• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden (3DS/JP) |OT|

m0t0k1

Oh, that is from when Fire Emblem first launched. I ordered it from ebten (enterbrain store) and they gave you two nice looking microfiber cloths with the game when you ordered from them. (I put the other stuff in the pictures to show the relative size of them.)

http://ebten.jp/p/4902370519457/

So jealous i almost want those clothes more then dragon quest :p. I am hoping for a EU release soon on the game. Last one i played was 6 didn't like it as much 5 or 4. I also haven't played 7 so i am excited to play it.

mutsu

Not used to the closed-up view. Everything looks so blown up. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not used to it after all these years of playing DQ.

Just so happy to see this game on my 3DS.

Aeana

Just got through the introductory scenario.

When the game starts, there is a small scene where Kiefer and the hero cover up their hiding place, and then it cuts right to Maribel and the hero on the beach. This means there's no intro movie. That part isn't surprising, because I think they've managed to take out all of the FMV, but the tragic part is that the lack of an intro movie means no intro song, which is - by far - my favorite song from DQ7. I'm so disappointed about this. :\

Framerate on the world map is not particularly smooth. It jumps between 20-30 FPS, although it's usually 30. There's also treasure chests on the world map, which is interesting. In the game settings, there are two world camera options, but the only difference seems to be whether it's not total garbage when you're up against a wall or not. When you select type B, if you get close to a wall or a rock or something, the camera moves up to a more top-down position. If you choose type A and you get into the same situation, the camera goes through the wall creating an incredibly disorienting situation. I don't know why anybody would want to use that, ugh.

Story changes. I'm just going to spoiler tag this whole block in case people don't want to see it.

Some are smaller, for example, in the original, once you encounter Hondara at the tavern, you can go get the hot stone from him in his house. In this version, Kiefer actually gets it before you and gives it to you when you talk to him in the castle. I don't really get that change, although it does add some funny dialog about Hondara hitting the prince up for 5000 gold.
Some are much bigger. Once you gained entry to the temple in the original, you had to go through several puzzles in order to get the saint equipment to place on each statue to go on into the pedestal area. In this version, there are no puzzles. When you enter the temple, the statues are right there, and between them stands the new fairy guy who tells you where to go to find the equipment. The equipment is now located in 4 shrines on the island, and is very easy and fast to locate. It's very uneventful. Once you have it, you return to the temple and gain entry into the pedestal area, which is also fairly different. The pedestals sit below, inaccessible to your group. You now have to talk to the shard fairy and he lets you place the shards through a menu. You do at least still get to place the shards by rotating and piecing together like a puzzle, but it's just one more kinda odd change.

Some item changes, too. The pearl in the well in Gran Estard has been replaced with a mini medal, which has me curious about whether they've changed anything with the medal system in this version.

I've only been in one battle so far, but it was really fast, so no complaints there yet.

urfe

Just got through the introductory scenario.

When the game starts, there is a small scene where Kiefer and the hero cover up their hiding place, and then it cuts right to Maribel and the hero on the beach. This means there's no intro movie. That part isn't surprising, because I think they've managed to take out all of the FMV, but the tragic part is that the lack of an intro movie means no intro song, which is - by far - my favorite song from DQ7. I'm so disappointed about this. :\

Framerate on the world map is not particularly smooth. It jumps between 20-30 FPS, although it's usually 30. There's also treasure chests on the world map, which is interesting. In the game settings, there are two world camera options, but the only difference seems to be whether it's not total garbage when you're up against a wall or not. When you select type B, if you get close to a wall or a rock or something, the camera moves up to a more top-down position. If you choose type A and you get into the same situation, the camera goes through the wall creating an incredibly disorienting situation. I don't know why anybody would want to use that, ugh.

Story changes. I'm just going to spoiler tag this whole block in case people don't want to see it.

Some are smaller, for example, in the original, once you encounter Hondara at the tavern, you can go get the hot stone from him in his house. In this version, Kiefer actually gets it before you and gives it to you when you talk to him in the castle. I don't really get that change, although it does add some funny dialog about Hondara hitting the prince up for 5000 gold.
Some are much bigger. Once you gained entry to the temple in the original, you had to go through several puzzles in order to get the saint equipment to place on each statue to go on into the pedestal area. In this version, there are no puzzles. When you enter the temple, the statues are right there, and between them stands the new fairy guy who tells you where to go to find the equipment. The equipment is now located in 4 shrines on the island, and is very easy and fast to locate. It's very uneventful. Once you have it, you return to the temple and gain entry into the pedestal area, which is also fairly different. The pedestals sit below, inaccessible to your group. You now have to talk to the shard fairy and he lets you place the shards through a menu. You do at least still get to place the shards by rotating and piecing together like a puzzle, but it's just one more kinda odd change.

Some item changes, too. The pearl in the well in Gran Estard has been replaced with a mini medal, which has me curious about whether they've changed anything with the medal system in this version.

I've only been in one battle so far, but it was really fast, so no complaints there yet.

I'm amazed at the detail you remember the old game! Thanks for your impressions!

The DS remakes had shrunk down the world of the old games by a lot. Does this one also do that? I really hated that.

Aeana

There's a setting to manage the strength of the 3D in battle, and the stronger one is way too much for me. It just looks odd. That said, I don't think I'm going to use 3D very much in this game. I don't feel like it adds much.

I'm amazed at the detail you remember the old game! Thanks for your impressions!

The DS remakes had shrunk down the world of the old games by a lot. Does this one also do that? I really hated that.
The world map feels kinda weird. I think it's about the same size as the original, but the scale of towns and stuff is much larger, so the space between them feels like way less. Towns feel about the same, for the most part.

Can you still move around by just turning the camera (instead of using the dpad to change directions)?
Yeah. The analog stick feels great to use though. Movement is nice and fast, too.

I've only played about an hour or so, so I'm in no place to comment on anything in great detail. Pop up on the world map is definitely noticeable, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

But man, the music is fucking great. I've never been super fond of the DQ music (I know, I know), but I've always loved the orchestrated versions. This is totally a dream come true for me.

urfe

The world map feels kinda weird. I think it's about the same size as the original, but the scale of towns and stuff is much larger, so the space between them feels like way less. Towns feel about the same, for the most part.

(Not really spoilers, talking about a story mechanic realized in the first 5 hours)
I'm wondering how this will be when you have a ship sailing around to new islands as they appear. Will the entire world feel incredibly small, or will it somehow work out. Honestly, something I'm now a little worried about.

The release of the 3DS remake basically rules out any chance for a PSone Classic version, so I may buy the original used just to have it. (edit: I have the English version at my parents house, but nothing in Japan)

Also one more quick thing. The 3D is just kind of there, and I actually found myself turning it off for most of the time I played. Felt like it was messing with my eyes, but I was also fairly tired last night too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've only played about an hour or so, so I'm in no place to comment on anything in great detail. Pop up on the world map is definitely noticeable, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

But man, the music is fucking great. I've never been super fond of the DQ music (I know, I know), but I've always loved the orchestrated versions. This is totally a dream come true for me.

I saw it in the castle town quite a bit, too. Characters just fading out after you get a certain distance away.

Aeana

(Not really spoilers, talking about a story mechanic realized in the first 5 hours)
I'm wondering how this will be when you have a ship sailing around to new islands as they appear. Will the entire world feel incredibly small, or will it somehow work out. Honestly, something I'm now a little worried about.

The release of the 3DS remake basically rules out any chance for a PSone Classic version, so I may buy the original used just to have it. (edit: I have the English version at my parents house, but nothing in Japan)

Yeah, we'll see. Once I walked around in Woodpalna for a little bit and then exited out to the world map, it occurred to me that the movement speed on the map is insane. It's really, really fast. In that way, it kinda reminds me of the way DQ6 DS feels so much smaller than the original because of the shrinkage + movement speed increase. You already moved pretty fast in the original DQ7, but this actually feels like a whole different level.

Based on some promo screenshots I saw on Game Watch, it's almost assuredly going to be handled like in DQ8 and DQ9.

Aeana

I finished the Woodpalna/Rexwood part. As I was going through the eastern tower dungeon, it hit me that I'm actually playing a remake of DQ7. I know that's weird, but I never actually thought it would ever be done, because it's such a massive game.

So far, everything is intact except for the trial dungeon, and hopefully it remains that way. The orchestrated music is great, the game looks pretty nice too - as good as DQ5 PS2 in most aspects, and better as far as character models and lighting go. Battles are still really fast, and the over-the-shoulder perspective in battle is a good change. Dungeons seem pretty much the same in terms of layout for the most part (which I consider to be a good thing), although the graphics are obviously improved quite a bit, and the puzzles in the colorstone mine were slightly different. There also seems to be even more party chat, as I expected. Maribel in particular has a fair bit more to say than she did in the original version.

One of the neatest additions, in my opinion, is the "past adventures" option in the menu, which gives a great description of each even that's happened so far. There's also a "recent adventures" option that says what happened most recently, which serves as a good reminder if you happened to put the game down for a while or something. Of course, also in that menu is the "next shard" option which will tell you if there's any shards in areas you can currently access. Along with that is a shard list, which lets you view every shard you've collected, with a little note saying where you got it. All very useful stuff.

So far, I'm very satisfied. This is the kind of treatment DQ6 deserved, but I'm glad that DQ7 got it at least.

Aeana

Based on those videos, it kinda looks like enemies don't really chase you around?
They definitely do. And they're fast, especially in dungeons. With the narrow dungeon passageways and the speed of the enemies, it's not easy to avoid enemies if you really want to.

That said, the game seems to employ an Earthbound-style spawning system, which means you can move enemies off screen to reshuffle them.

Good to hear. EarthBound's system was FAR better than DQIX's. Plus it's nice to hear monsters are more aggressive. I never fought a battle in IX unless I absolutely wanted to.

Flock

This game has Furigana yes? My japanese is really not great but i'm hoping even my meagre skills will allow me to play through this game. Only played one other DQ (8). Loved it so much though.

So I've played IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX now (actually beat IV)

Still think the character design of the lead in VII is my favorite in the entire series

Also, holy shit, I think this looks wonderful on 3DS!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game has Furigana yes? My japanese is really not great but i'm hoping even my meagre skills will allow me to play through this game. Only played one other DQ (8). Loved it so much though.

From what I played last night, I think it's probably 100% furigana.

Good to hear. EarthBound's system was FAR better than DQIX's. Plus it's nice to hear monsters are more aggressive. I never fought a battle in IX unless I absolutely wanted to.
Weird - I always felt the DQIX monsters were aggressive - if one saw me on the map it was about 70% chance of a battle :S In the dungeons it was the narrowness that made battles a must

I finished the Woodpalna/Rexwood part. As I was going through the eastern tower dungeon, it hit me that I'm actually playing a remake of DQ7. I know that's weird, but I never actually thought it would ever be done, because it's such a massive game.

So far, everything is intact except for the trial dungeon, and hopefully it remains that way. The orchestrated music is great, the game looks pretty nice too - as good as DQ5 PS2 in most aspects, and better as far as character models and lighting go. Battles are still really fast, and the over-the-shoulder perspective in battle is a good change. Dungeons seem pretty much the same in terms of layout for the most part (which I consider to be a good thing), although the graphics are obviously improved quite a bit, and the puzzles in the colorstone mine were slightly different. There also seems to be even more party chat, as I expected. Maribel in particular has a fair bit more to say than she did in the original version.

One of the neatest additions, in my opinion, is the "past adventures" option in the menu, which gives a great description of each even that's happened so far. There's also a "recent adventures" option that says what happened most recently, which serves as a good reminder if you happened to put the game down for a while or something. Of course, also in that menu is the "next shard" option which will tell you if there's any shards in areas you can currently access. Along with that is a shard list, which lets you view every shard you've collected, with a little note saying where you got it. All very useful stuff.

So far, I'm very satisfied. This is the kind of treatment DQ6 deserved, but I'm glad that DQ7 got it at least.
Bolded had me chuckling - then again in the original you always had the "lost in thought" thing a bit too frequently so more party chat is a good thing!

I feel a bit sad about the opening dungeon being reduced to pretty much nothing (see what you did whiners! :p) and the omission of the intro music but yeah these new additions and tweaks sound great and I wish I were playing too. Looking forward to more impressions from you!

PS: You said the world map is pretty fast so I am assuming the world map is more traditional DQ style rather than VIII or even IX? Didn't seen that way from the trailer.

Aeana

PS: You said the world map is pretty fast so I am assuming the world map is more traditional DQ style rather than VIII or even IX? Didn't seen that way from the trailer.

It's a simplified version of what's in 9, pretty much. Less area, fewer interesting things on the map (obviously no resource gathering points, but there is the occasional chest!).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, those comments about the changes/omissions early in the game had me worried.
But it's sounding like a fairly tremendous remake with some really convenient additions, and just the occasional arbitrary change made here and there.

Soriku

Treasure chests...thank god. DQ IX's world was so barren. Not sure if the original DQ VII or the other remakes had treasures in the map, but if not, good addition (sad that treasures on RPG overworlds aren't always a given anymore.)

Aeana

Treasure chests...thank god. DQ IX's world was so barren. Not sure if the original DQ VII or the other remakes had treasures in the map, but if not, good addition (sad that treasures on RPG overworlds aren't always a given anymore.)

No, they didn't, because they had traditional overworld maps.
I'm not sure why you say "aren't always a given anymore," since that was never really a thing in very many Japanese RPGs at all.

Soriku

No, they didn't, because they had traditional overworld maps.
I'm not sure why you say "aren't always a given anymore," since that was never really a thing in very many Japanese RPGs at all.

Maybe. I felt like they were more common in older JRPGs though. DQ VIII had them which I liked a lot, combined with a massive world. DQ VIII was so awesome...

Aeana

Maybe. I felt like they were more common in older JRPGs though. DQ VIII had them which I liked a lot, combined with a massive world. DQ VIII was so awesome...
DQ8 is an older JRPG? It was released in 2004/2005.
That type of overworld was fairly new when DQ8 did it, too.

It's a simplified version of what's in 9, pretty much. Less area, fewer interesting things on the map (obviously no resource gathering points, but there is the occasional chest!).

Ah I see (a bigger world map would have added game time that wasn't really welcome in an already really long game so it is cool) - but that's really interesting about the chests! I wonder, is it trivial stuff in them like herbs and antidotes or say, tiny medals?

urfe

This calms me down quite a bit.

Aeana

Based on some promo screenshots I saw on Game Watch, it's almost assuredly going to be handled like in DQ8 and DQ9.
Having just got the ship, I can confirm that it's pretty similar to DQ8/9's ship implementation. Stuff is scaled down quite a bit. The speed of the ship itself doesn't seem too fast, so I'm pretty satisfied with it.

RangerBAD

The way some more recent Tales games are set up have chests and search points, too. So it's more common now then it was in the past. Probably more examples than that.

And DQ8 is awesome.

Awesome+GIF+bro+_8f3a67b8860ea9150cb0e743da398c54.gif

Aeana

Oh, I also want to clarify the shard radar. Shards that are in the open air always appear on the map, whether you have the radar or not. What the shard radar actually does is flash if there's a shard in the area you're currently in. For example, I just entered the colorstone mine, and I'm standing outside of it by the building outside. The radar is flashing, because there's a shard somewhere in the mine. I actually think this is a good way to do it, because it saves you a lot of time of going through a whole dungeon or something only to find that there weren't any shards anyway. At this point, the "next shard" option in the menu actually also doesn't have any new information, which has me wondering if it only repeats what the shard fairy tells you. Meaning, you still have to go to him to get a new hint. If that's true, then I think all of these systems will actually work together very well indeed. However, considering that I can't actually enter the mine yet, that may be the reason why it's saying that. I'll update later once I figure it out.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wrong about that part. If there's a shard in an area you can actually access, that option connects you directly with the shard fairy and he'll give you a hint.

Aeana

Hmmm. Maribel is level 7 and hasn't learned retaliate. I wonder if she even learns it in this version? That'll make a certain boss more difficult, if not.

I could be wrong but wasn't DQ8 the first JRPG to do that with the overworld?
Depends on what you mean by "that."

RangerBAD

Hmmm. Maribel is level 7 and hasn't learned retaliate. I wonder if she even learns it in this version? That'll make a certain boss more difficult, if not.

I guess he means no traditional overworld and chests on the map outside of towns and dungeons.

Bladenic

Completely seamless and to scale overworld.

Aeana

There was another interesting small change in Woodpalna, and I think after seeing that one, the motivation for them is becoming much clearer to me.

In the present version of the town, in the original version, you got a fire shard by walking into one of the houses in town, and you see it sitting on a desk. The old woman lets you have it if you examine it. In this one, an NPC in the tower at the center of town gives it to you after you speak with him about the colorstone mine. Talking to another NPC in town makes the reason for this clearer, as she lets you know that the name of the tower is Hank Tower, and learning that would definitely make you want to check it out, whereas the old woman had no real connection with anything.

The hotstone change, and this change, and a few others make it clear that they've made a concentrated effort to clear up any ambiguity about how to get shards and other essential story items, and considering that it's probably the most major actually fixable complaint people had with the game, I'm sure it's for the best.

RangerBAD

There was another interesting small change in Woodpalna, and I think after seeing that one, the motivation for them is becoming much clearer to me.

In the present version of the town, in the original version, you got a fire shard by walking into one of the houses in town, and you see it sitting on a desk. The old woman lets you have it if you examine it. In this one, an NPC in the tower at the center of town gives it to you after you speak with him about the colorstone mine. Talking to another NPC in town makes the reason for this clearer, as she lets you know that the name of the tower is Hank Tower, and learning that would definitely make you want to check it out, whereas the old woman had no real connection with anything.

The hotstone change, and this change, and a few others make it clear that they've made a concentrated effort to clear up any ambiguity about how to get shards and other essential story items, and considering that it's probably the most major actually fixable complaint people had with the game, I'm sure it's for the best.

Sounds like a great change.

Aeana

Finished Engow. Not a lot of changes to that part. In fact, the only changes I noticed were purely cosmetic.
Instead of regular torches, the villagers all don hats with a torch flame on top. Also, at the bottom of the volcano, the boss shows up looking like the actual thing you fight rather than a big pot.
Other than that, it was pretty much the same, just nicer-looking. Oh, there was one thing I was disappointed by:
in the volcano, there's a place where you can exit out and grab a chest on a cliff. In the original, you could see the flame procession moving up the mountain off to the side/in the background, but in this version, they don't show that. :(

EDIT: Oh, something I keep neglecting to mention is how impressed I am with the variety of battle backgrounds. There are way more unique ones than in the original so far, and they look pretty nice.

hongcha

I'm loving this game, a LOT more than DQ9 (which I played to completion but it's definitely my least favorite among the DQ games I've played). Lovely graphics, beautiful music, and I'm enjoying the story and battles very much. Like Aeana said, I really wish DQ6 got a remake like this.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yep, looks like I'll be replaying DQ7 :)

Hopefully I don't have to wait a year to play it in English...

I'm loving this game, a LOT more than DQ9 (which I played to completion but it's definitely my least favorite among the DQ games I've played). Lovely graphics, beautiful music, and I'm enjoying the story and battles very much. Like Aeana said, I really wish DQ6 got a remake like this.

I actually haven't played DQ6 in any form. Could somebody elaborate on just what it is that makes the remake such a disappointment?

Did you play the original?

Oxx

I actually haven't played DQ6 in any form. Could somebody elaborate on just what it is that makes the remake such a disappointment?

Personally I was disappointed that it looked and felt exactly like DQIV and DQV.

I know Aena can provide a more nuanced assessment. I was just burnt-out after IV and V.

Top Bottom