• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Fighters (2.5D fighter, 3v3, BN/Arc System Works, PC/XB1/PS4) announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generous roster expectations:
  1. Goku
  2. Gohan (teen)
  3. Vegeta
  4. Piccolo
  5. Krillin
  6. Tien
  7. Ginyu
  8. Frieza (final form)
  9. Future Trunks
  10. Android 16
  11. Android 18
  12. Cell
  13. Mr. Satan
  14. Videl
  15. Great Saiyaman
  16. Majin Buu
  17. Gotenks
  18. Vegito
  19. Kid Buu
  20. Beerus
  21. Whis
  22. Golden Frieza
  23. Black

DLC expectations:
  1. Bardock (pre-order bonus)
  2. Cooler
  3. Broly
  4. Janemba
  5. Tapion

My team-of-3: Piccolo, Videl, Whis.

Not really, but it just hit me today that they hate it beyond reason, I wasn't aware of that.

I wouldn't say they hate it beyond reason.

For me everything up until the end of the Goku black arc has been either cool or just okay but I cannot get into this arc at all the best part so far for me was Goku Vs Gohan everything else is either meh or garbage.

On topic: I wonder how many GT characters they are gonna add.... they are probably just gonna stick with the ssj4s

Naruto characters are thicker in frame and are more human shaped, and have always been actually.

This toriyama new style isn't that weird of an evolution. One, because... he had actually been doing those sorts of characters decades before super in various 1 off manga and dragon quest, but even more so that that. It kinda just seems like toriyama doing a different style of his orginal one, where everyone was short and fat.

Everyone forgets that, before DBZ everyone was short and fat, well most people. Heck even back then you still have skinny short characters

YaarBZ3.jpg

Super just seems like a sleeker skinner version of this style

No one is forgetting, it's just that you guys keep thinking a gag manga and DBZ (which isn't necessarily serious, but waaaay more so than Dr. Slump) should have the same art styles

Village

No one is forgetting, it's just that you guys keep thinking a gag manga and DBZ (which isn't necessarily serious, but waaaay more so than Dr. Slump) should have the same art styles

... But it did.

Dragon ball had the same art style as Doctor slump for like a hot minute. And then it eventually evolved into what it is, it just evovled again.

Or are we pretending dragon ball didn't happen.

cordy

Banned
Don't expect so many characters. I'd be happy if we get the basic cast of heroes and villains from the DBZ era.

That's what I expect, just the Z era for now with idk Broly as a preorder chracter or maybe 1 Super character as preorder. Super Butoden came with what like 25 characters counting a preorder. Given this is on consoles with a larger budget I'd say around 20-26 is good.

...So we pretending all the fuckery that happened in dragon ball doesn't exist, and totally isn't canon. Like sendining rabbits to the moon, or having animal people just living in that world. LIKE THE CAT ONTOP OF THE TOWER. And there being an andriod girl, built YEARS before 17 and 18 stronger than Goku and Vega now. Then there's the ginyu forces, fat buu and a litany of silly shit that exists in that world.

actually i was glad they brought back an anthro villain type character
the wacky stuff is what made dragonball imo

I was commenting on how hes no longer as unique when theres a bunch of clones

Village

I was commenting on how hes no longer as unique when theres a bunch of clones
They aren't clones. they are literal different realities?

Does super man become less special because there are multiple different superman accross multiple realities? Does any super hero, this isn't specific to dragon ball, and has litterally been happening for decades in marvel and DC comics... which is something Toriyama does not hide he is a fan off

Do you not like those too?

HardRojo

A team consisting of Goku, Bardock and Goku Black would be very interesting lol. I hope they at least try to put some costumes for characters, like Saiyan armor Goku, torn gi Goku, tank top ponytail Trunks, Majin Vegeta, Great Saiyaman Gohan (with not cape nor glasses) and more.

They aren't clones. they are literal different realities?

Does super man become less special because there are multiple different superman accross multiple realities? Does any super hero, this isn't specific to dragon ball, and has litterally been happening for decades in marvel and DC comics... which is something Toriyama does not hide he is a fan off

Do you not like those too?

except basically everyone in Dragonball is now superman, flying around with extreme speed and power

when everyone is super, no one is :p

Village

except basically everyone in Dragonball is now superman, flying around with extreme speed and power

Well no, they are all just super ,fighting other super people. I like that more than just one guy being the coolest and the strongest , and I always will. Because the bad version of that, is just SAO and a litany of self insert fanfiction, and through a tangential relation , the state of sonic the hedgehog right now.

I will always take a bunch of people get to be cool and do cool shit, over 1 guy gets to be cool and do cool shit most of the time. That doesn't mean they aren't acceptions, for me personally I like it when there are more characters with their own stuff

Does Naruto take away from itself by just having a bunch of ninjas? I don't think it does

which is really sad, being the best part of the whole Dragon Ball series

Whoah , I don't know about that.

But its really good and charming, best though. I like Z waaaayy too much forthat

LotusHD

Banned

Nah, in DBZ, if the protagonist wasn't a Saiyan, they're basically irrelevant. That's another thing I like about DBS, in that it is at least attempting to fix that somewhat.

Puruzi

Banned
Whoah , I don't know about that.

But its really good and charming, best though. I like Z waaaayy too much forthat

It's the best. It had actual good fights instead of the fist and kick clashes ------> energy attack that Z has and the whole cast was relevant. I'm not really trying to change any minds so it's fine if you like Z more but OG Ball can't be topped for me

You mean north american fans

Dragon Ball is VERY high regarded here in Latin America

Vamos a buscar las esferas del dragón 8 DB and Saint Seiya is like a religion for some.

Western I mean Americans.

I was born in the us but I got to witness a lot of animes growing up since I lived abroad in the Caribbean for some years.

Fj0823

Is it? I dont know around here (Perú) many that really care about it. DBZ can be their religion, but nothing else really matters to them.

Its pretty popular in México,Colombia, Costa Rica and Panamá at least. (Places I know people from)

Z is king, but everyone remembers the goo ol' days of Goku,Yamcha,Krillin and Bulma's boobs

HardRojo

Is it? I dont know around here (Perú) many that really care about it. DBZ can be their religion, but nothing else really matters to them.

Hey there fellow Peruvian! People my age (26) and older grew up with OG DB and Z, but if I had to say, I guess most people remember Z very dearly, while having some cloudy memories regarding OG DB. I mean, DB is highly regarded, that much is true, but most people probably like Z a lot more according to my very scientific-100% confidence level-based on own perception statistical study.

Fj0823

Hey there fellow Peruvian! People my age (26) and older grew up with OG DB and Z, but if I had to say, I guess most people remember Z very dearly, while having some cloudy memories regarding OG DB. I mean, DB is highly regarded, that much is true, but most people probably like Z a lot more according to my very scientific-100% confidence level-based on own perception statistical study.

This.

You will never ever see a Latin American say that Dragon Ball is unneeded or something best ignored just because Z "is the cool one" like some of you American heathens.

cireza

That's pretty much the exact same situation in France, where we got Dragon Ball Z anime series when we were kids, thanks to the "Club Dorothée" (which was a french show with animators and lots of different japanese anime series, bought, censured and translated for very cheap by the french production company).

Fj0823

wtf is god ki and why does it need to be a thing
I remember when super saiyan was a "legend" so when that appeared it actually meant something. Now whenever theres another super saiyan its just like, oh ok.

Goku went from earth citizen, to alien, to god? I cant be the only one who thinks its gotten stupid

It was introduced in Z. So it's been a thing for a while

Do people only watch Dragon Ball for the fights and never pay attention to the d
dialogue?

Bowl0l

It was introduced in Z. So it's been a thing for a while

Do people only watch Dragon Ball for the fights and never pay attention to the d
dialogue?
Could you provide a source for your claim? I'm very sure that in all 43 volumes of DB before Super, there is no mention of God Ki.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
it just makes the iconic scene with future trunks cutting him down seem kind of a joke when hes back yet again

Ok and Goku turning into a Super Saiyan after seeing his friend get killed seems kind of a joke after some shit kid comes out of nowhere and just is a Super Saiyan.

Sami+

What toei did back then with their manga adapted anime series(this includes series like sailor moon) is take an established property and build on it to great results.

Even though i read the manga a long time ago, i don't respect it in the exact same way that i do the DB/DBZ anime adaptions and movie series. They took something that was pretty small and made it big and expansive, and even though Toriyama did come up with some of those ideas and designs, there's no way to pick and chose what belongs to the experience

I guess it stands to reason that i did not finish kai and only watch super out of obligation to my previous years of fandom to the series, even though it makes me mad almost every episode for various reasons

I feel the exact opposite of this lol - I grew up with Dragon Ball via the games and reading the manga at Borders when my mom took me to the mall, haha. I'll never forget the first time I got to watch a full episode of Z on TV, since we didn't have cable for all the time I was into it.

Airing at midnight on Toonami (or Adult Swim I don't remember), I was 10 or 11 so I had to beg my parents to let me stay up that late on a school night. They finally caved, I had the whole living room to myself, made some popcorn and sat back to watch my first episode of this series I LOVED and see whatever manga moment I enjoyed come to life

Literally the entire fucking episode was Trunks going ascended SSJ to fight Cell. 30 minutes of screaming, muscles growing, rocks breaking, waves, "wow he's so strong is that trunks", and commercials. I genuinely don't think I've ever been more crushingly disappointed by anything in my life. Thank God for Kai because Z the anime straight up ruined the source material. 😒

Nah, in DBZ, if the protagonist wasn't a Saiyan, they're basically irrelevant. That's another thing I like about DBS, in that it is at least attempting to fix that somewhat.

People keep saying this, but the vast majority of Super is just Goku and Vegeta shitting on everyone.

They're attempting to rectify this by having a relatively diverse team for the ToP, but I don't really have faith that they'll let the non-Saiyan characters shine.

Village

It's the best. It had actual good fights instead of the fist and kick clashes ------> energy attack that Z has and the whole cast was relevant. I'm not really trying to change any minds so it's fine if you like Z more but OG Ball can't be topped for me

Dragon ball z is hype as fuck, its I like it better.

To give a more... educated answer. Dragon Ball is, cool. Its a cool thing with fun stories. Dragon Ball Z " I can literally see how this influenced a myriad of mediums" . Dragon ball is great, but its like part 1 and 2 of jojo for me its fine. But then you get to part 3 and 4 and go " oh I see how this influenced all things that came after this, this shit was a forced to be reckoned with "

Jarate

Banned
Dragon Ball > DBZ Up to Frieza Arc > Dragon Ball Super > Dragon Ball Z Post Frieza Arc > Dragon Ball GT > Dragon Ball Movie Canon > Dragon Ball Evolution

cordy

Banned
DB was actually playing in the US in the mid-90s. If you got up early enough, you'd see the Ocean dub on UPN I believe. It was then canceled. DBZ was shown on Fox very very early on Saturday mornings sometime after DB was canceled. I specifically remember the episode where Goku and Piccolo went to fight Raditz. Mind you, this isn't when DB blew up.

Around 1998-2000 is when DBZ started blowing up in the US on CN. From that point on, it's history.

chaosaeon

I like the explanation for the color behind Blue, and I could live with the aura too as in motion it looks more like blue fire than a typical aura. But the hair color I think is what bugs me. I think I'd have liked it a lot more if their hair had changed shape, but actually stayed black and had dark blue tones where they'd normally use grey or white to shade. Even white hair actually. I just find the color they used a bit too loud, like I wished they used less saturation or something.

Dragon Ball > DBZ Up to Frieza Arc > Dragon Ball Super > Dragon Ball Z Post Frieza Arc > Dragon Ball GT > Dragon Ball Movie Canon > Dragon Ball Evolution
Dragon Ball is a lot of fun, but even it begins to succumb to DBZ's failings near the end. I'm probably biased, but I consider the Android/Cell sagas to be the peak of Dragon Ball. Great villains, fun time travel shenanigans, hype moments. Tien, Piccolo, and even Krillin to a lesser extent get some time to shine. Namek has some great stuff, but it really gets to the point of "Are they STILL on Namek?" Whereas every chunk of Androids/Cell is great.

Plus I'm an unashamed Trunks of 17/18 fanboy. Played the shit out of all 3 of them in Budokai 1. I hope DBZ Trunks makes it in and not DBS Trunks. Hes way too skinny

Takeru

Generous roster expectations:

1. My team-of-3: Piccolo, Videl, Whis.

1. I wouldn't exclude Android 17, especially with the latest arc. Though he was already epic in Z.

But tbf, I hope they don't include movie characters or Super, at least for this entry. (This wouldn't exclude C17 ofc.)

I hope this game only has 20 characters or so. Not anything above that but not anything less. At least 15 for a first entry is also acceptable.

Slaythe

I wouldn't exclude Android 17, especially with the latest arc. Though he was already epic in Z.

But tbf, I hope they don't include movie characters or Super, at least for this entry. (This wouldn't exclude C17 ofc.)

I hope this game only has 20 characters or so. Not anything above that but not anything less. At least 15 for a first entry is also acceptable.

I... I like you.

22588362.gif

I'll just make it my priority (regarding this game) to form a team of Super characters only and body people online with that team.
Give me Hit, Goku Black and maybe Beerus or one of the female Saiyans please. Jiren would do too.

My priority is to rep humans/lesser used Z fighters. But I can't do a team without a clear powerhouse. So right now I'm planning on a team of 17/Yamcha/Tien (assuming they all make it in). I may swap Goku in for 17's place for some variety and just because Goku is really entertaining in Super

I wouldn't exclude Android 17, especially with the latest arc. Though he was already epic in Z.

Yeah! I was thinking about it last night after posting, and I know it's not the best barometer for what we'll see in the game, but in the art provided, we're shown Frieza, Cell, and Buu, so I'm kinda starting to think my list would cut off at Kid Buu. ASW loves color palette swaps, so I think 17 will make it in as at least a swap for 18 at some point. Like you said, the roster is probably gonna be tight, and will probably focus on Z. I picked 18 since there aren't a lot of females to choose from and 16 for his more unique skill set, given ASW is probably the best dev when it comes to projectiles and special peripherals, they would probably make good use of those rocket arms... I think you're right and I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept it to Z and added on later be it through DLC or successors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom