• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Dominator

Just beat it on Ultra Violence, this game is fucking wicked. I tried UN mode and died after like 10 minutes lol

Last boss was a real cocksucker I'll say that much.

Raptomex

From what I understand it's because Nightmare and UN change things in the levels themselves, whereas I'm too young to die! through Ultra Violence are all exactly the same baring stat tweaks to you and the enemies.
Ooooh. Well that's interesting. Like more enemies? Does anyone know?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still working through Uncharted 4, which is also incredible, but I'm glad I decided to take a gamble on this. Turns out id still has it for sure.

Only a couple of hours into this, but it's just a blast to play. I didn't realize that I missed this kind of shooter, but I sure am enjoying myself! It looks amazing and runs extremely well on my machine, too (i7 6700k @ 4.5 ghz, 16GB DDR4 3000 RAM, GTX 970). Typically getting between 90 and 120 fps in any given scene so far. Just feels really good to play and the challenge is just right for me at one difficulty setting below Nightmare (hurt me plenty?).

Teknoman

Yeah, it definitely seems to be what they're implying, but I was wondering if anyone knew
if the stuff in the Doom Slayer scrolls lines up exactly with the previous games, since it seems intentionally vague at points and I haven't played through all of the old games.

Im definitely going to run through the older games after finishing this.

Slixshot

Banned
I don't know why, but I just realized how awesome the name "DOOM" is. Metal as fuck and it pairs well with that alt box art and the original.

Raptomex

There's a cheat to unlock Nightmare? I thought it was selectable from the start. That's what I heard here. I wish I would have tried before choosing UV. Nightmare was grayed out so I assumed I couldn't select it until I beat it on a lower difficulty.

Simo

Yeah, it definitely seems to be what they're implying, but I was wondering if anyone knew
if the stuff in the Doom Slayer scrolls lines up exactly with the previous games, since it seems intentionally vague at points and I haven't played through all of the old games.

I can't recall any of the PSX endings since it's been nearly 20 years or more since I played them but while I never played it, I thought Doom 64
ended with Doom Marine stopping everything and then sealing himself in Hell?

Drewfonse

After you finish a level through mission select, you get sent back to the menu. It shouldn't override your campaign progress / checkpoint.

You also spawn with every weapon and upgrade you left off in campaign. Which makes the earlier levels so much fucking easier! This is probably also the reason why I'm unable to increase the difficulty from Ultra Violence to Nightmare...

TL;DR: start a new game slot. :p

Well, damn. I was looking forward to going back and beating each level on the difficulty above mine with my leveled up guy. Damn, I say.

pa22word

There's a cheat to unlock Nightmare? I thought it was selectable from the start. That's what I heard here. I wish I would have tried before choosing UV. Nightmare was grayed out so I assumed I couldn't select it until I beat it on a lower difficulty.

On PC pretty sure you set this as a launch option in steam or on a shortcut:

"+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1"

No idea how to do it on consoles.

pa22word

So it was locked from the beginning? People here were telling me it's unlocked from the start.

I'm pretty sure it was? I didn't know about the launch options thing until after I had started the game, and I'm almost positive I couldn't select nightmare from the start.

Ferrio

Banned
Just beat the first(?) hell level.

I love the MC's portrayal by the demons. "Ya he fucked us up, we don't want him"

The Flash

Banned
Any suggestions as to where to do the "Meltdown" Challenge of 3 posessed w/ 1 explosive barrel?

beginning part of the area there is a door that needs to be opened with a red key card. there are three explosive barrels in front of it. Lure the surrounding Possessed near and boom.

YuShtink

I don't know why, but I just realized how awesome the name "DOOM" is. Metal as fuck and it pairs well with that alt box art and the original.

I've always loved this tidbit from Masters of Doom about the title of the game:

""All they needed was a title. Carmack had the idea. It was taken from The Color of Money, the 1986 Martin Scorsese film in which Tom Cruise played a brash young pool hustler. In one scene Cruise saunters into a billiards hall carrying his favorite pool cue in a stealth black case. “What you got in there?” another player asks.

Cruise smiles devilishly, because he knows what fate he is about to spring upon this player, just as, Carmack thought, id had once sprung upon Softdisk and as, with this next game, they might spring upon the world.

“In here?” Cruise replies, flipping open the case. “Doom.” "

dlauv

I watch Draqu all of the time. When the game was in Beta, he was making multiplayer look so fun. He's streaming right now, speedrunning DOOM on the easiest setting. He currently has the lowest time (just under 2 hours), but it could use a lot of optimization. You can gauss jump!

The Flash

Banned
I watch Draqu all of the time. When the game was in Beta, he was making multiplayer look so fun. He's streaming right now, speedrunning DOOM on the easiest setting. He currently has the lowest time (just under 2 hours), but it could use a lot of optimization. You can gauss jump!

I'll be shocked if this game isn't at AGDQ

pa22word

My hands literally shot up into the air when the final boss showed up, and I cheered "YEEEEEEEES!!!" so loud I scared the dog, haha!

I was wondering the entire game where that metallic son of a bitch was, because surely they wouldn't make a new Doom game and bring the entire cast back other than that asshole. Glad I was wrong ;-;

What's got me thinking is this: did anyone else notice that all the bosses had both drops /and/ rune boosts like normal enemies? Hard core as fuck DLC incoming with Cyberdemons and shit spawning in the middle of fights? I sure as hell hope so >:D!

Here is the image I'll be using for Steam.

doomcovert5s5t.png

I made another "cover" image for Steam users.

doomcover2qujf2.png

Trojan

CD Keys is selling Doom + all DLC for $39.99 right now...is this site shady? I'm thinking it is because that price seems bizarre within a week of release, but if others have used it I would like to know if this is a bad idea.

CD Keys is selling Doom + all DLC for $39.99 right now...is this site shady? I'm thinking it is because that price seems bizarre within a week of release, but if others have used it I would like to know if this is a bad idea.

Don't take my word for it, as I've never dealt with them, but after a quick search 9/10 people say it's legit.

Slixshot

Banned
I've always loved this tidbit from Masters of Doom about the title of the game:

""All they needed was a title. Carmack had the idea. It was taken from The Color of Money, the 1986 Martin Scorsese film in which Tom Cruise played a brash young pool hustler. In one scene Cruise saunters into a billiards hall carrying his favorite pool cue in a stealth black case. “What you got in there?” another player asks.

Cruise smiles devilishly, because he knows what fate he is about to spring upon this player, just as, Carmack thought, id had once sprung upon Softdisk and as, with this next game, they might spring upon the world.

“In here?” Cruise replies, flipping open the case. “Doom.” "

That's a great story :D thank you for sharing

imjust1n

Banned
Just beat it at like 9 and it was such a amazing game non stop action amazing soundtrack. The gameplay tho is so fluid and fast paced. Its work at least renting and playing it for a few days that's what I did I rented it. Thinking of buying it just because the multiplayer is kick ass.

shmoglish

Only halfway through but I am sure, this is the the third time in a row where my shooter of the year is coming from a bethesda studio.

DangerMan

Banned
Considering the season pass is $40... That's price is unreal.

Battlefront Season Pass is even more retarded expensive. Splatoon season pass is season pass done right

I don't think so?

I know a few people have mentioned finishing the game with way more upgrade points than they needed to upgrade everything.

How do people feel about this. Personally I'm not a fan of it being possible to have leftover points after maxing out everything, I'd almost rather it being impossible to be fully upgraded compared to being fully upgraded and no reason to try and get remaining upgrade points.

DangerMan

Banned
Yee, Splatoon's season pass is actually just content held back to keep the game updated for extended periods, but it was a lot of free post-launch content and it did keep me coming back to the game. Battlefront has no campaign and has a season pass which costs almost as much as the game itself (more at this point).

Mario Kart 8 had very well priced DLC and I really wish there was a DLC pack 3 and 4 for Mario Kart 8. I also wish it was easier to get into 200CC no items except coins online maches...

Holy hell, that
Cyberdemon
fight was amazing. I was like, wow this guy is easy NOPE NOPE NOPE THAT WASN'T EVEN HIS TRUE FORM. And then suddenly shit got real and I had no BFG charges so it was learn his pattern or be stuck there forever.

So as I died over and over again, I saw and learned his different phases and then I killed the bastard. Amazing FPS boss fight, would fight again. I probably am going to, aren't I?

Game just keeps getting better. I read that the middle Mars levels of the game are the weakest but I've only liked them more as more enemy types are introduced and the encounters get more nuts

Also didn't realize what the rune challenges were all about before, cleared several and have a pretty solid setup at the moment. Speed boost after glory kills and get more armor from glory kills

I love that some secrets are ridiculously well hidden while others are like there's 2 doors in front of you, go through the left *SECRET FOUND* haha

Love the chainsaw. My favorite thing is UH OH HERE COMES THE BARON *instantly chainsawed*

Top Bottom