• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

KePoW

Banned
This is me exactly. If I can't see a lick of fucking difference but my fps takes a giant hit you best believe I am turning that shit off. The difference between high and ultra is usually a louder and hotter gpu.

Exactly bro!

I get the sense some gamers out there insist on maxing out of some weird elitist principle...not because they see a large visible difference

Aeana

I'm really happy with the way I've got the game running now. By starting the game with the command line switches -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30 -GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 30, everything runs uniformly, and the cutscenes don't seem to stutter as much (I believe the Sim options are the reason for this). I'd love it if everything would run at 60 FPS, but it seems like the cutscenes require more juice than the gameplay, so even after unlocking them, they'd dip into the 30s and 40s on the same settings with which I could get 60 during gameplay, which was no good for me. Super happy to have consistent performance now, it stops me from getting motion sickness and I can concentrate on the game now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Exactly bro!

I get the sense some gamers out there insist on maxing out of some weird elitist principle...not because they see a large visible difference

you do realise that, and Im trying to say this as un-braggy as possible, but some of us CAN run everything maxed without taking a hit. In the immortal words of our alien loving tv personality, is such a thing possible? yes, yes it is

now, if you tell me that some setting cuts 10frames and I cant see a difference, then fuck yes im turning it off (like SSAO in Metro 2033 Redux for example, even on my rig, I had to turn it down to 2X to get 60fps, and like you and others have said, I dont see a difference tbh).

Vamphuntr

Wow. I have an i-4790k, GTX 970 and 16Gb of ram and it doesn't run too hot. Cutscenes are chugging at the recommended settings :(

moop1167

yeah seems its a SLI thing. what is AFR2? is that the thing on the control panel? (mine is in portuguese so its called something else)

basically instead of using the nvidia recomended SLI setting there is one that is something something 1 and one that is something something 2? is that it?

Yes, but the flickering actually came back. Honestly, it's just in one little area at the beginning once you start controlling your character. I'll have to test more.

I am getting a smooth 60 fps with everything on ultra at 1920x1200 using two GTX 670's. But they have 4GB VRAM.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes, but the flickering actually came back. Honestly, it's just in one little area at the beginning once you start controlling your character. I'll have to test more.

I am getting a smooth 60 fps with everything on ultra at 1920x1200 using two GTX 670's. But they have 4GB VRAM.

ah damn. but now that you mention it... the flickering I got was ALWAYS in the same spot in game, and in the same cutscene... because I only played the initial 10min or so on like 4 different characters trying to get the look right, then I restarted again because I wasted a point etc... maybe it doesnt even happen later one

anyway Ill find out tomorow when I play for realsies, I had decided to do it anyway, flickering or no flickering...I just want to play now

moop1167

ah damn. but now that you mention it... the flickering I got was ALWAYS in the same spot in game, and in the same cutscene... because I only played the initial 10min or so on like 4 different characters trying to get the look right, then I restarted again because I wasted a point etc... maybe it doesnt even happen later one

anyway Ill find out tomorow when I play for realsies, I had decided to do it anyway, flickering or no flickering...I just want to play now

Yeah it was there in one spot, then when I reloaded my save it was gone. Then it came back. It could be related to AO too, but I don't really feel like testing since I want to just play.

Stiler

-Is there a way to turn on Triple buffering for this game?

With the 30fps cutscenes and sometimes going below 60 fps I am getting screen tearing and it's really annoying, triple buffering solves this for hte most part but for some reason I can not get d3doverrider to open for me at all.

Is there a config file or something I can enable it in?

Gibbo

Anyone else unable to access the Mantle API (option is grayed out)? On a 290x with the latest beta drivers.

Also, it seems like the cutscene stuttering disappears after the prologue, which is obviously a good thing but at the same time, I have no idea why it occurred in the first place. Oh well, won't look a gift horse in the mouth! :)

290x here. Im able to choose mantle. On the latest drivers

garath

With the 30fps cutscenes and sometimes going below 60 fps I am getting screen tearing and it's really annoying, triple buffering solves this for hte most part but for some reason I can not get d3doverrider to open for me at all.

Did you try it on the driver level?

KePoW

Banned
you do realise that, and Im trying to say this as un-braggy as possible, but some of us CAN run everything maxed without taking a hit. In the immortal words of our alien loving tv personality, is such a thing possible? yes, yes it is

now, if you tell me that some setting cuts 10frames and I cant see a difference, then fuck yes im turning it off (like SSAO in Metro 2033 Redux for example, even on my rig, I had to turn it down to 2X to get 60fps, and like you and others have said, I dont see a difference tbh).

sure, I have no problem with your two statements above

I'm talking about those people who complain about low framerates, but still insist on keeping every graphics setting on Ultra. That makes absolutely no sense

Rhaknar

cant you play borderless window?

I'm really happy with the way I've got the game running now. By starting the game with the command line switches -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30 -GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 30, everything runs uniformly, and the cutscenes don't seem to stutter as much (I believe the Sim options are the reason for this). I'd love it if everything would run at 60 FPS, but it seems like the cutscenes require more juice than the gameplay, so even after unlocking them, they'd dip into the 30s and 40s on the same settings with which I could get 60 during gameplay, which was no good for me. Super happy to have consistent performance now, it stops me from getting motion sickness and I can concentrate on the game now.

If you're still interested in poking it, for some reason, you might want to try jacking down the "Post process quality" setting. Most of the difference between high and ultra in that regard is the resolution of the depth-of-field technique, which is only active in conversations and cutscenes. It won't be a significant difference in image quality, but may reduce the impact of performance in those moments.

Gojeran

I just hope Nvidia releases their driver update soon. Usually its not more than a few days to a week out from a major game launch and often its a few days before.

I just hope Nvidia releases their driver update soon. Usually its not more than a few days to a week out from a major game launch and often its a few days before.

Has there been any indication that they will be releasing a optimized driver? Just curious because I'll wait to even start playing until that is released if true.

MotherFan

Yes, you can enable it.
make a file named user.cfg in the folder where your DA:I .exe is and put this line in it:
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 1

You can also do this in game by hitting ` and typing it in there, but it only works till you quit the game.

It makes me sad that so many people are having trouble running this. I seem to have trouble with every game lately, but this one is exceptional. I feel next-gen rpg finally

I7 950 @4Ghz
GTX 760
6GB ram

Edit: GTX 760 SLI

garath

Has there been any indication that they will be releasing a optimized driver? Just curious because I'll wait to even start playing until that is released if true.

There's a new driver dropping tomorrow. They've specifically cited far cry 4 improvements but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see dragon age improvements either.

Stiler

cant you play borderless window?

Ah, not sure why I didn't try that earlier, thanks.

Yes, you can enable it.
make a file named user.cfg in the folder where your DA:I .exe is and put this line in it:
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 1

You can also do this in game by hitting ` and typing it in there, but it only works till you quit the game.

Thank you a ton, will do this next time I start it up.

IceIpor

There's a new driver dropping tomorrow. They've specifically cited far cry 4 improvements but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see dragon age improvements either.

I wouldn't exactly bet on that though.

Dragon Age is an AMD sponsored title, so Nvidia probably just received code to optimize it last week... If at all.

Far Cry on the other hand is a Nvidia title, so they could have been working on it as it was being developed.

Rhaknar

Dragon Age is an AMD sponsored title, so Nvidia probably just received code to optimize it last week... If at all.

Far Cry on the other hand is a Nvidia title, so they could have been working on it as it was being developed.

I was actually surprised when the latest driver (the week old one for...err...what was it for, Advanced Warfare?) had a Inquisition profile

IceIpor

I was actually surprised when the latest driver (the week old one for...err...what was it for, Advanced Warfare?) had a Inquisition profile

I can't say either way, but my gut feeling is that the profile is for Frostbite Engine games in general. (BF4, Plants vs Zombie, etc.)

I did not realize this was an AMD partnered game. The driver delay makes more sense now I guess.

17fps with a 750ti. But that's with AA. I don't focus enough on the details for aliasing to bother me. I play SC2 and CSGO on the lowest settings. Looking at those Low vs Ultra comparisons, they look close enough that all I want is the minimum settings that don't have shiny hair so I can get that fps high.

Running on Automatic settings right now and am getting some stuttering during dialogue.

1920X1200 (dual monitors)
i5 2500k stock
MSI 970 Gaming 4gb stock
16gb ram
windows 8.1

Nearly everything on Ultra, except Tessellation (high),

Roaming and combat seems like not dip below 45fps (I'm using FRAPs to measure, is that what everyone tends to use?). Haven't gotten into any huge fights yet but my min 47fps, max 62fps, with an average of 59.256. Tried using the 60fps cap trick and still had audio stuttering. Will play around with turning down Post Processing because someone suggested that it could fix it.

I'm experiencing a lot of frame drops and stuttering/jankyness on the game here on my PC. I got a GTX780 (3GB VRAM), I play at 1080p.

Any tips on which settings to use to get a stable performance? At this point I don't care about 60fps anymore, just want the game to run a stable framerate.
Is this game too CPU hungry? Is it time to upgrade my loyal i7 860 already? :(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
After the initial cutscene I spawn here and can't do anything:
DragonAgeInquisition2014-11-1719-43-49-81.jpg~original

Anyone else have this issue?

Wel, this thread is a little bit worrying. Though I have to till Friday to find out.

At least the game appears to look pretty sweet. We need to some more ultra screenshots

delirium

i7-4770k
16 GB of ram
Nvidia 880

Everything on ultra @ 1440p sometimes dips me to into 24 fps on conversations.

I get ~44 fps in the tutorial.

I had hoped for better performance.

Sentenza

Given the reports about this game's framerate I'm starting to wonder if there's any truth about that claim that the Denuvo DRM actively affects performances in games that use it.

wrongway

Only just started checking the game out, but at first brush it's about what I expected -- performance is pretty similar to BF4, at least so far. I started out by copying my BF4 settings:

Most settings are on High, except for Medium Shadows, Post-Processing Effects, and Tesselation. I disabled AO. AA solution is Medium Post-Processing AA.

System is:
i7 860 (at 3.3ghz)
GTX 570 (1.2GB VRAM, very minor O/C that I can't remember :p)
8GB system RAM
Win7
Slightly cheating on resolution, being back on a 1680x1050 screen until I replace my dead 1080.

The benchmark gave me 56 average FPS, with a minimum of 43. In the very starting area of the actual game, running down the path is mostly 65-75 with some 80s. I broke 100 going up the stairs, but that doesn't really count for anything. I dropped to the mid 50s when passing some fire and when encountering the group fight.

Just for fun, I tried enabling SSAO and 4x MSAA while disabling post AA, and the benchmark ran at 37 average, 29 minimum. That's too low for my personal tastes, but people who don't mind 30 FPS can apparently get away with fairly aggressive settings even on old hardware with this game.

I expect to see a framerate hit when I get into more open areas, but so far it looks and runs great. Yay Frostbite.

Top Bottom