• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Kai Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Eiji said:
OT but what DBGT dub was shown on Toonami when it debuted in the UK 6+ years ago?

It had different voices compared to the Funi version I've seen, I mostly remember SSJ4 Goku's voice, Baby's voice and Omega Shenrons voice which was very deep.
Ocean dub if I recall

FreeMufasa

Andrex said:
I don't begrudge Kai for not having new animation. The old animation, even if it was 20+ years old, still holds up decently today. And considering Toei, they'd still go ultra cheap on the re-animation (lol), so we'd end up with quality like the redrawn scenes in Kai, which are downright horrible. So I'm decently satisfied they didn't do that.

Which scenes were redrawn for Kai?

Eiji said:
OT but what DBGT dub was shown on Toonami when it debuted in the UK 6+ years ago?

It had different voices compared to the Funi version I've seen, I mostly remember SSJ4 Goku's voice, Baby's voice and Omega Shenrons voice which was very deep.

Yeah it's one of the reasons I didn't like it so much before. Everyone sounded different, completely different. I think thats why I liked it more when i rewatched it recently (Japanese dub). i went from Z straight to GT and it felt connected instead of something seperate.

I think I remember hearing Ocean dubbed it years back.

Big One

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
So um what would have happened if all the Namekians just combined? They probably could have taken Frieza right?
The better question is why didn't Tien just do the multi-form technique and continuously fuse with himself with both potara and fusion dance till he got just as powerful as Goku.

Takao

Banned
Eiji said:

In UK, the Calgary voiced Blue Water dub was used.

Acting isn't great, and the masters are from the French, but at least it kept the original score, and had a very straight translation...

Oblivion said:
I wish Kirby Morrow wouldn't do Goku anymore. He's a decent VA, but there are better, more suitable people to voice Goku.

Lee Tockar doing Freeza sounds awesome, however. Loved his Vile in the Megaman cartoon.

Kirby Morrow won't be Goku in the Ocean dub of Kai (he was only Goku in the Boo saga anyways). He mentioned that the casting director called him "Too cool for Goku".

Khold said:
He did the early movie dubs right? (Before Schemel or whatever his name stepped in during the Namek saga in the first run?)

I remember in the Tree of Life movie when he's talking to his lookalike guy and oddly shouts "My NAME is goKUUU!" Always laugh at that.

edit: Hmm, seems like Sean also did Tree of Life, maybe I'm misremembering..

As mentioned prior, the first 3 movies received Ocean dubs. Later on Funimation would redub them with their cast.

jaxword said:
Who wouldn't be happy with that?

The only things we have now are fanmanga...

Is it Fanmanga if it's official:

79551862.jpg

Note: This is from Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock Chapter 2, a 3 chapter manga series currently running in V-Jump.

Takao said:
In UK, the Calgary voiced Blue Water dub was used.

Acting isn't great, and the masters are from the French, but at least it kept the original score, and had a very straight translation...

Kirby Morrow won't be Goku in the Ocean dub of Kai (he was only Goku in the Boo saga anyways). He mentioned that the casting director called him "Too cool for Goku".

As mentioned prior, the first 3 movies received Ocean dubs. Later on Funimation would redub them with their cast.

79551862.jpg

Note: This is from Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock Chapter 2, a 3 chapter manga series currently running in V-Jump.

Kid Freeza?

Big One said:
The better question is why didn't Tien just do the multi-form technique and continuously fuse with himself with both potara and fusion dance till he got just as powerful as Goku.

The multi-form technique (see Cell games) divides up the fighting power amongst the forms. Re-fusing would not increase power at all.

Takao

Banned
Andrex said:
Various short sequences. They're hard to miss and look awful.

If you read that article I just posted, you'll find out why they were redrawn (but not why they were redrawn in the Philippines).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Takao said:
If you read that article I just posted, you'll find out why they were redrawn (but not why they were redrawn in the Philippines).

I am reading that, but the "why" was never the issue, the quality was.

Big One

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
The multi-form technique (see Cell games) divides up the fighting power amongst the forms. Re-fusing would not increase power at all.
Yeah but the multiplier would still work in the long run, for both forms of fusion.
Andrex said:
Various short sequences. They're hard to miss and look awful.
Huh? The redrawn scenes are just the original scenes made to look better and cleaner. How is it "awful" by any means? Unless you're referring to the special effects they added to some scenes

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The colors and shading are off. I think the colors in general are darker. Whatever the case it's very jarring.

I really tried to like the redrawn stuff too. :(

Big One

Banned
Andrex said:
The colors and shading are off. I think the colors in general are darker. Whatever the case it's very jarring.

I really tried to like the redrawn stuff too. :(
The colors are darker but that doesn't really make them inheritably bad. Matter of fact they look a LOT better than the originals when it comes to resolution and is the best way to restore the series in HD.

The problem with Kai is that it isn't entirely like this. The other scenes in comparison are blurry messes by every means, which is just sad.

Personally I wish either TOEI will redraw the entire series, in it's original aspect ratio, or just remake the series for Bluray. But TOEI is a shitty company so this won't happen.

jaxword

Takao said:

79551862.jpg

Ho ho, I didn't know the Bardock chapter was out. Is there a translation anywhere?

jaxword

Big One said:
X did translations for both chapters, but there's no scanlations yet unfortunately.

Oh, too bad. I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

Hm, you appear to be grey now, what an odd thing to get banned for. Is talking about [those types of translations] bannable?

Acerac

Banned
The DBM pages confuse me as I try to read it like a typical manga but realize I'm going backwards.

It wouldn't throw me if all of DB wasn't done in the classical format.

Takao

Banned
It's actually kind of crazy that no one's touched Episode of Bardock. A month later and the only scans of chapter 1 are some really poorly done yellowed out ones.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Takao said:

Who's gonna play Goku?

Takao

Banned
New Dragon Ball Heroes ad time:

LORD Slug?!! Freeza has a family?!!!

Oblivion said:
Who's gonna play Goku?

That information isn't in public knowledge, in fact this dub has been very, very hush hush. I actually got a message from an agent asking me to take down an article on my blog relating to it. :(

M.D said:
I'm not following this thread but wait.. Am I seeing posts about a possible new DBZ anime? :O

No, lol. There's a new short manga series running (Episode of Bardock), as well as a alternate retelling in Dragon Ball SD, but nothing more than that.

Kai's been over since April, and I can't see a new television series in the immediate future.

Anth0ny

Big One said:
Huh? The redrawn scenes are just the original scenes made to look better and cleaner. How is it "awful" by any means? Unless you're referring to the special effects they added to some scenes

In case anyone actually thinks this:

20atqwg.jpg

The redrawn scenes are legit worse. The loss of grain makes the frame look all fucked up.

Takao

Banned
So the new BD Z sets will be 4:3, which makes me wonder... is Funimation planning their own Kai version of Boo? They'll now have 1080p 4:3 masters of Boo, they have the Kikuchi soundtrack to use, and they'll want to feed the CW4kids, and Nicktoons once Cell ends.

They have the materials, but will they use it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can see them doing it. But I can't see it having the same success as Kai if the broadcast version of the Buu saga isn't condensed like Kai is. Even casual viewers will notice the action grinding to a crawl.

Also if it doesn't re-use the Kai name or opening I can see it causing a little confusion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think it's somewhat more likely that Nicktoons or Cartoon Network get this new "Level x.x" series and re-airs the series in its entirety. DBZ Uncut failed in 2005, but DBZ Kai has proven the series still has some clout in America.

hirokazu

Anth0ny said:
In case anyone actually thinks this:

20atqwg.jpg

The redrawn scenes are legit worse. The loss of grain makes the frame look all fucked up.
I'm no fan of the series, but I don't see what the problem is in that comparison? Unless you're talking about the contrast between redrawn scenes and remaster scenes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hirokazu said:
I'm no fan of the series, but I don't see what the problem is in that comparison? Unless you're talking about the contrast between redrawn scenes and remaster scenes.

It's hard to tell when the pics are resized so small but the redrawn parts are noticeably way too clean, and I don't think the style is so hot either. Look at the differences between Goku's head in the first pics, it's obviously not 1:1.

Anth0ny

Takao said:
So the new BD Z sets will be 4:3, which makes me wonder... is Funimation planning their own Kai version of Boo? They'll now have 1080p 4:3 masters of Boo, they have the Kikuchi soundtrack to use, and they'll want to feed the CW4kids, and Nicktoons once Cell ends.

They have the materials, but will they use it?

If this was a couple of years ago, I'd say "FUCK FUNIMATION THEY'D RUIN MAH DRAGON BALL".

But now... I can't see them doing any worse a job then Toei. I'd like to see an abridged version of the Boo saga, filler really slows that arc down.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Hey can somebody tell me, does the original DB have a great amount of filler? Or is it pretty true to the manga?

Takao

Banned
Andrex said:
I can see them doing it. But I can't see it having the same success as Kai if the broadcast version of the Buu saga isn't condensed like Kai is. Even casual viewers will notice the action grinding to a crawl.

Also if it doesn't re-use the Kai name or opening I can see it causing a little confusion.

Funimation has done in house editing for Dragon Ball in the past ("The History of Dragon Ball Z, or heck they can send the editing to Ocean (which is what they've done for the Nicktoons visual edits). They did make that "World of Dragon Ball Z" special ages ago.

erlim said:
Hey can somebody tell me, does the original DB have a great amount of filler? Or is it pretty true to the manga?

There's very little, and what there is doesn't hurt the show.

D-Pad

It's Buu.

Is there anyway besides DVD (if even that) that we can see the uncut verison of Kai? Because nicktoons is cutting every punch and blow to protect the little kiddies.

Takao

Banned
D-Pad said:
It's Buu.

Is there anyway besides DVD (if even that) that we can see the uncut verison of Kai? Because nicktoons is cutting every punch and blow to protect the little kiddies.

His name is Boo. It comes from a pun on Cinderella - Bibbidi, Bobbidi, Boo.

Only legal way to watch "uncut" Kai (which is an oxymoron since Kai's violence is edited from Z in every language) is on DVD and Blu-Ray. Funimation announced they'll stream the show eventually, but they're currently using their 2007 Z Masters.

Desmond said:
Could Funimation fund the Kai version of Buu? I remember 4kids payed TOEI for more Ultimate Muscle.

I have been theorizing that Funimation might do it themselves. They're making an HD 4:3 film print of Z (which is the basis of editing with Kai). They have the score any Toei produced Kai version of Boo would use, thanks to Yamamoto's plagiarism, and will need something to fill the void once Cell ends on Nicktoons, and the CW (Both Networks where the show does extremely well).

Desmond

Takao said:

Only legal way to watch "uncut" Kai (which is an oxymoron since Kai's violence is edited from Z in every language) is on DVD and Blu-Ray. Funimation announced they'll stream the show eventually, but they're currently using their 2007 Z Masters.

I have been theorizing that Funimation might do it themselves. They're making an HD 4:3 film print of Z (which is the basis of editing with Kai). They have the score any Toei produced Kai version of Boo would use, thanks to Yamamoto's plagiarism, and will need something to fill the void once Cell ends on Nicktoons, and the CW (Both Networks where the show does extremely well).
I wonder what they'd do for an OP

heres hoping for some reason they dub We Gotta Power. If only they had the JSAT licence they could use the redrawn CHAL-A-HEAD-CHA-LA

Takao

Banned
There's nothing stopping them from just using Dragon Soul, and Kokoro No Hane's animations and getting Toei to animate some Boo related frames. They'd probably sent it (like the rest of Kai) to the Philippines anyways.

FreeMufasa

Andrex said:
Somewhat of a plothole I just thought of:

When Goku was just sitting around on Kami's tower waiting for Vegeta and Trunks to come out of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, he instant transmissions to pick up Tien and Piccolo from form 2 Cell.

My question is, why didn't he instant transmission Android 18 to like Pluto or New Namek or something until they defeat Cell?

There are lots of moments like that where a hero (or enemy) could have done something that would have ended a fight instantly.

One I don't get is when Gotenks was fighting Boo in the time chamber, why did it show the people on the outisde doing things as if a lot of time had passed there. Judging by how much they showed you'd think Gotenks and Boo were fighting for months. Just something I thought of. I'd have thought as soon as the door closed, Boo would have came out through the rip.

jaxword

FreeMufasa said:
There are lots of moments like that where a hero (or enemy) could have done something that would have ended a fight instantly.

One I don't get is when Gotenks was fighting Boo in the time chamber, why did it show the people on the outisde doing things as if a lot of time had passed there. Judging by how much they showed you'd think Gotenks and Boo were fighting for months. Just something I thought of. I'd have thought as soon as the door closed, Boo would have came out through the rip.

Toriyama screwed up the space/time mechanics. He's always been a bit careless that way with details.

D-Pad

Takao said:

Thanks for that.

And I get the pun, but his name is spelled with two u's, not o's.

Rapstah

The door is destroyed though, perharps Boo's rift is unstable and leads to the wrong time.

EDIT: And LOL, I checked Boo/Buu's wiki page for his Japanese name and under "dub names" this was listed:

Monster (Albanian Dub)

That's almost as bad as Turles being called Raditz in the Swedish dub of that movie. He was also blue from what I remember although that makes no sense, why would they recolour someone for a dub?

Takao

Banned
D-Pad said:
Thanks for that.

And I get the pun, but his name is spelled with two u's, not o's.

His name can be translated as "Boo" from Japanese, and that's how Viz's manga treats his name (though Viz adds "Djin" prefix to him).

Rapstah

Takao said:
His name can be translated as "Boo" from Japanese, and that's how Viz's manga treats his name (though Viz adds "Djin" prefix to him).
Japanese is limited in that way. His name pretty obviously is meant to be Djinn, as in the Arabic word for "spirit", and "Boo", as in the English scare word that finishes the stupid Cinderella rhyme. Most other pun names are at least corrected if not translated outright in the anime at least.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Takao said:

I've been wondering lately just how well, do we have any solid numbers?

Rapstah said:
That's almost as bad as Turles being called Raditz in the Swedish dub of that movie. He was also blue from what I remember although that makes no sense, why would they recolour someone for a dub?

Nwm4g.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom