• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser |OT| Loyal bands and murderous hands

Ralemont

not me
Wonder if a
romanced Bull stays loyal? If not my sister is gonna be PISSED. Alistair dumped her in DAO, she had to kill Fenris at the end of DA2, and now this, lol.

Kirie

Wonder if a
romanced Bull stays loyal? If not my sister is gonna be PISSED. Alistair dumped her in DAO, she had to kill Fenris at the end of DA2, and now this, lol.

Nope :( He'll even betray a romanced Inquisitor. When Bull is romancing Dorian, Dorian's dialogue after you kill him is pretty heartbreaking as well

Kssio_Aug

Am thinking about sign back to EA Access mainly for this game. I have some doubts though:
1- Is it easy to play multiplayer these days? Or it is pretty much abandoned?
2- The Vault version includes the DLCs?
3- If it doesn't include, will I lose too much without them?

Finally beat it, was really well done. Was very impactful, especially having a close bond with
Solas. And fortunately, Iron Bull didn't betray me. :)
With all that being said, the library was the highlight of this DLC. The memory? entries were so beautifully written, with each holding some nugget of a clue lore-wise. In terms of lore, I think it's pretty obvious with the revelation that Solas created the Veil to lockout the Elven gods that they are in fact trapped in the Black City. What's interesting, and still not answered, is how the Blight works into all of this, since Corypheus said the Blight was already in the City when they opened the gates.
this is what I'm trying to wrap my head around. The connection between
Evanuris, the Black City and the Old Ones.
If the elven "gods" really are still stuck in the fade, alive, presumably in the Black City, maybe tainting the magisters and unleashing darkspawn was their attempt at revenge.

Im just interested to know the exact connection between the ancient elves and the Old Gods. Mythal/Flemeth was very invested in acquiring the Old God Urthemiel's soul and there were dragon statues of "Mythal" in the elven library. Morrigan can turn into a Dragon after drinking from the Well of Sorrows...there is some deep connection there between the two.

The GOTY edition is looming and I'm willing to bite. Should I go for the Xbox One or PS4 version?
Whatever you feel more comfortable with. I'd suggest the PS4 version personally as it runs at a native 1080p resolution as opposed to 900p on the Xbox One. If that doesn't concern you at all, then whichever you'd like.

Raggie

Whatever you feel more comfortable with. I'd suggest the PS4 version personally as it runs at a native 1080p resolution as opposed to 900p on the Xbox One. If that doesn't concern you at all, then whichever you'd like.

Thank you. I prefer the Xbox controller so it's going to be a tough call.

Grisby

Finished. Pretty good, although the finality of these DLC's always make me a little sad.

Kinda disappointed that there weren't more cutscenes with each member of the Inquisition or some more scenes with Cassandra.

I think I had a bug too, the game said that Duke Gespard was ruler when I left Celene in charge.

Big things to take away(?):

1) Heading to Tventier for the next game I guess?
2) Seems like an Elf army is on the loom?

What did everyone do for their choice near the end?
I didn't want to disband the Inquisition at the beginning of the game, but by the end I decided that we needed to follow Leliana's advice and go underground.

Thanks Bioware for a damn fine game.

Oh maaannn, this end credits deal is pretty funny.

diaspora

Cool, hopefully they can retro fix it or let you change it if they decide to use Inquisition data for DA4.

I think it's just a dialogue bug. The game I think knows, but is triggering the incorrect response. FWIW I think they're going to stick with the Keep as far as sequels go.

edit: Knowing that the Solas LI path having more dialogue led to me attempting to try it several times. Then I get to this, and I reboot with a male character.

Subitai

Am thinking about sign back to EA Access mainly for this game. I have some doubts though:
1- Is it easy to play multiplayer these days? Or it is pretty much abandoned?
2- The Vault version includes the DLCs?
3- If it doesn't include, will I lose too much without them?
Ya, though the dlc, multiplayer gameplay has evolved a lot more like with ME3. And a lot of people still play. There are also weekend goals still as well for bonus chests.

Kssio_Aug

Ya, though the dlc, multiplayer gameplay has evolved a lot more like with ME3. And a lot of people still play. There are also weekend goals still as well for bonus chests.

Thanks! I'm downloading it from the Vault now! Hopefully I'll enjoy it!

Regarding my hopes for DA4:

-Even though I really enjoyed Frostback Basin and Emerald Graves, they need to drop the "zones" shit in the next game. Especially if the next game takes place mostly in
the Tevinter Imperium
. If not a seamless world, at least 2-3 massive maps with inhabited towns and cities integrated into the play areas. Traveling between zones (especially to Val Royeaux) felt lame, everything was disconnected.

-I hope we get back to just leading a small group. Being leader of this big army never worked quite right in terms of the narritive or gameplay. "I know I'm the head of this massive organization with tons of manpower, but me and my 3 friends are going to into the wilds to gather herbs and kill the all bad guys". The wartable was too disconnected to have any meaningful impact on feeling as if I was leading an army.

Grisby

I think it's just a dialogue bug. The game I think knows, but is triggering the incorrect response. FWIW I think they're going to stick with the Keep as far as sequels go.

edit: Knowing that the Solas LI path having more dialogue led to me attempting to try it several times. Then I get to this, and I reboot with a male character.
Yeah,
Cassandra was pretty cool
. That was from the opening of the game right?

Probably about half a year out of the next DA is when I'll do another run through of Inquisition with a female elf. Gonna hit Sara up on the next go around as well as play photographer with the HUD turned off and take a bunch of shots.

Man it's rough returning to a game after an 8 month hiatus. Forget how to heal in this and I'm getting wrecked.
Wish there was a tutorial to remind me wtf I'm doing.

Man, that entire dialogue between Solas and the Inquisitor makes Corypheus redundant as a villain. Solas made a better anti-hero/semi antagonist in the last conversation you'll have with him

Can't wait for the sequel

Finished Trespasser a while back but forgot about this thread. If there's anyone reading who hasn't already played it and is in two minds, DO IT. It's well worth the money. I loved catching up with all the companions (seriously, best cast in a DA game IMO) and the climax was amazing. This is how the main game should have ended. Solas didn't leave much of an impression on me during my first playthrough, but Trespasser has me really invested in his character and super excited to know what happens next.

Also, my Inquisitor and Rainier got their happy ending, which was one of my main hopes.

There are some great new tracks in the DLC, but the only versions I can find on the 'tube aren't really the best quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIO6947bbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2atNbk-Pf4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8wr7Qxjy3c

Anyone know if there are any better rips floating around? Or even if Bioware plans to release them at some point, like they did with the original tavern songs?

High approval + siding with the Chargers. TBH it's one of the most logical decisions he could make in Trespasser given the circumstances.

I must have hit (another) bug because
I saved the Chargers, was at max approval (or near to it) and he still betrayed me. Meh, no great loss.

diaspora

Finished Trespasser a while back but forgot about this thread. If there's anyone reading who hasn't already played it and is in two minds, DO IT. It's well worth the money. I loved catching up with all the companions (seriously, best cast in a DA game IMO) and the climax was amazing. This is how the main game should have ended. Solas didn't leave much of an impression on me during my first playthrough, but Trespasser has me really invested in his character and super excited to know what happens next.

Also, my Inquisitor and Rainier got their happy ending, which was one of my main hopes.

There are some great new tracks in the DLC, but the only versions I can find on the 'tube aren't really the best quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIO6947bbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2atNbk-Pf4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8wr7Qxjy3c

Anyone know if there are any better rips floating around? Or even if Bioware plans to release them at some point, like they did with the original tavern songs?

I must have hit (another) bug because
I saved the Chargers, was at max approval (or near to it) and he still betrayed me. Meh, no great loss.
He stuck with me twice.

can you do JOH and TD DLC during Trespasser? I mean, is there a good sort of 'pause' in the narrative where you can (or it even makes sense, e.g. preparing for war) just free roam, do the other DLC, grind or craft... or, for that matter, basically use that as your new 'end game' point because I read there's no post-ending free roam?

i have a new file and i sort of want to get into the epilogue dlc, if you will (since I read that's a good description for Trespasser)... but i don't want to finish either, per se, either... just want to progress the story a bit and have new incentive or motivation to level up characters, craft masterwork gear, and basically just free roam, do the dlc, etc. in the original game i put probably 100 hours into free roam after i 'finished' the game but i did it before the 'final dungeon' (that forest where the final 'war effort' is)... is there a good place to free roam, grind, do the dlc in Trespasser to?

or should i try finish everything before I start because it's more like a final chapter where it doesn't really make sense to stop and just free roam for a few weeks?

diaspora

can you do JOH and TD DLC during Trespasser? I mean, is there a good sort of 'pause' in the narrative where you can (or it even makes sense, e.g. preparing for war) just free roam, do the other DLC, grind or craft... or, for that matter, basically use that as your new 'end game' point because I read there's no post-ending free roam?

i have a new file and i sort of want to get into the epilogue dlc, if you will (since I read that's a good description for Trespasser)... but i don't want to finish either, per se, either... just want to progress the story a bit and have new incentive or motivation to level up characters, craft masterwork gear, and basically just free roam, do the dlc, etc. in the original game i put probably 100 hours into free roam after i 'finished' the game but i did it before the 'final dungeon' (that forest where the final 'war effort' is)... is there a good place to free roam, grind, do the dlc in Trespasser to?

or should i try finish everything before I start because it's more like a final chapter where it doesn't really make sense to stop and just free roam for a few weeks?

No. Trespasser takes place 2 years later. Once you start, you cannot go back and do main or DLC quests.

Kalentan

Finally got back around to be beating the DLC... Even though...

My characters arm was lost... I still get the impression that it's setting up a sequel for you to control them or for the inqusitior still to be involved in some matter.

I would find it strange that they go through all of that set up and that post-credit scene about saving him, even from himself, just to have the next game completely abandon all of it.

I just finished Hakkon last night and I had finished Descent earlier in the week, so looking forward to getting into Trespasser tonight. Sort of happy I saved the other DLC and also that my game is currently still before the main story last mission area/boss because it's given me some time to became reacquainted and invested in the team. Going to spend some time crafting because don't really like the Descent armor and the Hakkon stuff stats aren't that great compared to Refined masterwork stuff but pretty exciting to see how the epilogue goes :D

going to take some time to 'prepare' a few different items sets... two sets of armor for all my main characters (one more focused on melee and another on magic), and then probably a couple main weapons too (one for living and I suppose one for demons), and make the most of it since I guess after I finish it, all my grinding and such will be done haha

JeffG

Finally got back around to be beating the DLC... Even though...

My characters arm was lost... I still get the impression that it's setting up a sequel for you to control them or for the inqusitior still to be involved in some matter.

I would find it strange that they go through all of that set up and that post-credit scene about saving him, even from himself, just to have the next game completely abandon all of it.

Maybe the next game starts with
the assassination of the inquisitor.

Finished it last night. Various thoughts and definitely spoilers.

Great ending... It all started off a bit slow and general didn't care for the eluvian focus in terms of setting but the areas were rather great, especially liked the deep roads and that fortress where the dragon was. But that final sequence, the 'forest area' where you're finally chasing the Qunari leader as she tries to reach Solas... that all sequence was awesome. Beautiful beautiful location and music and very satisfying final scene with Solas.

I chose to reorganize my Inquisition under Divine Cassandra, who I also romanced. Felt very satisfied with that and that it also made sense... even some bias on the part of both the Divine and Inquisitor... maybe a different Divine/Romance would fit a disbanding more, but I really like the sort of conflict of interest and bias it showed... the way Cassandra smiled when I announced I'd have the Inquisition served her seemed like she was pleased... dunno if non-romanced Cassandra smiles the same way but it fits for my headcanon haha. Also, I feel better about choosing her as Divine now, too... I've still been unsure if it was my preferred headcanon... but after seeing how she and the Inquisition handle things as respective leaders, and how it sets them up for the future (and how they handled their romance), felt it worked out perfect to have Cassandra romanced/Divine and really sets up an awesome paradigm between the Inquisitor, Divine, Dread Wolf.

What else... oh, holy shit... Qun Iron Bull dies?! I didn't even realize that was a thing because it was such a non-event for my Charger Bull. She just said a quick sentence that almost seemed desperate and he was like, of course not. Didn't even realize it was meant as a player choice moment (I would have guessed that even Qun Bull would have said no because of how it was presented.)

But I'm soooo satisfied by this because I actually predicted this would happen..... I went back and forth on my Iron Bull choice sooooo much. I kept leaning toward Qun Bull... Iron Bull was #2 most used character (and favorite) behind Cassandra, but it just fit my Inquisitor a lot to let Bull sacrifice the Chargers... it made sense... the Qunari alliance made sense... even Iron Bull would say it made sense (he constantly approves when you sacrifice things for the greater good)... However, I just couldn't shake the feeling that I may lose him. I figured, well the Qunari alliance is just a handful of ships and agents anyhow, so they're not that important for Corypheus... and they're going to betray us anyhow the first chance they get. And while the alliance may have short term benefit, long term we lose the Chargers and we probably lose Iron Bull... I was sure he'd end up going back to the Qun.

I decided to save the Chargers because I felt it was the best long term way to secure (almost force) Iron Bull to stay loyal to me... force him to sacrifice his loyalty to the Qun and secure his loyalty to the Inquisition. So, for this to actually play out as I thought it may haha sooooo satisfying

One question I had... what happens to Blackwall if you pardon him but force him to keep living the lie? I spent like 20 minutes searching and even the rather detailed epilogue wiki only say what happens if you pardon him and tell him to reclaim his name as Ranier, or you give him to the Warden.... checked Youtube channel too (that basically has every imaginable conversation) and nothing.... does 'Living the Lie Blackwall' just use one of the other 2 possible outcomes?

That was my one sort of headcanon regret... I ended up saving him but I always like the idea of forcing him to remain as Blackwall and basically 'owning' him.... plus the tarot card art was awesome haha it fit using him with a 1H axe.

wonder if the next DA will use the Trespasser data because I noticed the game doesn't save after you beat it... so how to transfer your final decisions? hopefully they bring back Dragon Age Keep, I thought that was a really fun pre-release activity, almost like a AD&D pen and paper dungeon master, crafting and re-tweaking any small changes to 'your story'... I spent hours on the last one hahah and that stupid web browser game was kinda fun/addicting too and I ended up always using Serrault Glass because of it :D

anyhow, felt very satisfied and think it set's up the next game perfect, especially with my Inquisitor, Divine, Dread Wolf triangle, the Inquisition and Tevinter versus the Qunari foreshadowing, the general possible bias, conflict of interest and even more reasons for Ferelden or Orlais to distrust the bias of the Inquisitor and Divine (and how the Dread Wolf can use that), and politics of a romanced Inquisitor and Divine while the Inquisition serves the Divine and the Dread Wolf tries to use all these conflicts to corrupt the Chantry and Inquisition... disbanded Inqusition, non-romanced Divine seems a lot more focused and maybe efficient but I'm exciting for how damn complicated my Inquisition, Divine, Dread Wolf paradigm is haha anyhow, just my ramblings... very satisfied as a whole.

Yeah Cass smiles for everyone regardless of what you choose to do. Also, you can go back into the Keep and select your choices for Trespasser in there.
oh, cool. I'm looking at that now... I haven't even log into DA Keep since I start the game last winter lol

looks like it's obviously set-up and ready to just integrate into the next game :D

Zomba13

Picked this up today because it was on sale on Origin.

I really liked it. The stuff at the Winter Palace reminded me of Mass Effect Citadel, well the first part catching up with friends bit. It was nice learning what had happened to these characters in the past two years.

I was a bit disappointed at the amount of Qunari and lack of Solas for the most of it but then that might just be on me because I thought this was like, a cap on Inquisition and Solas and not set-up for the next one. Looking forward to the next one though, I loved the first DA (and the expansion) but skipped out on DA2 because of the negative stuff people said about the game were all things I wouldn't like but really enjoyed DA:I. I hope the next one plays out like this, maybe with a fully open world?

End game spoilers
I'm torn on what to end it on. I played two endings so far, one trying to redeem Solas and disbanding the Inquisition and the other trying to stop him but becoming the Divine's Honour Guard. More likely to go with the disband option because I think it makes a bit more sense, you're trying to stop one person who really doesn't seem like he wants to hurt people so I assume there would be less resistance plus no spies and only trusted people.

I can't see the Inquisitor being the player character in the next one though after the ending. I mean, for a mage it could work but being one handed would be tough for other classes. Not sure I like that, would be nice to carry the character over to continue (well, start) the fight against Solas rather than a new create-a-character who doesn't have a stake in this fight.

stn

Is the DLC worth it? Its on sale now, could grab it all for cheap. Might convince me to beat the game again. Thanks.

JeffG

Is the DLC worth it? Its on sale now, could grab it all for cheap. Might convince me to beat the game again. Thanks.

I would say yes. It is the most story driven DLC. It explains some things and sets up the next Dragon Age.

X-Frame

I really liked DA:I but haven't gotten any of the DLC's. I bought the original version digitally on PSN but am considering buying the GOTY digitally as well to get everything. Seems like a great deal that ends soon!

diaspora

For those that want to listen to it, the Trespasser/ Descent album is on google play music. Got that Lost Elf Theme on repeat.

Ratrat

Weird question time:
If I own the base game on disc and buy the digital goty edition on psn, can I just download the dlc and play it with the disc? I dont want to download 60GB of data if I dont have to.

Fisty

Wierd this thread gets bumped as i JUST finished my run of this game and DLC.
I never liked Solas, i knew there was something off about him from the jump. I really dont see how the hell he will be a credible threat in the next game, such a bitch character

Top Bottom