• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

Corsick

how much ram does your video card have? I think you may need to turn down your texture qualities

Just tried setting almost everything to low or off if applicable just to see if that would help and it didn't. My FPS jumped to a solid 60 as one would expect, but the freezing still occurred every 15 seconds or so. Not sure what to do now and it's incredibly disruptive to the experience.

Dizzy-4U

- FX 8350 @ 4.3ghz
- GTX 580 SLI (1.5GB VRAM)
- 16GB RAM

Set everything to high (didn't see much of a difference from Ultra at first glance) and disabled AA. I'm getting 60fps with some dips to 50/55.

I'm ok with this at the moment. It will probably tank when I reach an open area though.

By the way, I'm getting some flickering in the ground too. It's totally an SLI issue.

UnrealEck

Caved and bought it. Only been in the starting area and ran a little ahead out into the icy area at the very start. Getting 60 FPS (I capped it) but the only drops I am seeing come from some weird stutter every 20 seconds or so. I'm not sure what's causing it.
Other than this stuttering crap it seems to be running VERY well. On par with BF4.

but the freezing still occurred every 15 seconds or so. Not sure what to do now and it's incredibly disruptive to the experience.

Yes, I think you're getting the same thing as me. How much main memory do you have?

MaddenNFL64

Caved and bought it. Only been in the starting area and ran a little ahead out into the icy area at the very start. Getting 60 FPS (I capped it) but the only drops I am seeing come from some weird stutter every 20 seconds or so. I'm not sure what's causing it.
Other than this stuttering crap it seems to be running VERY well. On par with BF4.

Yes, I think you're getting the same thing as me. How much main memory do you have?

I have this too. Any idea on how to fix that?

8 gigs ram 2 gigs vram

UnrealEck

I have this too. Any idea on how to fix that?

8 gigs ram 2 gigs vram

Well I thought it might be a lack of RAM. I only have 6GB. Probably not that then.
I hope it's not that Denuvo protection that's constantly scanning and changing things.

I had the freezing issue too. I lowered the texture quality to high and it fixed the problem.

Possibly VRAM then. My VRAM usage was never getting near the amount I have on the card though which is weird.

NovaCross

Neo Member
Has anyone figured out how to make RadeonPro work with the game yet? I keep getting "Dragon Age: Inquisition has stopped working." - I'd like to force some Vsync without capping the game to 30.

SlickVic

GTX 860M
i7 4810mq (Turbo Boost to 3.8 Ghz)
8GB RAM

Got pretty good performance on high-ultra settings during gameplay. Cutscenes seem to dip under 30FPS on occasions though. Here's hoping a day one patch and some game ready Nvidia drivers may help smooth that out a bit.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah, Mantle is not an option for my 7950 apparently...

Same. What's up with that. Sapphire 3gb OC edition. And I installed latest drivers.

Game is not running very smooth at all. In the girls is normal 30-40, sometimes higher, but then in places like Redcliffe it drops down to mid 20s, same for the initial camp in the hinterlands. FPS is really all over. Even going balls to the wall with and overdrive does nothing at all.

i7 920 ocd to 3.6
7950 3gb
16 GB ram
500gb SSD

NovaCross

Neo Member
Same. What's up with that. Sapphire 3gb OC edition. And I installed latest drivers.

Game is not running very smooth at all. In the girls is normal 30-40, sometimes higher, but then in places like Redcliffe it drops down to mid 20s, same for the initial camp in the hinterlands. FPS is really all over.

i7 920 ocd to 3.6
7950 3gb
16 GB ram
500gb SSD

Weird. It's an option for me and I have 7950 3GB. It's in Display Options, not Graphics Options.

Antiochus

GTX 860M
i7 4810mq (Turbo Boost to 3.8 Ghz)
8GB RAM

Got pretty good performance on high-ultra settings during gameplay. Cutscenes seem to dip under 30FPS on occasions though. Here's hoping a day one patch and some game ready Nvidia drivers may help smooth that out a bit.

What resolution were you at? Were you able to use ultra texture settings while staying about 30FPS?

SlickVic

What resolution were you at? Were you able to use ultra texture settings while staying about 30FPS?

Yeah got ultra textures enabled at 1080p. Gameplay seems to stays at least 30FPS, though cutscenes on occasion get a little choppy. Just in the first hour of the game so I don't know how the performance holds in more demanding areas of the game.

Edit: Though I might turn it down to high for now since the framerate is more stable and cutscenes are smoother. Hopefully with a patch and new Nvidia drivers I can bump it up to Ultra again.

Shadownet

Banned
jbqyRaiMZbaoql.bmp

I gotta say this game look freaking amazing. This is mostly on high settings with POst Processing and Tessellation on medium and SSAO instead of HBAO.

I like that it still look great and Unity look like crap unless you're playing on Ultra.

DrTeflon

Is there any real difference between ultra textures and "touched by fade" textures? I got like 3 driver crashes while playing this (Nvidia 780Ti) and maybe its related to VRAM being full? Or i'm just being dumb here? Sometimes it happens out of the blue, when I'm just walking around. Game freezes, driver crash.

Temps looked ok

Is there any real difference between ultra textures and "touched by fade" textures? I got like 3 driver crashes while playing this (Nvidia 780Ti) and maybe its related to VRAM being full? Or i'm just being dumb here? Sometimes it happens out of the blue, when I'm just walking around. Game freezes, driver crash.

Temps looked ok

The "Fade-touched" quality is intended for use by cards with a large amount of memory. If the "automatic" preset doesn't flip to that value, you probably shouldn't use it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The "Fade-touched" quality is intended for use by cards with a large amount of memory. If the "automatic" preset doesn't flip to that value, you probably shouldn't use it.

oh touched by fade is the best option? damn it I had mine on ultra >_> need to remember to change that then

Corpekata

Banned
That

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+`

command line is great. It even fixes some of the regular animations. Like outside Haven with the soldiers training, they appeared odd to me, jittery sort of. That line fixes their animations.

oh touched by fade is the best option? damn it I had mine on ultra >_> need to remember to change that then

Why, a "fade-touched" material is the finest and highest quality that you may find in Thedas!

(but seriously, if the game autodetects "Ultra", you should stick with that, unless you have other tools monitoring your GPU's memory usage)

UnrealEck

Okay so the freeze issue, I opened the performance graph using the console and I see CPU spiking way up on the graph.
I thought it was very regular and so I timed it using a stopwatch and sure enough, it's happening every 19 seconds, on time, every time. Even in the main menu. Even during the EA Bioware logo it has this same stutter so I doubt it's anything to do with actual in-game performance.

plenilune

That

command line is great. It even fixes some of the regular animations. Like outside Haven with the soldiers training, they appeared odd to me, jittery sort of. That line fixes their animations.

There must be a good reason they capped this at 30...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why, a "fade-touched" material is the finest and highest quality that you may find in Thedas!

(but seriously, if the game autodetects "Ultra", you should stick with that, unless you have other tools monitoring your GPU's memory usage)

auto detect? who uses that >_>

...seriously, who uses that? those things always low ball every game even if you have a monster rig

That

is that + at the end new? I dont think it had that this afternoon when it was first posted

GavinUK86

Okay so the freeze issue, I opened the performance graph using the console and I see CPU spiking way up on the graph.
I thought it was very regular and so I timed it using a stopwatch and sure enough, it's happening every 19 seconds, on time, every time. Even in the main menu. Even during the EA Bioware logo it has this same stutter so I doubt it's anything to do with actual in-game performance.
I had the same issue with Advance Warfare. Never did find out what was causing it.

DrTeflon

Actually my auto preset does flip to that value, sets up everything else on ultra and 2XMSAA. Switched to ultra and sems to run fine now, will run some more tests tomorrow. And to be honest I barely saw any difference between them.

Oh yeah, it was also running on fullscreen and I switched to Fullscreen windowed, since I do alt tab a lot, it might be related to that perhaps.

Sohaim

anyone having problems with a i7 4770k and a GTX 980? on cutscenes i got so MUCH stutter, sometimes it dips to 14fps, gameplay is not smooth either, game is fully maxed out with MSAA 2x

figured id share in case anyone else comes across this

earlier in this thread i saw a fix for 30 fps cut scenes and of course just threw it on.

well the game unlocks and i create my character, the cut scene runs, 3 guys surround me with swords then....nothing. i am dumped into an open area with a tower and nothing else.

after 3 restarts i go look up a lets play and see that a cut scene isnt triggering for me. check 2 other lets plays, same thing.

remove that 30 fps cut scene fix and the game works fine.

maybe ill try putting it back on after the opening of the game...

Schnozberry

i7-5820k and EVGA FTW 970 here running at factory clocks. Getting 80-90fps in game just using post processing AA. MSAA didn't really do anything perceptible to warrant the performance penalty. In any case, cutscenes run like ass. Something weird going on there. Hopefully they can patch it.

Top Bottom