• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Fighters (2.5D fighter, 3v3, BN/Arc System Works, PC/XB1/PS4) announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Yeah! I was thinking about it last night after posting, and I know it's not the best barometer for what we'll see in the game, but in the art provided, we're shown Frieza, Cell, and Buu, so I'm kinda starting to think my list would cut off at Kid Buu. ASW loves color palette swaps, so I think 17 will make it in as at least a swap for 18 at some point. Like you said, the roster is probably gonna be tight, and will probably focus on Z. I picked 18 since there aren't a lot of females to choose from and 16 for his more unique skill set, given ASW is probably the best dev when it comes to projectiles and special peripherals, they would probably make good use of those rocket arms... I think you're right and I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept it to Z and added on later be it through DLC or successors.

18 has a very feminine moveset, it's virtually impossible to have 17 as a swap, FYI.

Dragon Ball > DBZ Up to Frieza Arc > Dragon Ball Super > Dragon Ball Z Post Frieza Arc > Dragon Ball GT > Dragon Ball Movie Canon > Dragon Ball Evolution

This is very good. This may be the right ranking. If Super can have a few arcs that live up to its current potential, I think it may earn a case to be placed ahead of Z up to Frieza. (spoilers for current Super arc)
Super is just too good right now. Frieza forming an uneasy alliance with Goku is loaded with potential and the scenes they have had together so far have been phenomenal. The interaction between characters, I feel, is better than anything we've ever seen in DB material. 17 and Piccolo's first moment since their fight demonstrates a mutual respect for one another. Roshi having a moment of serious reflection on Korin's tower. 17 getting to know his niece. Tien having a functioning dojo where he trains regular humans, a girl calling back to his DB days shows up.
All this stuff is just so much better character interaction compared to Z era of DB. If Super keeps it up, I have to place it ahead of Z for its return to DB humor, stronger character interaction, better use of the supporting cast.

Slaythe

I mean, if we split Z in arcs, then do the same for Super.

Because Super's start is honestly a disaster.

But it kept on improving and is now better than whatever Z was by the end of Buu for sure.

But it kept on improving and is now better than whatever Z was by the end of Buu for sure.

I agree. Super started really poorly and gradually improved... I feel like the current arc is the first legit good Super arc.

I still don't feel the need to split Super into arcs when I do my ordering since I still prefer every arc of the original manga over it... but I feel like it'll get there soon. The current arc is very promising.

Neoxon

This is very good. This may be the right ranking. If Super can have a few arcs that live up to its current potential, I think it may earn a case to be placed ahead of Z up to Frieza. (spoilers for current Super arc)
Super is just too good right now. Frieza forming an uneasy alliance with Goku is loaded with potential and the scenes they have had together so far have been phenomenal. The interaction between characters, I feel, is better than anything we've ever seen in DB material. 17 and Piccolo's first moment since their fight demonstrates a mutual respect for one another. Roshi having a moment of serious reflection on Korin's tower
All this stuff is just so much better character interaction compared to Z era of DB. If Super keeps it up, I have to place it ahead of Z for its return to DB humor, stronger character interaction, better use of the supporting cast.
I was honestly hoping for a quick rematch between Piccolo & 17, but what we got was just as awesome.

This is fair. And you're right. If we break up Z, Super needs to be broken up.

I was honestly hoping for a quick rematch between Piccolo & 17, but what we got was just as awesome.

Piccolo taking off his headgear and 17 rolling up his sleeve, implying they were ready to fight, only for it to be a show of respect in a handshake was so good

Alienous

I'm struggling to think of a single recognizable move that Android 17 has.

It's hard enough with Android 18, but I think the games have to make things up to flesh out both of their move-sets. But at least Android 18 has her arm-breaker kick come to mind.

Even Doctor Gero seems to have a better basis as a character. Eye lasers, energy absorption grabs.

Android 17 has an energy barrier and... I don't know what else. Really generic ki blasts? A gun he never uses?

When a DB game has a limited roster it just seems that there are far more interesting picks, gameplay-wise.

It's hard enough with Android 18, but I think the games have to make things up to flesh out both of their move-sets. But at least Android 18 has her arm-breaker kick come to mind.

Even Doctor Gero seems to have a better basis as a character. Eye lasers, energy absorption grabs.

Android 17 has an energy barrier and... I don't know what else. Really generic ki blasts? A gun he never uses?

When a DB game has a limited roster it just seems that there are far more interesting picks, gameplay-wise.

Yeah. Maybe they could make use of his gun or something. If they're gonna keep the roster short, it's hard to see him making it.

Slaythe

To quote myself :

He is the only guy with long hair, the only guy with a slender body type, he has great speed (which could be "dodges" in gameplay), uses grappling moves, uses counters, has SICK kicks, the infamous super punch, has a defensive shield ability, and he fights virtually nothing like his sister...

But he's gonna be a boring clone ?

tumblr_ooikn6VJOI1w3p557o1_540.gif

mC91C1U.gif

a5021b9a04d8b875161b91d0dbc02e1a6ce371a5_hq.gif

tumblr_ooivs3aRKt1rnft7io1_500.gif

tumblr_o2gupkcgzf1uuj1vto1_500.gif

tumblr_n669l4ccaY1tb4ryqo1_500.gif

latest

tumblr_oov1kvWofA1sxfvy5o1_500.gif

To quote myself :

He is the only guy with long hair, the only guy with a slender body type, he has great speed (which could be "dodges" in gameplay), uses grappling moves, uses counters, has SICK kicks, the infamous super punch, has a defensive shield ability, and he fights virtually nothing like his sister...

tumblr_ooikn6VJOI1w3p557o1_540.gif

mC91C1U.gif

a5021b9a04d8b875161b91d0dbc02e1a6ce371a5_hq.gif

tumblr_o2gupkcgzf1uuj1vto1_500.gif

tumblr_n669l4ccaY1tb4ryqo1_500.gif

latest

tumblr_oov1kvWofA1sxfvy5o1_500.gif

Well... that's just like C-17... :")
On a more serious tone though, I doubt 17 would be out of the roster. I guess they want it to work 3 by 3. So we're likely getting 16-17-18.

Neoxon

Well... that's just like C-17... :")
On a more serious tone though, I doubt 17 would be out of the roster. I guess they want it to work 3 by 3. So we're likely getting 16-17-18.
I'm not too sure about 16, especially with 17 & 18 having more relevance within the Dragon Ball franchise later down the road. They could have 17-18-Krillin for a similar result (with Krillin & 17 getting along as well as you'd expect in-laws to get along).

Quebaz

His moves in Xenoverse and Super DBZ were rad. Teleporting command grab with blast in the face, jumping kick with 2 routes (Think KoF's Joe's Ougon no Kakato, but with the habilty to choose between 2 dive kicks upon hit for pressure), a boomerang energy disc and his Super Electrc Strike. Add in his barrier and gut punches, you got some solid ideas to work with.

Neoxon

He could be a bit of a mix between Kolin & Chun-Li in terms of him being a counter-based character with tons of kicks.

Neoxon

I have to agree. It needs to have over 25.
While granted, Dragon Ball designs aren't as complicated as Guilty Gear designs to model & get the lighting right for in ASW's UE3 engine, they still have to start from scratch in terms of modeling, animating, & moveset crafting. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a 16-20 character roster.

delSai

I have to agree. It needs to have over 25.

If the selection of characters is good i could live with this even though it would still be weird to go from huge ass rosters of past DB games to 25 but...

As such, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a 16-20 character roster.

This is what i'm expecting as well. Which would definitely hurt my hype for this game.
The problem of having too many characters in your series...

Kick based fighters are always dope so 17 can get in just for that. And why the hell are people here underestimating ASW when it comes to how they can make a character unique?

LotusHD

Banned
People keep saying this, but the vast majority of Super is just Goku and Vegeta shitting on everyone.

They're attempting to rectify this by having a relatively diverse team for the ToP, but I don't really have faith that they'll let the non-Saiyan characters shine.

Hence why I said they're attempting to...

And it's pretty silly to not have faith in it, it'd kind of defeat the whole purpose of doing this tournament arc if they put all that work in for nothing. There'll likely be a scenario where Goku beats the main antagonist or w/e, but at least some of the other characters will get their due. Hell, they're already starting to, with people like Gohan and 17 actually becoming relevant again.

chaosaeon

To quote myself :

And don't forget the flying back bash that levels trunks after Vegeta fights 18. And I think he finished Tien too with a sleeper hold or a headlock of some kind. He's definitely one of my favorites too. I'm sure there's a move or two that could come from the history of trunks movie as well. I loved that Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 3 gave him the double team with 18 that killed future Gohan. I'll never get bored of seeing the two of them do that splitting up from one position flying move either. I doubt they'll let him kick other people's heads off in this game though, lol.

Rutger

Banned
If the selection of characters is good i could live with this even though it would still be weird to go from huge ass rosters of past DB games to 25 but...

This is what i'm expecting as well. Which would definitely hurt my hype for this game.
The problem of having too many characters in your series...

Look on the bright side, characters can be added as DLC later on AND you get the Arcsys guarantee of each character being unique instead of a ton of copied movesets like the typical massive roster DB game!

Sounds like a win win to me.

Takeru

I... I like you.

22588362.gif
To quote myself :

you...I like you too.

Android 17 is such good character, especially in games. People who he's boring clearly hasn't played as him in Dragon Ball games.

delSai

Look on the bright side, characters can be added as DLC later on AND you get the Arcsys guarantee of each character being unique instead of a ton of copied movesets like the typical massive roster DB game!

Sounds like a win win to me.

I never really minded characters sharing moves to be honest. Of course having all unique movesets would be neat tho. I just have to see how many characters will be in the starting roster and how much this will cost. If it's 60€ and 16 characters it'll be hard to get me on board.

Really want this to be awesome, i always loved Dragon Ball and it's games but right now all i can do is wait.

People who he's boring clearly hasn't played as him in Dragon Ball games.

I'll be honest, I haven't played with him since Burst Limit... :3 But I don't think he's a boring character! 17 is great. Though I admit I was being a bit disrespectful thinking of him as a palette swap. I don't care how he gets in, but I want him in just as much as I want Super Buu or Ultimate Gohan!

Rutger

Banned
I never really minded characters sharing moves to be honest. Of course having all unique movesets would be neat tho. I just have to see how many characters will be in the starting roster and how much this will cost. If it's 60€ and 16 characters it'll be hard to get me on board.

Really want this to be awesome, i always loved Dragon Ball and it's games but right now all i can do is wait.

To each their own I guess.

I'll take a well thought out roster over a massive one with a ton of copied stuff any day, the roster size can always be improved with expansions. (and 16 is not bad starting size for a new fighting game at all, a single character takes months to make)

Though I do think there's a good chance it will be slightly larger than the average first Arcsys game, if only because of the brand power and the extra funding it could bring.

Takeru

Yeah! I was thinking about it last night after posting, and I know it's not the best barometer for what we'll see in the game, but in the art provided, we're shown Frieza, Cell, and Buu, so I'm kinda starting to think my list would cut off at Kid Buu. ASW loves color palette swaps, so I think 17 will make it in as at least a swap for 18 at some point. Like you said, the roster is probably gonna be tight, and will probably focus on Z. I picked 18 since there aren't a lot of females to choose from and 16 for his more unique skill set, given ASW is probably the best dev when it comes to projectiles and special peripherals, they would probably make good use of those rocket arms... I think you're right and I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept it to Z and added on later be it through DLC or successors.

I think if Extreme Butoden is anything to go by, then this could be a possibly list?

Goku
Goku (Super Saiyan)
Goku (Super Saiyan God)
Goku (SSGSS)
Krillin
Teen Gohan
Teen Gohan (Super Saiyan 2) (incorrectly labeled Super Saiyan in-game)
Adolescent Gohan (Super Saiyan)
Ultimate Gohan
Piccolo
Raditz
Nappa
Vegeta
Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
Captain Ginyu
Frieza (Final Form)
Future Trunks (Super Saiyan)
Android 18
Cell (Perfect Form)
Majin Buu
Kid Buu
Gotenks (Super Saiyan)
Beerus
Bardock
Broly (Legendary Super Saiyan)

Some of the changes I would make is removed normal Teen Gohan and just add SSJ2. Probably add Recoome and Android 16. Perhaps Gotenks SSJ3 instead. I hope this doesn't have story mode so just remove Raditz and Nappa, and add Satan and Master Roshi.

Not gonna lie though, remove some characters and replace em and Ultimate Battle 22's roster was nice.
1V3GqOxl.jpg

Only bringing up U22 because its roster size matches the typical competitive fighter.

And haha, don't worry about it. I want Super Buu and Mystic Gohan in as well.

Uraizen

Banned
To quote myself :

So you want a DB variation of Chipp? I can dig it.

Super is just too good right now. Frieza forming an uneasy alliance with Goku is loaded with potential and the scenes they have had together so far have been phenomenal. The interaction between characters, I feel, is better than anything we've ever seen in DB material. 17 and Piccolo's first moment since their fight demonstrates a mutual respect for one another. Roshi having a moment of serious reflection on Korin's tower. 17 getting to know his niece. Tien having a functioning dojo where he trains regular humans, a girl calling back to his DB days shows up.

I have to agree with this assessment. It's why I really hope they look at Super as much as Z for this game, not for new Super characters like Hit, but so that they can actually remember things like Piccolo still being a badass and not the jobber he was in Z, or Krillin not being a joke character and actually being almost as capable as Goku (just not as powerful), etc.

I think if Extreme Butoden is anything to go by, then this could be a possibly list?

Some of the changes I would make is removed normal Teen Gohan and just add SSJ2. Probably add Recoome and Android 16. Perhaps Gotenks SSJ3 instead. I hope this doesn't have story mode so just remove Raditz and Nappa, and add Satan and Master Roshi.

Not gonna lie though, remove some characters and replace em and Ultimate Battle 22's roster was nice.
1V3GqOxl.jpg

Only bringing up U22 because its roster size matches the typical competitive fighter.

And haha, don't worry about it. I want Super Buu and Mystic Gohan in as well.

That would be a very nice list! UB22 actually does have a good template for a competitive roster. It's the one and only takeaway from the game! Man, Roshi would be a great addition. It feels like he's the most forgotten of the cast, but in a game like this, I can absolutely see him being on the final roster. There are some big question marks as far as the story is concerned: will this game have a traditional story mode, or will it simply be arcade-style set-ups that introduce the characters with short dialogues that callback to the manga/anime? If it's the latter, then we don't have to worry about wasting time with Raditz and Nappa, to your point, but we shall see ...because if this game does have a story mode, then maybe the roster will be deeper than some of us are anticipating! It'll be interesting. The potential of the game itself is what's most exciting. ASW's take on DBZ: where can they take it (DLC, expansions, etc), how will the styles mesh, and could their game be the future for Dragon Ball fighting games?

Another thing that is so exciting is ASW's art direction applied to the Dragon Ball universe, most notably, the stages and settings. I think the original BlazBlue contained about 12 stages, yeah? What do you think about that? Think we're looking at more or less for DBF?!

TreIII

Because ASW is about to get the recognition they deserve and it is glorious.

Amen to that.

I will keep swearing up and down that all it would take for the likes of Arc, French Bread and Examu, is that they need to get hooked up with IPs that would give them better visibility worldwide. Now that Arc is looking to do it, they look to be on their way. Hoping the others take notes!

cordy

Banned
ASW is like the AJ Styles of fighting game companies. It took them a while to make it to the big show but now that they're here they're gonna wreck shop.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom