• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns announced [N-CONF]

Agalloch

Nintendo today show hardcore, old school, love for games + new 3d technologies and wins the internet.
And with Wii saved the noble art of 2d platforming

Rich!

Quick, someone start a HIRE DAVE WISE petition to be sent to Retro! And is it just me, or does anyone else think that 'Donkey Kong Country Returns' is a bit...naff? I'd much prefer Donkey Kong Country 4, or even just Donkey Kong Country Wii.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Calling it right now, this game will be a huge success. I have no idea why it took nintendo so damn long.

richisawesome said:
Quick, someone start a HIRE DAVE WISE petition to be sent to Retro! And is it just me, or does anyone else think that 'Donkey Kong Country Returns' is a bit...naff? I'd much prefer Donkey Kong Country 4, or even just Donkey Kong Country Wii.

I personally think all those names are shit, just super happy the game is a reality.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
While it doesn't have that ol Rare charm it sure as shit is the best thing we're gonna get this day and age.

Can't fucking wait

So i hope there are Retro developers to give some interviews on this game. I want to know some behind the scenes stuff about how this game came to be and the direction they took.

richisawesome said:
And is it just me, or does anyone else think that 'Donkey Kong Country Returns' is a bit...naff
Coming from the same guys that brought you Skyward Sword and Kirby's Epic Yarn. Nintendo probably went insane from the amount of their own great stuff. :lol

Gamer @ Heart said:
So i hope there are Retro developers to give some interviews on this game. I want to know some behind the scenes stuff about how this game came to be and the direction they took.

That'd be really interesting.

These guys don't get the credit they deserve.

Lijik

richisawesome said:
The name is totally naff, but thats what I love about it :lol

At least it isnt "NEW Donkey Kong Country"

Tiktaalik

Nintendo saw all those NSMB sales and finally realized that 2D games are really fun and accessible and people will definitely buy them at full price on the console.

Socreges

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Nostalgia relying entirely on nostalgia for sales and hype.

The platforming looks really really standard and unimaginative. At least it's more fast paced than I recall the old dkc playing, but then again that may be because this is a trailer showing "cool" stuff in small doses.

Oh wait, I mean, holy moly it's a game that reminds me of something I played as a kid. Goty!
Mr. B Natural said:
They were pretty basic but solid. There wasn't much to distinguish itself from other platformers other than the graphics which at the time were amazing.
The old DKC's were fine, but there was no reason to continue making them and customers pretty much agreed. So they stopped.

10 years later - things haven't changed. Still no reason to keep making them other than for nostalgia's sake. More reboots, remakes and safe sequels - that's what this industry needs! Super safe remake-esque sequels make reboots seem risque and artistic.

I don't understand how someone can roll their eyes to another COD but go apeshit over this. Pun intended of course :lol

I'm all for reboots like the new Kirby or Epic Mickey, but this pure nostalgia for nostalgia's sake stuff needs to stop. I don't care if you're talking about DKC, COD, Zelda or GoW. Gaf's double standards when it comes to it needs to stop as well. Unless a game has a narrative that needs to continue and or the developers have a slew of fantastic new ideas to implement (mario galaxy or cod4), a sequel seems unnecessary to me.

I guess you guys have your fun putting your rose tinted glasses back on. I just find it strange that people were slipping their red glasses off for one day after the abysmall ms e3 showing because they noticed how silly waggle and sequel after sequel gets only to put them back on after nintendo showed a bunch of shitty waggle and a slew of uninteresting sequels. Makes NO sense to me.
Listen. When you're talking about the follies of sequels or your opinion on the quality of certain games/franchises, that's completely up to you. I even agree with certain points. But the moment you start telling me why I enjoy certain things? Get the fuck out of here.

KevinCow

Banned
My one complaint with the trailer is that they're using DK's tard voice from the Mario sports games. I wish they'd use the grunts and roars like Brawl.

SlickVic

About time. I've been waiting forever for a new DKC game and I'm sure I'm not the only one. SNES was my only console till I got a PS2 in 2001, so I played a ton of DKC and DKC2 back in the day.

Unfortunately don't have a Wii yet and it's sad because of all the great games it has now, but this is definitely going to push me to get one sooner rather than later.

I totally didn't expect the Retro DK announcement to be a classic 2D platformer ala DKC. But this, this is simply and beautifully amazing.

SaintZ

I will buy this. I haven't played a Donkey Kong game since Dixie's Kong Double Trouble (well, I played Konga but that was a different beast). The trailer made me sooooo happy in the inside :D

bridegur

For the most part, it looks great. It seems to be channeling the good things about the original DKC games and updating the gameplay. My only hope is that they can get the character models up to the quality of Jungle Beat.

Twig

Banned
Socreges said:

Just two days spent in the Gaming Forum and I don't know if I can take any more.
no please stay you're just so cool gaming forum couldn't take it if you left

Lijik

SquirrelNuckle said:
How can this be a DKC game with out Kremlings? :[
Well the enemies are tribal dudes, and this was K Rool's randomass outfit in Super Sluggers:
0.jpg

So fingers crossed that was some crazy foreshadowing.

DarthButcher said:
I totally didn't expect the Retro DK announcement to be a classic 2D platformer ala DKC. But this, this is simply and beautifully amazing.

Yeah.

To be honest, when I first heard about Retro being tied to a Donkey Kong game, I was imagining leaping over barrels in first-person.

This is much better.

Drakken

This is definitely the game announcement I'm most excited about.

The big question is whether or not Dave Wise is doing the music.

Drakken said:
This is definitely the game announcement I'm most excited about.

The big question is whether or not Dave Wise is doing the music.

Well, if he isn't, throw the man a crapload of $$$ and make it happen. What a difference that would make.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm thinking that maybe Nintendo and Retro making a new DKC and Dave Wise leaving Rare might have something to do with each other...

I'm just here to cheer for the real great news about this and Kirby : both feature local coop in a great looking platformer.

Can't wait to play this with a buddy.

Wouldn't it sound better if it was 'Return to Donkey Kong Country'? Sounds a little weird. Pretty neat looking, I admit...and I was never a big fan of the DKC games.

hyduK

Banned
I was disappointed to not see any snow/factory levels in this trailer....but regardless, DKC is never a bad thing.

1stStrike

Banned
Wow.

I was actually just talking to my friend about how much I despised this game on SNES earlier today.

Then, I login to GAF and BAM! Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Dear God.

Top Bottom