• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure ("Broken Age") Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

dat sneak peek!

HYpFZCP.gif

Probably one of the best episodes yet. At this point I feel like I've gotten my money's worth with the documentary alone, and I'm tempted to buy another copy of the game when it releases to help this guys out. Everything is starting to come together nicely.

Kerned

Banned
Probably one of the best episodes yet. At this point I feel like I've gotten my money's worth with the documentary alone, and I'm tempted to buy another copy of the game when it releases to help this guys out. Everything is starting to come together nicely.

I feel the same way, these videos have been fantastic. I can't wait for the Massive Chalice one's to finally start rolling out.

Card Boy

Banned
So how do i login into the Double Fine backer forum? I paid the $30 during the Kickstarter. I got no account btw.

edit: think i found it

edit: do i have to wait a day to be authorized as a backer?

Ceebs

So how do i login into the Double Fine backer forum? I paid the $30 during the Kickstarter. I got no account btw.

edit: think i found it

edit: do i have to wait a day to be authorized as a backer?

I think they have to manually approve them, so it may be a day or two, or you can PM Remo on GAF and see if he can hook you up.

I think they have to manually approve them, so it may be a day or two, or you can PM Remo on GAF and see if he can hook you up.

Backer access is actually approved automatically; we know (well, we assume) that someone who gave us money isn't a spammer. It can sometimes take up to an hour just depending on how frequently our backer system runs its verification. If it doesn't work within a couple hours, 99% of the time it's because the registrant signed up with an email that doesn't match the email address they used to back the game, so the system has no way to recognize them.

Ogni-XR21

Some of the best money I ever spent backing this project. Worth every penny up until now and if the final game lives up to what we have seen so far this will be one of my favorite games of 2014.

neos

You just stole my words.
Very entartaining episode, and the game looks straight beautiful, i would never have tought it would turn out so good when i backed this.
What i really liked most until now is the audio part, from the episodes to the game itself, everything i've got to her was just straight up a pleasure to listen, i have great expectations.

Feep

Banned
Got to play the game for about fifteen minutes tonight in downtown Los Angeles.

It's not a game that really lends itself for "Hey, come on down, check out our game!", but it was super solid. Most of the final VO was in there, and it sounded fantastic; the art and animations were stellar. I was unable to progress very far, but I was enjoying going through the dialogue trees and just seeing characters interact.

Been a weird journey, but the final product is gonna be just what we wanted, I think. = D

Diamond

Got to play the game for about fifteen minutes tonight in downtown Los Angeles.

It's not a game that really lends itself for "Hey, come on down, check out our game!", but it was super solid. Most of the final VO was in there, and it sounded fantastic; the art and animations were stellar. I was unable to progress very far, but I was enjoying going through the dialogue trees and just seeing characters interact.

Been a weird journey, but the final product is gonna be just what we wanted, I think. = D

Thanks for the feedback, that sounds promising !

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, the more I see and hear of the game the more I'm looking forward to it. Hope that the documentary films haven't spoiled too much because they're so entertaining to watch that I don't want to avoid them, haha. It's been fascinating getting an insight into the game, the company and the people that work there. The game looks fantastic. I hope this proves to be successful for DF, despite all the hurdles along the way.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's really amazing how it went for looking totally cardboard to totally gorgeous so suddenly (at least for people looking at it from the outside)

goes to show the vision they had for the game was fantastic all along

Kerned

Banned
Wow, that's some very interesting casting news that I'm not going to talk about because they asked very nicely that we don't. Until tomorrow.

adg1034

Now that's out in public, do you reckon this means the secret casting reveal tomorrow is for the boy character?

That's the most obvious missing announcement, but they could always announce yet another (wonderful, mind you) wacky celebrity-voiced NPC.

inm8num2

$15 for this game and the documentary is looking like straight up thievery

Seriously.

The documentary has been quite enjoyable for me. I find it to be honest and straightforward. It's shaped up to be a fascinating look at a game development cycle.

Can't fucking wait. Hard to believe we'll soon be playing another Schaefer adventure game. The genre needs this.

The documentary has been compelling to say the least.

Slowly catching up with the documentary, was 2-3 episodes behind. Crazy to see the backlash the announcement got on the early access stuff. I never understood why people were so upset; Double Fine obviously made some mistakes with scope, but the game was going to be bigger for it, and more in line with what I, and I'm guessing others, hoped for from the project.

I mean, what I'm seeing now is far beyond what I ever expected when I backed in those first few hours. I'm thrilled with how it's taking shape.

Did they set the date or it was just "January"? and when was the 2nd part supposed to launch? March?

No specific date yet, but yeah it'll be out January, with backers getting access before it's generally available to the public. We're still working out timing/logistics/etc. with Valve; I'm sure there will be a real date to share before too long. No specific date for the second part either, but it'll be a few months later.

zkylon

zkylewd
Slowly catching up with the documentary, was 2-3 episodes behind. Crazy to see the backlash the announcement got on the early access stuff. I never understood why people were so upset; Double Fine obviously made some mistakes with scope, but the game was going to be bigger for it, and more in line with what I, and I'm guessing others, hoped for from the project.

I mean, what I'm seeing now is far beyond what I ever expected when I backed in those first few hours. I'm thrilled with how it's taking shape.
I think the biggest problem was how df communicated the whole deal.

if they'd just said "we're releasing the game on early access" and that was it then it would've been a lot smoother. I think they kinda messed up and tried to overexplain how it was cut in half for a first part and then sell that part first and whatnot while really there's not much to it than going on early access.

most backers I feel should've been eased right away with that, and I feel like most people with the pitchforks are kickstarter haters that didn't back this but for some reason feel entitled to whine about it.

I backed dfa knowing perfectly fine that it could've crashed and burned and I'm glad it didn't and I'm super glad it led to the kickstarter movement as a whole, which is pretty much one of the most inspiring things about the videogame industry in like ten years. that we got a kickass documentary is just the cherry on top, anyone that complains about dfa is just insane.

Brak

I think the biggest problem was how df communicated the whole deal.

if they'd just said "we're releasing the game on early access" and that was it then it would've been a lot smoother. I think they kinda messed up and tried to overexplain how it was cut in half for a first part and then sell that part first and whatnot while really there's not much to it than going on early access.

most backers I feel should've been eased right away with that, and I feel like most people with the pitchforks are kickstarter haters that didn't back this but for some reason feel entitled to whine about it.

I backed dfa knowing perfectly fine that it could've crashed and burned and I'm glad it didn't and I'm super glad it led to the kickstarter movement as a whole, which is pretty much one of the most inspiring things about the videogame industry in like ten years. that we got a kickass documentary is just the cherry on top, anyone that complains about dfa is just insane.
The other factor was that they announced all of the changes immediately after the Massive Chalice kickstarter ended. I didn't personally feel that there was intentional subterfuge or whatever, but I can see how that could piss people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom