• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI logo (and Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner) leaked ahead of reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson

OK, did ANYONE like DQIX on Neogaf? Because by far I see more people deriding and spitting on the game. I know it was popular and was a critical success elsewhere (other DQ forums seem to enjoy it) but here everyone seems to think its this anti-thesis to Dragon Quest.

OT: Sweet logo. Can't wait for the around 10 hours for this conference to start. Don't care what systems its on either as I trust the DQ guys to give a great DQ game.
Of course I did. I loved creating my own party of me and my friends and going on an adventure. It's the only and first DQ game I've played though. I don't think I would have played it without being able to create friends and stuff. Do the other DQs allow that or at least for your MC?

DNAbro

Um, I loved DQ9 with all my heart and soul. It's what got me into the franchise. I've since played IV, V, and VIII.

And it hurts so much that those DQ7/8 3DS games aren't coming here. And I feel like this one won't either :(

there is no way it isn't coming over

xaszatm

Banned
Of course I did. I loved creating my own party of me and my friends and going on an adventure. It's the only and first DQ game I've played though. I don't think I would have played it without being able to create friends and stuff. Do the other DQs allow that or at least for your MC?

DQIII is similar in that regard, though being originally on the NES doesn't offer customization apart from gender and character classes. But DQIX's party system is based on DQIII's system as well (though I'd argue that DQIII is only appreciated after playing the first two games for reason that become clear halfway through the game). DQX is a MMO so technically it scatches that customization itch but being a Japanese only release...

MLH

OK, did ANYONE like DQIX on Neogaf? Because by far I see more people deriding and spitting on the game. I know it was popular and was a critical success elsewhere (other DQ forums seem to enjoy it) but here everyone seems to think its this anti-thesis to Dragon Quest.

OT: Sweet logo. Can't wait for the around 10 hours for this conference to start. Don't care what systems its on either as I trust the DQ guys to give a great DQ game.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. I can find many criticisms with it, after 500hrs with it I got sick of the music :p. Some of the side quests to unlock classes were awful; ridiculous requirements.
I also prefer the look of the DS remakes of 4-6, DQIX could look pretty ugly with the mix of 3D and 2D sprites. Otherwise it was a really solid title, I loved the little stories; the story of Marion Bloome and her doll really stuck with me, possibly one of the most memorable and sad stories in DQ IMO. I also really enjoyed the post game content. It was different from a lot of the previous Dragon Quests yet still felt familiar.
I think people just like to hate on handhelds, probably never played the game and would rather just look at pretty graphics, quite sad really.

Vena

Its, imo, the best game in the series that isn't DQ:M or J...
which are better
. That or its tied with DQV.

I spent around 250 hours on it and enjoyed it a lot. And I didn't even try multiplayer.

The game was great, a lot of people just don't like handheld games. I think this type of grindy JRPGs is far better on handheld.

Lucreto

Dragon Quest XI for the PS4 while Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Scanner is a Vita game but also a companion app for XI.

When does the conference start?

Celine

I like it.
That said I prefer IV, V and VI to it.

With M&L Bowser Inside Story, Radiant Historia, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, The World End With You and Final Fantasy The Four Heroes of Light it was the best original RPG for DS.

Meffer

Yeah, me and a good amount of people did. Everybody wanted the Masuda map.

Sifl

All that matters is that when the platforms are revealed, someone is going to be mad as hell and it's gonna be great.

MilesTeg

Banned
Honestly i hope its ps4 just so it has a shot at localization. 3DS obviously has a poor record in this regard and the system is in its twilight years.

Mirk

All I care about is that I get to play it. I am biter as hell VII did not come to the west. All I have to do is wait for a fan translation and a good 3ds emulator... So 5-10 years if I am lucky. #*&$&#*

IX is one of the best in the series. In my opinion of course.

Teletraan1

Banned
I guess I will get this out of the way now since I will probably get banned if this gets announced for 3DS only. No console warrior bullshit, I hate the 3DS and Vita the same. I would hate any MS or Steam based handheld. I just hate handhelds and have made that clear here on gaf, check my post history. I find them uncomfortable to play period due to some old injuries. Especially for longer games like JRPGs. I tried during the DS and PSP days. I bought a bunch of RPGS and could never finish them until emulation was up to snuff. I have been very tempted to pick up a 3DS on multiple occasions but I always remember back to the previous handhelds I had. Unfortunately my favorite genre is JRPGs so since the end of the PS2 era I have a limited amount of games released for non handheld systems. I get the reasons why Japanese devs put their games on handhelds (development costs, popularity of handheld gaming in their native country) but I certainly dont have to like it. I definitely won't like it in this case since they have been talking up this game as a console experience which is why I have any interest in it. If they would have been clear from the start that this was going to be on handhelds I would have ignored it like I do every other handheld game. You will rarely ever catch me in a handheld gaming thread. No point in hyping myself for something I wont end up playing.

Instro

I think over time opinion has shifted a bit more negative on the game. It's pretty ok, one of the weaker games in the series, but good none the less. I think there is a bit of overzealousness from Nintendo fans who defend it as something amazing though. Maybe its because it was the first real DQ game on a Nintendo platform in ages, of their first DQ game...or both.

Einhander

Seeing as the logo resembles DQ1's logo, what if – and this is a big what if – the subtitle implies that your objective is to time travel to the DQ1 universe? :O (very unlikely scenario, but just throwing it out there)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
That logo in the OP looks like it came from an SNES rom image. Now all we need is a fan translation patch!

This was how I played V and VI

If I don't own the platform, I'll buy it. Hit me, Enix!

3iZivO.gif

I think over time opinion has shifted a bit more negative on the game. It's pretty ok, one of the weaker games in the series, but good none the less. I think there is a bit of overzealousness from Nintendo fans who defend it as something amazing though. Maybe its because it was the first real DQ game on a Nintendo platform in ages, of their first DQ game...or both.

...or people have different opinions about things.

DS already had two "real" DQ games by the time IX hit (IV and V).

gtj1092

Alarm is set. Is it possible to get streaming links in the OP and maybe the count down timer?

Hopefully the reveal will be better than my dreams.

Shahed

Call me cynical but i completely agree with them. The same is true for the people who say they hate IX because maybe they're PS inclined and say VIII is the best. And for the posts i've seen who love the pre-FFVII Final Fantasy's and dislike the ones after and vice versa. So many posters on this forum (and internet in general) who's opinions and statements I take with a huge pinch of salt because I get the impression it's clouded by fandom of one kind or another. At least until i know them better or seen them post enough to get an idea about them, but this just usually reinforces my initial outlook with rare exceptions. Yes some people are really bad at it and other's are more reasonable, but the underlying bias is usually there, even if they don't realise it.

And no. I'm not confusing preference with platform warrior's. Someone can prefer one thing over another without necessarily having agenda towards it.

Call me cynical but i completely agree with them. The same is true for the people who say they hate IX because maybe they're PS inclined and say VIII is the best. And for the posts i've seen who love the pre-FFVII Final Fantasy's and dislike the ones after and vice versa. So many posters on this forum (and internet in general) who's opinions and statements I take with a huge pinch of salt because I get the impression it's clouded by fandom of one kind or another. At least until i know them better or seen them post enough to get an idea about them, but this just usually reinforces my initial outlook with rare exceptions. Yes some people are really bad at it and other's are more reasonable, but the underlying bias is usually there, even if they don't realise it.

And no. I'm not confusing preference with platform warrior's. Someone can prefer one thing over another without necessarily having agenda towards it.

I mean, I agree with you to an extent and I'm sure there are plenty of people who prefer IX because it's on a Nintendo platform just like there are likely plenty who prefer VIII because it was on a PlayStation system. I just hate blanket statements. I've been a DQ player since Dragon Warrior on the NES. I adore Dragon Quest VIII on PS2. And DQIX is still one of my favorite entries. I also couldn't care less which platform DQXI releases on.

WolvenOne

Quick thoughts on the logos, given the small size these are probably thumbnail images for hyperlinks. I mean, they're way too small for any other form of advertisement I can think of.

As such we really can't day what platform DQ11 will be for. So, I guess we'll have to wait for the press event to find out.

stolin

I really liked it. I'm still pretty sure I was the first in NA to 100% a save file @ 773 hours.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29161507&postcount=7135

I wish I could have played DQX in English. MMO's are not my thing but I would have given it a good run because of DQ addiction.

I'm looking forward to this announcement to see which direction they go. 3DS, Wii U or PS4. Gimme gimme gimme in NA.

ryan13ts

I really hope this is a console game this time, along the line of DQ8 (One of my favorite RPG's of all time). Handheld RPG's are fine and all, but they just don't have the potential for that massive scale and feeling that you can get on a HD console title.

Instro

Well for one the remakes sold a fraction of what 9 did, both in Japan and the west. For two, I'm stating some possible reasons for why people have different opinions on the game. They are valid, it's not like we haven't seen those issues a million times elsewhere. I would say you could also find the vice versa is true with some Sony fans.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well in Europe VIII was our first Dragon Quest game so chances of IX being ones first DQ title over here are likely high.

Past the looks, I'd actually say VIII is the weakest game in the series.
My problems with VIII were the lack of job system, and the game overall was too easy.

...but then VII and IX were also too easy compared to the previous 6 on their respective launch system.

I still want XI to look graphically like VIII though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom