• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VI Renamed Dragon Quest VI: Realms Of Revelation?

Oxx

john tv said:
If it wasn't coming out, I doubt the "Revelation" trademark would've popped up. Give it time -- even if it was coming, it wouldn't be smart to put it out this close to DQIX. They'd just be cannibalizing sales if they did.

It's probably going to get it in the neck no matter when they release it with the mainline Pokemon games and 3DS juggernaught looming on the horizon.

But if Nintendo are planning to push IX all the way until the end of the year (and beyond), it might make sense to completely deny the existence of VI for now.

Have been really looking forward to finally playing VI for a long time, so I'd be incredibly disappointed if it ended up not getting released here.

fates

Oxx said:
It's probably going to get it in the neck no matter when they release it with the mainline Pokemon games and 3DS juggernaught looming on the horizon.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Sure if they released it last month it could have hurt DQ9, maybe even this month. But if they wait too long they'll have the 3DS there to completely overshadow it.

I thought the Revelations trademark might mean something too, but I dunno, time isn't on their side.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DXB-KNIGHT said:
What will we do when we're out of girls?

fu5c9s.jpg

iclash

I'm probably mistaken, but don't games released in the EU require multiple translations? That could be a factor in canceling an EU release.

Hobbun

Well, as long as they have an English localization and release of some kind. Then the other territories can still import.

Peff

Languages are not going to stop the release of this game, SE has released plenty of English-only games in Europe. Translation work started quite a bit of time ago and has probably been finished for a while anyways, so it's probably something else.

Macstorm

People need to learn to speak SE. They will always say "No plans at this time" or "it's not in the cards" until they are ready to announce it. Not sure what people were really expecting them to reply officially on Twitter, but it's not going to be a confirmation.

Hobbun

Macstorm said:
People need to learn to speak SE. They will always say "No plans at this time" or "it's not in the cards" until they are ready to announce it. Not sure what people were really expecting them to reply officially on Twitter, but it's not going to be a confirmation.

The whole point is they already have announced it. All three (IV, V & VI) were officially announced for EU and NA back in 2007.

So where I agree with your statement if a game has not been announced yet, no reason to take their vague 'not planned right now' with any concerns. But as I said, the game has officially been announced.

What they really should have said is “We are still have plans for it, but TBD at this time.” I take “Not on the cards right now, sorry” as a lot different.

Macstorm

Hobbun said:
The whole point is they already have announced it. All three (IV, V & VI) were officially announced for EU and NA back in 2007.

So where I agree with your statement if a game has not been announced yet, no reason to take their vague 'not planned right now' with any concerns. But as I said, the game has officially been announced.

What they really should have said is “We are still have plans for it, but TBD at this time.” I take “Not on the cards right now, sorry” as a lot different.
SE is just really weird like that. Especially SE Europe, I imagine. Their definition of "announced" is different. They've only given a logo and a subtitle, never a single press release saying "Dragon Quest VI is coming." Not that this should mean anything, but their Twitter folks likely have to follow the "not announced" line for now.

Hobbun

inner-G said:
This game is so gorgeous on SFC, idk if i even want a remake.

But I would like an English release.

And to Macstorm, SE did give a press release back in May of 2008 for all three games to be released in NA and EU. However, due to my work’s lovely web filtering, I can’t give you a link. If someone else can oblige, would be much appreciated.

Dragon Quest IX has been relatively popular here, maybe they think releasing DQVI might be a step back for the franchise here as people new to the series might expect something like DQIX and be disapointed. I really hope that's not the case though.

Macstorm said:
People need to learn to speak SE. They will always say "No plans at this time" or "it's not in the cards" until they are ready to announce it.

In particular, I read that as "it's not in the cards (to give you any news about DQ6)" rather than "the localization isn't happening" which they'd never have the guy manning the Twitter account officially reveal anyway.

Macstorm

Hobbun said:
But I would like an English release.

And to Macstorm, SE did give a press release back in May of 2008 for all three games to be released in NA and EU. However, due to my work’s lovely web filtering, I can’t give you a link. If someone else can oblige, would be much appreciated.
Oh, yeah. I found that one. Good call. I had forgotten all about that Zenithia press release, having been so long ago now. Honestly, I can't see this game not making it, but charlequin just said, it's more that the Twitterer couldn't say anything I imagine.

EDIT: And while I think this one will still make it, they have quietly canned another announced project before. The Last Remnant on PS3, even though it's not been officially canned.

fates

Peff said:
Languages are not going to stop the release of this game, SE has released plenty of English-only games in Europe. Translation work started quite a bit of time ago and has probably been finished for a while anyways, so it's probably something else.

Aeana indicated in the Q1 SE lineup thread the translations was done or near done.

It's strange they wouldn't release something they finished working on. Just seems like throwing money away. It must an extremely dismal outlook if they don't even think they can cover the costs that they not release it at all.

Carlisle

Hobbun said:
Well, as long as they have an English localization and release of some kind. Then the other territories can still import.
This. It can be EU-only or AUS/NZ-only or India-only or South Africa-only. I don't care. Just make it publicly available in the English language in some way SE.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
fates said:
Aeana indicated in the Q1 SE lineup thread the translations was done or near done.

It's strange they wouldn't release something they finished working on. Just seems like throwing money away. It must an extremely dismal outlook if they don't even think they can cover the costs that they not release it at all.

Kinda OT but it really sucks Aeana left the forum. She was definitely one of the better posters on here... (same with Segata). Wouldn't mind seeing her around and reassuring everyone that we will eventually get DQ6 DS here.

Hobbun

Can you guys please quote what is being said? At least the important portion? Sites are blocked for me (at work).

fates

Maxed-out Dragon Quest IX and looking for another serving of handheld RPG questing? Don't hold your breath – Square Enix has seemingly ditched plans for a European release of its Dragon Quest VI remake.

Responding to a request for news on the title on its Twitter feed, a spokesperson for Square Enix Europe wrote, "Not on the cards right now – sorry!"

When it was first announced in 2008, Square promised the game would be coming to the the US and Europe.

The remake of the sixth game in the series – the only one never to see a Western release – came out in Japan in January this year.

It's a strange decision – the excellent Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, released earlier this year, has sold very respectably outside of Japan.

We've put in a request with Square Enix's US branch to see if it sees things differently.

The good news is now a press site is going to put in a request. Maybe they'll answer them differently. I emailed them, myself. They actually sent me the incorrect bot reply. Instead of the "no plans, but that doesn't mean it's never happening", I got the one you get for giving feedback.

Hobbun

Ok, thanks.

Charlequin brought up a good point earlier in the guy that left the twitter message probably was not a reliable source of information and that the "not in the cards, sorry" may have just been a response to not being able to answer any questions.

So my point is, there is no confirmation on a cancellation in any sort, even for EU. Probably just a big misunderstanding, like usual.

Foffy

Banned
Lard said:
Fucking Nintendo, it's Mother and Fatal Frame and Xenoblade all over again.

Fuck those fuckers.

Could be The Last Story, too...;__;

Oh well, there's always the insanely devoted fan-translating community to rely on if it all falls under. :lol

fates

Even if Eurogamer jumped the gun, they seem to have requested clarification from Square Enix of NA. Hopefully a solid answer one way or another is given.

Hobbun

fates said:
Even if Eurogamer jumped the gun, they seem to have requested clarification from Square Enix of NA. Hopefully a solid answer one way or another is given.

Agreed.

But if it’s confirmation that DQ VI is not making it out this way, I’m going to start knocking over some magazine racks.

fates

Well, at least it would be closure. Instead of playing a guessing game for another year.

This sets up a bad precedent for them. They never canned an announced localization. Last Remnant PS3 never came out anywhere (but it's still available on PC/360, so...), so it's a slightly different scenario in that case.

Hobbun

fates said:
Well, at least it would be closure. Instead of playing a guessing game for another year.

This sets up a bad precedent for them. They never canned an announced localization. Last Remnant PS3 never came out anywhere (but it's still available on PC/360, so...), so it's a slightly different scenario in that case.

Well, there was another scenario as well. Ironically, DQ VI once again. This time for the PS2. It was announced for NA but they dumped it at not long before it would have come over. There was even an advertisement for the game in the back of the NA DQ VII manual.

This would tick me off so much if SE did it again. But, still not giving up hope. Nothing has been confirmed.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Hobbun said:
Well, there was another scenario as well. Ironically, DQ VI once again. This time for the PS2. It was announced for NA but they dumped it at not long before it would have come over. There was even an advertisement for the game in the back of the NA DQ VII manual.

This would tick me off so much if SE did it again. But, still not giving up hope. Nothing has been confirmed.
Many incorrect facts here.

Dragon Warrior IV, not VI, for PS1, not PS2, was announced in the manual of Dragon Warrior VII by Enix America, not Square-Enix. A huge factor in that not coming to fruition was the closure of Hearbeat, the developers of the game. Therefore programming aspects needed for localization could not happen and having another developer dive into the code was not a possibility due to the way it was coded.

This key factor is not present here and we have had (hearsay) confirmation both that the localization is complete and that the game was still coming out by well respected members here. Correct, that does not guarantee anything, but comparing this to what happened concerning DWIV is irrelevant.

madara

Oh no no no no no! This cant happen. DQ9 didnt hold a candle to this trilogy I need the last one! It just has to come out. Lets gather one thousand fans and tattoo DQ6 on our asses and moon SE offices.

Hobbun

Princess Skittles said:

Dragon Warrior IV, not VI, for PS1, not PS2, was announced in the manual of Dragon Warrior VII by Enix America, not Square-Enix. A huge factor in that not coming to fruition was the closure of Hearbeat, the developers of the game. Therefore programming aspects needed for localization could not happen and having another developer dive into the code was not a possibility due to the way it was coded.

This key factor is not present here and we have had (hearsay) confirmation both that the localization is complete and that the game was still coming out by well respected members here. Correct, that does not guarantee anything, but comparing this to what happened concerning DWIV is irrelevant.

Yes, just looked it up and realized it was IV, not IV, and was going to correct my error (but you had posted, first).

However, whether it is Enix or SE, it is still the same to me in it happening again, even though it was before the merger of the two companies.

As for comparing this to DQ IV, it was only relevant in pointing out the fact that it ‘has’ happened before, where a game was announced from SE/Enix and then cancelled.

fates

The DQ4 PSX situation was different. Not only because this was long before Square Enix merger, but also because it wasn't out of a "oh, we're not gonna release this".

What appeared to have happened was Heartbeat, the company in Japan went up, and left Enix here with a project they couldn't work with. There was full intent to release it, and I believe had this not happened, it WOULD have come out.

In this case, it's different. If DQ6 is not released it's going to simply be because Square Enix just did not want to release it at all. There are no technical difficulties, in fact the text format and fonts were already in the game to begin with.

If this is a response to DQ5's performance, I would again question Square Enix's methods. Dragon Quest 5 has a small run here. It sold, it vanished. The only way to really get it now is through Amazon/ebay scalpers, and there's a lot of reports of bootlegs there. If Square Enix is going to complain that DQ5's numbers were low, that's their fault for not producing. People can't buy what doesn't exist.

And madara has the best idea ever. :lol

farnham

Banned
DQ 9 sold well. i think DQ VI and DQMJ2 is a given at this point. they will just take their time like they always do. (DQ VI was released this year in japan)
Princess Skittles said:

Heartbeat got closed?

i thought they just changed their name to genious sonority ?

Oxx

The person manning the SE Euro twitter account probably knows about as much of SE's plans as we do.

I imagine they just looked-up the Q1 schedule and saw no mention of DQ6 and said: "Not on the cards right now – sorry!".

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Haha. The vague comments of a SE EU twitter-drone are hardly with getting riled up over, IMHO. It's also worth mentioning that the launch of the 3DS is hardly an immediate deathblow for the venerable DS.

You don't easily leave tens and tens of millions of consumers in the dust so quickly. Not the best example, perhaps, but the GBA got lots of great support up until roughly the DS turned a year old.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Nintendo jumping on DQVI anytime soon. I would think that given their success with DQIX (it actually charted on NPD!), they'll be focusing more on Golden Sun 3, which hits in less than 3 weeks.

Still, if DQVI does get handed off to Nintendo, we definitely won't hear about it until Golden Sun is over and done with, IMHO. Also a possibility given their refer announcement about keeping the DS going strong by revisiting earlier (and presumably skipped) localization opportunities.

Top Bottom