• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

Levyne

Banned
Seems like a mixture of High and Ultra settings on my 4770k at 4.4 and 780 to keep 60 as 1920x1200. MSAA murders the framerate so just going with the post-process. Texture, Shadow, Water, and Post Process (DOF) set to High, Terrain, Vegetation, Tessellation, Effects set to Ultra.

With or without tweaks, cutscenes seem weird and stuttery.

Edit: Seems I can set Textures to Ultra as well, yay.

Sohaim

Seems like a mixture of High and Ultra settings on my 4770k at 4.4 and 780 to keep 60 as 1920x1200. MSAA murders the framerate so just going with the post-process. Texture, Shadow, Water, and Post Process (DOF) set to High, Terrain, Vegetation, Tessellation, Effects set to Ultra.

With or without tweaks, cutscenes seem weird and stuttery.

my i7 4770k is at 4.2gh, except i got a GTX 980, i am getting a 70% gpu usage, i got all settings maxed out with MSAA 2x and playing at 1080p, cutscenes stutters so much and fps are ALWAYS bellow 27fps and dips to 15 are constant, do you think its worth to bump up my cores to 4.4ghz?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cutscenes are locked to 30, it has nothing to do with your rig

theres an unlocker but your mileage may vary (I use it because at least the transition from gameplay to cutscene isnt so jarring, but they are still a bit jittery)

i expected to be able to play this maxed out at 1080p with a single GTX 980, i hope the new drivers will make this possible.

Oh, for fact a GTX 980 will dominate this game, just need some new drivers im sure. I just installed those new AMD beta drivers before I gave it a go.

DrTeflon

For those who own a 780 or a 780Ti, is 67/70c under load a lot? I really dont know nvidia temps, it does sound a lot to me but its my first nvidia card after a few years.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I wish AMD would do those awesome optimization guides that Nvidia releases for every game they partner with.

:)

In my testing, put Mesh Quality on High to greatly improve the IQ of characters, put post process AA on Medium or High and only activate MSAA when everything else is cranked up and if you have perf to spare, drop Effects to High (minute difference between High and Ultra, but a huge perf difference), use HBAO instead of HBAO Full, and only use Fade Touched Textures on high VRAM cards.

In general, I found the Ultra options slightly better than High versions, but with a considerably higher perf cost. If you're like me and go looking you see the improvements and want all the sweet bells and whistles enabled, but if you really don't mind a near-imperceptible change in quality during gameplay, just drop everything but textures down one tick.

Gotta say, game looks great, and when I stop being busy I'm gonna have a great time playing it, along with every other game in my ridiculously large backlog...

UnrealEck

YES! Turn off Afterburner if you're using it. Stutter is gone. FUCK YA. Time for some smooth Dragon Age!

Haha nice one. High five.
The performance is excellent for me so far. Haven't been in any cities or populated areas yet though so I assume it'll dip in those instances, though I am betting turning down mesh quality might help there.

but...but... my FPS indicator :(

Open the console and type 'game' and press tab. Then type in 'true' for the qualifier. That'll set the FPS counter to show in-game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Open the console and type 'game' and press tab. Then type in 'true' for the qualifier. That'll set the FPS counter to show in-game.

awesome.gif

SlickVic

I wish AMD would do those awesome optimization guides that Nvidia releases for every game they partner with.

Oh is this not one of those Nvidia partner releases? Wonder if that means we'll have to wait longer for the optimized drivers? Was hoping they'd be up by tomorrow.

MaddenNFL64

I actually think it was because I had it cycling for manual fan control (I actually do mean msi afterburner). Must have wonked out my 6 core.

So I guess just find whatever the hell is running in the background and using cpu cycles and kill it.

Renekton

I can't get locked 60fps, game will dip to 50s, so might as well lock to 30. Radeonpro's forced 2x-Vsync and Aeana's command-line forced 30fps reduces the stuttering somewhat but it's still there.

i5 Haswell
HD7970
Ultra textures
SSAO
Medium Tesselation
High everything else
no MSAA

KePoW

Banned

In my testing, put Mesh Quality on High to greatly improve the IQ of characters, put post process AA on Medium or High and only activate MSAA when everything else is cranked up and if you have perf to spare, drop Effects to High (minute difference between High and Ultra, but a huge perf difference), use HBAO instead of HBAO Full, and only use Fade Touched Textures on high VRAM cards.

In general, I found the Ultra options slightly better than High versions, but with a considerably higher perf cost. If you're like me and go looking you see the improvements and want all the sweet bells and whistles enabled, but if you really don't mind a near-imperceptible change in quality during gameplay, just drop everything but textures down one tick.

Gotta say, game looks great, and when I stop being busy I'm gonna have a great time playing it, along with every other game in my ridiculously large backlog...

thanks a bunch for this info!

Evo X

Great work on the Unity and Far Cry 4 guides Andy. Your work is definitely appreciated.

This is among the MANY reasons why I always have and will stick Nvidia. I don't see anybody from AMD posting here at 1am helping people out.

Oh is this not one of those Nvidia partner releases? Wonder if that means we'll have to wait longer for the optimized drivers? Was hoping they'd be up by tomorrow.

New Nvidia drivers coming out tomorrow for Far Cry 4. Not sure if they will have any Dragon Age optimizations though.

Aeana

I can't get locked 60fps, game will dip to 50s, so might as well lock to 30. Radeonpro's forced 2x-Vsync and Aeana's command-line forced 30fps reduces the stuttering somewhat but it's still there.

i5 Haswell
HD7970
Ultra textures
SSAO
Medium Tesselation
High everything else
no MSAA

Do you have Afterburner's on-screen display running?
I've got it going without stuttering at all now but I played with so many things, I'm not sure what ended up getting rid of it completely.

Levyne

Banned
Getting 60fps maxed in gameplay, but framerate during cinematics is atrocious along with screen tearing. Anyone know of a fix?

Play in windowed borderless for the tearing. As for the cutscenes you could try the

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60

Command line addition in origin to remove the cap but it seems that the cutscenes will behave poorly for most people unless you cap everything to 30.

I think I have that all right.

Renekton

Do you have Afterburner's on-screen display running?
I've got it going without stuttering at all now but I played with so many things, I'm not sure what ended up getting rid of it completely.
I didn't combine AB with Radeonpro, will have to play around with the settings further.

Has anyone had any positive experience using mantle in this game? I find its slower, uses more vram and basically doubles loading times. Updated drivers and 280x crossfire

Lord Phol

Put the following in the launch properties for the game:

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

Oh shit it's actually fixable? Awesome! Gotta do this when I get home today, thanks!

Btw anyone know if I should expect any big performance boosts with the next nvidia driver? I messed around with the settings a bit and got a pretty stable 60fps in the starting area with some small dips here and there into the 50s. Would not mind getting it to full stable 60 fps.

Aeana

I didn't combine AB with Radeonpro, will have to play around with the settings further.

I changed the command line I posted here slightly, so that might affect it.

Previously I had -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30, I changed it to -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30+. Seems like the + might have an effect, but I'm not sure if this is what eliminated the stuttering for good or not. Someone else in the thread mentioned that the + helped them as well, so it's worth a shot.

Van Owen

Banned
Performance seems all over the place for me on my 7950. I'll be running around the environment fine in the opening area at 60fps and then it will just chug to like 30 or below in certain parts. The first battle was a complete slideshow for me but it smooth up after that. I'm using Afterburner to boost my clockspeeds but not for any sort of overlays.

And then walking into the town after the intro everyone is referring to my character as a woman. AWESOME. I'll probably wait until the weekend to see if any patches hit.

I probably should have just gone with the PS4 version...

Rhaknar

Put the following in the launch properties for the game:

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

does that + do anything? its driving me nuts, im sure the line I have on mine from earlier today didnt have +, and I cant check for another hour! stupid OCD

JohngPR

Damn, MSAA even at 2x chews up quite a bit of performance. It's the only AA i can add apparently since CCC and SweetFX aren't working for me.

UnrealEck

Remember to turn down mouse smoothing in the control options for that 'raw' mouse input you're probably used to if you play PC games a lot.

Van Owen

Banned
Surely you can expect to at least match ps4 settings at 60fps?

Running on the auto detect there are a lot of stutters.

And is the benchmark supposed to freeze up, run in fast forward with no music, and then play the music during the black screen before it ends? Cause that's what it does for me.

Even turning down a bunch of settings, that scene in the early game where there's maybe 40 npcs makes my rig go down to the 40s. Going to keep it at 60 with em, but here's hoping that kind of NPC amount is rare.

Rhaknar

That's what happens on my system too. It's bizarre.

same, I assumed it was fucked

I have a feeling when I get out into the proper world, my hopes and dreams will be crushed and my performance will go to complete shit :/

Top Bottom