• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump on illegal Israeli settlements: "Keep going"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

What's up with Israel hate in this forum, it's not like Hamas kill bunch of Israelis every day and its not like Israel have been invaded by bunch of Arab countries before.
It's not hate.

I'm all for a Israel AND Palestine but building settlements exacerbates the problems they're having.

Obama knows it. Israel knows that. Trump should know it.

Israel is generally considered worse than Isis on this forum and a good number of places around the internet.

Great job generalizing. Have you conducted a poll to verify your statement?

I'm convinced that his earlier statement about neutrality on Israel was made because he didn't know anything about it. Like, not just that he hadn't recently been briefed on the details, but that he actually had no idea of what exactly the Israel-Palestinian conflict was about, what our country's position and history there was, and what he was supposed to say. So he figured "Hey, I'll do like I always do and bullshit an answer that sounds reasonable. I'll just say I'll be neutral! Who could be upset about me being neutral?" Little did he know...

Maxim726X

He isn't skating around it like others. He enjoys a "good" genocide, I imagine.

You're assuming he actually understands anything about Israel.

He doesn't. He's just being a populist- Again.

I'm convinced that his earlier statement about neutrality on Israel was made because he didn't know anything about it. Like, not just that he hadn't recently been briefed on the details, but that he actually had no idea of what exactly the Israel-Palestinian conflict was about, what our country's position and history there was, and what he was supposed to say. So he figured "Hey, I'll do like I always do and bullshit an answer that sounds reasonable. I'll just say I'll be neutral! Who could be upset about me being neutral?" Little did he know...

A much more eloquent restating of my general point, thank you.

SamVimes

It doesn't matter. His stance is easily rationalized by them.

"He is only supporting Israel because thats what EVERY candidate has to do. Show me the candidate who doesn't support Israel."

There, that is their rationalization in two sentences.

That's the same rationalization Hillary supporters use on this forum, so I don't get what's the big deal about what Trump said this time.

and Israel, I think, never was properly treated by our country.

this has to be a fucking joke. if anything, we've been far too charitable and meddling in their affairs. why the fuck are we still even involved? what do we gain by kissing their asses constantly? if the answer is the same old "they're a great ally in the region" then why do they need protection if they're such a badass strong ally?

shit makes no sense. Trump needs to be called out on his "we need to mind our own business" rhetoric he threw out there recently. then again he doesn't understand the concept of being a hypocrite. just saying whatever gets votes.

zeroOman

These two kind of answer each other.

If you want to blame anyone for the creation of Israel, don't blame Jews for wanting to return to their holy land, blame the UN for saying yes.

But u know there were some jew living in Jerusalem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Palestine

According to Ottoman statistics studied by Justin McCarthy,[26] the population of Palestine in the early 19th century was 350,000, in 1860 it was 411,000 and in 1900 about 600,000 of which 94% were Arabs. In 1914 Palestine had a population of 657,000 Muslim Arabs, 81,000 Christian Arabs, and 59,000 Jews.[27] McCarthy estimates the non-Jewish population of Palestine at 452,789 in 1882, 737,389 in 1914, 725,507 in 1922, 880,746 in 1931 and 1,339,763 in 1946.[28]

Quixzlizx

I was exaggerating a bit. But it does seem to be a catalyst for a lot of the trouble in the middle east, and US support of Israel seems to be a motivating factor for many acts of terrorism against the west.

The US doesn't meddle in the Middle East in order to support Israel, they support Israel in order to meddle in the Middle East.

You have your cause and effect backwards.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I was exaggerating a bit. But it does seem to be a catalyst for a lot of the trouble in the middle east, and US support of Israel seems to be a motivating factor for many acts of terrorism against the west.

I wish I had the time to write an extended and informative reply.
Let me just say: news media and education have failed you if this is what you believe.

Nope, he just picked up a bunch of conservative Christians with that one. If you don't support Israel, it means you country will burn in hell...or something like that.

Nonono, see, we have to protect Israel so we can bring about the Kingdom of God within 1000 years, so the Second Coming will actually happen.

GavinGT

Banned
I wish I had the time to write an extended and informative reply.
Let me just say: news media and education have failed you if this is what you believe.

Well I did start off by saying I probably didn't know what I was talking about! There are so many layers and it's like I have to go back to the beginning of time to make sense of it. And our schools teach us practically nothing about this stuff. I see things like bin Laden's letter to America and it makes me think that things would be way less tense if Israel was never founded there.

Dennis

Banned
I can't see Hillary being opposed to anything Israel is doing so I am not sure they are different on this issue.

Trump just has a big mouth is all.

I mean, he's a wealthy New Yorker. He's probably spent most of his life around wealthy Zionists.

As a former New York senator, I don't expect Clinton to reverse US foreign policy towards Israel either.

I think that this post is veiled antisemitism. Exchanging the word "Jews" for "Zionists," because both Hillary Clinton and Trump spent time in New York, a city known for having a large Jewish population, so their sensibilities have been corrupted by wealthy Jews.

It just fits the antisemitic stereotypes. Despite that Clinton and Trump are surrounded by wealthy people from New York in most political issues, there's something insidious and powerful about wealthy Jews that trick otherwise sensible gentiles into supporting their world-eating Zionist philosophy.

It's not that it isn't broadly true (wealthy people have all sorts of influence on our politicians), but the Jews are given a greater power of corruption and conspiratorial merit than other lobbyists from different cultural backgrounds. For sure, there's a lot of wealthy Germans who live in New York, a lot of wealthy British in New York, wealthy Irish in New York, wealthy Arabs in New York, and so on. New York is the quintessential melting pot city that has wealthy people from all countries and all backgrounds living in it. Trump and Clinton, having lived in New York and been powerful people in New York, have likely been surrounded by wealthy Germans, Chinese, British, Irish, French, Japanese, Spanish, and what have you, throughout their entire lives.

Yet it's always the wealthy New York Jews who are the ones to pervert American sensibilities.

What's up with Israel hate in this forum, it's not like Hamas kill bunch of Israelis every day and its not like Israel have been invaded by bunch of Arab countries before.

Everyday?

Hamas kills Israelis everyday? What bullshit.

If this was the case the israeli government would be screaming it from the mountain tops with continuous incursions into Palestinian territory

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well I did start off by saying I probably didn't know what I was talking about! There are so many layers and it's like I have to go back to the beginning of time to make sense of it. And our schools teach us practically nothing about this stuff. I see things like bin Laden's letter to America and it makes me think that things would be way less tense if Israel was never founded there.

So that's your main takeaway from reading that letter from start to finish? Sorry but I call bullshit.

E92 M3

I love reading blatant antisemitism. I don't understand how that's ok. Either way, the US government supports Israel, so it's not just Trump.

Great job generalizing. Have you conducted a poll to verify your statement?

I did, it was very scientific. The most scientific.

The findings were that ISIS is the most despised, and Israel is a close a second. Electronic Arts was third, people who tip at restaurants were 4th. Rounding out the top 5 was an exact tie between Bethesda and Al Qaeda.

Otherwise, welcome to the internet. Feel free to quote the other 75 posts in this thread that have a generalization.

So that's your main takeaway from reading that letter from start to finish? Sorry but I call bullshit.

Yeaah, if anything, Al-Qaeda's westward turn was a result of being abandoned. CIA trained 'em all to fight Russia as a proxy(muh Taliban), then we kinda left them like that with war torn areas and ignored their pleas for help. We would later be in Kuwait and Iraq for Desert Storm and Shield, and again refuse to fix up anything else. Lots of disaffected youths, plenty of dead civilians, and infrastructure trashed...WE created the very conditions for the terrorism over the last 30 years. Our efforts at nation building displaced millions and killed so, so many, and all the while the American people were either not told of it, or told nice tidy lies. "They hate us for our freedom!"

The cause for unrest in the Middle East is tied most strongly to the US, THEN to intra-Islamic disagreements, THEN to Israel.

Didn't he say something negative about Israel at the beginning of the primaries?

edit: and the US didn't treat Israel well? Is he that ignorant about how Israel was created or who shields them from UN for breaking international laws?

Toxi

Banned
That's the same rationalization Hillary supporters use on this forum, so I don't get what's the big deal about what Trump said this time.
The only really big deal about this is that for some reason Trump's supporters claimed he was "different" on Israel even though his record showed otherwise.

But Trump supporters being supremely gullible is nothing new. Just look at how many think his healthcare ideas are so much nicer than the other Republicans'.

Arnie7

Banned
Well, he just lost a good portion of his voting block.

The conspiracy theorists that are overwhelming pro Trump don't support Israel. His other voting block, blue collar white working America doesn't care about Israel. The conservatives that support Israel but not Trump aren't going to be swayed by this but I believe the conspiracy theory crowd will take pause.

Yep he deffo lost my vote. The only issue that could have made me not back him. Turns out he's not that different from Hillary after all. Same side of same coin. Also being funded by same people.

I think that this post is veiled antisemitism. Exchanging the word "Jews" for "Zionists," because both Hillary Clinton and Trump spent time in New York, a city known for having a large Jewish population, so their sensibilities have been corrupted by wealthy Jews.

It just fits the antisemitic stereotypes. Despite that Clinton and Trump are surrounded by wealthy people from New York in most political issues, there's something insidious and powerful about wealthy Jews that trick otherwise sensible gentiles into supporting their world-eating Zionist philosophy.

It's not that it isn't broadly true (wealthy people have all sorts of influence on our politicians), but the Jews are given a greater power of corruption and conspiratorial merit than other lobbyists from different cultural backgrounds. For sure, there's a lot of wealthy Germans who live in New York, a lot of wealthy British in New York, wealthy Irish in New York, wealthy Arabs in New York, and so on. New York is the quintessential melting pot city that has wealthy people from all countries and all backgrounds living in it. Trump and Clinton, having lived in New York and been powerful people in New York, have likely been surrounded by wealthy Germans, Chinese, British, Irish, French, Japanese, Spanish, and what have you, throughout their entire lives.

Yet it's always the wealthy New York Jews who are the ones to pervert American sensibilities.

Huh? Don't most wealthy Jewish people living in America have strong ties to Israel more so than other ethnic groups do with their homeland?

It's like in their religion...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Huh? Don't most wealthy Jewish people living in America have strong ties to Israel more so than other ethnic groups do with their homeland?

No, most wealthy Jewish people in America do not have strong ties to Israel. This is completely made up (not saying it's made up by you, but it's a fabricated widely held belief).

There are certainly wealthy Jewish people in the United States who do have ties to Israel, just like there are wealthy Japanese people who have ties to Japan, or wealthy Germans who have ties to Germany, or wealthy Kuwaitis who have ties to Kuwait, or wealthy Irish people with ties to Ireland. It is also true that many Jewish Americans have visited Israel, just like how many Irish-Americans have visited Ireland, or Greek Americans have visited Greece, or many Indian Americans have visited India. On the religious side, many Catholics have visited the Vatican. As an American with Irish background who was raised Catholic, I've both visited Ireland and Rome :)

But most Jewish people living in America have no ties to Israel. Most wealthy Jewish people have no ties to Israel. It's not part of their religion. There is no part of the Judaism that is practiced in America that dictates that Jews should support the political entity of Israel. This is, somehow, the mythic power that Judaism and Jewry are granted over every other religion or culture in the country, and while the people who believe this aren't necessarily motivated by antisemitism (e.g., they harbor no ill will towards Jews, Judaism, or any other part of Jewish culture), it's a belief that is seeded by antisemitism... That Jews or people with Jewish backgrounds (who are a very smell minority of Americans and also hold a wide variety of political opinions) are able to corrupt American politics in a way that no other people are able to do. Also, Jewish people don't eat Christian babies during passover. Thankfully this belief has mostly been extinguished in the US and Europe over the last 40 years.

*edit*

Adding a point here after thinking about it... I do think it's fitting that a thread about Trump brings up the divisiveness that many people think about when it comes to Jews. Trump has led to this huge increase in skepticism and distrust about people who have a Latin American background living in the United States, and something you said at the beginning of your post "don't most Jewish people living in America..." is emblematic of Trump's racism towards people from Latin America, but spun against the Jewish diaspora. "Jewish people living in America" are Americans, just as Latin American people living in America are Americans, just as Saudi Arabian people living in America are Americans, and the idea that an American with, say, Guatamalean background has a true allegiance to Guatamala, or an American with Saudi background has a true allegiance to Saudi Arabia, or that an American with a Jewish background (religious or cultural) has a true allegiance to Israel is very off base and motivated by xenophobia.

HeelPower

So if Israelis can illegally expand settlements as they wish,why can't illegal immigrants freely enter & live in the US?

I'm pretty sure Hillary has been very against Israeli settlements in the past. I don't know what she's saying now, but she definitely wasn't in favor, and wanted some kind of peace. She had her frustrations with Netanyahu over this as well. Of course, that didn't stop the US from being the only country to be opposed and veto a UN resolution.

Again, I don't know what she's saying about it now.

hoggert

No, most wealthy Jewish people in America do not have strong ties to Israel. This is completely made up.
Thank you. I had a much less polite reply typed but decided it probably wasn't worth it. The ignorance that pops up regarding Jews, Romani, SA, etc. on this fucking forum.

Jag

You are wrong.

Dual loyalty

A canard found in The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, but dating to before that document, is that Jews are more loyal to world Jewry than to their own country. Since the establishment of the state of Israel, this canard has taken the form of accusations that Jewish citizens of countries such as the United States are more loyal to Israel than to their country of residence.

Wealthy American Jews with reactionary views on Israel have amassed significant power in the ranks of both the Democratic and GOP donor classes. This is an obvious fact and there is nothing anti-Semitic or conspiratorial about pointing this out.

And yes, many American Jews - certainly not a majority, but a disproportionately wealthy and influential minority - do care more about Israel than any other domestic or foreign policy issue. This is also an obvious fact.

But most Jewish people living in America have no ties to Israel. Most wealthy Jewish people have no ties to Israel. It's not part of their religion. There is no part of the Judaism that is practiced in America that dictates that Jews should support the political entity of Israel.

It's evident that you didn't grow up in the American Jewish community, because this is absolute nonsense. It certainly doesn't describe any of the Hebrew schools or Jewish summer camps I went to as a kid.

The American Jewish establishment - as in major Jewish organizations and institutions, not American Jews in general - is overwhelmingly aligned with a not particularly liberal form of Zionism, one in which any critical discussion of the morality of the wars in Gaza or questioning the narrative of the terrifying Iranian nuclear threat is verboten.

Apathy

lol thousands of missiles, o lordy the hyperbole. Shit I'm amazed Israel can see the sun with that many missiles blocking out the skies

LakeEarth

This angers me, but Trump has been saying whatever people want to hear to the people who want to hear it. I don't even know what the guy actually believes. All I know is that he loves the sound of his own voice.

E92 M3

Wealthy American Jews with reactionary views on Israel have amassed significant power in the ranks of both the Democratic and GOP donor classes. This is an obvious fact and there is nothing anti-Semitic or conspiratorial about pointing this out.

That's true, but doesn't stop a bunch of other people from being anti-Semitic. Go back and reread some posts. It's disgusting, honestly and I normally don't care about this stuff.

Jag

Why single out Jews? Why not say "Wealthy Americans with reactionary views on Israel have amassed significant power in the ranks of both the Democratic and GOP donor classes."

When you make a statement that has been used for 100s of years to purge Jews it is anti-semitic. You can make statements about other races or ethnic groups that may be factually correct yet still be racist. As a matter of fact, that's a hallmark feature of Trump supporters.

Jumeira

Banned
lol thousands of missiles, o lordy the hyperbole. Shit I'm amazed Israel can see the sun with that many missiles blocking out the skies

Like how he encourages land grabbing then is shocked at any retaliation for it.

"Why are they angry?" - while they mistreat an entire nation inhumanely and slowly rob them of their heritage and identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom