• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT3| Men in pink? How bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm hoping for what StaticJam said but I'm expecting Nozawa to ham it up with extra cheese. Can't wait to hear the 'buahaha' ridiculous evil laugh coming from another Goku.

The thing about Kid Trunks is just that he's a playful cocky kid. This is based on DBZ's Vegeta and his cocky 'better than thou' attitude. However, you have to remember that Vegeta's personality has greatly changed in Super to where he is acting more like a martial arts/samurai master(teaching cabba through techniques) and more like a caring father(looking out for Trunks every time he goes off somewhere). He's no longer saying cocky quips and thinking he is the best as often as he used to(In terms of his fight with Hit, he was just feeling himself after having back to back wins, equate it to a basketball player having won 3 games so far out of 7). He is instead becoming more solemn and observant. I can easily see Trunks growing out of this and maturing better(although not all the way to Future Trunks levels) simply based on how Vegeta has been acting more mature himself lately in DB Super. The pride will always be there but instead of acting like he's the best, he'll be more inclined to actually become better than the best, because that's what Vegeta would want him to do and that's what Bulma will encourage from him.

Compare and contrast this to Goku's family where Gohan, a boy with the most potential ever seen in the show, never wanted to fight because he was forced to, thus he eventually became a scholar. Then when stuff finally goes down on earth, he gets beat down and he starts saying he needs to train again. That's not how you should be doing it Gohan. It's like a boxer who's really out of shape trying to go back in the ring after years, when the entire boxing scene has already evolved. It's reactive thinking and he'll just be beat down yet again in the future unless he is doing some truly hardcore Goku-esque training, which I don't see him doing. Then let's look at Goten. We see a kid who has fighting potential but thinks it's all a game. His father doesn't train him(like Vegeta used to with Trunks) so he just does what he can to try and keep up with Kid Trunks(Who's confirmed stronger than him). His techniques and form are sloppy because he isn't learning anything through his battles. He looks like one of those kids who watches someone else fight and then tries to mimic the moves, not understanding why it isn't working as well for him. He doesn't seem like the scholar type even though Chi Chi tries to force it, so honestly I don't know where he'll end up when he grows up. On top of all this, the show makes Goku seem like a terrible father because he barely cares about Goten or what he's doing, yet he shows Gohan much more attention.

tl;dr Trunks will be more mature and a better fighter growing up because of Vegeta's character changes/development in Super. Goten, not so much.
This is a great and insightful post, but I also hope Goten likewise develops into his own unique character because of Goku's different influence. He seems to spend more time with Goten than he ever did with Gohan, actually, taking him with him on his job and training with him during EoZ's time. Probably because he can relate to Goten's energetic personality much more than the more reserved Gohan.

Oh for fucking christ's sake.

They re made the artwork AGAIN.

e557c2a762774cfe5161f77a9d2c42b6.png

Thats whats bugging me!

They fused his 2 jacket designs into one!!

They took the style of his well known jacket and fused it with the length of his TV special jacket, It was bugging me for the longest time just what the hell was the design change they did.

Also is that a new sword? because it doesn't look like the same one. it wouldn't surprise me seeing as the first one was broken by 18.

Big One

Banned
Anyone want to rank all the arcs in the series? And I don't mean exclusively the manga, the anime, or whatever but what is generally considered the major arcs of the series as a whole no matter which version it is. Well here's mine:

God Tier:
Saiyan arc
Piccolo arc

Great Tier:
Android arc
Freeza arc
Battle of Gods arc

Good Tier:
Red Ribbon Army arc
Search for Dragonballs arc
Champa arc

Meh Tier:
Boo arc
Resurrection F' arc
Baby arc
Shadow Dragons arc

Shit Tier:
Super 17 arc

Zalman

Anyone want to rank all the arcs in the series? And I don't mean exclusively the manga, the anime, or whatever but what is generally considered the major arcs of the series as a whole no matter which version it is.
All I know is Buu saga is my favorite.

Real Hero

God Tier:
Pilaf/search for dragon balls
Piccolo arcs
Saiyan arc

Great Tier:
Red ribbon
All the tournements
Androids
Buu arc
Champa arc
Good Tier:
Battle of gods arc (movie is god tier though)
Freeza/namek

Meh Tier:

Resurrection f
Shit Tier:

GT

Z stuff is all manga and kai because it's unfair otherwise

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Anyone want to rank all the arcs in the series? And I don't mean exclusively the manga, the anime, or whatever but what is generally considered the major arcs of the series as a whole no matter which version it is. Well here's mine:

God Tier:
Saiyan arc
Piccolo arc

Great Tier:
Android arc
Freeza arc
Battle of Gods arc

Good Tier:
Red Ribbon Army arc
Search for Dragonballs arc
Champa arc

Meh Tier:
Boo arc
Resurrection F' arc
Baby arc
Shadow Dragons arc

Shit Tier:
Super 17 arc
I agree with almost all of this, but move Android up to God tier. So much came from the non-Goku cast in that arc, especially for post Dragon Ball DBZ.

Complete

Banned
Anyone want to rank all the arcs in the series? And I don't mean exclusively the manga, the anime, or whatever but what is generally considered the major arcs of the series as a whole no matter which version it is.
Reading this made me realize how little of the original Dragon Ball I've actually seen. I also never watched the entirety of GT, but given its reputation, I'm not particularly inclined to care. So, I'll just shuffle a few things around for my list:

God Tier:
Android arc

Great Tier:
Saiyan arc
Freeza arc
Battle of Gods arc

Good Tier:
Universe Tournament arc
Buu arc

Meh Tier:
Resurrection 'F' arc

Yes, I put the Android saga above all others. The combination of Trunks' entrance, the inclusion of time travel and parallel universes, the way different Z-fighters have their moments, and the way Gohan rises up, all elevate it above the rest IMO.

I was really emotionally invested into Gohan going SS2. That shit stuck with me forever. It is The Moment in my eyes, and I will forever be disappointed at Gohan being sidelined in Super.

Oh, and The History of Trunks is included in that. God-tier side story.

Here's to hoping the coming arc lives up to its promise!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Y'all seen Goku Xeno and Time Breaker Vegeta? I don't really like the Masked Saiyan!Vegeta, but Goku Xeno's outfit actually looks good. I love the idea of adult Goku using the Nyoi-bo.

DominoKid

God Tier: Z
Good tier: Dragonball
Meh Tier: Super
Why do you exist tier: GT

No point in separating it by arcs since its so cut and dry to me.

I also really love most of the movies too. I do wish Broly had his own Z arc though. Couldve been the best.

Zalman

Super so far seems to be just build-up to me. It hasn't blossomed yet, but it's been setting up so many things that could really turn out amazing in the future. The lore-building is great.

Y'all seen Goku Xeno and Time Breaker Vegeta? I don't really like the Masked Saiyan!Vegeta, but Goku Xeno's outfit actually looks good. I love the idea of adult Goku using the Nyoi-bo.

Yeah, Goku's Xeno outfit is cool, kinda wish he had it in Super, hopefully it at least makes it into Xenoverse 2.
Also in the Super Dragon Ball Heroes trailer I like how our first glimpse of Black is just him blowing up a city and smiling.
I'm really getting the feeling that just how Goku basically gets off on fighting that Black basically gets off on killing.

NeonZ

https://youtu.be/4i-xurppCkI?t=2m55s
https://youtu.be/4i-xurppCkI?t=4m23s

Promo video for the new version of Dragonball Heroes. Considering the scenes involving Xenoverse Truks, it seems like they might be attempting to stick with Xenoverse Trunks = canon Trunks. In the first CG clip, Xenoverse Trunks faces an unseen opponent in a city, then in the 2nd one Goku Black is actually shown attacking the city and Xeno Trunks is shown in the city too, unlike everyone else, when they show clips of many different characters.

I was wondering how they'd handle this, but I guess they might just explain it with Trunks losing contact with the Time Patrol and getting stuck in his own time after everything falls apart there. Of course, all that would be mentioned only in the games.

https://youtu.be/BFdkRgSeFos?t=4m54s
This Heroes shot oddly shows in game images of someone who seems to be meant to be Super Trunks but with a different design Future Trunks with the tv special design right alongside another shot with the blue haired Super Trunks. Also, two images of Goku Black.

https://youtu.be/BFdkRgSeFos?t=5m36s
This is completely unrelated to Super though. CG for the Heroes original "Majin Demigra" story arc, featuring Time Patrol/Xeno Goku with a new look alongside someone who seems to be Time Breaker Vegeta.

Vex_

Banned
How can there be a dark goku if there isnt even a good goku? Goku isnt entirely a good guy (selfish), does this mean Goku black isnt entirely a bad guy?

How can there be a dark goku if there isnt even a good goku? Goku isnt entirely a good guy (selfish), does this mean Goku black isnt entirely a bad guy?

Goku Black doesn't mean there should be a Good Goku.

If anything Goku Black means there could be a Vegeta Black, a Gohan Black, a Piccolo Black, etc.

Complete

Banned
If Tien gets a power up, they better give one to Krillin, too.

(The lack of Earthlings and female fighters is why I will always roll Earthling Female in Xenoverse.)

SolVanderlyn

Yeah, Goku's Xeno outfit is cool, kinda wish he had it in Super, hopefully it at least makes it into Xenoverse 2.
Also in the Super Dragon Ball Heroes trailer I like how our first glimpse of Black is just him blowing up a city and smiling.
I'm really getting the feeling that just how Goku basically gets off on fighting that Black basically gets off on killing.
I know Turles was supposed to be the "evil Goku" but the idea of a Kakarot that never hit his head could be far better realized, and I hope Goku Black is that

Russ T

Banned

(The lack of Earthlings and female fighters is why I will always roll Earthling Female in Xenoverse.)

Yeah Krillin deserves a power up more than literally anyone else in the show. ):

DominoKid

regular Goku is good. Hes just dumb af and likes to fight more than anything.

Im sure Goku Black likes to fight but he just likes to kill people and destroy planets and shit.

SolVanderlyn

Man all you losers waiting with nothing to do while I saved up every filler episode for tomorrow for just this occasion

I'm tempted to pull out those good ol' orange bricks (hush y'all, the dragon box set prices are fucking bonkers) and rewatch the the Trunks/Frieza episodes tomorrow, myself.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My thoughts exactly. The transition from the Android threat to Cell is my favorite part of DBZ.

Same. I love that Cell just drops in as a threat in the middle of the Android arc.

Dereck

A good point was made earlier about Goku not being the saving grace of the saga entirely and I appreciated the fact that everybody got to eat and the constant one-upping of each other. Where Vegeta got stronger than Goku and then Piccolo got stronger than Vegeta and then Trunks got stronger than Vegeta and you guys know the rest.

Cwarrior

After seeing piccolo step down from tournement arc cause vegeta said so.

IgMyx.gif

still burns, will never believe in toriyama again.

SolVanderlyn

The power creep in Dragon Ball is insane. Even base non God Goku is like a thousand times stronger than your average shonen protagonist

Turin

Banned

Krillin being useful shouldn't require much of a power up. I'd love an episode starring those two.

18 should get some spotlight as well. She's the strongest human.

Edit: Along with a certain park ranger.

tumblr_mk7bnlzNAV1qhuwjbo1_400.gif

HeroR

Sub God, regular SSJ is God level. I like to think their base forms are similar in power to Super Vegetto.

I distinctly remember where I was when that episode aired, at my Grandma's house. I was freaking out.

From what I remember, Toriyama said in an interview that Goku took godhood into his base, not just Super Saiyan. I also don't see Super Vegito busting one of Beerus' attacks with a punch.

From what I remember, Toriyama said in an interview that Goku took godhood into his base, not just Super Saiyan. I also don't see Super Vegito busting one of Beerus' attacks with a punch.
He destroyed the ball by bursting into god mode randomly (at least in the movie). Super Saiyan is the form that matches god mode and we've seen in the Champa arc that SSJ is still a power up from base.

HeroR

He destroyed the ball by bursting into god mode randomly (at least in the movie). Super Saiyan is the form that matches god mode and we've seen in the Champa arc that SSJ is still a power up from base.

In Super, Goku catches and punches Beerus' final attack in his base. He also tanks several from Beerus' attack in his base form after losing Super Saiyan and he never regains Super Saiyan God.

Yes, Super Saiyan still powers up his base, but Goku's base form is said to be equal or a little weaker than Super Saiyan God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom