• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

EDarkness

I know this thread is primarily about the graphics of the game, but I wanted to chime in now that I've played the game. I think the looks great and I have a good feeling about Dragon Quest XI on the system. Looks great. Has some frame issues, but they don't bother me as much as I thought they would. But outside of that, the game is fun as hell. Can't wait for this game to come out in English in the West. I have no problems with the NS version of the game. Would be nice if it comes out at the same time as the PS4 version later this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly impressed with the results they're achieving considering it's a launch title that likely had a very tight development schedule. Then again, I primarily view the Switch as a portable system, so maybe my expectations are a bit lower than they should be.

Very disappointing. Appears to me like it's just not optomized well for the hardware? How on earth does it run that much worse in handheld mode when it drops the resolution to 720p?

Bad port. Either that or the assets and effects they are using need the extra hardware power.

How does the game run on the PS3?

OP... Are you saying that a handheld have less power than the PS4? Are you sure about that?

This is not what this comparison is about. We are all aware about the power gap. But those tests show how that lack of power actually manifests in actual games. Which is interesting, especially if you own both systems.

This is not what this comparison is about. We are all aware about the power gap. But those tests show how that lack of power actually manifests in actual games. Which is interesting, especially if you own both systems.

Exactly. Pretty much this.

Also, I love the concept of a hybrid, in that it lets fans argue that it's a "handheld" when convenient... But also argue that it's s console (i.e., the word Nintendo kept using during the January reveal) at other convenient times. LOL...

Toni

People thought Switch would perform on par with PS4?

4DVOIqr.gif

As long as this isn't indicative of the actual possible performance from the Switch then I don't really care. Shame that more effort wasn't put in though.

Eusis

People thought Switch would perform on par with PS4?

http://i.imgur.com/4DVOIqr.gif
Realistically? People wanted to see just how close it could have gotten. And frankly, I think this level at a solid 30 would have been amazing.

Instead it looks like we need a few more cuts or just more optimization before it can be satisfactory.

EDIT: Though it seems the Musou engine has always had these sorts of issues with performance, and I'm inclined to think it has a lot to do with HOW they decide to use it.

Eusis

Probably. Doesn't matter to me, since even after I eventually buy a Switch any PS4/Switch title that is released I'll purchase the PS4 version.
It's situational to me. Granted for DQH it's easy to go PS4 in my eyes (though it really is pretty nice at 30 FPS, shame it can't hold that) but for something like Disgaea it's likely it can hold the same fidelity or nearly the same, and the series has shined most on handhelds for me... and I can treat that as a console game as desired here.

But it is likely that most things that are technically demanding enough I'd rather go PS4/PC with.

Seik

Banned
Just came back from work and watched the DF video.

You know, when I saw the docked part I was like, wow, it drops at 20fps...

Then you get portable mode which is absolute shit. :lol

This compilation was a damn good concept, too bad there wasn't enough dev time allowed for it. Hopefully if it comes out in the west, a more recent cartridge could have an eventual update, if they EVER do it...I hope so.

Just played the demo and i really don't get what makes these games fun. Isn't it just basically running around and mahjong buttons killing whatever hoards of enemies you find? It's all way to mindless.

You can get the Switch demo of this from the Japanese eshop store if you want to check it out. It's not bad but the framerate does suffer a lot.

Just played the demo and i really don't get what makes these games fun. Isn't it just basically running around and mahjong buttons killing whatever hoards of enemies you find? It's all way to mindless.
I haven't played Dragon Quest Hereoes but that isn't what the games are about, Hyrule Warriors for instance is a tower defense game, you can ignore the vast majority of field enemies.

So you will buy the PS4 version of DQ XI ignoring the handheld capabilities. Right?

Definitely. 99.9% of my portable gaming is done at home, so if the Switch is just going to get inferior versions of games that are also on PS4 from third parties it will be a first party Nintendo game player to me when I eventually pick one up.

RM8

PS4 version runs a 0FPS when I'm on the train, though :p And that's basically why this version exists (same with the Vita version).

I downloaded the demo earlier today on the Switch, and the frame rate is horrible. Like, it's even worse than I thought looking at videos. Even with nothing going on, the frame rate when you do an attack (no enemies around mind you) is amazingly terrible.

Oddly though, when you look around, the frame rate is amazingly smooth, and almost seems TOO fast.

This is a horrible port. I was hoping maybe it would be fixed, but since they are selling it like this (on the JP store), I doubt it.

We'll see if it is fixed when (if) it is brought over to the West, but as it stands now, it is a very easy pass.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Apparently there's been an update for this, can't find any patch notes though. Anyone have an idea what (if any) major changes there were?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Wow, this might be the most insufferable post + gif combo I've seen on gaf. Giddy about being "right" about a thing no one even thought was a possibility?

Maybe not about this specifically, but some people were convinced the Switch had secret sauce.

I played the demo and the game looks really ugly and the framerate is horrible. The only reaso to get this on Switch is if you really want a portable (flawed) experience. If that's not what you're looking for just get it for PS4 or PC.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Maybe not about this specifically, but some people were convinced the Switch had secret sauce.

The likelihood of a KT launch port pushing the system to its limits is rather low...they had a deadline to meet and delivered the best they could. Secret sauce has nothing to do with it.

Pancake Mix

The likelihood of a KT launch port pushing the system to its limits is rather low...they had a deadline to meet and delivered the best they could. Secret sauce has nothing to do with it.

Sure, but don't expect a comparable fidelity in all aspects as PS4, ever. It cannot perform on par for a complex 3D game. Launch has nothing to do with that simple fact.

Rodin

Sure, but don't expect a comparable fidelity in all aspects as PS4, ever. It cannot perform on par for a complex 3D game. Launch has nothing to do with that simple fact.
Sure, but that doesn't mean that anyone should expect this port of being indicative of anything. Game performs like trash everywhere, even on more powerful and already familiar hardware. This is a new platform.

Snake pass on the otherhand looks the same...

Nah. It looks remarkably good all things considered, but you can clearly see that lighting and shaders have been toned down a bit. Draw distance should be different as well iirc.

Hasney

So no-one knows what's in the patch then?

Not at all, could have been much better optimised though. Hell, even KTs first PC efforts were rough as all hell.

Kremzeek

Why would I want to play a game like this anchored to a Television or Monitor?

so now being "anchored" to an HD display is a negative?

what do you mean "a game like this"?

i played the previous DQ Heroes game and thought it was crazy fun, and it was so cool to finally see DQ graphics large in HD.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

No one expects Switch to handle 1:1 what devs can offer on PS4 - the PS4 is much more powerful, so thats a given and not worth a discussion at this point.

Pancake Mix

Sure, but that doesn't mean that anyone should expect this port of being indicative of anything. Game performs like trash everywhere, even on more powerful and already familiar hardware. This is a new platform.

Wrong. The performance is decent on a vanilla PS4, and that's without the Pro's boost mode.

The notion of a Switch title effectively offering a 720p/1080p version of a last-gen console experience fits in closely with Nintendo's own efforts on the new hybrid. However, there's a massive dividing line between Switch and PS4 that goes beyond image and art quality - and that's performance. The PS4 version delivers a 60fps experience with some drops into the 50s. It's not perfect, but it feels fine overall.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-dragon-quest-heroes-2-switch-vs-ps4-comparison

bomblord1

Banned
Wrong. The performance is decent on a vanilla PS4, and that's without the Pro's boost mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-dragon-quest-heroes-2-switch-vs-ps4-comparison

The game wasn't a rushed launch port on the PS4 and the poster wasn't explicitly referring to that game. He seems to be saying games with bad performance can be released on more powerful hardware. Ex: Some Unity games on PS4 perform bad despite not doing anything that would stress the hardware.

Top Bottom