• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest I out today internationally for iOS/Android [now up in NA]

Aeana

Why is everything on iOS first or exclusive to it ffs. Japan and their Apple infatuation
For the record, the Android versions of these launch simultaneously with iOS in Japan. Also, when DQ4 released in NA, it was on Android too. So don't count it out just yet.

Anth0ny

It's not terrible. I didn't have a lot of trouble in DQ1. 2, on the other hand... Navigating the outer edges of the lighthouse with these controls without falling off was a trial.

Oh jeez, I just finished DQ2 for the first time and that sounds terrible :p

Shiina

For the record, the Android versions of these launch simultaneously with iOS in Japan. Also, when DQ4 released in NA, it was on Android too. So don't count it out just yet.

Has there been any word about a Western release of FFT on Android? It's been almost two years since the Japanese version came out.

randomkid

How's the music, does it sound like SNES music?

I think I might get this for the novelty if I can spend Amazon Android coins on it, I've never actually played it.

Meffer

I don't see it on the app store on my iphone. This might be the first game I might actually buy on my phone.

Aeana

I don't see it on the app store on my iphone. This might be the first game I might actually buy on my phone.
At the time of this thread's creation, it was only out in New Zealand. I don't think it's up on the NA store yet.

Aeana

I was totally expecting this game to be $7.99. Good price even i'll play this on my phone!
This game is 300 yen in Japan, so it looks like they did a straight conversion. DQ2 is 500 yen, so I guess expect $4.99 for that. And I'm sure DQ3 will be even more.

Zee-Row

Banned
Damn they aren't using Loto as the name of the legendary hero? I thought we would finally see continuity with this series as far as English translations go.

Meffer

This game is 300 yen in Japan, so it looks like they did a straight conversion. DQ2 is 500 yen, so I guess expect $4.99 for that. And I'm sure DQ3 will be even more.

Of course it will. It's the most popular game in the series.

I think Square does a lot of their 2D mobile games in Cocos2D-X which is a fork of Cocos2D designed to use C++ instead of Obj-C for easier porting. You can compile Coco2D-X for a lot of platforms without much hassle.

Aeana

Of course it will. It's the most popular game in the series.
They don't price based on popularity, though, but instead on perceived value. For example, they could not get away with charging for DQ3 what they charged for DQ8.

Never played a dragon quest game before. Been looking for a good, but not outrageously priced RPG on my iphone for bus rides. (until Smash comes out)

Is DQ1 good? Or should I wait and see for sequels?

Aeana

Never played a dragon quest game before. Been looking for a good, but not outrageously priced RPG on my iphone for bus rides. (until Smash comes out)

DQ1 is a very basic game. It's the archetype from which the genre basically spawned, but it's a simplistic game in its own right. One-on-one battles, one main goal (beat the end dude) with a couple of small goals (rescue the princess, get good equipment) to motivate you to get stronger, etc. If that sounds okay to you, then I do recommend it. But it's dramatically simpler than every other game in the franchise, or really, other Japanese RPGs in general. It's also very short. I can beat it in one sitting, for example.

Erdrick

Damn they aren't using Loto as the name of the legendary hero? I thought we would finally see continuity with this series as far as English translations go.

They started using Erdrick and older names again once they did 8's translation. Hell, I have most of Erdrick's equipment in DQ9. I always preferred that name to Loto/Roto, accuracy be damned, it just sounds more suitable to me.

I haven't bought VIII on Android since, as novel as having portable DQ8 is... The US version of VIII on PS2 is as close to DQ perfection for me in terms of visuals and sound. It's how I always wanted the series to look when I played it originally back in 89. I don't think it could be done justice on a phone... I'd rather play it on a huge TV.

In IV's case, I already have the DS version and while the party chat being restored is nice, not quite enough to get me to bite.. yet. I'll likely pick this up at some point.

As soon as this hits the Google Play store, I'm on it, especially at that price. Being as we only ever got the NES and GBC versions of this, I'm eager to play it again.

Then again, this and II are just mere appetizers to the greatness that is Dragon Quest III.

I'm ready to revisit Alefgard yet again.

Zee-Row

Banned

That's pretty fair I guess. Did the original Dragon Quest Monsters games ever get released on iOS?

Bitanator

It is not the best to start with in my opinion. I've played it quite a few times, enjoyable for what it is, but if you never played a dragon quest before, i'd say jump in at either Dragon Quest 3 or 5

Zee-Row

Banned
Dragon Quest 2 on NES was pretty manageable until the end of the game where you just hit this huge difficulty spike. Even a well leveled party could easily by wiped out if you weren't careful.

Aeana

sure, just wanted to point that out cuz without ultima, wizardry etc years before there'd be no jrpgs as we now know them.
I'm certainly well aware of the history. Fact is that DQ wasn't the first Japanese RPG to take after those, either. Black Onyx and Mugen no Shinzou came before. It's just that DQ brought it to the mainstream.

The price is right, but i'm dirty Android scum.
So they're ignoring the little money I've managed to collect from begging and selling my body.

Zaku

But who would want to put themselves through this?

Don't get me wrong, it's an important milestone in the history of gaming, but the game is about 80% grinding, and that's if you're being generous with the amount of time it takes to find and explore the various locales in the game.

Then again, it does look a lot prettier, and if it's the SNES version, it's got some fairly significant changes like making the Fire Sword a usable item and better XP for boss fights, which might make the grind less of an issue...

...and I'm downloading a copy. Damn it.

Meffer

But who would want to put themselves through this?

Don't get me wrong, it's an important milestone in the history of gaming, but the game is about 80% grinding, and that's if you're being generous with the amount of time it takes to find and explore the various locales in the game.

Then again, it does look a lot prettier, and if it's the SNES version, it's got some fairly significant changes like making the Fire Sword a usable item and better XP for boss fights, which might make the grind less of an issue...

...and I'm downloading a copy. Damn it.

It's simplicity is it's appeal.

I'm certain it will also release on Android in English.

I kind of hope it doesn't. I will buy it if it does, but I'll also feel crappy about supporting Square Enix 1) at all, 2) in their shift to mobile, and 3) in their dead-end strategy of relying on past success instead of delivering high quality new products in a timely fashion. It's easy to avoid that drama as long as they're keen to ignore platforms I own.

The new localization is fantastic, by the way.

And it's not a SNES port, at least not entirely, as the graphics and music are different.

I might buy this and wait until I get my iPad Mini this Christmas, but it's short enough I can play it twice.

Shizuka

The new localization is fantastic, by the way.

And it's not a SNES port, at least not entirely, as the graphics and music are different.

I might buy this and wait until I get my iPad Mini this Christmas, but it's short enough I can play it twice.

How do you know that much without buying the game? I've been looking for videos, but I can't find them.

terrisus

Hopefully it doesn't take as long as their Android version of Dimensions.

Anyway, yeah, I own Dragon Quest for NES and GBC already, but, who am I kidding, once it comes to Android, I'll get it again.

This is the game that got me into RPGs.
Got a free copy with my Nintendo power subscription and oh man...

When I finally beat the game I felt like I had truly lived an adventure!

I'm amazed I made it through the game without a strategy guide at 7 or 8 years old.
I must have gotten advice from some friends at school because I remember some really obtuse parts.

Oh yeah, DQ3, best NES DQ game. I said it.

I don't think I could play through it again (especially on my phone), but hats off to those of you that will.

Top Bottom