• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

SlickVic

So I'm assuming the optimal settings under Geforce Experience are meant to target 60 FPS? I'm playing on mostly high settings (exceptions being textures to ultra, regular HBAO, medium tesselation, multisample AA off) and feel I'm hitting a pretty stable 30 minimum, but Geforce Experience is recommending I set everything to the absolute lowest settings. Not sure if it's also being caused by it rating my CPU to the base clock speed (2.8 Ghz) and not the turbo boost speed (3.8 Ghz).

Not that it really means anything as I'm pleased with the performance I'm getting and am happy with how the game looks on my computer, but it hasn't felt like Geforce Experience is terribly helpful.

MaddenNFL64

So I started in this thread with issues galore, but I have since upgraded my power supply, and it is nice & smooth. Plus I can overlclock now :p.

What's with the texture pop-in* at the beginning of the benchmark? I don't get it at all in the game, buts its in the benchmark at all settings I tried

*not sure what its actually called

What's this about upgrading ram? I have (4x2gb) 8 ram 1300. Do u gain anythjng from upgrading?

I have some stuttering cutscenes which I believe is the 30 fps cutscene bug

I've crashed a few times but I think it's the overclock bug

Vizzeh

Banned
Are you guys that are getting a blue screen crash sure you have properly benchmarked stable your OC'd GPU's/CPU's, ie passed Cinemark/3dmark/heaven? Perhaps you need to increase the powertarget for the GPU, or voltage to the CPU to stabilise, crashes usually occur when the hardware is stressed (intensive games or programs)

Abdozer

Do you guys recommend I get the PC version or the Xbone version?

I got a 4770k (stock) with 16GB RAM and a 770 2GB, the 770 has me worried I wont be able to run this too well, I can settle for the Xbone version if thats necessary.

I got a 4770k (stock) with 16GB RAM and a 770 2GB, the 770 has me worried I wont be able to run this too well, I can settle for the Xbone version if thats necessary.
Your setup would slay the Xbone version, don't even give it a second thought.

Kinthalis

Banned

Well your 770 is like two xbones duct taped together.unless you really want that 900p 30 fps with drops popin aliased console experience, id stuck with your pc.

At 1080P and mostly high settings, I generally get around 45-60FPS, around 30 in the most demanding areas, though my CPU is OC'd to 4.2GHz.

Maffis

So I'm assuming the optimal settings under Geforce Experience are meant to target 60 FPS? I'm playing on mostly high settings (exceptions being textures to ultra, regular HBAO, medium tesselation, multisample AA off) and feel I'm hitting a pretty stable 30 minimum, but Geforce Experience is recommending I set everything to the absolute lowest settings. Not sure if it's also being caused by it rating my CPU to the base clock speed (2.8 Ghz) and not the turbo boost speed (3.8 Ghz).

Not that it really means anything as I'm pleased with the performance I'm getting and am happy with how the game looks on my computer, but it hasn't felt like Geforce Experience is terribly helpful.

I have 680 SLI and Geforce Experience wants me to put ultra on everything. I get like drops to 20 in storm coast with those settings. So not sure that's what they are after.

Abdozer

Your setup would slay the Xbone version, don't even give it a second thought.

Well your 770 is like two xbones duct taped together.unless you really want that 900p 30 fps with drops popin aliased console experience, id stuck with your pc.

At 1080P and mostly high settings, I generally get around 45-60FPS, around 30 in the most demanding areas, though my CPU is OC'd to 4.2GHz.

Thanks guys, I was deciding on either AC: Unity or this but I think I'll have better chances of running this smoothly on PC lol. I can always cap it at 30 as well.

I've locked it to 30 FPS using in-game Vsync and this command line "-GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 30"
omg, I never thought of doing this, yet this is EXACTLY what I needed! I get the actual gameplay capped at 30fps, but the load screens still go up to 200fps resulting in quicker load times. I don't have to toggle bandicams FPS limiter on and off anymore, and the locked framerate is MUCH smoother.

Anybody that wants to cap their frame rate THIS is the best method to use as of now. Just change the 30 to whatever fps you want in game.

omg, I never thought of doing this, yet this is EXACTLY what I needed! I get the actual gameplay capped at 30fps, but the load screens still go up to 200fps resulting in quicker load times. I don't have to toggle bandicams FPS limiter on and off anymore, and the locked framerate is MUCH smoother.

Anybody that wants to cap their frame rate THIS is the best method to use as of now. Just change the 30 to whatever fps you want in game.

Right now, this is the command line I'm using

-GameTime.MaxVariableFps 30 -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30

If anyone is using it for an fps other than 30 though, turn the all the 30's in the above commands into whatever you want

Sanjay

Yea apparently frostbite doesnt like overclocked gpus

I have my 980gtx oced to 1500 coreclock and its fine, might require more volts to keep it stable, I got these crashes because of that.

Also has there been a screen picture comparison between the Ambient occlusion settings.

Or any website that has done a extensive PC testing on the different graphics settings.

Alucrid

Banned
That alchemy master trophy is going to be such a pain in the ass to get. Farming herbs is awful and the upgrade requirements that need 30 each are even worse.

I have my 980gtx oced to 1500 coreclock and its fine, might require more volts to keep it stable, I got these crashes because of that.

Also has there been a screen picture comparison between the Ambient occlusion settings.

Or any website that has done a extensive PC testing on the different graphics settings.

Made a couple of screenshots that I don't have anymore, the gap between SSAO and HBAO is pretty big. The gap between HBAO and HBAO+, not so much. SSAO to HBAO also has a pretty noticeable performance impact, though I personally find it worthwhile because it definitely looks better.

Renekton

Depends if you like MP.

Seems like the bone has the more consistent multiplayer experience at the moment.

Sanjay

Made a couple of screenshots that I don't have anymore, the gap between SSAO and HBAO is pretty big. The gap between HBAO and HBAO+, not so much. SSAO to HBAO also has a pretty noticeable performance impact, though I personally find it worthwhile because it definitely looks better.

in this thread? I'll check your post history.

I'm surprised how well this game scales. My wife's got my old 680GTX and a i7 920 and the game runs smooth at ultra settings with AA disabled. For me and my 980 it runs perfect.

Only issue I see is that in internal maps I got a weird line that leads my character.

Right now, this is the command line I'm using

-GameTime.MaxVariableFps 30 -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30

If anyone is using it for an fps other than 30 though, turn the all the 30's in the above commands into whatever you want
I haven't tried those set to 30, but when I had them set to 60 I ran into some serious issues with cutscenes, including one time where no characters were animating at all and were just stuck in their T-Pose lol.

Things may be fine, but just using the single one I quoted is the safest route to keeping things stable.

Mindman

So will this lock gameplay and cut scenes but not loading screens then?

komorebi

So will this lock gameplay and cut scenes but not loading screens then?

I just tried it and while it does unlock the loading screens, the black screens that come right after the loading screens fall back down to 30fps and are much longer than I remember.

SlickVic

I have 680 SLI and Geforce Experience wants me to put ultra on everything. I get like drops to 20 in storm coast with those settings. So not sure that's what they are after.

Wonder if it's just annoyingly conservative with optimizing for laptops then. Kinda funny it thinks a gtx 860m and i7 4810 should be running this on the lowest settings, especially since it seems like a decently optimized game.

robgrab

Although I don't have a G-sync monitor I found something else to help smooth my frame rate. I switched over to my 65" plasma TV and enabled the TVs built in "smooth" filter. I normally never use that feature for broadcast because it makes movies like they were shot on video but it seems to help for games. At least it appears to.

Varna

So I'm guessing the intro isn't a good indicator of future performance? Getting a solid 80 (that's my frame-rate cap).

M.D

How do you guys check the frame rate? It looks smooth during gameplay (haven't left the very first area tho, so not much of an indication) but it feels a bit weird in conversations

For any with a similar setup, capping my frames at 30 allowed me to max every setting except msaa, and downsample from 4k with no drops. It took me a bit to adjust to the lower fps, but now I hardly notice. My god, the game is fucking gorgeous - holy shit! :O

Win7 64
i5-3570k @ 4.4
gtx970 sli @ 1480 boost, 4000 mem
16gb ram
ssd

How do you guys check the frame rate? It looks smooth during gameplay (haven't left the very first area tho, so not much of an indication) but it feels a bit weird in conversations

In-game console command:

PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

Works pretty well.

Varna

Nope, the prelude isn't very taxing.

Knew it was too good to be true.

The cutscene 30 FPS cap SUCKS. Stuttering like crazy too.

EDIT: On a side note. This game is gorgeous. I haven't been impressed by the visuals in a game for a long time.

Sanjay

Trying this with DSR, my native res is 2560 x 1440p. (PC Gtx 980 @ 1500 coreclock / 4.5ghz i5 3570K)

5120 x 2880 (4.00x) = 24fps

3620 x 2036 (2.00x) = 35fps

3412x1920 (1.78x) = 45

3134x1764 (1.50x) = 65 fps

Picture of set locations

Everything on max except ambient occlusion on SSAO, AA is off and Tessellation is one below max. With these settings saves big fps that can go towards higher res via DSR.

In motion I can't tell the difference between all max settings and the above settings.

Game scales pretty well with DSR too.

M.D

For any with a similar setup, capping my frames at 30 allowed me to max every setting except msaa, and downsample from 4k with no drops. It took me a bit to adjust to the lower fps, but now I hardly notice. My god, the game is fucking gorgeous - holy shit! :O

Win7 64
i5-3570k @ 4.4
gtx970 sli @ 1480 boost, 4000 mem
16gb ram
ssd

In-game console command:

PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

Works pretty well.

Thanks, will check it out later

Vizzeh

Banned
Trying this with DSR, my native res is 2560 x 1440p. (PC Gtx 980 @ 1500 coreclock / 4.5ghz i5 3570K)

5120 x 2880 (4.00x) = 24fps

3620 x 2036 (2.00x) = 35fps

3412x1920 (1.78x) = 45

3134x1764 (1.50x) = 65 fps

Picture of set locations

Everything on max except ambient occlusion on SSAO, AA is off and Tessellation is one below max. With these settings saves big fps that can go towards higher res via DSR.

In motion I can't tell the difference between all max settings and the above settings.

Game scales pretty well with DSR too.

Game looks well, aim for a solid 60fps :) - imo a cheap AA + a moderate but improved DSR is preferable with everything maxed, running smoother at 60fps to me.

(as the DSR will cut out majority of the jaggies + standard AA is typically less costly than full rendering at higher resolution, so result being similar with less performance cost)

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a GTX 970 and I'm running at 1080, V-sync enabled, almost everything at Ultra settings (Tesselation and Shadows at High), 2xMSAA and HBAO or SSAO and getring between 40 and 60 during gameplay.

The cutscenes, of course, still look kind of janky like they're below 40fps for sure. I added that line the executable, but is there something else I should be doing to get smoother cutscenes?

Varna

Didn't someone make a graphic setting comparison for this game?

Not really liking how this game is running on my 980GTX. I'll take some downgrades instead of this inconsistency.

Top Bottom