• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser |OT| Loyal bands and murderous hands

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Those books are nerdvana. They're so freaking cool. I confess I don't actually own them (I'm really not much of a materialist; the amount of stuff I own would probably make a lot of you gasp audibly) but I've thought about picking them up. Read through them at a friend's house and they're just so fun, so cleverly pieced together, and so rich.

kai3345

Banned
Just booted the game up after installing the DLC, and I'm just wandering around Skyhold. How do I start the DLC? I've already beaten the main story

Ralemont

not me
Well, I finished it. It's about as close you can come to a perfect DLC without "Citadel" in your title.
1. They did a great job showcasing just how much everyone had changed during the course of Inquisition and the 2 years since. Blackwall was always one of my favorite characters, and the epilogue where he goes around to prisons trying to lead them back to redemption was very touching. They also added some nice maturity to Sera when it came to her more static contradictory nature; specifically when you give her the chance to gloat about the Dalish being so wrong and she basically just says, "I'm tired of bearing that grudge" except in Sera speak. Varric being viscount made me mark out.

2. Combat was pretty fun I thought; like Descent, freedom from last gen let them do much more interesting combat scenarios in greater numbers. That final Saarebas battle was EPIC, especially with me firing my Anchor lasers and Saarebas firing his demon lasers. Also got some nifty loot, with the schematic for Encore (badass mage staff) now sitting snugly in my Golden Nug.

3. The confrontation with Solas was done perfectly. Poignant, and answered all the questions it needed to answer at this point and time. I'm really happy with how they portrayed Solas. He doesn't act like a villain at all, which is good. Also with the huge fucking Eluvian in the background and the epic music playing, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I told him I'd try to change his mind, and I stand by it. Doesn't mean I won't kill his ass if I need to.

4. Disbanded the Inquisition. One day both Leliana and I will be dead, and at that point do I want everything I built in the hands of some new Divine, headed by people I don't know? As an institution the Inquisition was falling apart without change, that was clear. What was even clearer was that surrounding yourself only with people you can trust was more important than sheer numbers.

5. With all that being said, the library was the highlight of this DLC. The memory? entries were so beautifully written, with each holding some nugget of a clue lore-wise. In terms of lore, I think it's pretty obvious with the revelation that Solas created the Veil to lockout the Elven gods that they are in fact trapped in the Black City. What's interesting, and still not answered, is how the Blight works into all of this, since Corypheus said the Blight was already in the City when they opened the gates.

My final thought, without having yet played through this on my Lavellan save, is that for a game where the protagonist was originally only going to be human, female elf is BY FAR the best integrated and meaningful way to play Inquisition. Everything that's happening takes on such a personal nuance. I imagine this DLC will continue that.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Those two Revenants in the loot chest behind that mirror was like the hardest fight in the whole game for me haha.

Level 23 and I play on Nightmare, must have taken me like 15 tries! Ugh. Such a tight space was challenging to play any area tactics.

Oh well, strong sense of accomplishment after the win..

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Female Lavellan is indeed the way to go. Nuts to think it originally wasn't going go be an option. Inquisition finally broke me from always playing a human in games, and made me care so much for my Aeryn Lavellan. Never thought it possible.

Yeul

My final thought, without having yet played through this on my Lavellan save, is that for a game where the protagonist was originally only going to be human, female elf is BY FAR the best integrated and meaningful way to play Inquisition. Everything that's happening takes on such a personal nuance. I imagine this DLC will continue that.

Female Lavellan is indeed the way to go. Nuts to think it originally wasn't going go be an option. Inquisition finally broke me from always playing a human in games, and made me care so much for my Aeryn Lavellan. Never thought it possible.

This x1000. My female elf romancing Solas made everything much more meaningful. It's also interesting to note that
Solas's facial expressions change (also confirmed by the lead narrative designer that it was intentional) with a romanced Lavellan vs. everyone else when speaking to him in the final scene. As usual they did such a wonderful job animating him. You can really see he's hurting and trying to harden himself with a romanced Lavellan as to not give up on his idea of "duty" instead of being with her.
Patrick Weekes did an amazing job with writing as usual, I have a lot of faith in him as lead to carry this thread through to the next game really well. Weeks later I'm still thinking about it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Heh, a couple of my friends were like,
you'd romance Solas on your second file, despite knowing how things play out? Your poor girl!
But I thrive on narrative relevance and layers of tragedy. (You should hear me go on about how I always off a couple of people at the end of ME2. Or... well, maybe you shouldn't. I'm pretty weird.)

In Lavellan's case, though, it just clicks. Romance Solas. Experience the last, elf-centric portions of the main game from an elven perspective.
Play Trespasser afterward and have it all come to a head.
That's just good "TV."

Yeul

Heh, a couple of my friends were like,
you'd romance Solas on your second file, despite knowing how things play out? Your poor girl!
But I thrive on narrative relevance and layers of tragedy. (You should hear me go on about how I always off a couple of people at the end of ME2. Or... well, maybe you shouldn't. I'm pretty weird.)

In Lavellan's case, though, it just clicks. Romance Solas. Experience the last, elf-centric portions of the main game from an elven perspective.
Play Trespasser afterward and have it all come to a head.
That's just good "TV."

Yeah exactly what you said. The narrative relavance is why I really can't go to anyone else, it feels weird lol. Plus even with all of the tragedy, it feels like the only pairing that would potentially see any light of day in the next DA, should the Inquisitor show up at all in any capacity. It's probably one of the best written romances I've played, especially considering the fact that you're not playing a pre-established character. I mean in one game alone, it destroyed me. And here I thought I felt emotional about Garrus and Shepard.

mrjohill

Hey guys I'm at a loss at how to start the dlc. I downloaded it last night, loaded up my post game save and went to the war table but nothing shows up. Anyone had this problem? I'm in ps4 if that matters

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah exactly what you said. The narrative relavance is why I really can't go to anyone else, it feels weird lol. Plus even with all of the tragedy, it feels like the only pairing that would potentially see any light of day in the next DA, should the Inquisitor show up at all in any capacity. It's probably one of the best written romances I've played, especially considering the fact that you're not playing a pre-established character. I mean in one game alone, it destroyed me. And here I thought I felt emotional about Garrus and Shepard.

Amen. Straight down to the Shepard/Garrus reference. Plus, Inquisition has plenty of triumph in its narrative anyway -- a bit too much, I dare say; I think the main game really could have used one more setback in the final hours in order to avoid cheapening Corypheus' credibility. He just... loses and loses and loses from Skyhold onward. So if we inject some delightfully well-realized tragedy into the mix the whole thing comes alive more. For me, anyway.

Hey guys I'm at a loss at how to start the dlc. I downloaded it last night, loaded up my post game save and went to the war table but nothing shows up. Anyone had this problem? I'm in ps4 if that matters

Are you at the postgame section? It can only be accessed after you've completed the final story mission. If you aren't, that's your problem. If you are, though... I have heard of this happening with a few people, unfortunately. Let me know. I'll dig through the BSN glitch threads and try to find a solution for you if necessary.

EDIT: Colossal derp, there. You said postgame. Sorry, haha. I'll investigate.

JeffG

You need at least 8 power. You should see a one of the pyramid shapes on the war table and it will have blue tinges to it. Upper middle portion of the ferelden map

If you have 8 power it should have the "cloud" above it

I was surprised how ambivalent I felt after finishing Trespasser.

The story was at its most lore-heavy, expecting the gamer to know just about everything Dragon Age. I barely kept up with character motivations as they were evolving over the course of the DLC.

The gameplay was really tedious and took forever. Almost every enemy was a damage sponge and took way too long to deal with.

But I really liked seeing all the characters together again, I liked the ending and I really liked
Iron Bull's turn against the Inquisition.
So I didn't dislike Trespasser. I definitely think it's an essential DA:I add-on and I would be worse off having not played it.

mrjohill

You need at least 8 power. You should see a one of the pyramid shapes on the war table and it will have blue tinges to it. Upper middle portion of the ferelden map

If you have 8 power it should have the "cloud" above it

e4Fid77.jpg

This is all it's showing in ferelden...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Doing some digging around for you, mrjohill. So far, my recommendations would be to exit the war table a couple of times and see if it pops up; failing that, quit the game entirely and hop back in, see if that helps. I'll keep looking.

Also, here's another tip from a BioWare fellow.

Based on what you are saying you are on PC, have you signed into the servers at least once? And you also downloaded the DLC (go into Update and see if you have a SinglePlayer_DLCBlue folder)

Actually I may be on crack. Descent is in Fereldan. The Trespasser is in Orlais

Sorry

Oh yeah, it is, isn't it? >_>;

mrjohill

Doing some digging around for you, mrjohill. So far, my recommendations would be to exit the war table a couple of times and see if it pops up; failing that, quit the game entirely and hop back in, see if that helps. I'll keep looking.

Alright thanks :) if you find anything else let me know.

Kirie

Silly question, but have you rebooted your system since downloading it? I had the same exact issue until I restarted my console first, then it finally showed up for me.

Kalentan

How long is the DLC? I'm just getting to the second 'fighting' section and have already spent like 2 to 3 or so hours talking and exploring.

Yeul

How long is the DLC? I'm just getting to the second 'fighting' section and have already spent like 2 to 3 or so hours talking and exploring.

Anywhere between 5-8 hours, maybe? YMMV, obviously. But I've seen those numbers thrown around. I prob took 5-6, something around there.

Squire

Banned
I can definitely see what you guys are saying about female Levellan. It's really difficult for me to break from my first choices in BioWare games, but I really want to go through the game as Lavellan.

I like what Jeff said about "good TV". I'm exactly like that, myself.

Yeul

I can definitely see what you guys are saying about female Levellan. It's really difficult for me to break from my first choices in BioWare games, but I really want to go through the game as Lavellan.

I feel you on it being difficult to break away from choices, I'm like that myself. Thankfully I got lucky and wound up with something really satisfying (heart wrenching, but satisfying). Definitely go for it!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Ha, thanks. That's how I've always been with story-driven games, yeah. Not really in it for the heroic power trips (although I won't deny it can be a great escape from the drudgery of everyday life) so much as a good, solid dramatic experience. It's why I do what I said earlier re: ME2 (ME2 spoilers inbound)
and off a couple of people at the Collector Base every file.
-- I prefer to temper that amazing victory with a few drops of personal misfortune.

I think BioWare is at its best when it can offer players that kind of journey, a nice personal journey set against a backdrop epic in scale. "Solas-mancing" Lavellan gets that in spades.

Anyway, I'm mostly just repeating what I've already said at this point. :p I just get pretty passionate about this stuff, and Trespasser rocks at bringing that out in us fans. If DA4 is at all like this, I'm stoked.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, I'm the same way with choices. A kind of "canon" forms in my brain. Hard to break. I rolled with a male Trevelyan when the game launched, so switching to female Lavellan was hard, I hear ya. So worth it though.

I was surprised how ambivalent I felt after finishing Trespasser.

The story was at its most lore-heavy, expecting the gamer to know just about everything Dragon Age. I barely kept up with character motivations as they were evolving over the course of the DLC.

The gameplay was really tedious and took forever. Almost every enemy was a damage sponge and took way too long to deal with.

But I really liked seeing all the characters together again, I liked the ending and I really liked
Iron Bull's turn against the Inquisition.
So I didn't dislike Trespasser. I definitely think it's an essential DA:I add-on and I would be worse off having not played it.

I can understand barely keeping up with the lore. It was a bit like this in the base game for me, too. I've played all the entries and most of the DLCs, so I know a fair bit, but it did feel sometimes like I was really stretching my knowledge to be able to fully follow everything that was going on.

I guess there are dialogue options that allow you to skip some of this, but that's not my style.

Ralemont

not me
This DLC does squash one of my favorite conspiracy theories though:
Solas says he was sleeping from creating the Veil until 1 year before Inquisition, so he couldn't have been Shartan. :(

mrjohill

Silly question, but have you rebooted your system since downloading it? I had the same exact issue until I restarted my console first, then it finally showed up for me.

I figured out the problem. The dlc does not work on the 3.00 firmware beta

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This DLC answered so many questions

I love it

Bring on the Tevinter Imperium

diaspora

I called it:

I only now just found the codex from Hakkon that asserts
there are no actual elven gods. Just two warring factions with the losers being forgotten hinting at them being the Forgotten Ones and the winners like Andriul reigning as the "gods" of elven society..

Ralemont

not me
I'm also playing through Hakkon now, and I love it. As a template for a zone with increased story focus and cohesive progression through the level (as well as having excellent level design) I can really appreciate what they were trying to do here. I think if the base game had less zones but this amount of dense content it would be a real improvement.

Here's hoping that in DA4 BioWare doesn't do their typical "take feedback to the extreme" and find a nice balance between open freedom and content focus.

diaspora

Well Solas says it multiple times in the base game too lol.

I don't mean them not
literally being gods, I mean them about the winners of a war, something AFAIK he doesn't get into until Trespasser.
I'm also playing through Hakkon now, and I love it. As a template for a zone with increased story focus and cohesive progression through the level (as well as having excellent level design) I can really appreciate what they were trying to do here. I think if the base game had less zones but this amount of dense content it would be a real improvement.

Here's hoping that in DA4 BioWare doesn't do their typical "take feedback to the extreme" and find a nice balance between open freedom and content focus.

Crestwood was like this too IMO.

Yeul

I don't mean them not
literally being gods, I mean them about the winners of a war, something AFAIK he doesn't get into until Trespasser.

Yeah he definitely doesn't go into detail until Trespasser, but his codex talks about a war and Andruil's codex talks about her making armor from the Void/constantly going into the Void to hunt the Forgotten Ones which led to her insanity.

I agree. The Frostback Basin zone was really good and super refreshing with how even the side quests were tied into the main plot of the DLC. Like you, I hope they have less zones for DA4. Maybe instead build a really in-depth Minrathous akin to Witcher 3's Novigrad.

diaspora

Yeah he definitely doesn't go into detail until Trespasser, but his codex talks about a war and Andruil's codex talks about her making armor from the Void/constantly going into the Void to hunt the Forgotten Ones which led to her insanity.

Andruil's codex is more related to the origins of the blight/ red lyrium I think.

Yeul

Andruil's codex is more related to the origins of the blight/ red lyrium I think.

"One day Andruil grew tired of hunting mortal men and beasts. She began stalking The Forgotten Ones, wicked things that thrive in the abyss." Point is, there was obviously mentions of tensions between them. Moreso in Fen'Harel's codex because it talks about how he played both sides like a fiddle. Andruil is vicious, regardless. It's interesting because then later we learn about the
Titans/potentially blighted Titans/Evanuris wanting to harvest their lyrium to fight the Forgotten Ones and each other.
It starts to enter theory territory really quick.

diaspora

"One day Andruil grew tired of hunting mortal men and beasts. She began stalking The Forgotten Ones, wicked things that thrive in the abyss." Point is, there was obviously mentions of tensions between them. Moreso in Fen'Harel's codex because it talks about how he played both sides like a fiddle. Andruil is vicious, regardless. It's interesting because then later we learn about the
Titans/potentially blighted Titans/Evanuris wanting to harvest their lyrium to fight the Forgotten Ones and each other.
It starts to enter theory territory really quick.

Andruil put on armor made of the Void, and all forgot her true face. She made weapons of darkness, and plague ate her lands.

Yeul

Andruil put on armor made of the Void, and all forgot her true face. She made weapons of darkness, and plague ate her lands.

I didn't say it didn't mention it. I just said it also mentioned her going after the Forgotten Ones.

Frosttback Basin hit just about every note it needed to. A few adjustments to fit some overall game-wide improvements they need to make for the next game and it's almost a perfect template for a zone.

It would be nice to have a mix of large but dense zones like Frostback Basin, smaller, quicker zones you can finish in an hour (like Fallow Mire) and more linear, classic dungeon fare like the Descent.

I also worry a bit about how they will take the feedback. They do tend to over correct sometimes.

Neoweee

Does the DLC ever go on sale? I bought the PC version and most recent DLC so I could start with the Challenge Modes enabled, but I am interested in playing the other two DLC at some point... if I can pay less than $15 each.

John Harker

Remind me who Andruil is and how we encounter? Name isn't ringing a bell offhand.

Finished Tresspassor.
Male Levallen. We were besties.

This is only the 2nd DLC I've ever purchased.

Well worth it.
Bravo EA/Bioware friends, loved this game and add on content. Pumped for DA4.

diaspora

Remind me who Andruil is and how we encounter? Name isn't ringing a bell offhand.

Finished Tresspassor.
Male Levallen. We were besties.

This is only the 2nd DLC I've ever purchased.

Well worth it.
Bravo EA/Bioware friends, loved this game and add on content. Pumped for DA4.

One of the Elven Pantheon. She has a codex entry in the base game.

Does the DLC ever go on sale? I bought the PC version and most recent DLC so I could start with the Challenge Modes enabled, but I am interested in playing the other two DLC at some point... if I can pay less than $15 each.

Hakkon's been on sale like 3 times.

John Harker

DA really needs a Mass Effext codex where some soothing voice reads it all to me :/

I ended up following the story very closely but skipping MANY documents Lying around... I mean I picked them all up, was just waaaay too much to read this go around haha

Ralemont

not me

Yep, Crestwood was definitely my favorite vanilla zone.

DA really needs a Mass Effext codex where some soothing voice reads it all to me :/

I ended up following the story very closely but skipping MANY documents Lying around... I mean I picked them all up, was just waaaay too much to read this go around haha

Yeah, I ended up picking up both the World of Thedas lore books and they are both stunning and better presented, in terms of absorbing history and background. I just can't read paragraphs of text on the big screen.

ColdRose

Ok, well that was amazing. Shattered Library, such a gorgeous area, so much lore! I played through with my Lavellan who romanced Solas first, and then my Blackwall-romancing Trevelyan who was friends with Solas - very impressive, the differences in dialogue/facial expressions between the two Solas convos. Really great work. Also
Solas confirmed as an absolutely terrific antagonist
. And I loved how characters such as Blackwall and Sera developed over the two year gap.

I know Bioware (DA anyway) has this thing about 'Thedas is the main character' so the next protag will probably be a new one, but man. I really want my Inquisitor (especially Lavellan) to be the one who
confronts him in the end,
with dialogue choices controlled by me. They've clearly put a lot of work into establishing this personal relationship
between a high/low approval/ romanced Inquisitor and Solas - it would be a massive waste imo if they threw that under the bus for the sake of a new protag doing whatever they want and then going 'btw the Inquisitor says hi!'
Hope Bioware can find some kind of compromise that satisfies both the new and returning protag crowds - Geralt/Ciri route maybe, with Inquisitor as Ciri?

Also, yes I also found Crestwood and Frostback basin to be the two best areas in the game in terms of area size/quality content ratio. Though I also liked Emerald Graves for all the lore and dungeons like the Knight's tomb; and I surprised myself by enjoying the Hissing Wastes and all the dwarfy stuff there - I don't mind areas of empty space, as long as there aren't too many of them. Forbidden Oasis was unnecessary, there was enough desert between the Approach and the Wastes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel like I missed something huge with Blackwall by not completing his character quest. He had
a different name
and wasn't selectable in the DLC. I used him for nearly the entire game. Was upsetting to not have him there for the end.
Iron Bull betrayed me too

Ratrat

Does this not have a season pass? Is there a cheap way of getting all the story dlc for PS4 or am I better off waiting for a Game of the Year Edition?

Ushay

So (SPOILER AHEAD)

Iron Bull, whom I was thing was my bro all this time, betrays me and now he's friggin dead. Definitely didn't see that coming lol!

ColdRose

So (SPOILER AHEAD)

Iron Bull, whom I was thing was my bro all this time, betrays me and now he's friggin dead. Definitely didn't see that coming lol!

Well if you have him
stay loyal to the Qun in the main game and sacrifice the chargers, he's now more loyal to the qun than to you. If you save his team and have him become Tal Vashoth, he doesn't betray you :)

Top Bottom