• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

aborath

Neo Member
No MSAA, just whatever post processing one they are using.

Ah, that's too bad. I was hoping that turning MSAA off would leave my could-be-better setup of GTX 760 & i5-760 (which I've at least got overclocked to 3.5GHz) able to handle the game on high settings, but it looks like I'll have to settle for mostly medium quality performance.

TheTrain

Well this is disappointing.

970, 2500k, 8GB RAM, 1080p

Mix of high and medium settings and I'm getting anywhere between 24(!!) and 46 fps. While I'm standing still, doing literally nothing, just inside a small town. This is despite the game recommending I max everything out.

And the load times are a pain in the arse. Fuck.

24FPS? Do you have an HDTV?

yatesl

Tested the commands that "unlocked" the frame rate in NFS Rivals, and they seem to work just fine with DA:I as far as forcing cutscenes to render at 60fps is concerned. Simply copy and paste the following commands (without the quotation marks) into the "Command Line Arguments" box found within the game's properties on Origin.

"-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60"

Now, being able to keep a steady 60fps during cutscenes with the same settings used during in-game/gameplay is another story.

Please disregard if old.

Fantastic, this works great. Regardless of the animations, the game doesn't stutter when going from gameplay -> dialogue.

Mix of high and medium settings and I'm getting anywhere between 24(!!) and 46 fps. While I'm standing still, doing literally nothing, just inside a small town. This is despite the game recommending I max everything out.

Oh man, I'm jealous of how cinematic your game is.

RulkezX

2500k @ 4.5Ghz, 7970GE and 8GB Ram with everything set to high except tessellation @ medium and textures @ Ultra. 2xMSAA as well and I'm dam near 60 all the time with a few drops to 50, VRAM usage is around 1800MB.

Deepo

Runs well on my rig in SLI, but sadly it flickers like a mofo. Top men should look into that. Mostly 60, with small stutters here and there, probably loading.

i7 5820K@4.4Ghz
2x MSI GTX 970 @ 1300 base / 1529 boost
16GB DDR4 @ 2666Mhz
Samsung 840 EVO
Windows 7
1080p@Ultra (manually configured) 2XMSAA

Cutscene judder is BAD as others have said, and the M&K controls are so far pretty much horrible. Hopefully we can fix the former and I can get used to the latter.

Aeana

If anything, it sounds like tessellation is the performance killer.

Biggest performance killer for me is effects. The difference between effects ultra and effects high is massive in terms of FPS, and yet I can barely see a difference.

Didn't get a response before, trying to get some idea of what type of settings I'll be able to play DA:I on with my PC

i7 3770 at 3.4 ghz
12 gig ram
AMD Radeon 7770

Thanks to all for the info thus far

Your GPU is your bottleneck, your CPU is quite capable. It's hard to know how playable it will be but keep your eye out for benchmarks. Your settings will likely need to be low. I've seen low graphics footage though and it doesn't look too bad if it performs for you.

I have an Intel Pentium G3258 running at 4.4GHZ
8GB DDR3
3GB Radeon 280
Windows 8.1

Think my CPU may cause an issue?

Most of my games play absolutely fine except for Watchdogs.

br3wnor

i5 3570k
GTX 670 2GB
8 GB Ram

Anyone running this on a similar setup? Haven't played a new PC game since last year so I have no idea how I'm going to run some of the newer games.

Entropy912

Neo Member
Your GPU is your bottleneck, your CPU is quite capable. It's hard to know how playable it will be but keep your eye out for benchmarks. Your settings will likely need to be low. I've seen low graphics footage though and it doesn't look too bad if it performs for you.

Thank you sir. Hopefully I won't have to buy a new card

Damian.

Banned
Unlocked the game via VPN and trying to play, but can't seem to use a wired 360 controller even though I set it to use it in options. Now I am stuck with a game where I can't do anything but stare at the title screen. :/ Any fixes for this?

Hixx

the hell? thats my setup aside from me having more ram.
that is unacceptable unless there is going to be game ready driver or a fix.

Shit. Same rig as me, except I have a 4670.

Is the game more CPU-bound than GPU-bound? I'm using a 2GB 770 and i7 4770K, and the lowest I drop to is 30FPS, with 55-60 in less demanding areas.

The 24fps was an anomaly, I was just just standing in a small town and my framerate would jump from anywhere in that range of 24-46fps.

Out in the Hinterlands it never goes below 30 but the fluctuations are still huge. One second I can have 75 fps, the next 33. I've capped it at 30 and plugged a pad in (mouse and keyboard at 30 does my head in) and it's going fine.

I just genuinely don't understand why a rather enclosed area was performing so poorly. You have to do something in a cave that's pretty much in the same area, big fight with lots of effects etc 80+fps. Go back into the small area prior, framerate never goes over 50 and is all over the place.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fantastic, this works great. Regardless of the animations, the game doesn't stutter when going from gameplay -> dialogue.

yeah I agree. it still sucks that its a little jittery (sometimes more than others) but the transition from gameplay to cuscene was REALLY bothering me at 30, I think i'd rather have it this way

anyway, even war prisioners have time for makeup!

tvllbk.png

You have GOT to be kidding me?

A 980 is only giving 48 FPS at 1080P?

This is the most powerful variant of this latest state-of-the-art GPU series and it can't even maintain a seemless 60 FPS on regular HD resolution?

The game isn't even that graphically intensive.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Runs well on my rig in SLI, but sadly it flickers like a mofo. Top men should look into that. Mostly 60, with small stutters here and there, probably loading.

i7 5820K@4.4Ghz
2x MSI GTX 970 @ 1300 base / 1529 boost
16GB DDR4 @ 2666Mhz
Samsung 840 EVO
Windows 7
1080p@Ultra (manually configured) 2XMSAA

Cutscene judder is BAD as others have said, and the M&K controls are so far pretty much horrible. Hopefully we can fix the former and I can get used to the latter.

almost same rig as me (you have a better CPU) and Im getting the same performance, loving it. when you say flickering, do you mean this:

if so I have it too, pretty much the only thing thats bothering me now that I uncloked the cutscenes. Some have said it might be a SLI thing (since youre also using 970s SLIed like me) and that BF4 had the same until it was patched. Not sure I want to wait for a patch tho

RulkezX

Unlocked the game via VPN and trying to play, but can't seem to use a wired 360 controller even though I set it to use it in options. Now I am stuck with a game where I can't do anything but stare at the title screen. :/ Any fixes for this?

If you have something like a Nostromo them you need to unplug it or disable it in device manager. frostbite games can only use 1 controller at a time and it sees things like Nostronos as a controller. I've got my X1 pad working that way.

KePoW

Banned
Biggest performance killer for me is effects. The difference between effects ultra and effects high is massive in terms of FPS, and yet I can barely see a difference.

This is exactly why Ultra ("Max") settings in 90% of games is pointless.

I don't know why some of you still insist on everything "Max". There's hardly ever a visible difference from High/Very High

If I don't see a visible change in a graphics setting, then I don't give a shit about max'ing it.

dcassell

Banned

This is the most powerful variant of this latest state-of-the-art GPU series and it can't even maintain a seemless 60 FPS on regular HD resolution?

Yeah, I'm hoping that new drivers will be out to address 970/980 performance. I have a 970, and when I'm anywhere with more than a few NPC characters, like towns, I get drops down to 38 fps at the lowest. I turned tesselation on medium and shadows on high, which fixed it with minimal changes. No multisampling enabled at 1080p, with an i5 4690k at 4.3 ghz. So, I'll test more tonight. For some reason, mantle was enabled in options even though I don't have proper hardware, and I couldn't disable it in game. Could be my issue, I'll mess with it more tonight

Damian.

Banned
If you have something like a Nostromo them you need to unplug it or disable it in device manager. frostbite games can only use 1 controller at a time and it sees things like Nostronos as a controller. I've got my X1 pad working that way.

The 360 pad is the only controller device listed in Windows. Same results on both my laptop and desktop. Setting gamepad in options gives me an inoperable game until I delete my config and start fresh with M&KB turned on. So odd.

Asbear

Banned
Does anyone have a GeForce GT555m and some kind of i7 CPU with 8gb RAM? I wanna know if this game will run at least 30fps at 720p on my laptop :-S

Buburibon

anyway, even war prisioners have time for makeup!

tvllbk.png

Thanks for posting that picture. Is it just me, or does this game really suffer from a pretty pronounced "black crush"? I had to set the gamma a few notches higher to recover some of the details lost in the shadows. I understand that scene is meant to be dark, but in my opinion it shouldn't be quite that dark.

Rhaknar

Thanks for posting that picture. Is it just me, or does this game really suffer from a pretty pronounced "black crush"? I had to set the gamma a few notches higher to recover some of the details lost in the shadows. I understand that scene is meant to be dark, but in my opinion it shouldn't be quite that dark.

pretty sure its supposed to be that dark dude, its a drk room with Cassandra drilling you :p

random outside pic

gmdrmb.png

Gothos

Reading that topic screams "technical clusterfuck". Ehh, I knew I should have bought Xulima instead of this. Maybe there will be some patch tommorow...

Games should be designed so that their Ultra (highest) settings are too demanding for any single GPU. It's called future proofing.

martino

i7 950@3.8
6go ram
crossfire 7870xt with overdirve activated (they can't handle static oc)
catalyst 14.9

everything high but tesselation ultra, hbao + and no supersampled aa

most of the time in the 30-40
gpu usage between 40-55%
this is in the first zone

edit: did restart the game

Wulfram

Sorry to repeat myself but looking for some reassurance

I5 750 2.67Ghz
Radeon 5770
4GB RAM

Should be OK for Low on 1080p?

Buburibon

pretty sure its supposed to be that dark dude, its a drk room with Cassandra drilling you :p

random outside pic

gmdrmb.png

Yeah, that pic looks just about right. In any case, my first impression while viewing the interrogation scene on a Panasonic ZT60 was that it was "darker than near total darkness in Outlast." Well, apparently it was a conscious decision by the devs, so I'll shut up and take it. :p

What settings are people having the most success in increasing FPS? Obviously MSAA is a big one, but I'd be keen to know if there's big differences being seen visually and frames wise by decreasing different settings?

massive juddering in this game.

how is it possible that this game runs worse than ac: unity?

edit: okay it doesnt happen in gameplay. good enough for now.

Anyone else unable to access the Mantle API (option is grayed out)? On a 290x with the latest beta drivers.

Also, it seems like the cutscene stuttering disappears after the prologue, which is obviously a good thing but at the same time, I have no idea why it occurred in the first place. Oh well, won't look a gift horse in the mouth! :)

crossfire is working nicely... stock 280x crossfire runs @ 60fps flawlessly maxed at 1080p. Anyone know what the different texture quality settings do?

moop1167

Yeesh, anyone getting flickering on the terrain? Might be because of SLI but I don't know.

Ah, switched to AFR2 and seems to be okay now.

Gojeran

This is exactly why Ultra ("Max") settings in 90% of games is pointless.

I don't know why some of you still insist on everything "Max". There's hardly ever a visible difference from High/Very High

If I don't see a visible change in a graphics setting, then I don't give a shit about max'ing it.

This is me exactly. If I can't see a lick of fucking difference but my fps takes a giant hit you best believe I am turning that shit off. The difference between high and ultra is usually a louder and hotter gpu.

Reading that topic screams "technical clusterfuck". Ehh, I knew I should have bought Xulima instead of this. Maybe there will be some patch tommorow...

Did you look into why your HDD stats are so strange?

HDD stats after 40mins of playing.

855315e479_7456270_14771512.png

Left - before, right - after 40mins.

Game transfers absurd amounts of data. That Denuvo... :(

Seems like you might have a pagefile being used?

Yeah. I don't believe it's Denuvo. Where are the writes happening. I wonder if it's a swap/page file.

That person has a clearly insane number of writes for only 800 hours, even before playing the game. Writes should be a fraction of reads, and the writes are higher than reads? Seems like a pagefile issue.

Rhaknar

Yeesh, anyone getting flickering on the terrain? Might be because of SLI but I don't know.

Ah, switched to AFR2 and seems to be okay now.

yeah seems its a SLI thing. what is AFR2? is that the thing on the control panel? (mine is in portuguese so its called something else)

basically instead of using the nvidia recomended SLI setting there is one that is something something 1 and one that is something something 2? is that it?

Top Bottom