• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden (3DS/JP) |OT|

Metallix87

Joker 2 did really, amazingly, catastrophically bad in the west.

There's a lot of reasons for that, though. Fans of the series were disappointed that the West got shafted and didn't get the Professional version. Nintendo of America barely advertised the game. It came out at a really awkward time.

I think Terry's Wonderland 3D launching now would do considerably better, especially with a decent push from Nintendo.

Have you seen DQVII's script?

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/482/474/58.jpg

Binders and Binders full of script.

Apparently there was a Nico special the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DQOTAKU

They keep that stuff on computers nowadays.

Is the story really that huge though? I know the game's like 100+ hours, but how much is that pure story?

There's a lot of NPC chatter since nearly every town goes through at least three significantly distinct phases.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love both FE and DQ but can agree that they are completely different in both looks and how it plays.

Trails in the Sky SC maybe? Not talking about the series either, but just SC in itself.

That's the only game I could come up with that even comes close. That one has less content but more people who talk about a lot of stuff!

Prophane33

...and here we have the first game that makes the 3DS's Region lock truly piss me off . I've played every DQ, never played in English and I'm not about to start now, eventually going to have to get a JP 3DS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Based Google Translate:

lol.

Would these be the two different camera angles? The pics are right under the part where they discuss that.

c20130131_dq7_05_cs1w1_400x240.jpg

c20130131_dq7_06_cs1w1_400x240.jpg

Overhead like DQ IX, and something that's more behind the back?

No, I don't think so. The interview says that there are two camera types to choose from when on the "field," so the overworld areas.

The caption for those screenshots just say: "The fields and dungeons have been rendered in full 3D! We're told that the camera work has been optimized so that it's very easy to play."

@MUWANdo

Banned
Based Google Translate:

lol.

Would these be the two different camera angles? The pics are right under the part where they discuss that.

c20130131_dq7_05_cs1w1_400x240.jpg

c20130131_dq7_06_cs1w1_400x240.jpg

Overhead like DQ IX, and something that's more behind the back?

Hmm... possibly, but I really hope not. This game really, desperately needs a zoomed-out camera angle.

Soriku

No, I don't think so. The interview says that there are two camera types to choose from when on the "field," so the overworld areas.

The caption for those screenshots just say: "The fields and dungeons have been rendered in full 3D! We're told that the camera work has been optimized so that it's very easy to play."

Hmm...well these are some other field shots:

I think they're all showing the same camera angle but not entirely sure. But if there's a different camera angle besides the ones here, I hope it's closer to DQ VIII's.

And this is a little off-topic but I feel like DQ VIII was a one of a kind game. A huge console RPG that's devoid of any MMO nonsense they've been incorporating in the series...

Script be damned.

Is the story really that huge though? I know the game's like 100+ hours, but how much is that pure story?

There is a LOT of dialogue. NPCs in every town change what they say after pretty much every major event. Plus you have past and present versions of town.

Plus the game has a ridiculous amount of party chat. Each character usually has a new line of dialogue after speaking to each NPC, entering a new area, or an event happening.

Plus the game is pretty densely packed with various towns.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't wanna doubt you (and I'd personally love it if your statement is indeed true) but I can't imagine it being bigger than Xenoblade.

I've played Xenoblade through three times and could only ever manage beating DQ VII once. When I had three months off from college. With no job.

The thought of playing a non remade version of DQ VII frightens me because of its actual size. Most RPGS end before you unlock the job system in this game. I bet I could get halfway through Super Mario RPG in the time it takes for a first time player to get to the first combat in DQ VII.

zroid

Banned
I've played Xenoblade through three times and could only ever manage beating DQ VII once. When I had three months off from college. With no job.

The thought of playing a non remade version of DQ VII frightens me because of its actual size. Most RPGS end before you unlock the job system in this game. I bet I could get halfway through Super Mario RPG in the time it takes for a first time player to get to the first combat in DQ VII.

By all reasonable accounts this should be a turn-off, but for some reason I just want to play it even more now.

My first time I played DQVII, it took me about 6 hours to reach the first battle. Subsequent playthroughs have taken about three hours. If you REALLY rush things and know what you're doing, you could probably get it done in about an hour, maybe a little less.

But it's not a bad thing. You're doing stuff during that time. Going around talking to people, solving puzzles. It's pretty well done IMHO

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My first time I played DQVII, it took me about 6 hours to reach the first battle. Subsequent playthroughs have taken about three hours. If you REALLY rush things and know what you're doing, you could probably get it done in about an hour, maybe a little less.

But it's not a bad thing. You're doing stuff during that time. Going around talking to people, solving puzzles. It's pretty well done IMHO

Mario RPG is like a ten to twelve hour game so my math is just about right!

Well holy hell. I'm even more excited for this game now. (I could already see how finding time for it will be a struggle, but I guess it being on a handheld will help somewhat.)

Seik

Banned
Will buy day 1 if it comes here.

I think it will, honestly, all the DS DQ games got release in North America, so why not this one. :p

The only thing I'm sad about is that they never localized that anniversary compilation for the Wii. :(

Eusis

I don't wanna doubt you (and I'd personally love it if your statement is indeed true) but I can't imagine it being bigger than Xenoblade.
It's POSSIBLE in raw traversable area Xenoblade's bigger if you tried to make some sort of realiable scale given how completely different fields and character control work in both games. But by any other metric (length, text) DQVII's on another level. It took me nearly 100 hours just to clear Disc 1, and Disc 2's at least 20. And I never beat Disc 2.
Given that it would have required ripping apart and localizing the SFC games, I'm not surprised.
VC releases of DW1-4 would've been nice though! But if we're looking at a worst case scenario for Earthbound it may well be that they were forced to release in every region a game was released in with the Wii VC, but that requirement was lifted after the issues Nintendo themselves had with Earthbound, and likewise SE may not have wanted to put the DQ games on the VC at all in Japan in favor of more lucrative physical sales. Releasing in every region a game was released in is a policy that ideally you'd have, but I guess reality wants to be an asshole and make nice things like that impractical.

smbu2000

Looking forward to playing this. I'm not sure when I'll be able to finish it. (I put in +120hrs on the PS1 version.) but it should be fun re-visiting things in this remake. (It's been like 10 years since I played it though, so I don't really remember most of what happened.)

The GEO near my place starts selling new games at midnight, so I can pick up my pre-order tonight. :)

If you rush it, yeah I could see it taking under 100 hours. But for most people on their first playthrough, it will.

Took me 160 my first play through. 90 for disc one, another 40 for disc two. Then the remainder for the post game content.

I'm totally in for the digital release, since it will take me a year to finish this game, so it's the perfect DD candidate for me.

When is this going to go live on the eShop? Midnight please?

P.S. I actually tried to get the retail version via Yahoo! Shopping Japan when they had that 1 Yen bargain going. F5ed the shit out of it, auto completed everything and still failed. Took me 30 seconds to actually go through the whole process but somebody else was still faster. Fuck that.

And if you are obsessive about party chat like me that adds hours too.

But I expect this remake to be considerably faster overall. One of the points of this remake they said was to improve pace and tempo so you'll get to the first battle quicker too.

luca1980

Banned
DQ7 really doesn't take a hundred hours to complete.
Without a walkthrough losing time searching for shards or right npc talk to advance it could IMHO.
With a walkthrough if I recall right is a 70 hours or 60 hours game.
This remake yet will be faster IMHO. Probably 50 hours or even less

Marvie_3

Banned
I really really hope this gets released in NA. I loved DQ7 but don't have it anymore. Wouldn't mind playing through it again.

lol, I got a shout out in the OP? Thanks Aeana for bringing to attention my incredibly strange and nitpicky inteface tastes :D

Anyway, can't come in here without giving the standard "NA release when!?" response, so yeah. I'll play all 180 hours of it when/if it comes.

Dropped by my local place to see if they'd sell me a copy a day early; no dice. SE sent them an email threatening to cease shipping their games to them if they break street date. They've done this for like two years now too. Pretty crazy.

I did however reserve a copy since I have a late meeting tomorrow afternoon. Ten bucks says the game is sold out by then.

Took a quick shot of the display without the games. Man, this is gonna sell like crazy, isn't it?

BCaIjMRCQAAKrNT.jpg:large

I'm curious as to how they've addressed the game's pacing. I expect a full report, RyougaSaotome!

I almost feel the game's focus on vignettes would work well on a portable.

Aeana

Play-Asia shipped a day early, and it'll be here tomorrow morning by 10:30. I'm honestly really surprised; this hasn't happened in quite a long time.

antun

I will buy this as soon as it is released on the eShop! (hopefully within a few hours?) Looking forward to it a lot!

antun

All right!!!

Now I´ll go to the gym and when I get back it´s... actualy work time... But tomorrow! Playtime. :D

yankee666

Mine is shipped already YES!!!!!! too bad it doesnt arrive here till next week :(.
I need some impressions of the game.

They've said they're evaluating it for Western markets. With Iwata saying they'd going to help in bringing 3DS games from Japan over, I don't see why this wouldn't be a priority.

Great. Hopefully we get it by the end of the year. I am making it through V right now and I have VI and IX to play on the ds still.

Top Bottom