• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Switch) trailer

BigEmil

So is the Switch version the PS3 version? Or improved Vita version? So far it seems graphics are downgraded from PS4 to Switch, less enemies and more pop-in on screen, 30fps instead of 60fps don't know if I'm missing anything else don't know the resolution

Ridley327

Disgaea 5 ? frame rate problem ? on a tactical turn based RPG ? WTF...

It drops frames at times on PS4, too. The games are deceptively intensive with all of the spell effects and the number crunching going on all at once.

Not that I don't think it couldn't be optimized better on either platform, but appearances can be deceiving with what a game is doing under the hood.

Raw64life

Was leaning towards the PS4 version anyway because it's likely releasing earlier than the Switch version in NA. Now it's a slam dunk.

BigEmil

It drops frames at times on PS4, too. The games are deceptively intensive with all of the spell effects and the number crunching going on all at once.

Not that I don't think it couldn't be optimized better on either platform, but appearances can be deceiving with what a game is doing under the hood.
What part of the game was that in? I played roughly 40 hours of it and never experienced any frame drops even with it being 60fps which is normally more susceptible to it

noshten

patents are literally irrelevant. MS has a patent for inserting commercials and ads into actual games.

I didn't realize we had such a fortune teller on the boards, perhaps you can also give me the loto numbers. I don't see why my speculation is any more wrong than your speculation.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't realize we had such a fortune teller on the boards, perhaps you can also give me the loto numbers. I don't see why my speculation is any more wrong than your speculation.

Because the secret sauce nonsense generally derails everything. Let's stick to actual realism here and what switch can actually do

Kandinsky

So is the Switch version the PS3 version? Or improved Vita version? So far it seems graphics are downgraded from PS4 to Switch, less enemies and more pop-in on screen, 30fps instead of 60fps don't know if I'm missing anything else don't know the resolution

To me it looks like H1 is based on the ps4 version and H2 based on ps3/vita, you can tell in the trailer that H1 clearly has better looking effects/lighting than H2, it's just weird, like they rushed H2 port or something.

//DEVIL//

I think the DQH2 Switch port is based on the Vita port...

Was leaning towards the PS4 version anyway because it's likely releasing earlier than the Switch version in NA. Now it's a slam dunk.

I already have the first on PS4. so in theory I want to pick the PS4 version for the second. but this sound very tempting 2 games in 1 on the go.

I need to see direct gameplay compared to the PS4 to see how bad its, if its based on the PS3 version with better fps and graphics, I am in. if its the ps vita version then no thank you. ill pass till its very cheap.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Yes, 3. Loto was the playable character in Dragon Quest 3.

Guymelef

To me it looks like H1 is based on the ps4 version and H2 based on ps3/vita, you can tell in the trailer that H1 clearly has better looking effects/lighting than H2, it's just weird, like they rushed H2 port or something.

This doesn't seem PS4 version...
2560_3000.jpg

PS4
Rage%2BQuitter%2B-%2BDragon%2BQuest%2BHeroes%2B-%2BGigantes.png

EDarkness

Wouldn't make any sense to base the game on the Vita version considering the NS is WAY more powerful than that. I'm guessing this is a down and dirty port to get the game out there quickly. Hopefully with more time they'll be able to iron everything out. I'll still pick it up since it seems fun.

RootCause

1, and 2... Hmmm might just get this instead of the ps4 release. Love this kind of games on portable. And I can always get the ps4 version when it's cheap.

Kouriozan

There was a Japanese gameplay version. it kinda looks direct feed ? I am really not sure but honestly ? it looks horrible. with lots of fps problems too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2-qLq1LZE

it does indeed look like its based on the vita version
Trying to correct this before this spread disinformation, this is NOT direct feed, here's the actual video

https://youtu.be/h0-6o6yXXWw at 22 mins.

You can see it's capped at 30 FPS but the performance are not as horrible as that riff raff channel video.

Effect

I believe they were playing in handheld mode at the Japan event. Here is the video from Nintendo's official channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-6o6yXXWw

At the 22 minute point in the video you can see them sit down. One clearly has the Switch with the joycons on both sides. The others have controllers (pro controllers and the joycon controller with the grip). They're all looking down while playing as well. Remember the Switch can be played with just the screen standing up and you using a the controller. What this means is we've likely not seeing any "docked" gameplay of this game yet. Maybe the trailer footage is based or not. The footage likely isn't though.

Just because it doesn't look as good as the PS4 version, no reason it should, doesn't mean it looks bad. I never understood this to be honest. I looks just fine, especially if this is how it looks in the portable mode.

Eusis

There's a set of comparison videos I linked earlier. PS3 Heroes 2 notably has inferior geometry versus the PS4 version, while the Vita basically lacks foliage altogether in the open field parts and the FPS dies. So if geometry is the basis of saying DQH2 is based on the Vita version, uhh, you need more than that. Though I can see the PS3 being the baseline the Vita version worked with but whittled down further.

Need to see Switch footage again though.

//DEVIL//

Trying to correct this before this spread disinformation, this is NOT direct feed, here's the actual video

https://youtu.be/h0-6o6yXXWw at 22 mins.

You can see it's capped at 30 FPS but the performance are not as horrible as that riff raff channel video.

its actually the same video ? but of course with better image quality as you mentioned .

Still, this cant be off the PS4 version. it really looks like its based on the Vita version. you kinda can tell from those bad effects compared to the ps4 version.

Effect

its actually the same video ? but of course with better image quality as you mentioned .

Still, this cant be off the PS4 version. it really looks like its based on the Vita version. you kinda can tell from those bad effects compared to the ps4 version.

We're going have to alter how we look at Switch games. We're going to need to know if what we're looking at is the game running docked or undocked before comparisons can start to be made. Chances are an undocked game could look closer to a Wii U or PS3 game. While a docked could look closer to a PS4/XB1 game (depending on art style, etc). Or depending how it's made and optimized could sit right in the middle in either mode. I do think is undocked footage.

Gameplay of the Vita version for comparison : https://youtu.be/d1dvXoxKuEU
We need a video of a big open space of the Switch version, thankfully we will have all the time to judge once it release at launch in Japan.

Screenshots would be good too - it's really hard to actually tell the difference when you're working from two fuzzy streams. Heck, Square Enix were able to hide the absolutely appalling resolution of World of Final Fantasy, and its lighting deficiencies, that way.

//DEVIL//

We're going have to alter how we look at Switch games. We're going to need to know if what we're looking at is the game running docked or undocked before comparisons can start to be made. Chances are an undocked game could look closer to a Wii U or PS3 game. While a docked could look closer to a PS4/XB1 game (depending on art style, etc). Or depending how it's made and optimized could sit right in the middle in either mode. I do think is undocked footage.
I kinda thought he is playing in dock mode because he was holding the controller grip ? Anyway I do hope it's based on the ps3 version with improvement. It doesn't make sense to use a Vita port . I would be seriously disappointed if it was .

Effect

I kinda thought he is playing in dock mode because he was holding the controller grip ? Anyway I do hope it's based on the ps3 version with improvement. It doesn't make sense to use a Vita port . I would be seriously disappointed if it was .

You can use the controllers in undocked mode as well. You don't have to hold the whole unit in your hand or just use the joycons unattached. You can use the grip or use the pro controller. It actually makes more sense they'd be using the undocked mode to showcase how group play would go since that would be important to the Japanese market and with this particular game as well.

Yeah no way in hell this is Vita anything. It's either an upgraded PS3 port or a downgraded PS4 port.

No, it doesn't, even PS3 seems to look better
https://youtu.be/UjF9Lm2_vSI?t=1m20s

PS3 has the self-shadowing in that video, yeah.

Wonder why this port is so deficient, when Nintendo was able to boost Mario Kart 8 up to 1080p60 in docked mode and that game uses deferred rendering with loads of light sources.

I'll be interested in seeing the filesize too, I can't imagine Square Enix using the 32GB game card, but even then, fitting two games (which were both 22GB+22GB on PS4, not sure about PS3) onto a 16GB or even a cheaper 8GB feels like a stretch. Asset quality may have been intentionally reduced because of that, but it still doesn't explain the framerate or missing shadows, which the Switch is easily capable of doing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As usual with inferior HW released mid-gen, judgments are too harsh, not only because of "negative emotions" but also because the peception of up-to-date graphics has changed. this is why too many times we saw "it looks like a wii game" said about wiiu games lol

btw, clearly inferior to the PS4 version, still pretty good graphically for me to play it portable and in one package (if it will arrive here), not having purchased yet the PS4 version of the first one and still waiting for the secondo me, but the framerate will be crucial for my decision

Effect

We're going to ultimately need to see a docked and undocked footage of this game. I hope we see it soon before it releases in Japan.

Pif

Banned
Why does 99% of any japanese game trailer needs to have so much hysterical girly voice yelling?

Really gets in the way of enjoying the trailer, couldn't get myself to watch further the first 30 seconds.

Looks fine I guess. Curious to see DQXI on Switch.

//DEVIL//

You can use the controllers in undocked mode as well. You don't have to hold the whole unit in your hand or just use the joycons unattached. You can use the grip or use the pro controller. It actually makes more sense they'd be using the undocked mode to showcase how group play would go since that would be important to the Japanese market and with this particular game as well.

Yeah no way in hell this is Vita anything. It's either an upgraded PS3 port or a downgraded PS4 port.

After watching the PS3 video. I honestly don't think its a port from the PS3 version either. both PS3 and PS4 version has this toyish look kinda graphics. then ps vita has this cartoonish look ? maybe its the texture ? this version looks allot closer to a Vita than PS3 version

Oregano

PS3 has the self-shadowing in that video, yeah.

Wonder why this port is so deficient, when Nintendo was able to boost Mario Kart 8 up to 1080p60 in docked mode and that game uses deferred rendering with loads of light sources.

I'll be interested in seeing the filesize too, I can't imagine Square Enix using the 32GB game card, but even then, fitting two games (which were both 22GB+22GB on PS4, not sure about PS3) onto a 16GB or even a cheaper 8GB feels like a stretch. Asset quality may have been intentionally reduced because of that, but it still doesn't explain the framerate or missing shadows, which the Switch is easily capable of doing.

To be fair a lot(most?) of the assets will be shared between the two games so putting both together should be smaller than the individual games summed up.

Serenity

Thought I read earlier that the switch CPU was comfirmed to be faster than the PS4/X1. Seems strange this would run at a worse frame rate.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Switch version isn't even confirmed overseas.

It's on Vita as well, you can't use DQH for PS4-Switch graphical comparisons.
Of course you can. The whole point of comparing the same game on different platforms is to inform potential buyers of the differences so they can make an informed decision, not to fuel console warz.

Top Bottom