• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

They will use DirectX 12 which does the same thing, if I understood correctly.

For the DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG I tried all the solutions here (reinstalling DirectX and Visual C runtimes from the game folder), but it still crashed. After the crash my card as reset to factory overclock and it ran fine after that. So I lowered my overclock settings a bit and had no problem since then. If you have overclocked your card(s) you might want to play the game at stock and see if that fixes it for you.

Yea apparently frostbite doesnt like overclocked gpus

For the DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG I tried all the solutions here (reinstalling DirectX and Visual C runtimes from the game folder), but it still crashed. After the crash my card as reset to factory overclock and it ran fine after that. So I lowered my overclock settings a bit and had no problem since then. If you have overclocked your card(s) you might want to play the game at stock and see if that fixes it for you.

Do you think my factory OC might be enough to tip it over? I haven't moved it an inch from what I got it at, but the Gigabyte G1s were some of the highest factory OCs on the 970s.

Shaldome

Do you think my factory OC might be enough to tip it over? I haven't moved it an inch from what I got it at, but the Gigabyte G1s were some of the highest factory OCs on the 970s.

Mine is also factory overclocked (EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0) and it did not crash with it. So if you did not manually overclock your card and it crashes with the factory overclock the only way I can think of is trying to downclock your GPU. I think MSI Afterbruner allows you to do this. Although I think this solution is kind of "dumb" but if it helps.

so anybody here know how to escape the origin install loop of death? I've tried the things mentioned online, but was gonna check here before I talk to origin support.

Guri

I suspect the patch is taking a while because what they need to fix in terms of performance isn't related to the game code, but the engine code instead. And that takes a bunch of testing. Also, changes in the UI can reflect a lot of design mechanics, so even more testing in different areas is necessary. That's just my opinion, though.

ELCID777

Neo Member
So I disabled Afterburner and it seems to have greatly reduced the hitching issues I was having in cut scenes....strange.

But now I don't have my fan controller preset from Afterburner to keep my GPU's cool. What else can I use to keep the fans going at a high enough rate to keep them cool without having to manually adjust them? AB gradually increases fan speeds according to my custom preset. The stock fan senor thing spins the fans too low and makes them over heat.

Shepard

Guys, it was a veery minor upgrade, but after installing my second RAM stick (I had 1x8, now I have 2x8Gb), I got rid of the framedrops in the Hinterlands Big Camp. Now it's running at 60 fps @1080p without MSAA. Strange, I was getting ~45s before that...

Kurtofan

Man, another crash, this can't be good for my pc, is it?

I don't understand how to fix this, apparently this is a driver problem, but geforce experience say they are up to date so I'm stuck.

bobeth

Mmm. I'm getting crashes to desktop, after playing 30 minutes or more. No errors or anything. 4790K with GTX 980, with or without OC..

Guys, it was a veery minor upgrade, but after installing my second RAM stick (I had 1x8, now I have 2x8Gb), I got rid of the framedrops in the Hinterlands Big Camp. Now it's running at 60 fps @1080p without MSAA. Strange, I was getting ~45s before that...

It likely wasnt the additional 8 GB but your RAM is now in dual channel mode.

Krakn3Dfx

My MSI GTX970 is factory OC'd and not a single crash in almost 12 hours, so I don't think it's a given.

Kurtofan

Could those blue screen crashes occur because my resolution was set too high? Nvidia is telling me I should set resolution to 1360/780 or something like that when I was 1900/something before.

Also told me to switch to 25 instead of 50 resolution.

I have no idea what resolution means. :-v

Kurtofan

Sorry to clog up the thread with my problems, but here's the warning Nvidia put "your system does not meet the minimum requirements for optimal settings in this game.the optimal settings may deliver unplayable framerates".

Resolution is the very first setting in the graphics options.

Oh, I know, but I'm not sure what this does.

Could those blue screen crashes occur because my resolution was set too high? Nvidia is telling me I should set resolution to 1360/780 or something like that when I was 1900/something before.

Also told me to switch to 25 instead of 50 resolution.

I have no idea what resolution means. :-v
Resolution is the very first setting in the graphics options. Basically renders the game at a lower resolution than what you have it set to if you lower it from 100.

so anybody here know how to escape the origin install loop of death? I've tried the things mentioned online, but was gonna check here before I talk to origin support.
I had an issue before where Origin was updating a game but it would just get stuck at 50% and never move, and the fix I'm about to describe worked for me so maybe it'll work for you.

First, exit Origin.

Go to your 'Origin Games' install folder.

Move the 'Dragon Age Inquisition' folder somewhere else, probably your desktop to keep it simple.

Start up Origin. It should now look like your game isn't installed with the option to download it. Exit Origin again.

Move the 'Dragon Age Inquisition' folder back into your 'Origin Games' folder.

Start up Origin again, hopefully everything works fine now.

roMonster

Ive had my 780 overclocked to the hilt for the longest time and I played NFS Rivals (@1440p 60fps) and the Hardline beta without any problems. Why this game?

dcassell

Banned

I have 2x4GB of a generic brand and am looking to upgrade to 2X8GB in the winter, so this makes me feel better about that potential upgrade. 8GB has seemed to create mild stutter in some games, newer ones specifically. So I guess I'll see how that treats my machine.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've had the exact same problem with towns and NPC filled areas in the Hinterlands.

Varna

So I haven't kept up much with this thread because I didn't really plan on buying this. I have a huge Battlefield itch and decided to jump on the BF4 bundle. So I once again installed Origin. Looking through this thread performance seems pretty rough all around.

What kind of compromises should I expect on my system?

i7-3770k @ 4.5GHZ and 980GTX

Teknoman

I've been looking at it myself recently, trying to decide between PC or PS4 so:

Radeon R9 280
Phenom II X4 955
4 GB ram

Planning on playing at 1080p with hopefully everything at High, but not going overboard on AF.

Radeon R9 280
Phenom II X4 955
4 GB ram

Planning on playing at 1080p with hopefully everything at High, but not going overboard on AF.

280 should beat the ps4. Its a rebranded 7950 right?

I had an issue before where Origin was updating a game but it would just get stuck at 50% and never move, and the fix I'm about to describe worked for me so maybe it'll work for you.

First, exit Origin.

Go to your 'Origin Games' install folder.

Move the 'Dragon Age Inquisition' folder somewhere else, probably your desktop to keep it simple.

Start up Origin. It should now look like your game isn't installed with the option to download it. Exit Origin again.

Move the 'Dragon Age Inquisition' folder back into your 'Origin Games' folder.

Start up Origin again, hopefully everything works fine now.

I reset the default install folder and deleted everything including registry keys and it worked. Still have no idea what really happened

AU Tiger

I noticed something weird last night and I don't know if it's been discussed yet but with vsync disabled in the game's options menu, I get around 70~90 fps. If I enable vsync, It drops down below 60 into the 50's instead of locking at 60.

????

Am I missing something here?

ELCID777

Neo Member

Radeon R9 280
Phenom II X4 955
4 GB ram

You can play the game with everything on ultra at 1080p and 2xMSAA if you lock FPS to 30. AF performance impact is very, very minimal to say the least, just set it to 16x.

I have 2x4GB of a generic brand and am looking to upgrade to 2X8GB in the winter, so this makes me feel better about that potential upgrade. 8GB has seemed to create mild stutter in some games, newer ones specifically. So I guess I'll see how that treats my machine.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've had the exact same problem with towns and NPC filled areas in the Hinterlands.
Outside of compatibility the brand makes no difference in performance. Also, he was running single channel before(one stick of ram) his performance increase came from adding another and enabling dual channel, not the amount. Not sure why you would think 8GB would cause stutter.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Overclocked my 3570K to 4.4Ghz just recently and it seems to be running stable using Prime95 stress test. I doubt I'll be able to eek out more than a couple frames from it but whatever. Gotta prepare for Witcher 3 anyways.

Was hoping for better performance going from a 670 to a 970. In the field it's between 50 and 60 (mostly 60) but there are certain areas that throw me into the 30s like certain parts of Skyhold and town-ish environments. Some battles can drag down performance as well although it's into the 40s at worst.

Set up is

2500K @ 4.5GHz
GTX 970 @ 1500/7850
8GB RAM

Any 970s holding 60 in Redcliffe?

komorebi

I didn't notice it before tonight but now I see that heavy grass has some sort of weird mesh over it. I think someone else brought this up. I tried changing all the settings (
seriously, fuck this nonsense of having to close and restart the game every time to adjust a single setting)
but can't get rid of it. This game needs some patches and driver updates.

dcassell

Banned
Outside of compatibility the brand makes no difference in performance. Also, he was running single channel before(one stick of ram) his performance increase came from adding another and enabling dual channel, not the amount. Not sure why you would think 8GB would cause stutter.

I'm not sure why it would cause stutter either, as I'm not well versed in RAM and what it will impact. I have a 970, and get terrible framedrops because it seems like my PC can't handle all the NPCs in towns. I have a 4790k i5, so I know my CPU shouldn't be an issue. I've just been wondering what could ffix that besides a GPU upgrade since it seems like people with 16GB and the same GPU are getting better performance than I am.

Is the game stable and bug free to play?

On a 780Ti so looking to max it out.

I'm on a 780ti, everything set to Ultra and 2x MSAA and I get nearly 60fps at all times. I'll get a few drops to 50 or high 40s on occasion but mostly runs fantastic for me. Also using a 4770k at 4.6 ghz

Is it possible to run the game on a single oc'd r9 290 at 1080/60 without it looking too rough?

I'm trying to get my fiancée's game at a reliable 60fps in populated areas like haven without sacrificing visuals too much, but 1080p on high settings (no msaa) gets 60 in the country with lots of drops in town. Nothing i change seems to be enough to improve her performance in towns.

She's got a 3570k running at 4.4 and 8 gigs of ram, btw.

Renekton

Is it possible to run the game on a single oc'd r9 290 at 1080/60 without it looking too rough?

I'm trying to get my fiancée's game at a reliable 60fps in populated areas like haven without sacrificing visuals too much, but 1080p on high settings (no msaa) gets 60 in the country with lots of drops in town. Nothing i change seems to be enough to improve her performance in towns.

She's got a 3570k running at 4.4 and 8 gigs of ram, btw.
Probably drop tesselation, post-process and effects one lower, since their ROI is questionable.

If you drop resolution scale (first slider in graphics) by one notch, towns will near-lock 60fps. However, you can notice some upscaled blurriness.

I noticed they only take 1-2 minutes when you boot the game, after that everything loads just fine
Transferring between areas takes a long time for me as well, can't remember if it always took this long. Just annoying when doing certain quests which require you to do tiny things in 4 different zones.

hey guys, I'm been having a weird issue since I started where the game just flat out freezes and I get a white screen. The only option is to close the game manually via task manager and restart. This only seems to happen during cutscenes, not during gameplay or any regular dialogue situations ( the one where you can still control the character).

I've locked it to 30 FPS using in-game Vsync and this command line "-GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 30"

Top Bottom