• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Look even the two top teams at The International are trying to out early game deathball each other. Something is wonky in the game right now.

The Technomancer

Seriously though, how many combacks were there in the grand finals? There was like one, yeah, that famous game involving DK? Basically every game I actually saw was one team gaining an advantage in the first 15 minutes and using it to steamroll the opposition.

Eliciel

Congrats to Newbee, I guess in the end they just deserved this win. Fighting one of the hardest ways into the grand finals. Not dropping one single game after their near elimination. This is a real fighting story.

But.....

This TI4, to be brutally honest, this TI4 was nowhere near TI3 or even ESLone. Where was the emotion? Where were the close games? In the end Alliance vs. Na'Vi was one of the most ecstatic, thrilling "Bo5" you could have wished for @TI3. Maybe it was just next to impossible topping that so for me this TI was a major letdown or maybe TI4 has become to commercialized already to stay attractive, to stay fun to watch. TI3 I saw Ogre Mage pick + cosplay running up and down the stairs. Enigma pick + cosplay starting a black hole animation. Where was all of this @TI4?

I'm not a Na'Vi fanboy, not an Alliance fanboy, hell I'm not even from Ukraine or the USA. In the end this to me is just how I feel about this grand final, and to be quiet honest, about the tournament as a whole.

I missed the emotions in TI4 and somehow these missing emotions could be found at least a bit more@ teams like Na'Vi, even Na'Vi US showed us a hell of a show. Thinking of DK, Titan, Cloud9.... These were great great matchups, but ever since the "main event" started....I was just feeeling a major letdown as far as emotion, versatility, bravery is concerned. Bo5 and I'm looking @ 5x Furion, 5x Rasta...and so on. I mean seriously?

..just some thoughts.

warheat

found this topkek

NJXgIGS.jpg

Look even the two top teams at The International are trying to out early game deathball each other. Something is wonky in the game right now.

Seriously though, how many combacks were there in the grand finals? There was like one, yeah, that famous game involving DK? Basically every game I actually saw was one team gaining an advantage in the first 15 minutes and using it to steamroll the opposition.

It was actually only one team trying the same thing over and over again and failing 3 out of 4 times. Newbee didn't play "meta" DOTA, they just countered the push and had good rotations, which none of the other teams VG beat managed to do in a BO3. There were no comebacks because a bunch of teams played like total dogshit.

Vici's strategy is meant to punish greedy DOTA (like EG multi-core or "classic" Chinese ricing), and Newbee weren't greedy. Vici really demonstrated that they aren't a particularly varied team (or atleast can't adapt under pressure) and the teams they beat with the "deathball meta" were just poor at preparing for it.

The Technomancer

It was actually only one team trying the same thing over and over again and failing 3 out of 4 times. Newbee didn't play "meta" DOTA, they just countered the push and had good rotations, which none of the other teams VG beat managed to do in a BO3. There were no comebacks because a bunch of teams played like total dogshit.

Vici's strategy is meant to punish greedy DOTA (like EG multi-core or "classic" Chinese ricing), and Newbee weren't greedy. Vici really demonstrated that they aren't a particularly varied team (or atleast can't adapt under pressure) and the teams they beat with the "deathball meta" were just poor at preparing for it.

So how did they get this far? I mean are we just saying that the entire pro scene is playing poorly at the moment? Except for Newbee?

Eliciel

that was the worst finale of all time dota is dead

Seriously that's how I feel right now. This was soooo bad, I can't even think straight right now. What was rOtk (VG) even thinking while picking those heroes? Why NOT Doom, man? Why not? A Veno, last pick? Against Brew, Doom? Seriosly...I don't really get this

Razzer

The TI thread is going a bit fast for me. I enjoyed the first 3 games. The lengths some people are going tho, complaining about gg's and claiming it's rigged without joking, jeez.

FACE

Banned
The TI thread is going a bit fast for me. I enjoyed the first 3 games. The lengths some people are going tho, complaining about gg's and claiming it's rigged without joking, jeez.

Feels like very other post is a variation of "Chinese Dota is boring" and "Tourney was rigged"

My only complaint is that we didn't get a 100 minutes farm-fest, at least I had the WPC finals for that.

Wok

The twitch.tv was almost unwatchable due to stops and lags, and then I have found this:

Mind blown. You can watch twitch in high quality by following the installation procedure of VLC and livestreamer, adding a line in a text file, and typing in the command-line:
livestreamer twitch.tv/dota2ti best

Acinixys

TT1 Finals - Hype
TI2 Finals - Hype
TI3 Finals - Mega Hype

TI4 Finals - Worse than a pub game

Seriously dissapointed that it had to end like that. We had so many good games leading up to the finals

Singsing Meepo
LDGs comeback VS DK
The EG vs [A] games

I really feel like even Valve themselves are upset with this result. An LDG/DK/EG vs Newbee final would have been amazing but instead we got this snorefest

Congrats to Newbee, I guess in the end they just deserved this win. Fighting one of the hardest ways into the grand finals. Not dropping one single game after their near elimination. This is a real fighting story.

But.....

This TI4, to be brutally honest, this TI4 was nowhere near TI3 or even ESLone. Where was the emotion? Where were the close games? In the end Alliance vs. Na'Vi was one of the most ecstatic, thrilling "Bo5" you could have wished for @TI3. Maybe it was just next to impossible topping that so for me this TI was a major letdown or maybe TI4 has become to commercialized already to stay attractive, to stay fun to watch. TI3 I saw Ogre Mage pick + cosplay running up and down the stairs. Enigma pick + cosplay starting a black hole animation. Where was all of this @TI4?

I'm not a Na'Vi fanboy, not an Alliance fanboy, hell I'm not even from Ukraine or the USA. In the end this to me is just how I feel about this grand final, and to be quiet honest, about the tournament as a whole.

I missed the emotions in TI4 and somehow these missing emotions could be found at least a bit more@ teams like Na'Vi, even Na'Vi US showed us a hell of a show. Thinking of DK, Titan, Cloud9.... These were great great matchups, but ever since the "main event" started....I was just feeeling a major letdown as far as emotion, versatility, bravery is concerned. Bo5 and I'm looking @ 5x Furion, 5x Rasta...and so on. I mean seriously?

..just some thoughts.

it's gonna take a long time for another ti final to be that good. navi and alliance had barely played each other before ti3. alliance was crushing every team, while navi had to make their comeback from the loser bracket. they were both european teams. alliance played the same heroes/strategy and people lost to them because they couldn't outplay them, while navi was the opposite -- you had no idea what they were gonna pick and then they pick something like a pudge + chen to beat tong fu, which was arguably better than them. everything leading up to that game was special. even if it was newbee vs eg, this final still wouldn't have come even close. and that's assuming eg would put up a fight instead of just getting crushed

besides, there's been very few bo5 as close as that ti3 final

Eliciel

Comparing Newbee vs. VG to Na'Vi vs. Alliance grand final. How would you rate those two on a scale from 1-5?

For me:
TI3: 5
TI4: 2

I mean do you even remember the last moments of TI3? Loda with the PL? For me this kind of emotion wasn't there this year. The crowd, hell even me..everyone was getting crazy at those final moments.

Dude before I even keep talking let's just stop this... look at it yourself.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA75QnXxATE

"They're doing it, Alliance is doing it. Alliance are doing it. There is soooo much stuff. No glyph available. They want the throne, they're gonna do it"
Sometimes I think of those words and I get freaking goosebumps dude.

it's gonna take a long time for another ti final to be that good. navi and alliance had barely played each other before ti3. alliance was crushing every team, while navi had to make their comeback from the loser bracket. they were both european teams. alliance played the same heroes/strategy and people lost to them because they couldn't outplay them, while navi was the opposite -- you had no idea what they were gonna pick and then they pick something like a pudge + chen to beat tong fu, which was arguably better than them. everything leading up to that game was special. even if it was newbee vs eg, this final still wouldn't have come even close. and that's assuming eg would put up a fight instead of just getting crushed

besides, there's been very few bo5 as close as that ti3 final

I agree 100%, but I just realized just that and that's why I'm disappointed. But sure you win sir. Perfect description.

Razzer

In any case, I'd like to say that rotk clock and Mu Puck were super hype. In fact I wanted to see VG try Clock again, but alas.

Btw, about the comeback thing, I think it might also be partially due to the increased skill level this year. You can't deny that the level of play from every team is above what we had last year, and that means less mistakes. Less mistakes means less throws, means less comebacks. I mean, the reason Game 5 was so exciting last year is Navi threw away a huge lead with a rookie error. If they had been playing like Newbee did here, Alliance would never have come back.

So how did they get this far? I mean are we just saying that the entire pro scene is playing poorly at the moment? Except for Newbee?

C9, EG, and DK all played pretty badly vs VG in the games that mattered, even though Vici made no attempt to hide their strategy or alter it since the group stages. I don't see where the "deathball meta" comes from since Vici was the only team that used it consistently, and the only things Vici relied on that were "mainstream" were razor and NP, but I don't think they play them quite like the other teams do.

One team gets to the finals with a strategy that a bunch of teams weren't prepared for, and somehow it's the meta's fault.

BraXzy

That was disappointing to watch. All my friends on steam chat started playing a game because they were bored of the finals :(

Nymerio

Feels like very other post is a variation of "Chinese Dota is boring" and "Tourney was rigged"

My only complaint is that we didn't get a 100 minutes farm-fest, at least I had the WPC finals for that.

As fun as these ultra aggressive games are to watch, they snowball incredibly fast. When teams play this good and manage to exploit every little advantage, it becomes one-sided really fast after one team makes a mistake. There's wasn't really a lot of back and forth either, because if you lose one or two fights you are already on a disadvantage and if you then try to force something to happen it's a recipe for disaster.

FACE

Banned
As fun as these ultra aggressive games are to watch, they snowball incredibly fast. When teams play this good and manage to exploit every little advantage, it becomes one-sided really fast after one team makes a mistake. There's wasn't really a lot of back and forth either, because if you lose one or two fights you are already on a disadvantage and if you then try to force something to happen it's a recipe for disaster.

I actually legitimately like some of those farm-fests, late-game Dota is incredibly tense.

K.Sabot

lol that asshat from 4chan is gonna ruin this TI for a long time.

Director 8 is the best, Euro dota on notice, meta in shambles.

manfestival

for me, even though I hate on and truly dislike Clown 9. I want to give props to bone7 for almost singlehandedly making me want to play clockwerk. His clockwerk was fantastic. Universe continues to be a player which i watch closely. Still sad that Alliance couldnt overcome the nonsense to be in this.

Razzer

Has there been any talk of another Columbus this year? That was a blast.

Well Columbus was in January wasn't it? So we probably won't hear about that for at least a couple of months.

Edit: As everyone else is in the other thread, I think it's a good time to ask, why do you hate C9 so much MF? Like, I have no problem but I'm just curious as to the reason as they don't appear to have done much that is unlikable.

Mohasus

I think if anyone is to blame for these finals, it is the crowd.

C9 would have won agaisnt LGD and lost to DK. Then, DK or EG would go to GF and we would have proper finals.

"Oh hey we gonna make sure no team can play risky and then complain when they play safe". Good job, it worked.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
For everybody that is all like "people say they don't want traditional, long-ass, Chinese Dota games now they say they don't want fast games" the difference is, most of those long-ass Chinese Dota games feature one team getting a nearly insurmountable early lead and then not pressing their advantage and just ending it when they can, instead backing off to farm and six slot their cores before finally pushing into the base because it's "safe."

There's a huge difference between traditional, drawn out, Chinese Dota Vs. a rat game, where a rat game is unsure until the very end. Rat Dota games more often than not end with the team that does NOT have a clear advantage early/mid game coming out on top. Traditional, long-ass Chinese Dota is one team dominating kills and economy for 60+ minutes and then deciding it's time to finally win. Not saying traditional, long-ass, Chinese Dota games would have been more exciting than what we got, but rat Dota definitely would have been.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah although I'm sure this event was a massive financial success for Valve I have to imagine they look at is and are disappointed in a few other ways.

Top Bottom