• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Bought this in the summer "sale" (it was still 55 for the game + season pass lol) since I've been on such a DBZ kick lately. Enjoying it a lot but I don't get some things. Like a lot of them.
It's alright , you are not alone in this.

Number one being the weird inconsistent combo's. For a single button combination it'll output a wildly different combo every so often. Why is this?
Combo varies on 2 things ( 3 but i'll be simple )
-Your position regarding the ennemy
-If you are using a direction in addition to the attack button
-Various conditions like stamina and timing. ( that one is advanced stuff )

And the parallel quests, so you only get a few drops of the possible drops every single time? What does fullfulling the extra conditions give me?
You can only get some drops if you full the conditions.
basicly , you need to trigger the condition for the extra events( sometimes they will trigger, sometimes they won't) it's random .
THEN you need to clear those extra conditions.
During this extra time you'll have another random chance of obtaining something

Yep you're reading right , you have 2 random triggers you have to conquere before you get the super extra RARE stuff.
There is a way to force the 2nd random trigger to give something everytime but ..... i'll talk about it if you ask.
Also, how do I level up with a trainer after they've given me their first ability?

you need to:
-Use the trainer hability he give you,
-Take the trainer with you during missions
-Talk to him regulary ( in the hub )

The trainers you should clear ASAP are :
-Cell , picolo, goku , berrus , king kai
The others are ok , but those above have the most usefull sh*t

Jinjo

It's alright , you are not alone in this.

Combo varies on 2 things ( 3 but i'll be simple )
-Your position regarding the ennemy
-If you are using a direction in addition to the attack button
-Various conditions like stamina and timing. ( that one is advanced stuff )

You can only get some drops if you full the conditions.
basicly , you need to trigger the condition for the extra events( sometimes they will trigger, sometimes they won't) it's random .
THEN you need to clear those extra conditions.
During this extra time you'll have another random chance of obtaining something

Yep you're reading right , you have 2 random triggers you have to conquere before you get the super extra RARE stuff.
There is a way to force the 2nd random trigger to give something everytime but ..... i'll talk about it if you ask.

you need to:
-Use the trainer hability he give you,
-Take the trainer with you during missions
-Talk to him regulary ( in the hub )

The trainers you should clear ASAP are :
-Cell , picolo, goku , berrus , king kai
The others are ok , but those above have the most usefull sh*t

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! So I guess just keep playing the PQ's over and over again lol? Sounds similar to Destiny in a way, which is fine to me. Was kinda looking for a new quick pick and play game for just daily post-work shutting down and relaxing kind of thing. :)

I'd like to know how to force that second trigger to give me stuff though. It's hard enough that the trigger is random. (I.e. piccolo even appearing or not in one of the first PQ's).

Am I right in thinking Health, Ki, Stamina, Basic Attacks and Ki Supers are the most useful stats to level up?

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! So I guess just keep playing the PQ's over and over again lol? Sounds similar to Destiny in a way, which is fine to me. Was kinda looking for a new quick pick and play game for just daily post-work shutting down and relaxing kind of thing. :)

I'd like to know how to force that second trigger to give me stuff though. It's hard enough that the trigger is random. (I.e. piccolo even appearing or not in one of the first PQ's).

Am I right in thinking Health, Ki, Stamina, Basic Attacks and Ki Supers are the most useful stats to level up?

The only way to be sure to have loot is to have king kai mastery but he is a dlc mentor .
Yeah that's SUCKS

The most usefull stats to level up depends on the race you pick and your play style. There are great builds , but no perfect build so far.

Stamina is usefull if you plan to evade a lot .
Basic attack is best if you plan to be close range
Ki is important if you chain super attacks and ultimate attacks
Ki supers is great if you plan to spam Super attacks or if you 're playing a sayian in story mode.
Health is great if you play a namekian and plans to tank a lot of attacks ( to counter , since there are skills to do that)

Your play style and your race are important.

Is now a good time to jump into this game? I was thinking about picking it up but I noticed there are multiple DLC packs, so I am hesitant just in case there is a re-release of some sort with all the content included. The last Dragon Ball game I played was probably the one for PS2 with Trunks on the cover, but I've been hankering for something new lately.

patchday

Yeah random loot chased me away from the game but I got my money's worth and beyond. The dlcs are nice and cheap. Granted I only purchased first dlc

Would've liked to tryout King Kai. Yall got it easy now kind of with the guaranteed loot. I fogured they would make it easier to get the loot after all the dlcs were released. I believe the random loot system was super-grindy to stall us till all the dlcs released. I bet the designers on that team were forced by suits to do that. Felt like I was in an old school korean-grinder mmo rather than a fighting game lol.

They put us through some crap for some outfits

I'm considering double dipping this time on PS4. Started out with an earthling and shoved everything into Ki Blast Supers, yet I've noticed lots of the cooler looking gears tend to swing towards Attack Supers, but as far as I could recall many were really lousy.

Made a sword character at one point and the attacks that used swords did laughable damage. There was one useful one that let you teleport to your enemy though. Also, Ki Blast supers seemed to be the best way to beat some of the more annoying PQs.

My only complaints was the RNG and the fact you couldn't put your own created characters against one another. Other than that, best DBZ game since B3.

Since this wasn't preordered there's no way to obtain SSJ4 Vegeta and the Gold/Silver armors is there?

patchday

is that in the new patches ??? Before you could make vids, except during some story moments.

This is correct. Sorry folks I havent played in a long while so I forgot I did make some vids (outside the story mode).

What sucks is you cant share play. So you cant have a buddy fight against via share play. so silly and messed up

Walpurgis

Banned
How does local two player work? When we do free battle versus, will it be split screen like Tenkaichi or do we share one screen like Budokai? Is there local coop?

GeoMantle

Neo Member
I am still playing this almost daily. Either on steam under GeoMantle or psn as plasticnerves, but usually steam since its the better version.

Let's see...
  • Brace yourself for the RNG. It can be incredibly unfair.
  • Dragonballs are in specific Parallel Quests. Their droprate is RNG-based. Collect all of them and you'll get some fabulous rewards.
  • Most skills will appear in shops as you progress through the story. Even Super Saiyan.
  • Parallel Quests are where you'll get the lion's share of your equipment, skills, et cetera.
  • All of the other character slots unlock when you complete the campaign.
  • Talk to the residents of the hub. You must unite them.
  • To travel between areas in a battle map, lock onto the gate first.
  • Don't think of anything as grinding, because it's training.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Let's see...
  • Brace yourself for the RNG. It can be incredibly unfair.
  • Dragonballs are in specific Parallel Quests. Their droprate is RNG-based. Collect all of them and you'll get some fabulous rewards.
  • Most skills will appear in shops as you progress through the story. Even Super Saiyan.
  • Parallel Quests are where you'll get the lion's share of your equipment, skills, et cetera.
  • All of the other character slots unlock when you complete the campaign.
  • Talk to the residents of the hub. You must unite them.
  • To travel between areas in a battle map, lock onto the gate first.
  • Don't think of anything as grinding, because it's training.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice

GeoMantle

Neo Member
To add to that advice:

The story mode is fun, but the bulk of your time playing the game will be in Parallel Quests, VS. mode or both. Understand that your height and weight in character creation are extremely important when it comes to min-maxing and affects physical combo strings.

For maximum enjoyment of the game: Play through story mode blind then create a new character with your playstyle in mind (i.e. if you mostly like using ki and ranged attacks, use a tiny female human OR saiyan).

You will play each paralell quest about 40 times to unlock everything. Remember that you can use any character in the game to complete these quests and you will still receive zeni, exp and unlock skills and equipment.

Protips: Don't use the Shenron wish "I want to get stronger!" Until youre level 98. Level 99 is very hard to get but gives extra points.

Oh yeah, and BUY THE DLC. It's definitely worth it. The very last mission included with dlc pack 3 allows you to grind exp, zeni and dragonballs all at once.

Mortemis

Banned
So I got this game a while ago and finally got through the campaign, I'm surprised on how much I enjoyed it. Like, it's not that amazing of a game, but it's still fun enough to suck hours of my day for the last couple weeks.

Gotta say, this series has a lot of potential. Seeing how this sold pretty well, it's pretty much inevitable we'll get a sequel, I just hope they give it a good budget and take their time (they probably won't). Seeing how great the next Naruto game looks, if they drop last gen and get some good production values this can look stunning. Just imagine how good a kamehameha can look, and how good destruction can be.

Combat in this game is alright, but I feel it can get a lot more diverse and satisfying. Basic combos I feel lack, and I wish we could string together combos and supers better. Supers and ultimately would be great if RNG wasn't such a bitch tho. Which is something I hope they really work on in the next one.

All in all, this is a pretty fun game with tons of potential and good will from me for a sequel, I just hope they don't blow it.

A sequel really needs to make the RNG less grind based and give us some more goals to reach to unlock stuff, so there is a feeling of progress.

co-op in some form would be great for story stuff.

larger arenas, I feel like last gen consoles caused things to be small with lots of warp zones.

destruction, I want my galic gun to make a hole through a mountian!

beam struggles.

Why? The best thing about the combat in this game is that they removed all the terrible minigames the previous DBZ games had. They most definitely should not start adding them back in.

they don't need to be a mini game and dbz had tons of struggles, it just seems missing to not have any.

Like punching each other with the same move at the same time, a canned animation of the clash is better then nothing, maybe it could only activate if two characters are aiming at each other to stopp cross fire issues.

they don't need to be a mini game and dbz had tons of struggles, it just seems missing to not have any.

Like punching each other with the same move at the same time, a canned animation of the clash is better then nothing, maybe it could only activate if two characters are aiming at each other to stopp cross fire issues.

Also, you become invulnerable to crossfire when you are using/caught in a grappling move, anyway, so I don't think beam struggles would be a problem.

Nice to see others are still playing, too.

Fj0823

You guys, bought this recently.

I want to know, what are good skills to have?, how do I evade ultimate attacks if they connect? I've seen people teleport out of them

Kame Hame Ha Stays :mad:

You guys, bought this recently.

I want to know, what are good skills to have?, how do I evade ultimate attacks if they connect? I've seen people teleport out of them

Kame Hame Ha Stays :mad:

The good skills to depend on the race you use and the build you're trying to make. All the skills have some uses and there is a great variety of build to choose from.

There are some good ones that you should remember just in case " perfect parry , perfect counter , super vegeta 2 , kaioken x3 "

Evade skills can allow you to escape 99% of the attacks if the conditions are met and you have enough stamina ... Even if the attack connects , if the opponent can pary in time and has enough stamina , he should be able to do something. Even if he doesn't parry in time , as long as he has stamina , recovery is possible.
At this point , you best bet is to wear down your opponent stamina AND THEN you try your biggest combos as he won't be able to escape.

patchday

yeah power struggles would've been a nice detail. maybe if they ever make a part II

How the FUCK do I beat that mission on Frieza's ship where you're playing as Captain Ginyu? Gohan and Krillin die every. freaking. time.

I must have done this mission 20 times now.

How the FUCK do I beat that mission on Frieza's ship where you're playing as Captain Ginyu? Gohan and Krillin die every. freaking. time.

I must have done this mission 20 times now.

every time I did that mission I was cutting it close to one of the characters dieing, you just have to mash the fuck out of attacks with ginyu or level up and come back to it, it's one of those story mode stopping points if you are too weak.

I've had xenoverse for awhile now, but I haven't really given any decent effort into playing it much until this past week. I have just wrapped up the Frieza saga, and went to go do the reversie parallel quest with first form Frieza. I'm a big sucker for transformations, so I want super saiyan now instead of having to wait to finish the android and cell sagas to get it.

I read up on the conditions to possibly get it: Kill Krillin first, and MAYBE Goku Turns SSJ, and MAYBE he drops it all the while keeping Frieza's "OoOH a Kamehameha! I'm gonna go stand in it!" dumbass. So I prepared. I filled my character up with two full healing items, a full ki refill, and a full stamina refill. I set up my skills including Kaio Ken X3 (Let's not talk about my bad luck with getting x20...)so I can keep the heat on SSJ Goku and not give him much of a chance to obliterate Frieza in the first 5 seconds. I'm ready to go.

ON MY FIRST ATTEPT I get Goku to trigger SSJ after killing Krillin's dumb ass with gusto. Only problem is, Frieza is only at around 25% health, so I gotta gotta do everything right so he doesn't die within the first 10 seconds of the fight...and I did! I beat the shit out of SSJ Goku. He didn't even land a single hit on Frieza I was doing so good. And of course what happens? He didn't drop it! I say shit, and go at it again...10 more times. The fucker didn't turn SSJ ONCE during those next 10 attempts. That's some mammoth sized RNG bullshit right there. I'll have to just keep plugging away at it until I get it.

After all is said and done, I might actually try to get all the drops in parallels via having them drop...kidding.

I really am loving this game now that I stopped being lazy and bought a replacement Xbox 360 controller to play it with instead of being stupid and trying to play with a keyboard.

i feel your pain , believe , me , everyone who has played this game does.

At least you CAN get some skill with the parallel quests( including both super sayian skills )

But yeah the RNG on missions triggers is the BIGGEST mistake xenoverse has.
i'd say give it up and wait for a few more missions and a MUCH EASIER drop will happens later

Does anyone still play this? Would it be worth getting for a 11 year old who is obsessed with DBZ? For ps4.

There are still people on the servers and the game's good

You just need an insane amount of petience to get EVERYTHING but the game's fun outside of that . finishing the campaign and having fun online is possible regardless of age.

Picked this up in the steam sale and was loving every minute of it right up until the mission where you play as Ginyu and have to keep Gohan and Krillin alive. I almost want my money back it's that broken.

Anyone else got access to Xenoverse 2 beta?

Wasn't expecting a necro, but wait a few more days for the open beta. The closed is going to end at 1am or something. Open beta is on the 13th... or I think you can still get the beta by preordering XV2.

I'm going to wait for the open to see if this is something I want to invest time in, I liked the first game but once all the story and PQs were finished, my interest in the game dropped like a stone. I'm already juggling Destiny and FFXIV.

FDC1

Wasn't expecting a necro, but wait a few more days for the open beta. The closed is going to end at 1am or something. Open beta is on the 13th... or I think you can still get the beta by preordering XV2.

I'm going to wait for the open to see if this is something I want to invest time in, I liked the first game but once all the story and PQs were finished, my interest in the game dropped like a stone. I'm already juggling Destiny and FFXIV.

I already am in the closed beta, I asked if someone else here was in it too because I was seing zero comment about it :).

dubq

This may have already been asked and answered several times but does XV2 allow import of existing created characters from XV1?

FDC1

This may have already been asked and answered several times but does XV2 allow import of existing created characters from XV1?

Yes and No. From what I saw in the beta, you can import your XV1 character (only 1 I think) but you won't be able to play with him/her (at least at the start), he/she will have a specific role in the game.

Top Bottom