to that crowd means you are forced to limit other things.

I'd rather have a system that forces an even playing field for devs to program for, one where an internet connection is mandatory.

I feel for those with bandwidth caps, but don't be made at MS for that.. be complaining to your ISP for their antiquated restrictions.
Whilst I take your points on board, there's still no reason why all the above can't be done on a game-by-game basis, without mandatory across-the-board Internet requirements and draconian 24-hour check-ins to ensure your games continue to work.

I can play my iPad games whilst anywhere without Internet. It's still a fully digital forward-looking device however.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

ixiZQHS34stYN.gif

Ho-ho-holy shit.

Kogepan

MS if creating a system that can fully make the transition to fully digital easily with no repercussions from fans in the coming years. Forced online means that direct digital downloads can become the norm, Sony has set itself up for major backlash if they chose to do that in the future.. as they are going to alienate the retail only consumer if they ever chose to make a full on switch, and they will still have to cater to retail as a full supply chain for the entire console lifetime.

The Xbox One has a stopgap built in to allow both, but knowing all console owners will have a digital connection they will no longer have to always consider how their online store effects things at the retail level. So hopefully we will see a more robust online marketplace with much more fluid pricing and sales.

If you have no internet, complaining you can't play the XBONE is the same as complaining you can't watch Netflix or download PC games. You have other options, go use them.. because catering to that crowd means you are forced to limit other things.

I'd rather have a system that forces an even playing field for devs to program for, one where an internet connection is mandatory.

So MS is going to keep developing games for X360 years down the line just to satisfy the poor scrubs? x360 will die off in a couple years once software devleopment inevitably focuses on the newer generation. Then what?

Zukuu

Banned
This is absolutely 2006 Sony.
It's worse. PS3 actually had potential, more powerful hardware, had no drm, didn't blocked used etc everything but the price was fine. They offer the inferior product in every imaginable way, shape or form AND want a higher price.

Those statements are laughable. I don't know what XBONE higher ups are thinking...

Croyles

Probably already been done to death but:

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called PS4"

Kusagari

I don't think a tag has ever been more appropriate than yours.

Raptor

What the fuck?

I mean come on man.

I might be going against the tide on this one, but I am genuinely excited for the Xbox One. Will be getting both consoles anyway, but I think the new Xbox has amazing potential.

Anyway, as always, it will come down to how well the developers create games that use its unique features.

What? Someone who likes the XB1?

BURN HIM!

In all seriousness though, I'm excited too. Glad to see someone else who is excited in this sea of hate. :p

Shinta

Banned
It's worse. PS3 actually had potential, more powerful hardware, had no drm, didn't blocked used etc everything but the price was fine. They offer the inferior product in every imaginable way, shape or form AND want a higher price.

Those statements are laughable. I don't know what XBONE higher ups are thinking...

It's way worse. PS3 honestly did have backwards compatibility, a blu-ray drive, batteries in the controllers and a wi-fi adapter built in.

$600 was too much, and their PR was shit, but it's nothing like what MS is pushing here.

megalowho

The just don't get it. You don't get to tell people your restrictive DRM and complicated console policies are beneficial for consumers and then not show any concrete evidence as to why. The onus is on Microsoft to have a killer app that makes people realize why they need an always online infrastructure on a system level, which hasn't happened.

Exactly...Sony had the carrot as well as the stick. Xbone, nothing.

I might be going against the tide on this one, but I am genuinely excited for the Xbox One. Will be getting both consoles anyway, but I think the new Xbox has amazing potential.

Anyway, as always, it will come down to how well the developers create games that use its unique features.
Where's that astroturfer checklist? I found a new talking point to add.

MicH

Jesus Christ Mattrick. Just.. Stop talking. Stop answering fucking questions! You keep embarrassing yourself with stupid answers! "I don't know what else to say" "no Internet? Lulz then buy a 360"

Jesus ducking Christ

BigDug13

Sony wasn't THIS bad.

Sure the hubris was there, but no where near the level of 'LOL GO BUY A 360 IF YOU WANT OFFLINE GAYMES".

Yeah honestly Sony's hubris was limited to, "yeah, it's expensive. Deal with it." Everything else about it was still a Playstation.

TL4E

It looks like they're going to go into defense mode until reality kicks them in the ass once the consoles launch (admittedly it wouldn't look good if they were immediately apologetic).

And the comment about having a product for "offline" users is ridiculous. They know the vast majority of their potential consumers have a stable internet connection. It's not about that. It's about the fact that no one wants to put up with DRM and constant "checking in" BS.

You should have anticipated how crap your decisions were Don.

I love the games coming to XB1. Your decisions for no used games + 24 hour/1 hour connectivity have no defense.

Not sure what the fuss is all about since all of this seems completely obvious well before now. New CE platforms devices aren't aimed at anyone but the top half of the market at release. The current gen/last gen is always what the platform holder pitches toward the emerging markets and the price-conscious consumer when people call out pricing or added requirements that many vocal people online and elsewhere have a problem with. MS had to have anticipated resistance and some significant peeling off of consumers and fans with their changes. Every generation that they've been in the console market, MS has initiated and made standard what many had problems with and called for to change. MS rarely wavered and persevered to keep those changes as part of the package of their platform. This is exactly how MS rolls and has been like this since the beginning. Not saying it's the best way to go about things, but MS has consistently pushed for more drastic changes to what makes a console than any other platform holder on the market, for better or worse. This stuff he's saying now just seems expected and same as any time before.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense.

The new Xbox360 looks like the Xbox One. So I guess it's the same thing. Almost.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm the biggest detractor of all this but changing that check-in to 2-4 weeks would do wonders for them. 1 day is atrocious. It can render the box useless for people in many different situations. For example, moving to a new apartment or house. Lengthen the check in and confirm it already.

I'd like that too, but we all know how consumers would work that system to their advantage by buying some games, selling them and unplugging their box until the 2 to 4 week check-in required them too do it and lose their games.

It's why return policies went from pro-consumer to pro-retailer.. because dishonest people took advantage of them.. and it hurts honest people.

I'm not a huge fan of the 24 hr check-in, but I can honestly think of so many few times it personally effect me. Yet I see it more of necessity to stop problems from occurring due to the used game policy. If we weren't able to sell games or trade them in, then I think a monthly call-in would work with no issues.

Steam has no reason to check in all the time, since all the games were bought and can't be traded in. Yet you still need to call home every few weeks or you can't play them.

Don Mattrick said:
"Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Ugh, fuck off. I hate insincere soundbites like this. Besides, it's been created by a corporation for other corporations. We're like a peripheral consideration.

Sorian

Banned
I mean this in the absolute nicest way possible and I am not attacking his character in any way but god, anytime he speaks
or claps
I can't help but think of a weasel.

Anyway, this is a very "better than thou" position that microsoft is taking and I hope it comes back to bite them. I just worry that all this moneyhatting and dudebro catering will still get people to buy this awful machine. I'd like to say that once people see, first-hand, what it means to be always connected that the real outpouring will start but a sale on this is already a win for microsoft each time, they don't care if you are outraged afterwards.

Dazzler

Mattrick has the worst hair in all of video games. It's like something his mother forced on him when he was five that he kept to this day

Jetman

Other Option- PS4. And it's cheaper. And it doesn't force me to figuratively tie one hand behind my back or jump through hoops if my Internet connection craps out. Why would anyone pay more for a worse product? I just don't get it.

njean777

My god I laughed so hard at this.

Ding-Ding

The more interviews I see with him, the more I think that Adam Orth looks positively pleasent in comparison.

At least we can now say Adam was fired for breaking NDA and not for talking to customers like crap. Obviously, MS doesn't give a shit about the latter

Seems obvious now that Xbox One is a full on digital-only console with disc releases tacked on to appease those who don't have good enough internet yet. That's why their used games policy is some weird abomination of physical meets digital.
This is their broadband-only for the new generation. Next gen this shit won't even matter because we'll be all digital anyway.

Steam has no reason to check in all the time, since all the games were bought and can't be traded in. Yet you still need to call home every few weeks or you can't play them.

Wow, your tag seriously is the best I have ever seen. It's been debunked so many times that steam does not need to "check in" for offline mode.

Please, go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom