• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser |OT| Loyal bands and murderous hands

diaspora

Has anyone played this with the Camera Zoom mod? It essentially dramatically lowers the FOV for non-cinematic conversations to bring it closer in line with actual cinematic conversations from the previous games.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Has anyone played this with the Camera Zoom mod? It essentially dramatically lowers the FOV for non-cinematic conversations to bring it closer in line with actual cinematic conversations from the previous games.

Ugh. That's awesome and I wish I could magically make it work on PS4.

oxidax

Inquisition Deluxe is 17.99 on the Mexican Origin. Has anybody tried buying it? It keeps giving me an error when I try to purchase it via proxy.

EDIT: Found the trick.

diaspora

Ugh. That's awesome and I wish I could magically make it work on PS4.

I'm using it on another playthrough I'm about 30% through. It actually seems to nail the camera about 95% of the time so it actually looks like two people talking rather than two dolls in the distance. I was just curious to see if Trespasser played nice with it.

Edit: The other 5% of the time is some conversations with dwarves depending on their position, but it's still possible to rotate the camera even when zoomed in.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm using it on another playthrough I'm about 30% through. It actually seems to nail the camera about 95% of the time so it actually looks like two people talking rather than two dolls in the distance. I was just curious to see if Trespasser played nice with it.

Yeah, it sounds golden. As it stands, I constantly "correct" the camera as best I can with the game to make it feel slightly more cinematic. Or sometimes -- and these are the very rare moments I approve of the design decision -- I'll pull the camera out toward the horizon or something, to imagine that, like, as Solas is talking about the Fade or what-have-you, the "director" chose to pan to the Breach.

I'm really, really into this stuff.

Really wish that was an option on console versions. I highly disliked the zoomed out camera in conversations. Even though the dialogue would remain the same obviously, the zoomed in angle from prior games made it feel a lot more intimate and, well, 'cinematic'.

diaspora

Really wish that was an option on console versions. I highly disliked the zoomed out camera in conversations. Even though the dialogue would remain the same obviously, the zoomed in angle from prior games made it feel a lot more intimate and, well, 'cinematic'.

It's honestly given me a fresh outlook on all the NPCs and characters in the game, it actually feels like my Inquisitor is having conversations with people.

Edit: Wicked Eyes will be really interesting to see with this. Hopefully someone can get DOF working in it too.

JerkShep

Very good DLC all around. The added customization to the skill trees is nice, I didn't try the new trials but they seem to be interesting. I really liked the Crossroads part of the DLC, while the hub itself didn't really do it for me. Great work on most of the characters. This could have been easily an expansion, sometimes the limited budget is readily apparent, but there are strong moments nonetheless. The music is fantastic.

About the ending
Solas seems to be a great villain, something that was sorely needed (the last one I really enjoyed was Loghain lol). I would have done without another world ending threat though, I was hoping for something more personal

It's incredibile how much they managed to turn around the lore of the series after the Mage-Templar stuff, which was sort of interesting as a concept but they run it into the ground in DA II. Very hyped for the game set in
Tevinter
, good riddance
South Thedas

The DLC crashed on me several times on PS4, it seems to be connected to some skills (Lunge & Slash?), still I hope they patch soon enough, I'm eager to do a second playthrough skipping most of the fetch quests

Very good DLC all around. The added customization to the skill trees is nice, I didn't try the new trials but they seem to be interesting. I really liked the Crossroads part of the DLC, while the hub itself didn't really do it for me. Great work on most of the characters. This could have been easily an expansion, sometimes the limited budget is readily apparent, but there are strong moments nonetheless. The music is fantastic.

About the ending
Solas seems to be a great villain, something that was sorely needed (the last one I really enjoyed was Loghain lol). I would have done without another world ending threat though, I was hoping for something more personal

It's incredibile how much they managed to turn around the lore of the series after the Mage-Templar stuff, which was sort of interesting as a concept but they run it into the ground in DA II. Very hyped for the game set in
Tevinter
, good riddance
South Thedas

The DLC crashed on me several times on PS4, it seems to be connected to some skills (Lunge & Slash?), still I hope they patch soon enough, I'm eager to do a second playthrough skipping most of the fetch quests

About the new threat/implications for DA4:

Yes, it's a "world is ending" threat, but it also has a tad more behind it. Solas isn't just going to destroy the world, he's opening the floodgates for the Elves to return. In the lore of Thedas, what Solas is trying to do is is much bigger than what the Archdemon/Blight or Corypheus were trying to do.

They wanted to blow up a dam. Solas wants to drain all water from the planet.

Squire

Banned
The lore is in a really great place. It's really starting to feel like it's own thing and not just "BioWare does boilerplate fantasy". That never really bothered me, since I play the games for the characters more than anything else, but it's cool to see that part of it really evolving, especially as a new writer takes over. It's going to genuinely feel different going forward.

diaspora

About the new threat/implications for DA4:

Yes, it's a "world is ending" threat, but it also has a tad more behind it. Solas isn't just going to destroy the world, he's opening the floodgates for the Elves to return. In the lore of Thedas, what Solas is trying to do is is much bigger than what the Archdemon/Blight or Corypheus were trying to do.

They wanted to blow up a dam. Solas wants to drain all water from the planet.

Well maybe.
We don't actually know if it'd even work if he were to try. Last time he did something that big he destroyed a civilization. More likely than not, he'd kill everyone and without any return of the olde civilization.

Yeul

Well maybe.
We don't actually know if it'd even work if he were to try. Last time he did something that big he destroyed a civilization. More likely than not, he'd kill everyone and without any return of the olde civilization.

I'm not convinced it's that simple.
Although he put the wheels in motion without knowing all of the implications, Elvhenan fell because all of a sudden common Elvhen didn't have any direction from the Evanuris. They didn't know what to do and then Tevinter swooped in when it was already on its last legs. Just because Solas says "even if it means this world must die", I highly doubt it will be like the shockwave in ME3 in the Destroy ending that will send out an EMP and effectively "kills" every AI/robot/whatever. Would there be deaths? I'm sure as a byproduct of tearing down the Veil yes, just based on the nature of possession. But the thing with Solas is that he holds spirits to a level of reverence and sees them as people. Why wouldn't he try to take precautions against such a thing. The Crossroads is a middle-ground construct of the Fade and there are plenty of spirits (such as the archivist in Vir'Dirthara) that are probably severed versions of their ancient elven selves. Perhaps before the Veil elves and spirits were joined together and not "abominations" as Thedas considers it now (i.e. Justice/Anders). If he wanted to restore the world of the elves, wouldn't he try to take a precaution so that the spirits of those elves remain?

All I know is that we can take a simple guess as to what the sequel will entail based on basic knowledge and this epilogue

- The Qun will be the invading force and probably what you fight the most as far as enemies go
- Elves might be a secondary force you gotta fight. I would imagine that it'll largely be dalish. Hopefully they let you make a ghetto/city elf character
- The topic of racism and slavery will likely come up
- Dorian is likely to be your contact and/or mentor figure. I would imagine through him you first contact the inquisitor and become his agent
- Solas will largely play the biggest or one of the biggest adversary roles. I wouldn't be surprised if a bigger evil appears

JerkShep

I'm not convinced it's that simple.
Although he put the wheels in motion without knowing all of the implications, Elvhenan fell because all of a sudden common Elvhen didn't have any direction from the Evanuris. They didn't know what to do and then Tevinter swooped in when it was already on its last legs. Just because Solas says "even if it means this world must die", I highly doubt it will be like the shockwave in ME3 in the Destroy ending that will send out an EMP and effectively "kills" every AI/robot/whatever. Would there be deaths? I'm sure as a byproduct of tearing down the Veil yes, just based on the nature of possession. But the thing with Solas is that he holds spirits to a level of reverence and sees them as people. Why wouldn't he try to take precautions against such a thing. The Crossroads is a middle-ground construct of the Fade and there are plenty of spirits (such as the archivist in Vir'Dirthara) that are probably severed versions of their ancient elven selves. Perhaps before the Veil elves and spirits were joined together and not "abominations" as Thedas considers it now (i.e. Justice/Anders). If he wanted to restore the world of the elves, wouldn't he try to take a precaution so that the spirits of those elves remain?

I think the Elvhen most likely fell not just because of a void in their leadership, but because their entire society was inherently shaped with the Fade, the Eluvians, Vir'Dirthara etc. in mind. With the separation of two worlds everything ssimply crumbled. Cities were destroyed, knowledge was lost, as was most of their magic. To be free, they lost everything. And Tevinter was there to pick up what was left. Just like the world of Mass Effect without relays, it's not that dissimilar. I imagine that tearing down the Veil would probably "reshape" the world, not really destroy it. But even if you discount the return of the Evanuris, I think the dinamycs between men and spirits have become much different (possession, abominations, spirits are influeced by men, not just the other way around). I doubt a world without Veil would be the one that Solas wants, everything has changed

The premise is super interesting for the next chapter in the series.

They can keep the open world template, but they really need actual complex and layered main quests and subquests. If all the areas in Inquisition had at least a major plot-relevant quest with some known character , people wouldn't be so hard on the game.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Can we please be vocal about this over the next couple of years? I want to make sure the devs know how badly I want all conversations (well, most anyway) back to cinematic framing.

Sou Da

Can we please be vocal about this over the next couple of years? I want to make sure the devs know how badly I want all conversations (well, most anyway) back to cinematic framing.
I think there's more potential in real time conversations.

I think there's more potential in real time conversations.

I didn't mind real time conversations as it felt more natural and could potentially prevent weid glitches.

The issue is when they didn't do them real time and we had issues.

If they have to perfect real time I would prefer if they didn't have some minor conversations where you had to click the stick/press a button to respond to the conversation as if you move decently far away it cancelled the convo.

Yeul

I think the Elvhen most likely fell not just because of a void in their leadership, but because their entire society was inherently shaped with the Fade, the Eluvians, Vir'Dirthara etc. in mind. With the separation of two worlds everything ssimply crumbled. Cities were destroyed, knowledge was lost, as was most of their magic. To be free, they lost everything. And Tevinter was there to pick up what was left. Just like the world of Mass Effect without relays, it's not that dissimilar. I imagine that tearing down the Veil would probably "reshape" the world, not really destroy it. But even if you discount the return of the Evanuris, I think the dinamycs between men and spirits have become much different (possession, abominations, spirits are influeced by men, not just the other way around). I doubt a world without Veil would be the one that Solas wants, everything has changed

The premise is super interesting for the next chapter in the series.

They can keep the open world template, but they really need actual complex and layered main quests and subquests. If all the areas in Inquisition had at least a major plot-relevant quest with some known character , people wouldn't be so hard on the game.

Yeah you're right, I just boiled it down to that one point, but all the reasons you listed definitely contributed. That's the thing though, the world now is so afraid of spirits and anything related to the Fade and that fear of the unknown leads to possession if you're a mage. I mean in reality, if you are connected to magic in any way then Thedas pretty much thinks of you as a danger. That's why Solas sees it as such a shame. Before the Veil, everything was as natural as running water but now anything related to spirits is seen as a danger even in situations where no danger exists. It's true that the reality Solas envisions is likely different than what would occur should he succeed but all he has as a frame of reference is his existence many millennia ago. I don't want to sentence him to death when he so much wants to be proven wrong and in many ways he already has. The problem is that there is a dissonance occurring inside of Solas between himself and his duty as Fen'Harel. It's definitely an interesting thread.

diaspora

Man, he literally has done nothing right. Creating
The veil destroyed both world, removing it is doing to destroy them again with zero ways to ensure it'll in the end fix anything. Dude is just another Architect.

Incidentally as for cinematic cameras, the idea of a dynamic and adjustable camera for conversations was the right idea- the problem is execution. The camera needs to fill the frame of the conversing characters by zooming in and narrowing the FOV to focus on them. Otherwise zoomed out it feels like two talking dolls.

edit: BEHOLD

Yeul

Man, he literally has done nothing right. Creating
The veil destroyed both world, removing it is doing to destroy them again with zero ways to ensure it'll in the end fix anything. Dude is just another Architect.

It's not like the Inquisitor
has any moral high ground so who are they to judge? They completely eradicated the world of the In Hushed Whispers quest without a second thought even though it was real to Leliana and everyone else who suffered through it. Never once does the Inquisitor think "hmm, maybe I should mount a resistance against this current world". Instead, they just remove it from existence because they think the world before was better than what currently is. It's not like Solas had any foresight into how thousands of years would go. All he knew was that the Evanuris would eventually destroy the world if they were allowed to continue and that the Elvhen were suffering for it. Did it go as planned? Obviously not, but he didn't know that until he woke up. But the moral question for Solas here is would you spare a world if there was someone you loved/held dear in it (be it a friend, lover, or someone you respected)? That's his internal conflict. Besides, nobody knows what the full implications of Solas's plans are. He sounds less than convinced in many dialogue options. Plus, Cole who is intrinsically tied to Solas, whether more spirit or human, knows his inner thoughts better than anyone and seems more convinced of his potential for "goodness". Solas's plan is not good, but 1) we don't know what it is exactly and 2) there is something to be said for the parallels between Briala/Felassan and the Inquisitor/Solas.

diaspora

It's not like the Inquisitor
has any moral high ground so who are they to judge? They completely eradicated the world of the In Hushed Whispers quest without a second thought even though it was real to Leliana and everyone else who suffered through it. Never once does the Inquisitor think "hmm, maybe I should mount a resistance against this current world". Instead, they just remove it from existence because they think the world before was better than what currently is. It's not like Solas had any foresight into how thousands of years would go. All he knew was that the Evanuris would eventually destroy the world if they were allowed to continue and that the Elvhen were suffering for it. Did it go as planned? Obviously not, but he didn't know that until he woke up. But the moral question for Solas here is would you spare a world if there was someone you loved/held dear in it (be it a friend, lover, or someone you respected)? That's his internal conflict. Besides, nobody knows what the full implications of Solas's plans are. He sounds less than convinced in many dialogue options. Plus, Cole who is intrinsically tied to Solas, whether more spirit or human, knows his inner thoughts better than anyone and seems more convinced of his potential for "goodness". Solas's plan is not good, but 1) we don't know what it is exactly and 2) there is something to be said for the parallels between Briala/Felassan and the Inquisitor/Solas.
The Inquisitor didn't destroy anyone or anything in Hushed Whispers though. They either prevented it from happening in the first place or they split a new timeliness, neither of which are as bad as
Solas/Corypheus/Architect.

Edit: His motivations are literally 100% identical to Corypheus. Woke up to see their empire crumbled, going to kill everyone to bring it back. The Corypheus will probably have less blood on his hands.

Yeul

The Inquisitor didn't destroy anyone or anything in Hushed Whispers though. They either prevented it from happening in the first place or they split a new timeliness, neither of which are as bad as
Solas/Corypheus/Architect.

Edit: His motivations are literally 100% identical to Corypheus. Woke up to see their empire crumbled, going to kill everyone to bring it back. The Corypheus will probably have less blood on his hands.

The point I'm trying to make is
that Solas doesn't consider it because initially he doesn't believe there is anything to consider. Just like the Inquisitor. And they did destroy something. They destroyed that world. It ended up being a time paradox for the Inquisitor but it wasn't that way for anyone else who lived that year. Why is it okay for the Inquisitor to effectively erase them rather than fight to save that current world?

If we want to throw in morally ambiguous "I'm doing it for good reasons" characters, let's throw in Loghain, Gaspard, Celene, Briala, or anyone else in the DA universe that isn't a straight up mindless darkspawn. No where does Solas say explicitly that everyone is going to die. No one knows and to imply otherwise is incorrect.

diaspora

The point I'm trying to make is
that Solas doesn't consider it because initially he doesn't believe there is anything to consider. Just like the Inquisitor. And they did destroy something. They destroyed that world. It ended up being a time paradox for the Inquisitor but it wasn't that way for anyone else who lived that year. Why is it okay for the Inquisitor to effectively erase them rather than fight to save that current world?

If we want to throw in morally ambiguous "I'm doing it for good reasons" characters, let's throw in Loghain, Gaspard, Celene, Briala, or anyone else in the DA universe that isn't a straight up mindless darkspawn. No where does Solas say explicitly that everyone is going to die. No one knows and to imply otherwise is incorrect.
They didn't destroy anything. Either it didn't exist in the first place or it exists as a parallel time line. Nobody was killed.

Incidentally get says what he's doing will destroy the world, everyone will die if he gets his way, a far cry from anyone but the Darkspawn Magisters.

Yeul

They didn't destroy anything. Either it didn't exist in the first place or it exists as a parallel time line. Nobody was killed.

Incidentally get says what he's doing will destroy the world, everyone will die if he gets his way, a far cry from anyone but the Darkspawn Magisters.

Perhaps not in the confines of Redcliffe castle, but what about the rest of Thedas? The people outside that castle, why weren't their lives worth saving in the world of In Hushed Whispers? How is it any different from Solas who sees this world as one that shouldn't have come to pass? He didn't know this would be the end result. He literally time jumped just like the Inquisitor just instead of through the amulet's magic he was in uthenera until a year before. How is that not jarring? You keep saying that it was a parallel time line, basically saying verbatim what Dorian did before Leliana tells him off. That the world didn't exist and it's a paradox but it was real to her and real to everyone else in it.

Also, did you kill the Architect? Just curious.

diaspora

Perhaps not in the confines of Redcliffe castle, but what about the rest of Thedas? The people outside that castle, why weren't their lives worth saving in the world of In Hushed Whispers? How is it any different from Solas who sees this world as one that shouldn't have come to pass? He didn't know this would be the end result. He literally time jumped just like the Inquisitor just instead of through the amulet's magic he was in uthenera until a year before. How is that not jarring? You keep saying that it was a parallel time line, basically saying verbatim what Dorian did before Leliana tells him off. That the world didn't exist and it's a paradox but it was real to her and real to everyone else in it.

Also, did you kill the Architect? Just curious.
Nobody outside the castle in alt 9:42 exist in the first place to die. Also, of course I tried to kill the Architect, his attempts at ending the blights started the 5th blight. What you're saying makes him seem more monstrous than I had thought of him originally...

Edit: and for the last time, he's not doing time travel. He's not going back in time and undoing a mistake, he's destroying the world.

Yeul

Nobody outside the castle in alt 9:42 exist in the first place to die. Also, of course I tried to kill the Architect, his attempts at ending the blights started the 5th blight. What you're saying makes him seem more monstrous than I had thought of him originally...

Edit: and for the last time, he's not doing time travel. He's not going back in time and undoing a mistake, he's destroying the world.

The reason why
I asked was because I wanted to know if you were consistent in your belief. That's perfectly okay, and you're free to think of him as you wish and you picked the ending you wanted to. My reasoning behind choosing to redeem him is that he verbally expresses the desire to be proven wrong in friendly/LI dialogue options. That, and the extent of his "plans" aren't even clear and I'd rather cross that bridge when I get to it. It's not even certain how much control HE has in the situation. It's just my personal preference though, obviously many people feel the same as you. And if it makes him seem more monstrous for my explanation then okay that's just how you saw it but really not what I was trying to get at. He sees the world as one that is "wrong" but the Inquisitor enlightens him and shows that there is worth in this world as it is but he still has a conflict within himself. Similar to Briala and Felassan. Cue DA4. (Also, I never said he time traveled. It was a comparison to express the passage of time of how his view of the world is one that shouldn't be just like the Inquisitor experienced in IHW).

My point in bringing up In Hushed Whispers wasn't to compare apples to apples. Or death toll vs. death toll. It was to say that what isn't real to someone might be real to someone else. Solas is wrong for trying to make that decision for everyone, just as Dorian was wrong for brushing off Leliana's torture for the past year as "it'll be okay because it isn't real" when it was extremely real to her. The point in giving the Inquisitor the option to redeem him/try to stop him even if it means his death was to show that Solas, regardless of their relationship with the Inquisitor, respects them enough to save their life and even go as far as to say that he would treasure the opportunity to be proven wrong. That's my point.

Melchiah

About the ending

Very hyped for the game set in
Tevinter
, good riddance
South Thedas

Agreed on both counts, although I have nothing against
world ending threats, and Solas as a villain should make it more personal. I'm looking forward to see Tevinter as well.

Rosur

How is this DLC and do I need to play through The Descent DLC or can I jump into this one? (finished Jaws of Hakkon recently)

Yeul

How is this DLC and do I need to play through The Descent DLC or can I jump into this one? (finished Jaws of Hakkon recently)

This is the most story driven DLC and it picks up after the events of the main game (it's an epilogue so you can only play it if you completed the base game). I loved it a lot, it was worth every dollar. The Descent is self contained and more dungeon crawler than JoH so it's up to you. But no, it's not necessary to play the Descent before Trespasser, they're each their own thing.

diaspora

Mythal in the main game:
"Mythal clawed and crawled her way through the ages to me, and I will see her avenged!"

Fuck me sideways,
removing the veil would allow Mythal to get her revenge wouldn't it? I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Solas was just another pawn.

Yeul

Mythal in the main game:
"Mythal clawed and crawled her way through the ages to me, and I will see her avenged!"

Fuck me sideways,
removing the veil would allow Mythal to get her revenge wouldn't it? I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Solas was just another pawn.

Yeah.
That's why I've been doubtful over how much control he had over the situation. It's definitely something I hope they address. On top of the fact that the Well of Sorrows might come back into play - especially because Morrigan was the alternative to the Inquisitor in that decision.

diaspora

Yeah.
That's why I've been doubtful over how much control he had over the situation. t's definitely something I hope they address. On top of the fact that the Well of Sorrows might come back into play - especially because Morrigan was the alternative to the Inquisitor in that decision.
I don't like Morrigan drinking from it only because I feel like it could fuck over Kieran somehow.

So not sure if this is spoiler material, but anyone notice
Tevinter spies at random places, during the Exalted Council?

Yeul

I don't like Morrigan drinking from it only because I feel like it could fuck over Kieran somehow.

Same here. Also nice how it
spared a fight between the Fen'Harel guardian spirits too in the DLC.
So not sure if this is spoiler material, but anyone notice
Tevinter spies at random places, during the Exalted Council?

Yeah
this DLC doubled down on spies. Leliana's spies, Qunari spies, Solas's spies, Tevinter spies. I disbanded the Inquisition for that reason. I thought it would be cooler to be sort of "underground" so to speak. Being the Inquisitor's spies for DA4 would be neat.

Same here. Also nice how it
spared a fight between the Fen'Harel guardian spirits too in the DLC.

Yeah
this DLC doubled down on spies. Leliana's spies, Qunari spies, Solas's spies, Tevinter spies. I disbanded the Inquisition for that reason. I thought it would be cooler to be sort of "underground" so to speak. Being the Inquisitor's spies for DA4 would be neat.

my logic too. I want to be able to
trust those allied with me

Plus lord knows my inquisitor always took the less risky approaches. Hence why I
exiled the wardens from the fight

Weebos

Banned
Finished this last night. I loved it, can't wait to play it on other files.

Fucking Iron Bull, fucking Eluvians in the Deep Roads, fucking Solas.

Ugh, so good.

Oh, and
Varric becoming viscount was unexpected but perfect.

JeffG

Started it for the second time last night. This time with my Inquisitor that had Sera with high approval ratings.

Too funny.

diaspora

I'm anticipating Mythal coming back in DA4:

3jGKmc1.jpg

Finished this last night. I loved it, can't wait to play it on other files.

Fucking Iron Bull, fucking Eluvians in the Deep Roads, fucking Solas.

Ugh, so good.

Oh, and
Varric becoming viscount was unexpected but perfect.
Needed an excuse for the latter so he won't show up later. Which is a shame I love that party member. Always my bro.

BeeDog

Just finished the DLC. Overall, excellent in almost every possible way and with a great wrap-up of the Inquisition storyline. The only gripe I have with it is that the end parts became too combat-heavy and very difficult, since enemies that scaled to my level (lvl 27) hit hard and had an insane amount of HP.

Really pumped to see where the franchise goes from here on.

EDIT: I was also so glad to find the (small easter egg spoiler)
remains/items of Sandal. Enchantment? ENCHANTMENT!

Ralemont

not me
Just did the "Eluvian by the bookshelf" section...

...Holy shit. Can't handle the lore bombs. Will be spooning my "World of Dragon Age" books tonight.

Top Bottom