• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

This is an amazing PC game. There is a plethora of settings to tweak, and it preforms amazingly. The speed from the get go is incredibly fast!

e_i

Anyone have the Xbone version? How's it play? Do both PS4 and Xbox versions run at the same framerate/resolution?

Anyone have the Xbone version? How's it play? Do both PS4 and Xbox versions run at the same framerate/resolution?

I havent played the xbox one version yet (will have it tomorrow probably) but it might be similar to woflenstein new order on ps4 vs xbox one. different dynamic res probably.

Both are 60. I'm hearing there is some tearing in the XB1 version.
Not sure what res the XB1 version gets either. PS4 seems to be 900-1080 dynamic res.

This is one of the few FPS campaigns I dont want to play with a controller, it just feels so slow...

game is amazing

i recommend playing on ultra violence though since the others are a bit too easy

I don't know lol, hurt me plenty looks tough since my aim with KB/M is pretty damn rough.

Fantomas

Pre-ordered on PS4 just now. I'll probably get it for PC at some time later, but all my friends are getting it too so I figured I should probably get it on console first so I can play with them. Also I thought the controls were really good when I played the beta on PS4. I'm normally kind of awkward with a controller for FPS games, but I was getting just as many kills on console as I did on PC with kb/m. Can't wait til midnight so I can start blasting some demons back to hell.

robot

Just a heads up to those on the fence - today is the last day to preorder at Bestbuy for $10 bonus certificate. Gamers Club + $10 rewards cert comes to $38 before tax.

Use more lateral movements and strafing while making slight adjustments to aiming when needed. Most weapons are hip-fire with a few exceptions, depending on the mods you use.

The Flash

Banned
Just a heads up to those on the fence - today is the last day to preorder at Bestbuy for $10 bonus certificate. Gamers Club + $10 rewards cert comes to $40 before tax.

You don't get the $10 bonus at checkout. At least I didn't. I had $10 in reward credit that I used to get it to $40 anyways.

You don't get the $10 bonus at checkout. At least I didn't. I had $10 in reward credit that I used to get it to $40 anyways.

Certificate comes after like a week... But that's the reason why I'm considering picking it up. If it sucks I can get at least 30$ back selling it.

Player upgrades come in the form of sensors, damage taken etc

There's I think 12 suit upgrades?

And there seems to 2 upgrades per weapon.

2 Mods per weapon (with the exception of one that I know of. Super Shotgun has one mod), then a varying amount of upgrades per mod.

The final upgrade for each mod involves completing a challenge.
For instance, the regular shotgun requires that you get 20 direct hits on Imps in order to unlock the final upgrade.

The Flash

Banned
When you're dying in lava... :D

giphy.gif

I'm blown away. At the 3rd level or so and just having a blast. Graphics are fantastic and level design is really good so far. The levels remind me very much of Doom 2's in that they are just huge and full of secrets and hidden paths and nonlinear and linear in the same way Doom 2's were.

Whenever you guys get to the foundry, jump into the molten steel. Just do it.

Doom guy is very badass. He hasn't said a word, but the way he interacts and does things give you this, "fuck you, everything is gonna die" kinda vibe. If this keeps up, I'll be in heaven.

Secrets seem pretty well hidden so far. I haven't been able to find the paths to a few. Sorta like in Doom 2, where they'd let you see a secret and you'd have to find the way to get to it. Frustrating but awesome at the same time. I can already tell I'm gonna play through the campaign a few times.

On Ultra-Violence, the game is no joke. It's a lot like Doom 2 in that you have to prioritize specific enemies or you will take a ton of damage. The imps are awesome. They'll crawl up a wall, hop over shit, sometimes they hang back and shoot fireballs, sometimes they'll run at you and claw you. Hell Knight's attacks are really well done and fit the look of the demon very well. Enemies are randomly(?) scattered throughout the map so it's not like going from Arena to Arena, but they are usually pretty easy to take out so it's not like they are much of a challenge until the arenas really. Enemy encounters are really well animated.

I'm playing without the glory-kill highlights and it works really well. All enemies so far have a stagger animation that let you know that you can perform them, and to be honest, they are really bad ass. They are done super quick and don't really interrupt the action or pace as much as I thought they would when watching others play. The game is intense so far and feels like a worthy addition to the Doom universe.

Complaints I have:

The framerate is still not a solid 60@1440p w/ a 980Ti with most settings on medium and a few on high. It seems to hover between 55-65, a few odd drops too, like looking at some planters would drop it down to the 40's. It's mitigated some by Gsync, but performance could be better. Though, drivers haven't been released yet(as far as I know) and that could definitely help to have.

The pistol is garbage. Though not really any surprises there.

Some of the platforming isn't as good as I'd like, I'd say I miss a ledge-grab about a 1/6 of the time.

--------------------------------------------------

All-in-all, I'm really enjoying myself, it takes a lot of what I love about Doom 2 and Brutal Doom and mixes the two pretty together. The music definitely pumps you up. Were headphones if possible. You can hear the enemies when traversing the level just like in Doom 2.

The Super Shotgun is fucking awesome too. Just red-mists and gibs. So good.

With all that said, I'm out, I know we are gonna see people spoiling shit and I want to discover the secrets and easter eggs on my own if possible. Have fun everyone. Go to Hell.

Justinian

Biggest surprise for me so far is how expansive and well designed the levels are. It actually feels like Doom to a large degree which I wasn't really expecting. The way the exploration and progression wraps around on itself, how the different areas of the levels are visually distinct, how sight lines work to tie everything together.

The framerate is still not a solid 60@1440p w/ a 980Ti with most settings on medium and a few on high. It seems to hover between 55-65, a few odd drops too, like looking at some planters would drop it down to the 40's. It's mitigated some by Gsync, but performance could be better. Though, drivers haven't been released yet(as far as I know) and that could definitely help to have.

Ugh that is super unfortunate. Was hoping to run this at ultra with my 980ti.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Welp I'm going to be looking at the 30s on my monitor then. Fml

Funny how this went from not even on my radar to hyped. Looks a lot of fun

This is exactly what happened with Wolfenstein TNO as well. Everyone thought that game was going to suck because of the review embargo and it not reinventing the wheel but now it stands as the best FPS released yet this gen...until maybe now. Both TNO and hopefully Doom seem to know what they are, which are enjoyable shooters that don't take themselves seriously. In TNO's case it also had a decent little story. I'm hoping Doom does as well.

Justinian

That's weird... I'm getting a rock solid 60fps on my 980Ti with everything turned up to Ultra. Mind you I'm running at 1080p but it still sounds like you're getting subpar performance. What is your processor?

Top Bottom