• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure ("Broken Age") Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
I think a lot of the disappointed people need to remember this possibility was even noted in the pitch. The whole point was that they'd be completely honest and allow you to see a development process. In that initial pitch video Tim tells you it may all go horribly wrong and not work.

You backed with full knowledge of the project not even bring completed - a delay and alternate revenue sourcing is better than the worst case possibility you were open to when you handed over cash.

You were funding development and a documentary of the development. A game at the end is a possible reward.

For me, more development time means more documentaries, so I'm happy. Looks like the game at the end will likely be finished, too, so that'll be fun to play after.

blanky

I'm still happy with backing. Documentary is worth all the money and the game looks beautiful. Like others have said, the way this project started and grew meant that something like this was possible. I hope they'll get the money necessary to make this game as they're envisioning it now.

zkylon

zkylewd
the only thing that sucks about it is having to go from january to april while restraining myself to play this thing

do whatever you need to get the game out, games like dfa need support, even if they mess up the scope, schedules, etc.

shit happens, I appreciate honesty, and I can't wait for a new game by tim

hym

Banned
As a $100 backer, there is some disappointment but everything I got out of it so far has exceeded my expectations.

Maybe they effectively made me fall in love with Double Fine, I can't stay angry at them for long.

Corto

That feeling on the back of his mind that Tim must have got when the car guy called to tell him the Barracuda repair was going to cost double what he thought, and he needed to be paid in full with money on his hands, is more or less how I feel right now. I know that when I get my hands on our "Barracuda" and get it for a spin all will be forgotten, but right now...

About the game itself, it looks gorgeous, the light, the art, the animation, the pages and pages of the dialogue system, everything seems to hint to a great game on the end of all this journey. I just hope they are not overestimating what they'll get from the Steam Early Access of Act I. Please don't fall into that mistake.

And Chris, concerning Massive Chalice. I understand the genre is different, and with more "weight" on game mechanical systems than on art and visuals, but please don't let it slip like this.

Everything went wrong when Tim decided to shave his beard! That was the turning point!

TiT2vMy.png

Roubjon

Yeah I absolutely loved it. I especially enjoyed the stuff they showed at the end. I love hearing and seeing production in that field.

jett

D-Member
Excellent ep, game is shaping up super nicely. Reminded me how some non-backers acted like collective bunch of ignorant dickheads. :p

inm8num2

It's been amusing watching people go from very high highs to very low lows on their responses to some news out of the development, to say the least.

Cartman86

Banned
Really wish everyone could just watch these videos. They are sooo fucking good and gives a really important perspective. Obviously if the game ends up being shit it's shit, but right now with the the way non-backers react to some pieces of news these things would really help.

duckroll

Wow. Episode 11 was really something. I couldn't get it to play earlier from the Kickstarter page, but it worked in the DFA Forum thread. Fantastic episode. I think the game looks like it's coming together really well at this point, where the content and themes start to make sense together and it's at a stage where it looks like it might actually make the Jan deadline. There was a lot of great insight into the development process and audio as well, which was great. It's pretty amazing to see Tim working with all these people again on an actual traditional adventure game. ;_;

megalowho

This really was an excellent and insightful episode. Highs, lows, compromises, progress. Loved the looks at composition and voice casting, even just a hint of sound design goes a long way towards tying all the pieces together.

Roubjon

I basically grew up playing the games Peter McConnell composed for, so actually seeing him talk in a documentary settting was so freaking cool.

jett

D-Member
There is no way 'Part 2' will be done in April

Yeah I'm not expecting them to make that date either. I wonder what kind of expectations they have for early access sales though. Does anybody have a clue how much those games sell?

duckroll

Yeah I'm not expecting them to make that date either. I wonder what kind of expectations they have for early access sales though. Does anybody have a clue how much those games sell?

Telltale games seem to sell well enough to keep the company going. I'll be pretty surprised if this can't do much better than the average Telltale game, given all the publicity. If the game is actually good, the word of mouth should help ongoing sales a lot too.

Haunted

Great episode yet again.

The insight these provide is pretty unparalleled, super interesting to hear them talk about the backlash on GAF and other websites. Despite their reassurances, I'm really hoping the backlash doesn't lead them to go for less transparency in the future.

super interesting to hear them talk about the backlash on GAF and other websites. Despite their reassurances, I'm really hoping the backlash doesn't lead them to go for less transparency in the future.

They seem like they are in a weird area where they want to talk about it, but are trapped between internal company shit and transparency to the backers.

Hermii

I payed 15$ (I think) and I so far got 11 docu episodes and lots of awesome content on the backer forum. As far as Im concerned if the game never releases I still gotten a lot for my money.

adixon

I payed 15$ (I think) and I so far got 11 docu episodes and lots of awesome content on the backer forum. As far as Im concerned if the game never releases I still gotten a lot for my money.

It's pretty obvious at this point that 90% of the people freaking out over the broken age delay are people who didn't back and were anti-kickstarter in the first place, for whatever reason.

I totally agree, personally I would have paid 50 bucks for the documentary alone, and still felt really lucky that such a thing exists. Sorta feels like I'm getting everything for free at this point.

There is the angle of them needing to do well to "prove" the big budget kickstarter model though, so I do understand pressure from people who don't want them to release a sub-par game, or become a joke from delays (and I don't want that either).

Lunzio

That video has gotten me very excited :) Learned some new things about the project even after following it so very closely!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The composer is one cool motherfucker. It's great that they let us see him work a little bit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finally caught up with the documentary episodes. Still a couple of extra videos to go through and some other backer content to check, but all I watched is truly fascinating and enlightening material. I'm one of the "original backers" and honestly, following the creation/production process like this is already so rewarding that while watching I sometimes had to remind myself I'll eventually have the full game without paying anything more. Very cool to be a part of this, I'm glad this project was envisioned with the documentary in mind from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom