• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Switch) trailer

EDarkness

Thought I read earlier that the switch CPU was comfirmed to be faster than the PS4/X1. Seems strange this would run at a worse frame rate.

I believe in theory it should be, but who knows what kind of customizations and stuff is going on. None of that should be taken as fact at the moment. It is what is it, currently.

Really depends on how early it is. I wonder when it'll hit in NA/EU if it comes out at all.

I would've preferred Builders, though.

Good point, where was Builders? Was it a victim of platform lock-in by engine - it's built on Sony's phyreengine and Sony would have provided support.

But there have been phyreengine games that have made it to other formats. Wonder if Builders 2 will be Unreal 4 instead.

LordKano

Wait, Malroth is an exclusive boss ?

How did they released two musou Dragon Quest on PS4 without ever including Malroth ?! That's like releasing Hyrule Warriors without Dodongo boss.

I'm kinda jealous of the exclusive content. Really wish PS4 got Ragnar.

But I'll be sticking with the PS4 version myself. Wasn't planning on buying a switch early on and the performance hits on this version aren't doing much to change my mind.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You missed a chance to repost the best one, this doozy that someone at Sony thought up.

sonycommercialpatent-6yqkz.jpg

Yep and Sony have patents in the PS2, and PS3 eras for always online. Fact of the matter is, patents dont dictate what's going to happen. These companies have tons of people sitting around thinking up things and patenting them

Who cares? The PS4 version of DQH1 was a piece of shit with unplayable framerate issues. Will be happy to pass on this.

I played it to completion all last week. This is not the case at all. Performance has been rock solid in my experience.

I have had the airship causing the console to sound like a jet turbine issue, but I haven't noticed any significant drops in performance within the game.

There was a Japanese gameplay version. it kinda looks direct feed ? I am really not sure but honestly ? it looks horrible. with lots of fps problems too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2-qLq1LZE

it does indeed look like its based on the vita version

Pretty sure the framerate problems come from the recording and not from the game itself.
I wouldn't rule it out of course that the game itself might have framerate problems, but since this was recorded off of a direct feed video the problem might lie in the recording process.

Fake EDIT: And as I've seen the complete footage (skip to 22:25) I am proven right. The framerate seems to be capped at 30fps (for multiplayer at least, they don't seem to play single player) and it has some mild dips when there are fullscreen effects but it's nowhere near as bad as that video I quoted.

The official trailer in the OP, posted to Squarenix's own channel, would be direct feed capture right? That'd probably be the best judge of framerate I'd imagine.

Didn't know this had exclusive content. It'd be a shame if it didn't make it to the west given the Vita version didn't. Local co-op/being able to play on the bus/train/toilet are features I care about!

I really just started the PS4 version of the first one. Thought hey I'll just sell it and wait for switch. Then I saw that I could maybe get ten bucks for it if I'm lucky. So tired of buying games and them quickly ending up worthless.

orioto

Good Art™
If in the end it looks poor i guess it will be more about SE being cheap and the vita version being mo quick to port than downgrading from the ps4 one.. it could be something like that..

Arkeband

Banned

How did they released two musou Dragon Quest on PS4 without ever including Malroth ?! That's like releasing Hyrule Warriors without Dodongo boss.

They had Darkdrium/Nokturnus from DQ6 and Zoma from DQ3 in DQH, and I believe they were originally Japanese DLC. Otherwise, the game had no other end-boss fanservice.

khaaan

Thread made me realize that we're looking at at least three years where people will be over-analyzing twice as much due to lack of info. "Is that docked or undocked?", "How does it perform undocked?", "Is performance improved when docked?", "God I hope that's the undocked version running.".

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Pretty sure the framerate problems come from the recording and not from the game itself.
I wouldn't rule it out of course that the game itself might have framerate problems, but since this was recorded off of a direct feed video the problem might lie in the recording process.

Fake EDIT: And as I've seen the complete footage (skip to 22:25) I am proven right. The framerate seems to be capped at 30fps (for multiplayer at least, they don't seem to play single player) and it has some mild dips when there are fullscreen effects but it's nowhere near as bad as that video I quoted.

A Mosou game at 30fps in coop?
Wouldn't be that bad at all.
Btw, waiting for EU confirmation about release date/price and framerate test (I'm ok with that middleground graphic so far), before proceeding buying it, or starting with the 1st episode on PS4 (it's around 20€ right now)

Raw64life

They probably knew well before they finished Heroes 1 that they were gonna be making another one.

Thread made me realize that we're looking at at least three years where people will be over-analyzing twice as much due to lack of info. "Is that docked or undocked?", "How does it perform undocked?", "Is performance improved when docked?", "God I hope that's the undocked version running.".

Same thing kind of already happens with PS4. Is it Pro or regular? Of course it's usually Pro footage these days even though 95% of PS4 owners have a regular PS4.

TunaLover

It's a musou game, has any additional gameplay mechanic? Saw some commands for your party? Looks lovely, I really like DQ artstyle, hopefully it realease overseas, and mmmh yeah the framerate is kinda bad... Maybe it's due multiplayer session in the trailer, not sure.

Begaria

It's a musou game, has any additional gameplay mechanic? Saw some commands for your party? Looks lovely, I really like DQ artstyle, hopefully it realease overseas, and mmmh yeah the framerate is kinda bad...

The first game is more musou compared to the second game. The second game is supposedly far closer to a more traditional action RPG with lighter musou elements compared to the first game.

Effect

More details came out about this version recently. Figured it would be good to add them to this thread. Originally reported by Nintendo Everything but GoNintendo compiled the info into a list.

http://nintendoeverything.com/squar...n-quest-heroes-i-ii-is-more-than-just-a-port/
http://gonintendo.com/stories/272440-dragon-quest-heroes-i-ii-new-gameplay-details-new-elements-for

- HD Rumble is being implemented
- feel vibration from the Joy-Con when slashing enemies, and it differs for each monster
- slashing a Slime will give a jelly feeling
- slash a Golem for a rough / hard vibration
- when slashing a bunch of enemies, you'll be able to notice that a Metal Slime is hidden somewhere in the crowd
- difficulty level and game balance has been adjusted
- improved elements introduced for Dragon Quest Heroes II will now be applied to the first game
- includes Ragnar McRyan from Dragon Quest IV as a new character
- Malroth from Dragon Quest II is also appearing as a boss
- more details coming during a live stream close to launch

Can imagine improvements from the second game being added to the first game could be a big deal. Really enjoying hearing more and more games have the HD Rumble support as well. Can only hope that Fire Emblem Warriors has that as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope it doesn't sound like trolling, but...I'd like to compare the footage they've shown with the PS4/PS3/PSVita versions of the game. I've included Vita because they've played parts of DQHII during the live-stream.

Effect

the live stream you can watch again now
pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpojZCTZqbo

First gameplay footage starts at minute 33 into the video. Still watching but looks pretty nice so far. Note noticing any frame rate issues. I still hold what we saw before wasn't docked footage or at least an old build, maybe even both. At 1 hour and 09 minutes they're in the portal room, from the original images that were posted in this thread.

EDarkness

Oh! The game looks nice. I'm more stoked now. Can't wait to play it! I hope it comes here sooner rather than later. Watching the rest of the stream now....

EDarkness

Is this I or II from that point?

Game seems to run better than the last video I saw...but that video had a giant boss and lots of shit happening so I can't really compare.

They have the same fight in this video. It's towards the end where they take on the boss. Heh, much better play all around, I think. I think the game looks great, in any case. I hope the demo come out here.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
シドー was really zipping around without noticeable slowdown, so it definitely seems to have been optimized to a degree. Will DEFINITELY try the demo out and if it goes well plan on buying. Glad I held off on a PC version purchase.

jonno394

Gameplay looks to run much better this time, graphics around the portal are still not up to par though!

Would be very tempted to buy this if it were English friendly, hoping it comes to the West!

jonno394

Just watched the battle with the huge blue reptilian monster about 1hr17mins in, the pop in and pop out of the creatures scales is so off putting and amateurish :/

Was that the same on other console versions?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Seems pretty good honesty
Boh visually and frame rate wise especially considering the video was coop
Very interested especially because I still have to play the first and the second isn't out bye to
If they will confirm it for EU at a decent price the portability + homey and the double package sound interesting

LordKano

Considering how the second one isn't even out on PS4 in EU/US, don't count on a localization for this one any time soon.

Effect

Also depends on who has publishing duty. Square Enix or Nintendo for anything Dragon Quest related as far as Nintendo hardware outside of Japan is concerned.

Ridley327

Considering how the second one isn't even out on PS4 in EU/US, don't count on a localization for this one any time soon.

I'd assume that the solo release of DQH2 will enjoy a few months by itself, and then they'll put this out. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo steps in to publish it themselves to keep their relationship with Squenix strong, despite not needing to do any actual work.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If Fire Emblem Warriors is a Fall title it would be cool if they can get this out in the west this summer.

Top Bottom