• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Bad7667

In the course of two weeks I've gone from 2600 to 2000 in solo MMR. I lost 6/6 games today. It's just brutal. I don't know what to do at this point as it feels like just horrible luck in terms of team make-up. Is there anything I can do to improve this? After 2500 or so it feels like it's just a constant downward slope of being matched with increasingly worse players so there's no climbing out. What sucks is I started around 3000 at one point.

Can you explain what exactly the problem was for those losses?

Like no support, no carries, carries that cant farm etc.

Also post your dotabuff.

Sibylus

Banned
It must make him so mad that he's playing other music that he worked hard on and have some drunken cunt just yell sandstorm at him the whole set.
I dunno, I think it's kinda secretly brilliant how many allusions to it he's tucked into this and juked out of at the last second. Sounds like he's enjoying it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can you explain what exactly the problem was for those losses?

Like no support, no carries, carries that cant farm etc.

Also post your dotabuff.
You don't loss 800 mmr on the back of your team, you loss it because you fucked up a ton, like keep pounding games despite being on full tilt.

Spookie

You don't loss 800 mmr on the back of your team, you loss it because you fucked up a ton, like keep pounding games despite being on full tilt.

This post is about as rediculous as those blaming the rest of their team for the loss. While accepting no responsibility for the result.

Aselith

I know the plan, guys! This dude is going to cocktease until 4am and then boom Sandstorm drops and suddenly....

A WILD TECHIES APPEARS

Syrup-Will-Soon-Have-its-Revenge.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
In the course of two weeks I've gone from 2600 to 2000 in solo MMR. I lost 6/6 games today. It's just brutal. I don't know what to do at this point as it feels like just horrible luck in terms of team make-up. Is there anything I can do to improve this? After 2500 or so it feels like it's just a constant downward slope of being matched with increasingly worse players so there's no climbing out. What sucks is I started around 3000 at one point.

MMR is just the dumbest fucking thing. Unless you only ever 5-man it's never going to be an accurate representation. Just stop worrying about it. It's better when it's all hidden, IMO. Let things like tournament results speak for skill.

Play unranked, every mode except AP. Or make lots of friends so you can five man and never play without a full team again.

Madouu

MMR is just the dumbest fucking thing. Unless you only ever 5-man it's never going to be an accurate representation. Just stop worrying about it. It's better when it's all hidden, IMO. Let things like tournament results speak for skill.

Play unranked, every mode except AP. Or make lots of friends so you can five man and never play without a full team again.

My winrates are 63%, 53% and 52% in the normal, high and very high brackets respectively and I am still gradually rising in mmr playing mainly support and offlane. If I am queuing with people in lower brackets, I clearly notice the difference. Although it is not perfect, It seems to me that the system works pretty well after you play enough games. The truth is that if you have played a lot of games and took them seriously, your mmr is probably where you belong.

I agree with not stressing too much about it though, it is a game after all.

sephi22

Ayesee's a trooper. His casting is hit or miss but he was meeting and greeting the attendees all the time. It seemed like he had camped at the east exit the entire weekend. He even photobombed my friend's pic with Godz.

The workshop guys were very friendly too. Much love goes out to Bounch and co., Don don, Motenai, Manny and T Vidotto. Unfortunately I missed Anuxi.

Also CIS Black spent the most time meeting attendees aa far as I can tell when it comes to pro players.

ZeroX03

Banned
stop blaming the MMR system for you being bad at the game.

edit: the isn't directed at anyone specifically.

My problem with MMR stems more from the player even knowing what it is, and the impact it has on them - and arguments that break out over it - rather than the system itself. People trying to quantify how good they are with a single number in a game with so many different variables is impossible. It should just be a unseen number for matchmaking balancing and that's it (ala public).

Anyone know when more heroes (phoenix, terror etc) are finally being added to captain's mode?

Has there been any announcement for when techies is due yet?

Danielsan

So, after all the TI4 hubbub, as well as seeing the downfall of Brad from Giant Bomb after bringing this game in his life, I figured it would finally be time for me to check this game out. I played some of the tutorials, read some beginners guides and watched a match of Giant Bomb’s daily DOTA (where they got slaughtered). I also played my first match with/against humans last night (which we lost after 50 minutes…).
I feel that I now have a very very basic understanding of how to play this game. But it still continues to be such a daunting thing. Especially aspects such as which item to buy/upgrade, which hero to play, when to attack or defend all still somewhat allude me. Same goes for the use of runes and placements of wards. I know There’s pretty much hundreds of guides for every aspect of this game. But I feel that the best way to learn is by simply doing/playing.

So I was wondering if there is some kind of newbie friendly DOTA2 steam group. I have a full time job, a girlfriend, a busy social life as well as other hobbies and games I want to play. So I don’t exactly have hours and hours per week to invest. But I’d like to learn how to play, get better over time and get a couple of matches in each week.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

When MMR was first introduced, only a portion of players were on MMR games. Hence MMR value was naturally high after you finished the first set of games (calibration)*

But as more people keep playing dota, the MMR layers keep shifting.

(when I mean MMR, I mean Solo MMR..)

.first there is this high level MMR games after high population
..good (new players) players with lower MMR values after calibration* start climb the real MMR slope
...where every player with above 3000MMR is matched with good players (so the opposition is good too)
....you are expected to play on their levels

.second there is this low level MMR games, its due to high population too
..but the reason being that the number of players in the game is increasing and some of them get calibrated to high MMR values initially and start climbing down

You must have been caught up between those players who similarly got high initial MMR values like you and climbing down while the other layer is shifting up.

Edit
MMR shouldn't be +25 for wins -25 for lose.
It should be more what is the role you are playing and how well you do.

I don't remember my initial MMR, but I climbed to the current 36xx+ SOLO MMR by playing the same hero most of the games (around 90% of them). That convinced me that the MMR can be abused, so I stopped playing it.

Normal PUB games or Ability draft is the way to enjoy the game now*

Zoon

MMR shouldn't be +25 for wins -25 for lose.
It should be more what is the role you are playing and how well you do.It could a final score based on your performance like the warcraft 3 had but a bit different.For example, final score = how many seconds you stunned/slowed enemy heroes x variable + Hero heal x variable + last hits x variable + hero damage +points for items+ etc. - deaths x variable.Variables should differ for every role.
But there is one problem here.How would the game know what role you are playing? or sometimes carries are played as supports and vice versa,other times supports transition to carries.An answer to that could be the game asking you(or a random teammate) after it has finished what role best described your playstyle.Then the MMR pool of 125 points could be distributed better to those who played better.
Those who play will rewarded, those who don't won't.
tl;dr MMR system sucks

kiyomi

So, after all the TI4 hubbub, as well as seeing the downfall of Brad from Giant Bomb after bringing this game in his life, I figured it would finally be time for me to check this game out. I played some of the tutorials, read some beginners guides and watched a match of Giant Bomb’s daily DOTA (where they got slaughtered). I also played my first match with/against humans last night (which we lost after 50 minutes…).
I feel that I now have a very very basic understanding of how to play this game. But it still continues to be such a daunting thing. Especially aspects such as which item to buy/upgrade, which hero to play, when to attack or defend all still somewhat allude me. Same goes for the use of runes and placements of wards. I know There’s pretty much hundreds of guides for every aspect of this game. But I feel that the best way to learn is by simply doing/playing.

So I was wondering if there is some kind of newbie friendly DOTA2 steam group. I have a full time job, a girlfriend, a busy social life as well as other hobbies and games I want to play. So I don’t exactly have hours and hours per week to invest. But I’d like to learn how to play, get better over time and get a couple of matches in each week.

Exactly the same boat as you - only I have a bit more free time by the sounds of it! I know the basics but the momentum of the game is lost on me right now, I just don't have a feel for it yet, but I *love* the game. It was the Daily DOTA that got me hooked.

I'd be all up for some newbie-team DOTA action, what timezone are you in? Maybe we can fit in a few matches here and there and learn a little together.

Kreunt

Banned
If you're better than the other people in your MMR, you're going to win more games and your MMR is going to go up, its that simple.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
TI over, time to cry about how the game is rigged because it's easier than accepting your own skill at the game.

Danielsan

Exactly the same boat as you - only I have a bit more free time by the sounds of it! I know the basics but the momentum of the game is lost on me right now, I just don't have a feel for it yet, but I *love* the game. It was the Daily DOTA that got me hooked.

I'd be all up for some newbie-team DOTA action, what timezone are you in? Maybe we can fit in a few matches here and there and learn a little together.
I'd be totally up for that. I'm in Central Europe (The Netherlands), so as far as time zones are concerned we should be good! Feel free to add me on Steam (see GAF profile). Maybe we can team up some time this week. :)

I started playing Dota roughly a month ago, and since then I have added a bunch of fellow newcomers from giant bomb and neogaf. Friendly folks, everybody's learning, nobody gets shouted at. Feel free to add me on steam, my steam account is Print Screen (the one with the actual print screen button as an avatar).

Whenever you feel like a match, just message me when I'm in dota and I can usually get some nice (or at the very least, silent) people together, and I'd be happy to help with any dota questions. If not, just ask around in the in-game giant bomb or neogaf chat channels, there are often people looking for a match over there.

Any kind of rating system based on in game variables is never going to work. For one thing how can they come up with a system that doesn't encourage players to be as greedy as possible to boost their personal score? You can pick Furion and use ulti off cd and boost both your hero damage and cs but it won't necessarily help your team.

There's lots of stuff score can't capture as well. Like personally I lose a lot close games where I play carry because of stuff like bad team-fight awareness, focusing the wrong people, using bkb at the wrong time, making bad buyback decisions and so on. But that doesn't really show in you scores, you can have good farm, good KDA and damage output and still be the main reason your team lost.

Madouu

Can vouch for A Sentient Keyboard, he's a friendly fellow, you will be in safe hands with him. If anybody of you guys got any questions about the game, I am often available in game too.

Danielsan

I started playing Dota roughly a month ago, and since then I have added a bunch of fellow newcomers from giant bomb and neogaf. Friendly folks, everybody's learning, nobody gets shouted at. Feel free to add me on steam, my steam account is Print Screen (the one with the actual print screen button as an avatar).

Whenever you feel like a match, just message me when I'm in dota and I can usually get some nice (or at the very least, silent) people together, and I'd be happy to help with any dota questions. If not, just ask around in the in-game giant bomb or neogaf chat channels, there are often people looking for a match over there.
Great, I just added you on steam! It's also pretty convenient that you are from The Netherlands. :)

Raytow

Oh yes more yuropeans gaffers, added, hope you aren't a mmr snob, as mine is in the pits literally.

MisterM

I've sent you a friend request. I've played through the tutorial and played two matches online, I used to play a bunch of LoL years ago but would like to get into DOTA.

I live in the UK (hurrah, EuroGAF!) and try to get on two/three times a week from 8pm GMT.

Zoon

Wait, does vanguard block and other type of dmg except physical? I didn't think so but according to item description:passive: Damage Block - Gives a chance to block damage, depending on the type of hero you are.

While on the other hand poor man's shield is clear about it: Passive: Damage Block - Blocks physical attack damage, depending on the type of hero you are.

kiyomi

Great, I just added you on steam! It's also pretty convenient that you are from The Netherlands. :)

I've sent you a friend request. I've played through the tutorial and played two matches online, I used to play a bunch of LoL years ago but would like to get into DOTA.

I live in the UK (hurrah, EuroGAF!) and try to get on two/three times a week from 8pm GMT.
Added all three of you. :)

Falk

that puzzling face
http://imgur.com/a/nknTz

This is a pretty cool album of selfies of a Redditor with cosplayers. Click on the picture to see more.

Abaddon is great if you know how to play it aggressively.
holy shit lol

Ayesee's a trooper. His casting is hit or miss but he was meeting and greeting the attendees all the time. It seemed like he had camped at the east exit the entire weekend. He even photobombed my friend's pic with Godz.

Ayesee has, by every single account outside of a game, portrayed himself as a really cool guy. That doesn't mean I'm going to remotely like his casting though. Just... no. It's not good for the spectators, and it's not good for the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well that was a fucking weird dream. I dreamed that a bunch of friends and I were eating mozzarella sticks with marinara, but whenever one of the containers of marinara heated up the rest did as well, in a positive feedback way so that as soon as someone's marinara heated up for some reason suddenly six people exploded from the sudden intense heat, just like Sand King's passive

Seriously, I thought that in the dream "oh shit its like Sand King!"

You went from 3000 to 2000? Damn, dude that's 40 more losses than wins. Sounds brutal and if we're honest, the common denominator in all those 40 losses is you. I suppose you overcalibrated by quite a bit because you happened to play out of your mind in those 10 matches or something. A legit 3k players should roflstomp <2500 MMR with any core hero.

I feel 500 MMR make a pretty significant difference. Just pick heroes that are somewhat self-sufficient and can carry games regardless of how well your team mates are doing. Terrorblade, Void and Slark should own that bracket.

edit: Also, I'm probably in the minority but I feel the MMR is an eerily accurate metric. If you are better than your bracket, you'll reliably win more than you'll lose in the long run. No way around it.

Arkanius

Guys lesson learned, I'm never gambling to get a set I want ever again despite it being high price. I ended up paying WAY MORE (I had to get every set before I got Dragons Ascension it was like Valve was laughing at me)

Should I sell the other sets or keep them for a later date? Of the rest I only play Crystal Maiden and Shadow Shaman. Clockwerk, and Ember Spirit do nothing for me.

Guys lesson learned, I'm never gambling to get a set I want ever again despite it being high price. I ended up paying WAY MORE (I had to get every set before I got Dragons Ascension it was like Valve was laughing at me)

Should I sell the other sets or keep them for a later date? Of the rest I only play Crystal Maiden and Shadow Shaman. Clockwerk, and Ember Spirit do nothing for me.
Same lesson for me. Only buy chests when you have some disposanle income. If you want a particular set, just get it from the market.

Is dragon's ascension still like 8 usd in the market?

Syn23

I have much better games solo queuing in non ranked than in ranked.
Less abandons, less raging people, less impoliteness/trolling, less "WTF you're so noob".
I believe my hidden MMR is quite higher then my ranked MMR.

After watching TI I feel it's time to change something in the general game balance, similarly to last year.

Random 6.82 general tweaks speculations:
Nerf push - Modify how fortification works? Modify backdoor protection/creeps aggro? Decrease TP cost/casting time/casting time delay (make them grow linearly with the game duration, till they reach a fixed duration after 30 minutes)?

Nerf level 1 roaming supports - Decrease all heroes base movement speed. Increase brown boots cost (650G?) and movement speed bonus.

Thoughts? Dumb speculations? Would they ruin the game?

Arkanius

Same lesson for me. Only buy chests when you have some disposanle income. If you want a particular set, just get it from the market.

Is dragon's ascension still like 8 usd in the market?

Yes
I had 10 to spend.
I ended up buying more funds then to get the god damned set.

Top Bottom