• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump on illegal Israeli settlements: "Keep going"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel should keep building settlements in the West Bank, Republican front-runner Donald Trump said on Tuesday, linking construction to the continued rocket threat that Israel faces from the Gaza Strip and which has seen it drawn into three wars against Hamas-run Gaza in recent years.

In an interview with the British Daily Mail on Tuesday, Trump said there should be no pause in settlement construction, a position at odds with that of the Obama administration, which in 2009 encouraged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to implement a freeze new construction for 10 months in an effort restart stalled peace talks with the Palestinians. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas refused to negotiate until the very end of the freeze, which Netanyahu then refused to extend.

Asked if there should be a pause in settlement building, Trump was quoted answering as follows: “No, I don’t think it is, because I think Israel should have – they really have to keep going. They have to keep moving forward… I don’t think there should be a pause… Look: Missiles were launched into Israel, and Israel, I think, never was properly treated by our country. I mean, do you know what that is, how devastating that is?”

“You have hundreds and, I guess, thousands of missiles being launched into Israel, who would put up with that? Who would stand for it?” he added.
Asked about Netanyahu, Trump said he was a “very good guy” whom he didn’t know that well.

“I think I’d have a very good relationship with him,’ Trump said, adding that he thinks “Obama has been extremely bad to Israel.”

Israel began building settlements in the West Bank after it captured the territory, hitherto controlled by Jordan, in the Six Day War in 1967. Today, over 250,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-israel-should-keep-building-west-bank-settlements/

DrArchon

Not shocking at all. The only shocking thing here is how much it lines up with the establishment party doctrine (guess they can't hate him 100%).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Israel was never properly treated by the US? Is he trying to appeal to the angst ridden teenage population of Israel? "The united states never really got you, like I do Israel."

What? Conservatives are very pro Israel.

The conspiracy theorists that are overwhelming pro Trump don't support Israel. His other voting block, blue collar white working America doesn't care about Israel. The conservatives that support Israel but not Trump aren't going to be swayed by this but I believe the conspiracy theory crowd will take pause.

Well, I guess his promises of evenhandedness here couldn't last.

Not like Hillary is going to say anything different.

No, she'll nominally oppose settlements while adamantly opposing any attempt to hold Israel accountable for continuing to build them. A truly vast difference!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I like how he claims Netanyahu is a really great guy but that he doesn't know him in the same sentence. Well how the fuck do you know his a great guy if you don't know him. I've never seen that movie except for some commercials but I know its great!

Eh, I don't trust him. Hillary will still be the better candidate on Israel.

The conspiracy theorists that are overwhelming pro Trump don't support Israel. His other voting block, blue collar white working America doesn't care about Israel. The conservatives that support Israel but not Trump aren't going to be swayed by this but I believe the conspiracy theory crowd will take pause.

Uh, what? Every demographic in America is overwhelmingly pro-Israel and that is only increasing.

Infinite

Israel was never properly treated by the US? Is he trying to appeal to the angst ridden teenage population of Israel? "The united states never really got you, like I do Israel."
Which would be confusing because Isreali teenagers can't vote for him

Conspiracy theorists aren't that big of a voting bloc.

GavinGT

Banned
I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but man, fuck Israel. I feel like half the world's problems stem from them deciding to move back in there like 1500 years later.

Toxi

Banned
I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but man, fuck Israel. I feel like half the world's problems stem from them deciding to move back in there like 1500 years later.
As someone who fucking hates what Israel is doing today and our continued unwavering support of them, this is stupid. We're talking about the actions of people in 1948, not those living in the country now.

Plus, it's not like the US should be throwing any shade about creating "the world's problems".

CCS

Banned

If only there was some reason which could explain why people might have thought a Jewish state was a good idea...

Oppo

that pandering fuckwit knows not what he is screwing with.

edit - got an ad for first responder training in Israel. thanks adbot

GavinGT

Banned
If only there was some reason which could explain why people might have thought a Jewish state was a good idea...

I understand that, but they picked like the worst place possible if they just wanted to be left alone.

I'm not trying to blame every Israeli or anything. And I get that it's their holy land. It's just a huge fucking powder keg.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I mean, he's a wealthy New Yorker. He's probably spent most of his life around wealthy Zionists.

As a former New York senator, I don't expect Clinton to reverse US foreign policy towards Israel either.

Whooooooo boooooooyyyyyyy

I really dislike that he thinks this, but I can't help but have some sort of schadenfreude towards the alt-right /pol/ crowds who were all on Trump's dick thinking he was going to drive out the perceived influence of the "Jewish Illuminati secret master plan for America", and apparently Obama wasn't giving Israel enough taxpayer money.

what a real hoo-hah.

zeroOman

I understand that, but they picked like the worst place possible if they just wanted to be left alone.

I'm not trying to blame every Israeli or anything. And I get that it's their holy land. It's just a huge fucking powder keg.

They could have moved there like normal ppl (jew where living there) without there army... they were aggressive in creating country just for Israeli ppl.

Haarasilimanila

Neo Member
What's up with Israel hate in this forum, it's not like Hamas kill bunch of Israelis every day and its not like Israel have been invaded by bunch of Arab countries before.

So is this Trumps Israel policy du jour?

Comes out early speaking against Israel, then says the Israeli's love him and he marched with Israel (...?), and then says Israel should continue building settlements?

Tomorrow, he denies the holocaust. Monday, he claims that the Palestinians love him and that he can work with Arafat, oh he's dead? Great man. What a man. America needs more men like Arafat.

What's up with Israel hate in this forum, it's not like Hamas kill bunch of Israelis every day and its not like Israel have been invaded by bunch of Arab countries before.

Israel is generally considered worse than Isis on this forum and a good number of places around the internet.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Granted there could have been better choices of land, do you really believe the "half the world's problems" part though?

CCS

Banned

These two kind of answer each other.

If you want to blame anyone for the creation of Israel, don't blame Jews for wanting to return to their holy land, blame the UN for saying yes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The conspiracy theorists that are overwhelming pro Trump don't support Israel.

It doesn't matter. His stance is easily rationalized by them.

"He is only supporting Israel because thats what EVERY candidate has to do. Show me the candidate who doesn't support Israel."

There, that is their rationalization in two sentences.

GavinGT

Banned
Granted there could have been better choices of land, do you really believe the "half the world's problems" part though?

I was exaggerating a bit. But it does seem to be a catalyst for a lot of the trouble in the middle east, and US support of Israel seems to be a motivating factor for many acts of terrorism against the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom