• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Fighters (2.5D fighter, 3v3, BN/Arc System Works, PC/XB1/PS4) announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
I'd probably be more tribal about it if Z ended with Cell. What came after looked great but bummed me out story wise.

All I know is, DBZ and Super ain't a gulf of quality apart, as compared to say, TLA and TLOK. So that's why I'm not "tribal" about it. Just glad to have the characters back.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yea he did and it still hurts.

A shame, i loved the Japanese soundtrack for DB/Z as much as i did falconers soundtrack

I remember watching VHS's of ocean dub's first 3 DBZ movies uncut(which were different from the TV airings if i recall) with the original music and just loving how it was implemented...it also helped that even for VHS, ocean dub's sound mixing on those movies was some kind of sorcery, it really felt like you were in the movies

We've already established this, there is a 10 year time gap between the majin buu saga and the end of Z right? but the ages and the events that transpire do not correlate at all to this 10 year time gap.

Are pan and bra 10 at the end of DBZ? No, yet somehow they were born only a few months after majin buu saga in super, yet at the same time that trunks and goten look exactly the same, even though for pan and bra to line up, it should have been years from majin buu where this stuff started and not months

If they end Super with the end of Z, i'm curious as to how they will do it
Age 774 - Buu arc
Age 778 - Battle of Gods
Age 779 - Resurrection F and Champa Arc
Age 780 - Future Trunks arc and Universe Survival arc
Age 784 - End of Z
Pan and Bra are born in Super in the exact years that were established as their birth years back in the 90s. Goten and Trunks haven't grown, sure, but that's more them just not making new designs for them, not some massive plot hole that retcons the end of Z.

Inuhanyou

Age 774 - Buu arc
Age 778 - Battle of Gods
Age 779 - Resurrection F and Champa Arc
Age 780 - Future Trunks arc and Universe Survival arc
Age 784 - End of Z
Pan and Bra are born in Super in the exact years that were established as their birth years back in the 90s. Goten and Trunks haven't grown, sure, but that's more them just not making new designs for them, not some massive plot hole that retcons the end of Z.

Just say they forgot to make trunks and goten their actual ages through creative amnesia fam, its okay.

All I know is, DBZ and Super ain't a gulf of quality apart, as compared to say, TLA and TLOK. So that's why I'm not "tribal" about it. Just glad to have the characters back.

Until i see an arc as impactful as the saiyan saga, namek saga or cell sagas, that remains to be seen. Nothing up until now has had any real impact or real edge of your seat feelings to it. its like its been going through the motions of what people expect from Dragonball without any of the heart.

Future trunks comes back yet there's been nothing as dramatic as the trunks special, just a rehash of the androids through black and some fusion retconning

Frieza comes back yet its just a rehash of a movie where he nonsensically gains like 1000000x power level in like 2 months and a golden frieza transformation which resolved when blue haired goku and vegeta show up

JimiNutz

Banned
I've never seen a full episode of Dragon Ball Z and know very little about the franchise but I'm interested in this game based on the screenshots alone.

Any news on the fighting system and gameplay? Do we assume that it will be a little more casual friendly than a traditional 2D Fighter?

Inuhanyou

I've never seen a full episode of Dragon Ball Z and know very little about the franchise but I'm interested in this game based on the screenshots alone.

Any news on the fighting system and gameplay? Do we assume that it will be a little more casual friendly than a traditional 2D Fighter?

We have no idea, but my guess is they do expect the fandom to play this game, they don't want another Super dragonball z on their hands

I expect it to be way more complex than budokai 3 but still less complicated than Blazblue or Xrd

Fj0823

Until i see an arc as impactful as the saiyan saga, namek saga or cell sagas, that remains to be seen. Nothing up until now has had any real impact or real edge of your seat feelings to it. its like its been going through the motions of what people expect from Dragonball without any of the heart.

Future trunks comes back yet there's been nothing as dramatic as the trunks special, just a rehash of the androids through black and some fusion retconning

Frieza comes back yet its just a rehash of a movie where he nonsensically gains like 1000000x power level in like 2 months and a golden frieza transformation which resolved when blue haired goku and vegeta show up

There is so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to start...

But I'll try.

Nothing as Dramatic as the Trunks special...
except Trunks watches his mother die at the start of the saga and loses his entire timeline at the end. The only things he gets to keep is his newfound love.

Yeah, nothing dramatic for Trunk's character there

Also you keep using the word rehash,
but it doesn't mean what you think it means. A genocidal "God travelling in time to team up with the future version himself from Trunks timeline, forcing Trunks to bring Goku and Vegeta into his future"
is in no wat a rehash of "robots so strong all Z fighters in the future die except Vegeta's son who travels in time to help the past warriors avoid their fate."

The fusion didn't work correctly in Z, it was never explained why it didn't work, Super explained why it didn't work after Goku specifically asks why it didn't work in Z.

Again that's not a rehash, that's a payoff, ROF sets up Frieza as an insanely strong character trapped in hell, he gets sent back to hell...and you expect that to be it?

If anything,
Frieza returning
validates the events in ROF which where a bit pointless before.

chaosaeon

latest
To me this ^^^ looks like a Naruto fan did some what-if DBZ fan art and it looks terrible imo.
ldbWK_s-200x150.gif

Also changing colors is bad but adding sparks is amazing?
Not amazing or groundbreaking, but this,
d175cba649efd25b71b69c33971670119d00c669_hq.gif

14b63dfff0c4d3da95911782496.gif

Looks a lot better to some of us than this :
HorribleSubs-Dragon-Ball-Super-69-480p.mkv_snapshot_22.53_2016.12.04_03.19.05.jpg

I find blue to look obnoxious. At least SS2 looked like an iteration of a super saiyan and clearly indicated more power than the previous level. We all instantly knew it was the transformation Vegeta and Trunks had been attempting to do. The hair was more static, there was static shocks without even needing an aura. It told you everything you needed to know. Blue tells us it must be better cause it's new and a new color. I don't know what blue was supposed to be but it doesn't look like an iteration of a super saiyan. Blue is just blue, because blue, and it looks like they tried to transform into a popsicle and didn't quite make it all the way. Just not a fan.

NeonZ

hes conveniently super strong because the plot needs to happen I guess
what about everyone else? none of the multi dimension god fighting evil goku nonsense was ever even remotely hinted at.

Why didnt they just make it a continuation?

Toriyama went with the "blank of 10 years" in Battle of Gods because he didn't like how old Kuririn and Bulma, among others, looked in the End of Z epilogue.

I find blue to look obnoxious. At least SS2 looked like an iteration of a super saiyan and clearly indicated more power than the previous level. We all instantly knew it was the transformation Vegeta and Trunks had been attempting to do. The hair was more static, there was static shocks without even needing an aura. It told you everything you needed to know. Blue tells us it must be better cause it's new and a new color. I don't know what blue was supposed to be but it doesn't look like an iteration of a super saiyan. Blue is just blue, because blue, and it looks like they tried to transform into a popsicle and didn't quite make it all the way. Just not a fan.

Aside from that color, Blue has that thick opaque aura, which kind of ties into the explanation mentioned early in Super about how the standard auras are a visual sign of ki leaking.

Puruzi

Banned

It's probably going to be way more complex than the other DBZ games but they'll make it easier than other ASW games

I personally think that SSJB looks better than SSJ2, the aura it has makes it look fantastic. It was the kind of thing I expected when they said we were getting a new form in Battle of Gods, instead of the IMO lackluster SSJG.

Fj0823

Regarding SSB.

Blue is turning on Super Saiyan but with God Ki instead of mortal Ki. God Ki is obviously extremely powerful energy.

It's literally just Super Saiyan 1 but with a higher power output and without the strain SSJ3 puts on the body.

It's so light on the body that you can even stack Kaioken x10 on top of it for even more hax

Also a shot from a gag episode won't ever do it justice

3b423812b13cf4224142baa405b39e83.gif

Goku-et-Vegeta-vs-Black-et-Zamasu-GIF.gif

That's like you trying to sell me Super Saiyan 3 with this

tumblr_o6ew7lj0wT1uuj1vto1_500.gif

HardRojo

I personally think that SSJB looks better than SSJ2, the aura it has makes it look fantastic. It was the kind of thing I expected when they said we were getting a new form in Battle of Gods, instead of the IMO lackluster SSJG.

The RoF outfits really make SS Blue pop and look great, it's a shame they went back to the classic Saiyan armor and gi for Vegeta and Goku.

And I wanted to see an official Vegito design with that outfit :(

LotusHD

Banned

It's all good dumb fun to me personally, just that the DBZ obviously had the edge due to having several iconic moments that I'm nostalgic for. Yes it is better than Super, but if I were to watch it for the first time now, there'd be a lot to criticize.

Village

I like blue, In my brain them channeling different energy is an explanation for why broly is green. He's just channeling different Ki to legendary super saiayan. I kind would like different levels to have different hair colors. Like veritable rainbow of super saiyan

Fj0823

I like blue, In my brain them channeling different energy is an explanation for why broly is green. He's just channeling different Ki to legendary super saiayan. I kind would like different levels to have different hair colors. Like veritable rainbow of super saiyan

Seems the color depends on your Ki,
that's why Zamasu's Black Ki turns pink, the opposite of Goku's White turning Blue

Future trunks comes back yet there's been nothing as dramatic as the trunks special.

That ain't happening due to the tone of both shows. Super is more in line with DB.. things got out of hand once buu was introduced (I loved several aspects of the saga but there's a lot of issues with it) that's why gods are now thrown into the mix to try and "escalate" things which is hard with Goku and vegeta already gods themselves.

death doesn't carry the same weight anymore (I'd argue it never did) but Z made it impactful nevertheless. So I can see why you would hate it if you wanted Super to be like Z. It's a great show regardless.

Regarding SSB.

Blue is turning on Super Saiyan but with God Ki instead of mortal Ki. God Ki is obviously extremely powerful energy.

wtf is god ki and why does it need to be a thing
I remember when super saiyan was a "legend" so when that appeared it actually meant something. Now whenever theres another super saiyan its just like, oh ok.

Goku went from earth citizen, to alien, to god? I cant be the only one who thinks its gotten stupid

Village

To me this ^^^ looks like a Naruto fan did some what-if DBZ fan art and it looks terrible imo.

Naruto characters are thicker in frame and are more human shaped, and have always been actually.

This toriyama new style isn't that weird of an evolution. One, because... he had actually been doing those sorts of characters decades before super in various 1 off manga and dragon quest, but even more so that that. It kinda just seems like toriyama doing a different style of his orginal one, where everyone was short and fat.

Everyone forgets that, before DBZ everyone was short and fat, well most people. Heck even back then you still have skinny short characters

YaarBZ3.jpg

Super just seems like a sleeker skinner version of this style

I remember when super saiyan was a "legend" so when that appeared it actually meant something. Now whenever theres another super saiyan its just like, oh ok.

Goku went from earth citizen, to alien, to god? I cant be the only one who thinks its gotten stupid

It got stupid once you had Trunks and goten flipping the super saiyan switch, so the legend was a joke.

HardRojo

Goten and Trunks got it out of nowhere too. SSG and SSB ain't turning into a god exactly, it's just tapping into god ki to enhance one's power. Though I really shouldn't be bothering to explain stuff, Super haters have decided to hate on the show no matter what happens, that much is clear to me now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
here we all are assuming its going to be basically Guilty Gear with DBZ characters, I truly hope we dont get blindsided with some shitty mechanic. I know the press release said 2.5d and al but I dunno man, I need to see it to believe it :(

here we all are assuming its going to be basically Guilty Gear with DBZ characters, I truly hope we dont get blindsided with some shitty mechanic. I know the press release said 2.5d and al but I dunno man, I need to see it to believe it :(

Extreme botuden is a 2D fighting game made by arc systems.

If anything will they'll be assist? Is it marvel esque ? Or Kof esque with assist.

dlauv

Battle of the Gods' antagonist, a god, wants to fight a "Super Saiyan God": something he saw in a dream. SSB is just an extension or offshoot of that.

When SSJB has good animation behind it, yeah, it looks surprisingly awesome. But sometimes it looks really lame when the animation isn't right on it

LotusHD

Banned

Goten though... Super Saiyan has been a joke for years now.

Village

Super Saiyan was a joke, in DBZ vegeta litterally says to trunks " What is this a super saiyan Bargan sale". They knew it was bullshit from jump

Heck, other shows make fun of it

When you fight link the Vegeta Panel with Super Don Patch ( pictured above ) in jump ultimate stars, he says the exact same line. They know its crazy bullshit and lost the legend of a lot of it.

Super Saiyan was a joke, in DBZ vegeta litterally says to trunks " What is this a super saiyan Bargan sale". They knew it was bullshit from jump

When you fight link the Vegeta Panel with Super Don Patch ( pictured above ) in jump ultimate stars, he says the exact same line. They know its crazy bullshit and lost the legend of a lot of it.

Even when they introduce an interesting design like Beerus with the Egyptian cat theme, they go and make that a joke by now having like Egyptian mice, elephants and clowns o_O

Inuhanyou

That one of the issues with buu saga of course. Every transformation before that mattered

you guys are arguing so hard in an attempt to avoid the uncomfortable reality that i'm just going to straight obliterate you guys when this game comes out

i understand. i'd be avoiding confronting this fact if i were in your guys' position too

Merc_

Super Saiyan stopped being a legend almost immediately after the Freeza arc concluded and it began being handed out like candy to every Saiyan character. I'm not sure why this is only a problem now in the context of Super.

Super Saiyan stopped being a legend almost immediately after the Freeza arc concluded and it began being handed out like candy to every Saiyan character.

I know, its just eclipsed itself even in that regard.
Senzu beans and the Dragonballs themselves got turned into a convenience a long time ago too.

They're not Egyptian, they're just Gods

its pretty clearly the inspiration for his design...

Fj0823

I know, its just eclipsed itself even in that regard.
Senzu beans and the Dragonballs themselves got turned into a convenience a long time ago too.

its pretty clearly the inspiration for his design...

For Beerus and Champa yes, the others have their own inspiration.

jryeje29

Can freaking wait, ive never been good at fighting games nor played any guilty gear games but im up for anything new with dragonball z. Looks good from photos and from what i hear on gaf and such the devs previous games are good.

HardRojo

I'll just make it my priority (regarding this game) to form a team of Super characters only and body people online with that team.
Give me Hit, Goku Black and maybe Beerus or one of the female Saiyans please. Jiren would do too.

Village

That one of the issues with buu saga of course. Every transformation before that mattered

It didn't. Its just experiential , just like the buu saga, you just realized it was when it was more than 2 super saiyan levels. It happened, with goku immortal hermit, then with a sky cat, then with god, then with cosmic super god of one of the 4 corners of the universe, all training is eventually invalidated by magical stronger training. Rarely do things actually come back, it took until super for goku to even think of using kioken during a transformation.

Dragon ball has always been that, it is one of the quintessential infinite power up anime.

Even when they introduce an interesting design like Beerus with the Egyptian cat theme, they go and make that a joke by now having like Egyptian mice, elephants and clowns o_O

...So we pretending all the fuckery that happened in dragon ball doesn't exist, and totally isn't canon. Like sendining rabbits to the moon, or having animal people just living in that world. LIKE THE CAT ONTOP OF THE TOWER. And there being an andriod girl, built YEARS before 17 and 18 stronger than Goku and Vega now. Then there's the ginyu forces, fat buu and a litany of silly shit that exists in that world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom