• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Kai Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
The repeats of Kai on the CW4Kids have been pulling in roughly 300k viewers a week. Nicktoons ratings are lower, but supposedly some of the better for that network.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That seems about right, Nicktoons is sort of a new network to most people and it's trying to make a name for itself now.

I wonder how 300k compares to other shows.

Takao

Banned
Andrex said:
That seems about right, Nicktoons is sort of a new network to most people and it's trying to make a name for itself now.

I wonder how 300k compares to other shows.

300k would make it the most watched anime series in North America if I do my cable conversions correctly.

FreeMufasa said:
There are lots of moments like that where a hero (or enemy) could have done something that would have ended a fight instantly.

One I don't get is when Gotenks was fighting Boo in the time chamber, why did it show the people on the outisde doing things as if a lot of time had passed there. Judging by how much they showed you'd think Gotenks and Boo were fighting for months. Just something I thought of. I'd have thought as soon as the door closed, Boo would have came out through the rip.
I got a better one. When Goku Instant Transmissioned Cell to King Kai. Why didn't he just teleport back to Earth? He had plenty of time to Save King Kai and the rest of the group as well.

kuYuri

Crakatak187 said:
I got a better one. When Goku Instant Transmissioned Cell to King Kai. Why didn't he just teleport back to Earth? He had plenty of time to Save King Kai and the rest of the group as well.
Even if Goku did that, the results wouldn't change much... Cell would still regenerate, return and kill Trunks (or somebody), and Gohan would still be the only one who could stand a chance against him.

D-Pad

Strider2K99 said:
Even if Goku did that, the results wouldn't change much... Cell would still regenerate, return and kill Trunks (or somebody), and Gohan would still be the only one who could stand a chance against him.

But Goku would have still been alive... Now whether that be good or bad is anyone's guess. :p I wonder how it would have affected Gohan's studies, as I'd imagine Goku would have been somewhat of a distraction. Maybe Gohan wouldn't have grown up so... Weak...

:(

kuYuri

D-Pad said:
But Goku would have still been alive... Now whether that be good or bad is anyone's guess. :p I wonder how it would have affected Gohan's studies, as I'd imagine Goku would have been somewhat of a distraction. Maybe Gohan wouldn't have grown up so... Weak...

Maybe... Maybe Goku could have been the one Cell would have killed and not Trunks. :p

Also, Goku did promise Chi Chi that once the crisis was over, Gohan would go back to studying and becoming a scholar and all that. And with 7 years of peace, it would have been possible. Who knows of Goku would have kept that promise though? :p

If goku really wanted to he could of even just used Instant Transmission to go from the afterlife back to Earth (like he did in movie 9) but then that would be breaking the rules blah blah.

Im pretty sure if he did no one would be able to stop him since he is that strong.

kuYuri

TheVampire said:
If goku really wanted to he could of even just used Instant Transmission to go from the afterlife back to Earth (like he did in movie 9) but then that would be breaking the rules blah blah.

Im pretty sure if he did no one would be able to stop him since he is that strong.
Well, you can't use a non-canon source like the movies to determine what someone from the series can and can't do.

Being able to teleport doesn't automatically make you amazingly strong, see: Kibito.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No, but Goku pretty much is the strongest being in the universe by the end of DBZ. He could do whatever the hell he wants and King Yemma would just have to deal with it.

Takao

Banned
I don't really know where to put this, but Dragon Ball SD's third chapter has been confirmed (working Naho Oshii to the bone) for serialization in Saikyo Jump.

Also, I'll be playing Dragon Ball Online in Chinese/English in about an hour. Yay?!

Takao

Banned
The quests will still be in Chinese (but menu navigation in English), which will be interesting given I know nothing about the Chinese language.

D-Pad

Is DragonBall Online still coming to NA? With the recent F2P boom you'd think whoever's behind it would be trying to get this out everywhere and hyping the shit out of it.

Takao

Banned
D-Pad said:
Is DragonBall Online still coming to NA? With the recent F2P boom you'd think whoever's behind it would be trying to get this out everywhere and hyping the shit out of it.

DBO was never announced for North America, and still hasn't been released in Japan (though it will be). It's been Free to play in all of the countries it has been released in (which is South Korea, and Taiwan).

It seems Namco Bandai doesn't have much to do with the game, which may be why we haven't heard of any sort of US release as that would mean an MMO publisher would have to pick it up. There are free to play Digimon MMOs in North America (Digimon Battle, and Digimon Masters) so I'm sure it'll come here eventually.

Strider2K99 said:
Didn't Cell gained Instant Transmission indirectly from Goku after Goku died? If so there would be no way Cell could return.

Goku could then teleport Gohan over there to finish his ass off.

Andrex said:
No, but Goku pretty much is the strongest being in the universe by the end of DBZ. He could do whatever the hell he wants and King Yemma would just have to deal with it.
That makes me wonder how strong Goku really was at the end. If the was equal or even stronger then Uub who was about as strong as Kid Buu at normal state, how strong would he be at SSJ3?

jaxword

Tizoc said:
Mind linking to this 'new ending' please? First I've heard of it.

It's been posted above, but the strangest part is Vegeta undoing his admitting that Goku is number one.

I think it's Toriyama politely, in his own way, throwing GT a small bone.

Rapstah

jaxword said:
It's been posted above, but the strangest part is Vegeta undoing his admitting that Goku is number one.

I think it's Toriyama politely, in his own way, throwing GT a small bone.
Or the opposite? I've never watched GT, but the commentary in the second link suggests that it builds on Vegeta getting over trying to beat Goku. Maybe this is what you're saying or I'm misreading it though, sorry if so.

Takao

Banned
Well, in Boo's storyline Vegeta's character finally comes full circle and admits to himself that he knows he'd never be able to defeat Goku, and that he's happy with that. Having him want to defeat Goku once again is a bit... odd. Nor do I think it's a bone being thrown at GT, since I don't recall Vegeta ever really fighting with Goku outside of when he was controlled by Bebi.

Also, some commentary on DBO - I didn't like it. The combat system was so not what I was expecting. I was expecting 1:1 combat like any other Dragon Ball non-JRPG video game, but instead I clicked a button, my avatar would react 3 seconds later and automatically defeat the opponent with little interaction from me. I found the graphics kind of janky, but as a free to play MMO I guess they want to try to get as many people playing as possible. I did like the interactions with characters, as I got to talk to Umigame, and Future Trunks. Too bad I couldn't understand what they were saying, nor could I skip their really, really long text rants...

kuYuri

Crakatak187 said:
Didn't Cell gained Instant Transmission indirectly from Goku after Goku died? If so there would be no way Cell could return.

Goku could then teleport Gohan over there to finish his ass off.

That makes me wonder how strong Goku really was at the end. If the was equal or even stronger then Uub who was about as strong as Kid Buu at normal state, how strong would he be at SSJ3?

Now that you mention it, the logistics behind Cell "learning" Goku's move is not explained well at all. Not something I want to address, lol.

Also, I'm in the camp that Gohan is stronger than Goku by the end of DB.

Strider2K99 said:
Now that you mention it, the logistics behind Cell "learning" Goku's move is not explained well at all. Not something I want to address, lol.

Also, I'm in the camp that Gohan is stronger than Goku by the end of DB.

Cell doesn't explain how he got instant transmission, but explains how he remains perfect form. Really weird actually..

Celsior

jaxword said:
Toriyama screwed up the space/time mechanics. He's always been a bit careless that way with details.
Plus it was the Buu saga he was throwing shit against the wall at that point.
MetalFearSolid said:
Cell doesn't explain how he got instant transmission, but explains how he remains perfect form. Really weird actually..
His cells got mixed with Goku's when he blew up, why he became stronger then before the explosion is another story.

jaxword

Takao said:
Well, in Boo's storyline Vegeta's character finally comes full circle and admits to himself that he knows he'd never be able to defeat Goku, and that he's happy with that. Having him want to defeat Goku once again is a bit... odd. Nor do I think it's a bone being thrown at GT, since I don't recall Vegeta ever really fighting with Goku outside of when he was controlled by Bebi.

Toriyama changed it LONG after GT came out, so he knew where the studio took the story.

Vegeta undoing his epiphany makes zero sense.

So...other than showing a bit of kindness towards GT, since Vegeta does fight Goku (even controlled), there's no logical reason for Toriyama to do that. Unless it's just a joke.

Takao

Banned
I know when the Kanzeban were released, haha. I just meant it would be weird for him to retcon Vegeta's character for GT, since there was nothing in GT that truly goes against what Vegeta had admitted to in the Boo saga.

It's especially weird since Toriyama is quoted as saying GT is a sidestory, so why would he want to retcon his story to fit into that? Yes, I do know he retconed Bardock into the manga as well in the Kanzeban, but like Future Trunks, that was a very well received portion of the anime, GT not so much.

Takao

Banned
Andrex said:
Wtf? No Free the Future? Fricking hell Toei.

Trunks saves the future, but that's short, the rest is a recap of Kai, because the people who own the home release need to be reminded what happens in this show ...

Oh, and they supposedly throw in references to the After-Life Tournament because it's not like that arc was filler and this show's aim was to cut out filler or anything ...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Even dumber than not doing the Buu saga.

jaxword

Takao said:
I know when the Kanzeban were released, haha. I just meant it would be weird for him to retcon Vegeta's character for GT, since there was nothing in GT that truly goes against what Vegeta had admitted to in the Boo saga.

It's especially weird since Toriyama is quoted as saying GT is a sidestory, so why would he want to retcon his story to fit into that? Yes, I do know he retconed Bardock into the manga as well in the Kanzeban, but like Future Trunks, that was a very well received portion of the anime, GT not so much.

Right, so the little mischaracterization of Vegeta there makes zero sense, unless he wanted to troll his own long-time fans. Seems a bit odd for him to do so, especially with how upfront he is about other things.

So the only explanation I can see is that he didn't really watch GT...but heard Goku fights Vegeta and wanted to be Japanese-style polite towards GT's existence.

Takao

Banned
Andrex said:
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Even dumber than not doing the Buu saga.

I completely understand why Kai died, but still it is odd. At this point, they would no longer have to pay for music production as Yamamotto is gone, and would only have to pay royalties to Kikuchi, and for music placement. The animation wouldn't really need to be retouched because the Boo saga is generally good looking, and even though merchandise sales were low, both Toei and Bandai have properties that bring in less. They simply could've moved the show to a less viable timeslot/channel, or delayed Toriko's debut a year (which would help the anime move further away from potential filler). Due to the show now being in a worse place, they could lower wages for script production, editing, and voice over work. Then they'd have another stack of Kai episodes to sell abroad.

Anth0ny

Takao said:
Trunks saves the future, but that's short, the rest is a recap of Kai, because the people who own the home release need to be reminded what happens in this show ...

Oh, and they supposedly throw in references to the After-Life Tournament because it's not like that arc was filler and this show's aim was to cut out filler or anything ...

LOL

Fucking Kai. What a disaster.

Celsior said:
Plus it was the Buu saga he was throwing shit against the wall at that point.

His cells got mixed with Goku's when he blew up, why he became stronger then before the explosion is another story.
Why does Cell gain knowledge from Goku's cells. That never made sense to me, its not like instant transmission was part of Goku's DNA

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chuck Norris said:
Why does Cell gain knowledge from Goku's cells. That never made sense to me, its not like instant transmission was part of Goku's DNA

Toriyama also explained Goten was so much stronger than Gohan at that point because Goky was stronger when he impregnated Chichi.

It's best not to think about these things.

jaxword said:
Toriyama changed it LONG after GT came out, so he knew where the studio took the story.

Vegeta undoing his epiphany makes zero sense.

So...other than showing a bit of kindness towards GT, since Vegeta does fight Goku (even controlled), there's no logical reason for Toriyama to do that. Unless it's just a joke.
Doesn't Vegeta appear in TONS of DB crossovers released after the end of DB? (And there's his little brother in the latest anime special, which Toriyama apparently has a writing credits for.) Maybe Toriyama just really, really likes Vegeta or something.

Takao

Banned
DiipuSurotu said:
Doesn't Vegeta appear in TONS of DB crossovers released after the end of DB? (And there's his little brother in the latest anime special, which Toriyama apparently has a writing credits for.) Maybe Toriyama just really, really likes Vegeta or something.

He likes anything that will increase his bank account numbers, haha.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Chuck Norris said:
Toriyama doesn't plan out his stories. He just makes them up as he goes. He's said this himself. So when there's an inconsistency or something that doesn't make sense, just ignore it. :p

Takao said:
This. ;)

Anth0ny

Takao said:

Anything that doesn't require effort. Or remembering things.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what's stopping Toei from making new things. The only new animation we've gotten since GT has been... the Jump anime special and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. what the hell?

Takao

Banned
That's not true, Toei created various new TV advertisements, and the opening animations for Budokai 2, 3, and Sagas (and depending on who you ask, Ultimate Tenkaichi)!

I guess they're afraid if they spend any effort they'll get another GT on their hands. I honestly do suspect they're prepping Naho Oshii to do a full remake of the series, or something to that scale eventually.

Rapstah

Not really the thread, but I'm on episode 90 of non-Kai now, and I laughed so fucking hard at Frieza talking in his "native language" to Goku in 89. He was just laughing in Japanese! Funimation's (?) dub feels more like a fandub from time to time.

Takao

Banned
Rapstah said:
Not really the thread, but I'm on episode 90 of non-Kai now, and I laughed so fucking hard at Frieza talking in his "native language" to Goku in 89. He was just laughing in Japanese! Funimation's (?) dub feels more like a fandub from time to time.

Never Forget

Takao

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
The hell was the original Japanese dialogue that they had to cut it out and come up with this bullshit?

I just take this stuff from Daizex, so I can't recall off the top of my head. However, this is the dub of Kai's rendition of the scene. Countdown where?

jaxword

Mikey Jr. said:
The hell was the original Japanese dialogue that they had to cut it out and come up with this bullshit?

It was the early days of translations when no one really cared about the quality of writing or accuracy of translations, so the companies would just make things up as necessary. See also : early Square-Enix games.

Anth0ny

Takao said:

2vtsidl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom