• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aww, that's too bad. Mine went through, or so they say. Obviously I'll find out for sure when I get to the store... it's a good store, though, so I have faith.

Woohoo. Finally got a confirmed order. Store is in CA though. (I live in MI). A bit of a drive.

Oxx

I played a bit of DQ9 today. I had forgotten how weird that font looked.

But I do actually like the look of the game moreso after seeing the shots of DQ10 and Terry's Wonderland. Even if it's a bit wobbly and muddy, at least it's densely-packed.

Aeana

I played a bit of DQ9 today. I had forgotten how weird that font looked.

But I do actually like the look of the game moreso after seeing the shots of DQ10 and Terry's Wonderland. Even if it's a bit wobbly and muddy, at least it's densely-packed.

Now if only it ran at a stable framerate without benching one of your party members. (._. )

Oxx

All I have done so far is to change the date and collect my birthday presents from the inn. I had forgotten about the slowdown.

Ronian

Neo Member
Anyone else disappointed with the post game? I mean the grottos are bland and why do they have so many levels in the first place. Or do they get better with a higher lvl and grotto quality? I was turned off by the way to get a high level (endless metal slim farming... ) Cant there be at least one GOOD post game dungeon to level up for the grottos?

wrowa

Now if only it ran at a stable framerate without benching one of your party members. (._. )

I'll never understand why there isn't an option to disable the visibility of the party members... Being able to see them is nothing more than eye candy anyway.

The emptiness of DQ10 and Terry's Wonderland (judging by the released screenshots at least) is really the worst part about both games. It single-handedly makes both games look so much more ugly and un-fun.

ghibli99

Anyone else disappointed with the post game? I mean the grottos are bland and why do they have so many levels in the first place. Or do they get better with a higher lvl and grotto quality? I was turned off by the way to get a high level (endless metal slim farming... ) Cant there be at least one GOOD post game dungeon to level up for the grottos?
A lot of folks, including myself, enjoyed the post-game story quests. I really got into revocation and alchemizing all the best/rarest gear. I also exploited things a bit with the Hoimi Table, Kawasaki Timer, and some of the famous Japanese maps, but that still took me a lot of time to get everything I needed, and there's probably 10 or so Alchemiracles I have yet to perform. Maybe one day! Ultimately, I got to the point where the ends didn't justify the means, so I stopped playing. Feel 100% satisfied w/ it though. Best $35 I ever spent on the DS.

My buddy is starting his first Dragon Quest game (5 on the DS), and he's enjoying it so far, so I'm feeling kinda hyped to play it again too.

Aeana

I played a DQ9 solo hero game and I found it to be a pretty great experience, and I had no slowdown either thanks to that. I recommend it to everyone~

Oxx

Yeah, although I did play a lot of the post-game stuff, I'll freely admit that a lot of it is rather tedious and pointless.

You just have to hope that DQX isn't using DQIX's quests and grottoes as a base.

ghibli99

You just have to hope that DQX isn't using DQIX's quests and grottoes as a base.
Agreed... I do hope that dungeons are more set in stone and intelligently designed vs. the random grottoes of 9. I also hope that quests lean more heavily towards the story/vignette type. I know it's tough to get around the ones that are based on rare drops, fetching, and dumb requirements (e.g., use lame spell to deal final blow to boss, etc.), but too many of those really detracts from keeping the game fun.

Does the 3DS help the slowdown?

I'm looking at trying this on my 3DS now

Playing on the 3DS wouldn't alleviate any framerate problems. A solo run would make a noticeable difference, of course.

I actually think the slowdown isn't that bad considering the great art direction of the game.

rpmurphy

If there is any version of the grotto music from DQIX anywhere in DQX, I'm out.

Diabolical music.
Hahaha indeed. If they have grottoes again in DQX, I hope they use more varied dungeon music, like different ones for different themed dungeons or different floor tiers.

Whelp, almost done with this game. 5 vocations on my main character at *, (the rest at +4 or better) 9 out of 12 tavern allies at * in their "main" vocation (One for each) and 99 in all other vocations.

844 multiplayer hours or so, need to get some more time in with friends. Otherwise, I should be finishing up the game with every available accolade (413) in a few weeks. (Don't have time in the next two weeks though, so that's going to hurt my ability to put the finishing touches on the game.)

I know I'm kind of late to the OT, but I figured I'd throw my hat into the topic.

ghibli99

Whelp, almost done with this game. 5 vocations on my main character at *, (the rest at +4 or better) 9 out of 12 tavern allies at * in their "main" vocation (One for each) and 99 in all other vocations.

844 multiplayer hours or so, need to get some more time in with friends. Otherwise, I should be finishing up the game with every available accolade (413) in a few weeks. (Don't have time in the next two weeks though, so that's going to hurt my ability to put the finishing touches on the game.)

I know I'm kind of late to the OT, but I figured I'd throw my hat into the topic.
Holy crap at the bolded part!

Oxx

There were times when I considered picking-up a cheap second copy for the purposes of tag mode, but thankfully those times are behind me.

Any tips on how to obtain a "Silver" Grotto map for one of the quests? All I got after beating 20-25 grottoes are "Iron", "Bronze" etc. ones.

Should I be higher than any specific level to get "Silver" maps?

Mr. Fix

Is there a deadline for the Cameo bosses/DLC? I decided to restart from scratch today. Haven't played it in almost 2 years, and all I saw was that I spent 120 hours on my previous playthrough. I just stood there with an eyebrow raised. It's probably nothing compared to the rest of DQGaf though.

ghibli99

Is there a deadline for the Cameo bosses/DLC? I decided to restart from scratch today. Haven't played it in almost 2 years, and all I saw was that I spent 120 hours on my previous playthrough. I just stood there with an eyebrow raised. It's probably nothing compared to the rest of DQGaf though.
I don't know if I could ever play through this again the way I did the first time. If I do, I'll probably do it like Aeana did (Hero only), or just play it like I would any other DQ. Problem is that I know I'd get caught up in all the quests, vocations, and grinding dem metal slimes all day long. :) DQ9 was the best time I had in the latter half of 2010, though, easily.

This was my first DQ game and I really enjoyed it. Hands down my favorite DS game and that's saying something. I beat the main game many months ago but I still hop on and grind intermittently -- for some reason grinding in this game is really relaxing to me. After my job gets less busy I plan on putting some more time into grottoes and getting those sweet sweet boss drops with the Hoimi Table, which was a fun exploit for me.

I envy those of you who have the awesome MKS maps. I'm doing it the hard way, by slogging through grotto after grotto...

ghibli99

I envy those of you who have the awesome MKS maps. I'm doing it the hard way, by slogging through grotto after grotto...
I did a vast majority of MKS grinding in regular water grottoes, which took a long time, but like you, I somehow found it relaxing, and it was always exciting to finally see an MKS fall into view. :) The PKJ map helped out the most later on when I needed tons of cash for Chronocrystal-hungry Alchemiracles. The Kawasaki map & timer definitely saved weeks, possibly months, of work getting all the gear and ingredients necessary for the Alchemiracles.

Yeah I really want that Kawasaki Locker map. I wish there was a convenient way of acquiring it. :\ I feel like I missed out on a lot of the fun by never playing the multiplayer. I heard it was great.

Mr. Fix

Yeah I really want that Kawasaki Locker map. I wish there was a convenient way of acquiring it. :\ I feel like I missed out on a lot of the fun by never playing the multiplayer. I heard it was great.

Is that the MKS only map? It's a shame it was never DLC.

ghibli99

Is that the MKS only map? It's a shame it was never DLC.
It has a good number of S and A rank treasure chests, and by using this timer with this map, you can basically go through the entire dungeon and open the chests to get exactly what you want. Great way of getting stuff like Sainted Somas, Ethereal Stones, and a whole bunch of stuff. It was like Christmas Morning the first time I tried this and got it to work. :)

As far as we know, it's still up and staying up.

Any recommended workarounds for getting appropriate Wifi access without changing router settings or buying a Nintendo USB dealie? I'll do the former if I have to, I'd just rather not.

Mr. Fix

Beat the game, and got the whistle at 45 hours (2nd run). I've got all the important attribute boosts for the MC, but is there a skill that reflects breath attacks? I almost got my ass handed to me by a Lvl. 1 Baramos. And here I thought I could get the Legacy equipment easily.

On a side note, I love rockin' Borya's outfit. I checked the DQVC listing and it seems I just missed the chance to get his boots.
FUCK!
At least I'll be able to finish Ragnar's set in a couple weeks when it's up, but having to wait a whole year for the first batch of Guest Guys/Gals? That's cruel. ;-;

Also, just throwing this out there, but if any of you plan on going to Anime North this year, then for the love of god canvass for guests PLEASE!

The Fan skill "Reverse Cycle" reflects breath attacks. Combine that with the Paladin skill "Forebearance" and you can block breaths for the whole team!

And...yeah, looks like you're hosed as far as Borya's Boots go.

Mr. Fix

The Fan skill "Reverse Cycle" reflects breath attacks. Combine that with the Paladin skill "Forebearance" and you can block breaths for the whole team!

And...yeah, looks like you're hosed as far as Borya's Boots go.

Thanks. Also the Hoimi Table link is down. NO! I just got a grotto with Excalipurr. NOT LIKE THIS!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey all thinking about picking this up. I've never played a DQ game before and I traditionally hate first person combat... which I noticed this game actually isn't. Anyways, I'm mostly just curious in the combat system. I typically like turn based fighters, but is this game strategical and challenging?

For reference: my favorite turn based combat system is Persona 3/4.

Hey all thinking about picking this up. I've never played a DQ game before and I traditionally hate first person combat... which I noticed this game actually isn't. Anyways, I'm mostly just curious in the combat system. I typically like turn based fighters, but is this game strategical and challenging?

For reference: my favorite turn based combat system is Persona 3/4.

It's fairly easy to overlevel and simply pound your way through much of the game, but if you avoid grinding (and you should, always, in DQ games) then there will be lots of fights that require more than just mashing "Attack" the entire time.

There is a huge number of skills, spells, weapons, classes, and abilities in the game, so you have a ton of choices over team strategy. The basic strategy of buff -> debuff -> attack will get you through most of the game, but it takes some reasoning to know when to deploy certain things effectively.

Get it! The game is worth it.

ghibli99

Cool cool just picked one up on eBay. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!
Have fun with it, and don't be afraid of grinding in this particular installment. While it can over-level you for the main quest, there's more than enough in the post-game to challenge even those with the highest of levels, gear, and vocation mastery.

Top Bottom