• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom announced (id/Bethesda, PC/PS4/XB1, idtech6, 1080p/60fps, gore), first details

FaintDeftone

iTQ74H132e4N2.gif

Gotdaaaaaaaamn! I can't freaking wait, With that description no Doom fan should be able to wait lol. I actually replayed both 2 games on superhuman about a year and a half ago, It still is satisfying as hell and holds up really fucking well.

That gif made me bust out laughing in the middle of work and now everybody is looking at me like I'm crazy. Thank you, sir! *saved*

iTQ74H132e4N2.gif

Gotdaaaaaaaamn! I can't freaking wait, With that description no Doom fan should be able to wait lol. I actually replayed both 2 games on superhuman about a year and a half ago, It still is satisfying as hell and holds up really fucking well.

This must be quoted one more time. I was on the phone with my dad and I was trying to contain my laughter but it instead came out as if I were crying. lol

It was a pretty good presentation. No hope for shaky cam footage, guys, I'm sorry. They had QuakeCon volunteers marching up and down the aisles every 30 seconds looking for people with cameras: almost no way you could get away with more than 20 seconds of captured footage, at least from where I was sitting.

It was a pretty good presentation. No hope for shaky cam footage, guys, I'm sorry. They had QuakeCon volunteers marching up and down the aisles every 30 seconds looking for people with cameras: almost no way you could get away with more than 20 seconds of captured footage, at least from where I was sitting.

Volunteering for this kind of policing is somewhat disgusting.

Read the subtext and my earlier posts dude. On your side!

Hehe sorry :)

On the other hand, QuakeCon needs volunteers for lots of good things, like making sure no one holds a hissy fit in the BYOC room. Not that I love what Bethesda/ZeniMax is doing with the restricted reveal, but I don't think the volunteers are to blame for anything.

jelly

Sounds good.

Hope idTech6 is a big leap. Last one was nice here and there with Rage but it feels like a painting rather than an interactive world and up close, yikes. Something more breathing and breakable with some good lighting.

It's just sad that they don't realise they're voluntary police serving to keep a corporate marketing strategy working.
You don't know that, lol.

Well, let's just wait and see. If this all turns for the worse, we'll always have the rest of classic-FPS revival to care for, not to mention everything new coming out of the Doom community.

The Cowboy

Volunteering for this kind of policing is somewhat disgusting.
I wouldn't go as far as disgusting, but it is indeed pretty crappy.

I really do not understand the secrecy around showing the footage to people who didn't attend, it just makes no bloomin sense to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They say this, then they demo it with a controller...
As someone else noted, most people played Doom with the keyboard back in the day. I know I did as did everyone else I know that was into it. I didn't take up mouse aiming until Quake. The mouse never worked well in standard Doom.

Serra

And why is demoing it on a controller a bad thing? Don't tell me PC master race?

Because mouse + keyboard is the superior control scheme for a FPS. There is a dramatic difference between a console shooter and pc fps.

Some examples (all first person shooters)
PC FPS: Quake, Counter-Strike
Console FPS: Halo, Killzone

Game speed/flow, degree of demanded accuracy, autoaim in console games, they are very different.

Now, personally I don't care that it was demoed with a controller, its just indicative that it will be console focused. And of course, it can still be a great game!

Jito

Banned
Because mouse + keyboard is the superior control scheme for a FPS. There is a dramatic difference between a console shooter and pc fps.

Game speed/flow, degree of demanded accuracy, autoaim in console games, they are very different.

Now, personally I don't care that it was demoed with a controller, its just indicative that it will be console focused. And of course, it can still be a great game!

That's not what I asked dude, I said "And why is demoing it on a controller a bad thing?"

I know the difference between a m/kb and controller, no need for such a patronising response. I don't see how demoing a game with a controller means it will be a bad game or console focused. You do realise every game has controller support now?

Volotaire

That's not what I asked dude, I said "And why is demoing it on a controller a bad thing?"

I know the difference between a m/kb and controller, no need for such a patronising response. I don't see how demoing a game with a controller means it will be a bad game or console focused. You do realise every game has controller support now?
I don't understand how that was a patronising response, it seems he/she misunderstood your question.

Jito

Banned
I don't understand how that was a patronising response, it seems he/she misunderstood your question.

That's pretty patronising man, telling me what a console and PC fps is and what the difference is? Really?

ender1986

Dangit, I'm just north of Dallas, I was thinking about going down last night. The presentation started at 6 though according to the schedule, I don't get off until 5, who knows how parking would have been.

Serra

I don't see how demoing a game with a controller means it will be a bad game or console focused.

You call my post patronizing yet you still don't understand why demoing with a controller is a sign of it being console focused. Do you really think that if the game demanded accuracy and fast view rotation (both of which are characteristic of pc shooters) they would have played with a controller?

And for the record, I did not say that it would be a bad game or that console shooters are bad.

You do realise every game has controller support now?

Of course and thats great.

You can play DOTA 2 with a controller, does not mean it is the most efficient way or designed around the limitations of a controller. Halo is the exact opposite. Designed with a controller in mind. Try Halo on PC with a mouse. The FOV feels claustrophobic and the inclusion of auto-aim actually makes getting headshots more difficult when sniping from close range. Yet those issues vanish when playing with a controller.

Jito

Banned
You call my post patronizing yet you still don't understand why demoing with a controller is a sign of it being console focused. Do you really think that if the game demanded accuracy and fast view rotation (both of which are characteristic of pc shooters) they would have played with a controller?

And for the record, I did not say that it would be a bad game or that console shooters are bad.

Of course and thats great.

You can play DOTA 2 with a controller, does not mean it is the most efficient way or designed around the limitations of a controller. Halo is the exact opposite. Designed with a controller in mind. Try Halo on PC with a mouse. The FOV feels claustrophobic and the inclusion of auto-aim actually makes getting headshots more difficult when sniping from close range. Yet those issues vanish when playing with a controller.

Honestly I think they demoed it with a controller because everything is demoed with a controller and it's much more practical than demoing a game on stage with a PC setup. Tell me, when did you last see a game demoed with m/kb?

It most likely has no bearing whatsoever on if the game is designed for PC or console, eg. Played through Wolfenstein TNO using both a controller and m/kb depending on where I was playing it, had no issues what so ever when playing with both. In fact there was no auto aim on controller, just like Rage before it which is another id Tech game and a good sign that Doom will be the same on consoles.

Again, really surprising the amount of people offended by seeing a controller demoing a PC game. Kinda forget about this fanboy shit cause I play games on everything.

Reese-015

Wulfen and Sikkmod.

Sikkmod adds a lot of new features, like soft shadows, ambient occlusion, colour graining, lens flares, HDR lighting, sun rays, depth of field, motion blur, parallax occlusion mapping and more. All are optional and highly customizable.

Wulfen is the high-res texture pack.

Hmm, was doubting to get the BFG edition... But now I'm thinking I should just get the old cheap vanilla Doom 3 release and add these mods.

mclem

If we were talking about a finished game, I might agree. But they're looking to present an incomplete game in a controlled fashion in a way that shows it off the best. Actually *watching* a good M/KB player when it's not you at the controls is actually kind of hard to follow, I find.

...which isn't really saying it *won't* be console-ised, as such - I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if it was. I just think that presenting it with a controller isn't really damning evidence to suggest that.

test_account

XP-39C²

Back in the days, i played Doom 1 and 2 with keyboard only (both games have mouse support). I also played the Gameboy Advance version of Doom 1 (or maybe it was 2) without any big problems. Doom never struck me as being a game where you have to be super quick and accurate. I didnt play that much of Doom 3 though, so i cant say much about that game.

Was Counter Strike: Global Offensive made with consoles in mind by the way? That game excist on both PC and consoles, and could technically be demoed with a controller if they wanted.

It's a shame that no one will (probably) be able to see any footage of the game before E3 next year but, if you want an idea of what id is putting together, go play the BFG edition of Doom 3 as well as Brutal Doom. Imagine the enemy design of Doom 3 BFG being faster paced, combined with the open level design and, well, brutality of Brutal Doom using idTech 5. Subtract the horror elements of Doom 3, add in a basic parkour movement and a first person God of War-esque melee finisher system and that's what the new Doom seems to be. It's pretty fucking cool.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I think you need to step back and recall that both Doom and Quake were low accuracy games (in SP). They both used heavy auto-aim. This was before the rise of the mouse and keyboard scheme, of course, but you can play both games with a mouse and keyboard today. What made them great was not pixel perfect mouse aiming. You can achieve what made them great using a game pad (particularly Doom).

Precise aiming is not the only thing that defines a PC style shooter. There's just no way in hell that this was ever going to be a PC only release so gamepad support is a must.

You can play DOTA 2 with a controller, does not mean it is the most efficient way or designed around the limitations of a controller.
For a multi-player game, precision matters. For a single player title, however, the situation is different.

spookyfish

It's a shame that no one will (probably) be able to see any footage of the game before E3 next year but, if you want an idea of what id is putting together, go play the BFG edition of Doom 3 as well as Brutal Doom. Imagine the enemy design of Doom 3 BFG being faster paced, combined with the open level design and, well, brutality of Brutal Doom using idTech 5. Subtract the horror elements of Doom 3, add in a basic parkour movement and a first person God of War-esque melee finisher system and that's what the new Doom seems to be. It's pretty fucking cool.

Thanks for impressions.

NIN90

Errr, everyone played it with the keyboard when it came out. You couldn't even look up/down. MKB came quite a bit later. Controller controls are much, much closer to original Doom controls than mkb.

This reasoning only makes sense if this game has the same copious amount of auto aim that the original Doom had. Not that I agree that demoing on a controller means something is up, but still.

NIN90

Played plenty of Wolfenstein, Titanfall and even Brutal Doom with a controller on PC, had no problems even though KB/M is still better. Try again?

Just because it works alright with a controller doesn't mean that the game wouldn't benefit from a complete MKB focus. That's quite an ignorant standpoint. Take Titanfall for example, supposedly a lightning fast FPS but in reality it's barely faster than CoD because it still needs to adhere to the same LT-RT control scheme. Dirty Bomb is a great example that would be impossible to play with a controller. The game is designed around super fast movement speed, no hipfire penalty and headshot multipliers.

I've never understood why KB+M is so worshipped when it's a control method that was never designed with gaming in mind. I'm not saying controller is better (for FPSs anyway) but there must be better alternatives out there.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I've never understood why KB+M is so worshipped when it's a control method that was never designed with gaming in mind. I'm not saying controller is better (for FPSs anyway) but there must be better alternatives out there.

computers weren't designed with gaming in mind either, that doesn't mean their not damn good at it.

2MF

Actually mouse was not so popular in early 90s. Most PC gamers played original Doom with keyboard only back in the days.

Yeah, even with Quake lots of people were playing keyboard only, at least for a while. Mouse look wasn't even enabled by default.

I was both mindblown and skeptical when I first tried mouse look on Quake, but eventually I switched (partly because of multiplayer where I was getting my ass kicked).

No leaks at all?

I have to see it for myself before I get excited. Impressions from journos don't do anything for me because of all the flowery language they tend to use.

Top Bottom